• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Today I felt like setting up my PS3 again to see if some of the games that I used to play still have their servers running and populated. Here is what I've found out:

Metal Gear Solid V

Immediately got into a game. Played three matches and might return later on. Even 720p and low framerate can't taint this game for me.

The Last of Us
I really looked forward to playing this again, but unfortunately it seems to be broken. I tried three times to connect to the servers and three times the game froze on me. It's kind of strange, considering it's a first party game. Maybe someone knows a fix?
EDIT: There is an easy fix for it. I just played two matches and it reminded me that The Last of Us really offers one of the most compelling online multiplayer experiences there is. In its best moments it manages to feel very authentic (think early singleplayer footage with this seemingly very deep enemy AI). It gives you just the right amount of information to make interesting tactical decisions without being too videogamey. Seems like I'll be playing this quite a bit in the following weeks, as the servers will be shut down in September.​

Uncharted 2
I got into matchmaking, left it running for about five minutes, but I seemed to be the only one looking for a match.

Uncharted 3
Took merely 30 seconds to have enough players to start a game. Unfortunately, I never liked the multiplayer of this one. Something felt off about it. I alway prefered its predecessor. Played one match, then moved on.

GTA V Online
As expected, it's still populated. Got into free roam and listened to two guys accusing each other of hacking/modding, then threatening each other with hacking ("I got your IP adress now."), and cussing at each other. After a while one of them said "I have enough, just watch now.", then the game froze. I never really got the appeal of GTA Online. It always seemed like a mess to me.

Call of Duty: Black Ops
No problem finding a match. Still buttery smooth, frenetic fun. Played two matches, and might return later on.

Max Payne 3
Got into a very laggy match. Got eviscerated by super skilled players. I might give this another try, but I got a little tired of switching between control schemes.
EDIT: I played a couple more matches. This is alive and well.​

What about you, do you still play online on your old consoles?

UPDATE:

Team Fortress 2
I forgot that this is part of the Orange Box. I never played it before. Got into a match rather fast, though I didn't feel like learning to play it, so I quit after a couple of minutes.​

UPDATE 2:

Red Dead Redemption
A special game for me. I spent way too much time in its single player mode and then even more time in its online mode. There are still people playing it today. The first free roam I entered had a handful of players in it. I shot some of them, then tried the quick match option. I rather quickly got into a game of hold your own which was quite full at the beginning, then filled up even more. It was quite nice to experience this game again. It hasn't aged bad at all to my eyes. The next couple of matches weren't so full, though. In the end I was in a four versus two of grab the bag, which seemed kind of unfair. It's still a ton of fun, though there are, obvivously, quite a lot of highly skilled players who have trained their auto-aim headshots almost to perfection.​
Wipeout HD Fury
Nothing to see here. The online option only leads to a network connection error. I guess the servers have been shut down.​

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Though I have GTAV for PS4 andPC, I still play the online mode on PS3. No, I don't hack.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well for me:
PS3 is 100% only for singleplayer games.
PS4 is 90% singleplayer games and 10% multiplayer games.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Black Ops 2 is still populated, CoD in general is active. Battlefield 3 is decently active too (1k~ players at any given moment compared to PC's 2k~ or so).

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about today but I replayed Duke Nukem Forever about a year ago and decided to press the multiplayer button for the hell of it. I found 10 people still playing it online.

I think paid online on PS4 and Xboxes hurts low-population games the most because people are unlikely to pay 60 bucks a year to play a small online game with very few people.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think paid online on PS4 and Xboxes hurts low-population games the most because people are unlikely to pay 60 bucks a year to play a small online game with very few people.
This is a really good point. Going back to Battlefield 3, if you compare the player counts on Xbox 360 vs PS3, there's a massive difference.

ETRmsgb.png

Oct 29, 2017
This is a really good point. Going back to Battlefield 3, if you compare the player counts on Xbox 360 vs PS3, there's a massive difference.

ETRmsgb.png

Huh. Crazy how different it is. I've been playing a ton of Battlefield 3 on 360 the past few months and theres alway like 6 or 7 full servers.

Cant find any matches in MW2 for some reason though :(

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
I randomly decided to try GTA V online yesterday on PS3. Surprised not only by how populated it was, but how visually bad it all looked. Christ, it looked awful.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to play Twisted Metal 2012 online when it was on sale awhile ago but it was still broken because of a feature they removed from the game that affected people who used it like me, making it impossible to go online. There were still enough people playing it to find a game, I had to use an alt account.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
The one thing I am so jelly about is xbox getting back compat and having Black ops playable. My fav COD game ever

OP
OP
plngsplsh

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
The good ol' days when online play was FREE.
That is one of the reasons I took the trouble to get my PS3 out of the closet. I have games on PS4 that I really would like to play online (e. g. Titanfall 2 or MGSV), but I really don't want to pay for a PS+ subscription just to do that - especially because I don't really have time to play often enough for it to pay off.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I did play one session of GTA5 Online on ps3 in 2017 I think and it was still super populated.

I swear this 12 year old sounding kid was beefing with me and my friend. 😂💪🏽

He would say stuff like: " you ain't from the hood fam! You ain't bout that life! You ain't bout life!"

I was like damnzz the mouth on this kid. For real hahaha.

Then instead of indulging him with his ghetto sassiness my friend asked him the question: "So what is your favourite anime?"

BOOM! He immediately talked passionate about anime all sorts of anime and was basically a big ass nerd just like us. 😂

Claymore was his favourite anime (which happened to be my favourite as well) and I was actually diggin the kid and his other vibe.

