• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I played this game for a week just before christmas and massively lucked out when I pressed f5 on the game website at just the right time. Managed to get in the queue ahead of the bots and got one on the 20th of December. Super lucky.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Should warn you that DF who posted it also said when they got through there wasn't actually any stock. Not saying you should dip out but keep in mind this one may have been a false alarm
Yeh I know the risks at this point haha.
If I don't manage to get one after this massive queueing process I think I'm gonna bail on looking until next year.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh... decided not to even deal with this until 2022. I don't need that type of stress for something that plays mostly the same games right now as my PS4 pro. When more exclusives are available then I'll grab one.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Is there not like a password system they can come up with to reduce the impact of the bots?

I have seen places sell new inventory as a raffle, so you just enter it and hopefully get picked, bots can still win the raffle but I imagine more actual people get a console that way.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
People said it would be different than the PS4 release in Europe and Germany. Me and others said it wouldn't.
Was worth it to sit till 0100 am after the conference to snatch a couple for me and friends. Only sure method to get one at launch, like it was with the PS4.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I don't get why retailers can't just accept orders and then fulfill them as and when they get stock.

I get that you'd get people placing back orders at every retailer and then cancelling the ones that don't ship first, or people ordering from every retailer and trying to sell them but if most people knew they had a confirmed order they'd be less inclined to buy from someone at raised prices.

It would also prevent websites from crashing too.

I just can't get my head round it. Some people say it's to create demand, but that demand would still be there, infact the orders while go through the roof.

Last edited:

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
how many orders would you take with almost little to no idea of your long term stock levels? you'd just get customers complaining that they're still waiting x months later.

But how many customers are still waiting all these months without one? And frustrated at missing out when stock arrives.

I'm sure they'd have been happy placing an order in December and recieving one in February.

And surely they could put a disclaimer at the point of order. Surely most people are aware they can't be given time frames.

Also the PS5 isn't limited edition, stock will normalise at some point so there's no issue in taking pre-orders.

It would be different doing that with a limited edition item as you'd end up in a scenario where you might have more orders than eventual stock. But with the ps5 there will be a point where every order can be fulfilled eventually.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
But how many customers are still waiting all these months without one? And frustrated at missing out when stock arrives.

I'm sure they'd have been happy placing an order in December and recieving one in February.

And surely they could put a disclaimer at the point of order. Surely most people are aware they can't be given time frames.

Also the PS5 isn't limited edition, stock will normalise at some point so there's no issue in taking pre-orders.

It would be different doing that with a limited edition item as you'd end up in a scenario where you might have more orders than eventual stock. But with the ps5 there will be a point where every order can be fulfilled eventually.
i assume if this was feasable someone would be doing it. it's shit but there must be some reason as to why no retailer does it.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I got one a couple of weeks back after about a week of trying. Followed a few Twitter accounts and Discords where they were sending notifications about stock drops, and then I got lucky by looking at my phone when one pinged about Smyths having stock. I think a few of them missed it as I was able to go straight in and order without any trouble – even the one that caught it only notified about digital consoles and I snagged a disc one.

The most annoying thing was that was my third successful checkout with one – I got one through both Game and Very, and both cancelled my order due to (presumably) overselling. And Very charged me and then took a week to give the money back.

It's definitely getting better. They're coming into the country at the rate of several tens of thousands a week, judging by the frequency and size of stock drops. And with any luck lockdown easing will give people more things to spend their money on.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why retailers can't just accept orders and then fulfill them as and when they get stock.

I get that you'd get people placing back orders at every retailer and then cancelling the ones that don't ship first, or people ordering from every retailer and trying to sell them but if most people knew they had a confirmed order they'd be less inclined to buy from someone at raised prices.

It would also prevent websites from crashing too.

I just can't get my head round it. Some people say it's to create demand, but that demand would still be there, infact the orders while go through the roof.

I believe ShopTo had backorders for a bit, but it was a limited percentage of whatever stock they had allocated for the future. Still, from what I could see that page stuck around a bit longer than the mad-dash of actual drops. I guess people are more hesitant to put down £400+ on something they aren't getting immediately.

Opening backorders with no limit is probably worse though - you'd have tens of thousands of orders which as you say could be cancelled in the interim, especially if multiple retailers offered the service.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who works at a retailer if we notice a lot going to one address we will cancel the orders.

We did this a lot with the animal Crossing edition switch consoles.

Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
In all honesty, im surprised people are still crazy for the new systems, I don't feel there is much to miss out on at the moment. Im quite content with waiting.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
still can't believe how easy it was in my experience to get a ps4 and xbox 360 on launch, these are still relatively impossible

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is going to artificially prolong this gen - it won't start for most people until early 2022 by the sound of things - and that's just being able to own one...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How does Series S look on a 4KTV?

I think it looks great, Forza Horizon 4 looks amazing running at 1080 and the enhanced 360 games look great too (Think they run at 1440 on S)

I've not seen many games running native 4k though since I only have a Pro to compare it with, but I made a thread about the S a while back and a lot of people with both the S and X said they didn't really notice a huge difference between the two

Edit: Thread is here if you're interested

www.resetera.com

Xbox Series S owners, how are you finding the system after 3 months?

I've had mine for a month now and I'm really impressed with it It's the first Xbox I've ever owned (Normally I own Nintendo and Sony systems) and it's a nifty little system I pretty much picked it up as a companion console, as I will get a PS5 at some point, so I saw the S as a cheap way of...

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Got one incredibly easy on Amazon yesterday for a friend who's been trying since launch. I was actually shocked and thought it was too good to be true.

the amount of queues I've sat in and quit out of.
The amount of queues he has sat in.

I added it to my wish list on Amazon a while back and when the Hotstocks app notified me and I sailed through the checkout and it got delivered today.

fwiw I preordered with Amazon and got mine day one.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Only 55k queue. Used to be 6 figure queues.

But I won't be bothering trying to battle to get one. I'll get one when I get one but it really hurts my hype and excitement for caring at this point.