Shows you are people are fronting in general and a certain positive approach makes all the difference in the world.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing buttery-smooth about the PS3 version of Black Ops 1.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
To fix TLOU, just bring up the XMB when connecting to servers. It will eventually load. It has been broken since FB integration was removed.

Oct 27, 2017
I did play one session of GTA5 Online on ps3 in 2017 I think and it was still super populated.

I swear this 12 year old sounding kid was beefing with me and my friend. 😂💪🏽

He would say stuff like: " you ain't from the hood fam! You ain't bout that life! You ain't bout life!"

I was like damnzz the mouth on this kid. For real hahaha.

Then instead of indulging him with his ghetto sassiness my friend asked him the question: "So what is your favourite anime?"

BOOM! He immediately talked passionate about anime all sorts of anime and was basically a big ass nerd just like us. 😂

Claymore was his favourite anime (which happened to be my favourite as well) and I was actually diggin the kid and his other vibe.

Shows you are people are fronting in general and a certain positive approach makes all the difference in the world.
With some people yes. More flies with honey than...

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
Couple of weeks ago I went back and played NFS Most Wanted 2013 on PS3 and behold I found few people playing online

Oct 28, 2017
Black Ops remains my favourite COD multiplayer. I should fire that up again at some point. Where's my Black Ops remaster dammit?!

Oh and Max Payne 3 multiplayer was great.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Cool thread.

Love some of the games mentioned in OP lol. Weird saying that it takes me back when last gen still felt like yesterday.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I played was during Killzone 2's last day of multiplayer...
I miss Killzone 2 so much.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still get a lot of Street Fighter: Third Strike Online players on PS3, if anyone is curious.

I sometimes wonder who these people are, just random people around the world from all ages who either can't afford the newest console or just really love their old consoles and won't move onto the next-gen.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still play Battlefield 1943 and Red Dead Redemption online every so often on PS3. Did play Warhawk a bit too until it went down.

No problem finding full games.

I hope Sony surprises us and includes PS3 BC on the PS5.

Hell, I still occasionally play Star Wars: Battlefront II online on the PlayStation 2 with my old crew.

OP
OP
plngsplsh

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
To fix TLOU, just bring up the XMB when connecting to servers. It will eventually load. It has been broken since FB integration was removed.
This actually fixed it. Thanks. I just played two matches and it reminded me just how it offers one of the most compelling online multiplayer experiences there is. In its best moments it manages to feel very authentic. It gives you just the right amount of information to make interesting tactical decisions without being too videogamey. It will be sad to see it go.
Well too bad TLOU, Uncharted 2, 3 multiplayer is shutting down soon.
Good to know. Less than two months...
There is nothing buttery-smooth about the PS3 version of Black Ops 1.
I don't know what your point of reference is, but in comparison to GTAV or MGSV it felt pretty smooth to me.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I've tried playing some PS3 titles online a few weeks ago. Kinda what I expected:

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 is absolutely dead population-wise. Not one server was open sadly. Though it's still possible to play online if you can gather enough people.

Skate 2 works but trophies tied to online progress don't work and everything that had to be stored on EA servers is dead as well. I've also played with 1-2 random folks which surprised me to say the least.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have never played a MP game or MP mode on any of my PlayStation consoles

Did play MP on Nintendo systems and PC but stopped

Solely SP now

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Miss the days of playing bf3 on ps3 nonstop. The close quaters dlc was such a banger imo the best content dice created. Sadly i gave my ps3 away.

OP
OP
plngsplsh

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
I actually watched this video the other day. Was pretty interesting:

The first guy's answer felt kind of sad. Good video.
In some way it was a good thing that the PS3 didn't come with a headset. I think, I had it far oftener on PS3 than on PS4 that people had an interesting conversation during multiplayer. At least that's my impression, probably due to the fact that there wasn't so much noise as on PS4 where almost everyone has a microphone.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I actually watched this video the other day. Was pretty interesting:

If this is the same video that I watched months ago it made me sad.

The guy gets in a match of CoD I believe and finally gets a guy with a mic. He asks him how come he's still on PS3. He says how he can't afford it and he'd love to have a PS4.

Shit kills me when people are restricted from things they'd love.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This is a long shot, but can someone check the ORIGINAL Battlefield Bad Company to see if anyone is playing? The 360 version has long sense been dead, so can't really play it there anymore.

And anyone know if Bad Company 2 has any life as well on PS3?

Huh. Crazy how different it is. I've been playing a ton of Battlefield 3 on 360 the past few months and theres alway like 6 or 7 full servers.

Cant find any matches in MW2 for some reason though :(

It actually makes complete sense given the fact that online is free on PS3 and is not on 360. There are probably more people playing online on PS3 in general because of it.

If this is the same video that I watched months ago it made me sad.

The guy gets in a match of CoD I believe and finally gets a guy with a mic. He asks him how come he's still on PS3. He says how he can't afford it and he'd love to have a PS4.

Shit kills me when people are restricted from things they'd love.

Yeah it's a bit sad to hear that, but in the end it's just video games. All things considered, it's not that bad.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
PS3's free multiplayer definitely makes it more accessible to those that can't afford newer consoles/monthly subscriptions.

Garden Warfare 1 on PS3 easily has the largest population (subjectively in my exp ofc, as no numbers are public) while being the worst performing out of all 5 platforms the game is on.

is anyone still playing team fortress 2?

I still pop on 360 TF2 for that vanilla taste, and there's usually a few full matches in the UK at most hours.