• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While various female super heroes like Black Widow, She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) and Spider-Gwen/Spider-Woman/Ghost-Spider have made numerous appearances across film and television, there is one glaring omission from this list. And it's an unfortunate one because she was the star of Marvel's longest running female led super hero comic in their history.

And that character is May "Mayday" Parker.

First appearing in an issue of What If? that spun out of the 1990s Spider-Man: Clone Saga. Marvel was at one point planning on retiring Peter Parker and give him an ending where MJ became pregnant. When the decision was made to not retire Peter, Marvel balked at the idea of Peter as a father, and so the baby was lost. Marvel did allow an issue of What If? to run with the concept, and so readers were introduced to May "Mayday" Parker. Mayday had no idea growing up that her father was Spider-Man. Until the day Harry's son, Normie, goes down the same path as his grandfather and his father. After learning the truth, Mayday suits up as Spider-Girl, and seeks to bring an end to the Parker/Osborn feud.

What If? comics were never particularly huge, sales-wise. But this issue unexpectedly grabbed a lot of attention. Marvel quickly launched an ongoing about Spider-Girl. Lasting 100 consecutive issues (a feat that is nigh unheard of in today's comic market) before it was relaunched as The Amazing Spider-Girl, and then relaunched again and again before finally being cancelled in 2010. Mayday hasn't held her own ongoing since, but she has appeared in Spider-Verse crossovers (where she was renamed "Spider-Woman") and tie-ins. And traces of its legacy can be found in Marvel's regular comics universe (such as Cassie Lang taking on the role of superhero, and the "Stinger" identity in particular, and Jessica Drew's son, Gerry).

While Mayday has yet to appear in film or television, she has appeared in a few games either as an alternate skin (such as in the first Marvel: Ultimate Alliance) or as a playable character in some online games on mobile or social media (although these games have since ended).

With the concept of the Spider-Verse being a major part of the mythos at this point, hopefully there's a place for Mayday. She still holds the title of Marvel's longest lasting female led super hero ongoing after all.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
My name is Slayven and I approve this message.

Lot more interesting then Gwen or even Silk

OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Gwen wish she was Mayday. Spidergwen couldn't make her own universe interesting. Mayday spawned a whole new unit of Marvel

Cassie Lang being a super hero. Jessica Drew's son, Gerry. The new Thunderstrike. We still see the impact of MC2 in Marvel today.

(Where's the Juggernaut's heroic son?)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Girl is honestly a lot more fun than it has any right to be. It was unabashedly retro in its presentation as it depicted a Marvel universe where the glory days were over and what we had left was still worth fighting for, and Mayday herself mostly got into low stake superhero battles and soap opera angst that was Marvel down to its core. Reading it today in contrast to superhero ongoings that treat the supporting cast as a garnish at best and disposable, Spider-Girl put a lot of time and effort into making you care about the people in Mayday's life.

Spider-verse was dumb as shit because Dan Slott sucks, but tearing away that "Spider-Man by way of Archie" vibe for cheap angst is one of his most egregious sins.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
'Normie' is an even better name for harry's kid in 2021 than it was in the 90s.

I also think it's the most cathartic resolution of peter's entire arc as a human being always in search of love and financial stability after the loss of his parents and uncle to finally get a couple decades of normal happy family life. The absurd lengths to which editors and publishers have unnaturally twisted pete's life to keep him from finding that happy life is for real the most villainous shit he endures, and we are all poorer that mayday isn't a 616 staple. Also her transitive adhesive power thing where she can make stuff stick to stuff she's sticking to is a cool subtle little twist on the power set i always liked.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Also her transitive adhesive power thing where she can make stuff stick to stuff she's sticking to is a cool subtle little twist on the power set i always liked.

She can also repel herself off items she is sticking to aswell as repel objects turning them into projectiles. Though it does come with the downside that she has to actively concentrate to continue sticking to things, unlike her dad.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Honestly, she probably would have taken off more if she had a more memorable design.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Mayday is cool but it makes sense why she hasn't shown up outside of her comics, just a lot of baggage there in explaining her and like you say, Editorial really didn't plan on her being around.

Funnily enough if Spider-Man stays in the MCU long enough I can see Marvel introducing her that way and disassociating her with the Clone Saga, but I also feel like since Spider-Gwen showed up less people seem to care about Mayday

OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, she probably would have taken off more if she had a more memorable design.

I don't think the problem is her costume (which was originally Ben Reilly's Spider-Man costume). I think the problem is Marvel is scared to death of presenting Peter as a father. Presenting Peter as "old". Legacy is a major theme for her.

The other thing is Mayday was created by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz, who are legendary Spider-creators. And Frenz did not hold back on his disapproval with how Mayday was handled in the Spider-Verse storyline in the comics.

OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mayday is cool but it makes sense why she hasn't shown up outside of her comics, just a lot of baggage there in explaining her and like you say, Editorial really didn't plan on her being around.

Funnily enough if Spider-Man stays in the MCU long enough I can see Marvel introducing her that way and disassociating her with the Clone Saga, but I also feel like since Spider-Gwen showed up less people seem to care about Mayday

I honestly think we'll see her in an Into the Spider-Verse sequel or spin-off at some point. I definitely thought about her while hearing Peter B.'s story. The set-up is right there and she can be disassociated from the Clone Saga easily enough.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I would love to see her and Jessica Drew show up on the big screen. If we can have Peter and Miles and all these other Peters we can have those 2, Gwen and Silk and what not. Like there is clearly enough room for them all. I think its just a problem of them thinking Gwen and Silk are good enough but I hope Im wrong.

But give her a wholly unique suit instead of the one Ben had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see her and Jessica Drew show up on the big screen. If we can have Peter and Miles and all these other Peters we can have those 2, Gwen and Silk and what not. Like there is clearly enough room for them all. I think its just a problem of them thinking Gwen and Silk are good enough but I hope Im wrong.

But give her a wholly unique suit instead of the one Ben had.

They sort of tried after Spider-Verse put her in her dad's suit. She got a suit that was kind of a combination of both her original suit and her dad's.

5042626-tumblr_nyjlrvtgxt1qa6xpso1_1280.jpg

They still ended up putting her in her original costume for Spider-Geddon. I think the costume is more associated with her now than it is with Ben.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I used to read Spider-Girl when I was kid. It was such an interesting universe, and she was a pretty compelling character herself. I remember the stories would talk about Peter's final battle with the Green Goblin and how he lost his leg.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It was kinda like Marvel's Batman Beyond. One of the better Spider-family characters.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was kinda like Marvel's Batman Beyond. One of the better Spider-family characters.

Honestly, solid comparison from what I've read.

It is incredibly disappointing how Marvel keeps shooting Peter in the foot.

Figuratively and literally, considering I believe his leg had issues in Spider-Girl.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Plus one to the Mayday fan camp! Also, sorry to all you Spider-Gwen folks, but even May's symbiote look from Earth X is infinitely cooler than Gwen's.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The other thing is Mayday was created by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz, who are legendary Spider-creators. And Frenz did not hold back on his disapproval with how Mayday was handled in the Spider-Verse storyline in the comics.
Spider-verse was dumb as shit because Dan Slott sucks, but tearing away that "Spider-Man by way of Archie" vibe for cheap angst is one of his most egregious sins.

IIRC there were discrepancies Slott deliberately inserted to imply that it wasn't actually MC2 Mayday but an alternate universe version of MC2 Mayday.

Which is a bullshit answer, but that's Slott for ya.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The world wasn't ready for alternate universe spider family back then. She was so much better than Spider Gwen and the factory of spider characters they keep pumping out

OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC there were discrepancies Slott deliberately inserted to imply that it wasn't actually MC2 Mayday but an alternate universe version of MC2 Mayday.

Which is a bullshit answer, but that's Slott for ya.

It was Frenz trying to point out inconsistencies because he disapproved of the direction they took the character. He and DeFalco did a short story in one of the tie-ins where they tried to imply the Mayday in Spider-Verse was an alternate Mayday. But Marvel maintained it was the same character as the MC2 version.

And then they brought back Mayday's father at the end of Spider-Geddon.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I know next to nothing about Mayday, so I'm down to watch something with her.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to get through the rereleases of her comics. Been worrying each time that the next complete collection will be the last...

OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the aesthetics of the Raimi films were perfect for Mayday.

Jun 17, 2019
Mayday is very unique and still is the main image they use for Spider girl apparel. Gwen only got shot up because of Spiderverse. May had a whole campaign to see her come back and keep going.

Marvel really just should do a possible future character with her. Seriously she's worth it.

Also how is Harry, Reed, and others having kids. But Peter can't?

Oct 8, 2019
Mayday is very unique and still is the main image they use for Spider girl apparel. Gwen only got shot up because of Spiderverse. May had a whole campaign to see her come back and keep going.

Marvel really just should do a possible future character with her. Seriously she's worth it.

Also how is Harry, Reed, and others having kids. But Peter can't?

Because Spider-man was the hip teenage character, and when people write him as growing up someone has a midlife crisis and immediately reverts Spider-man back into "hip bachelor whose constantly dating".

The problem is that at least 10 years have passed in the story so instead of Peter Parker coming off like a guy whose constantly dating multiple women because his so cool it instead comes off like Peter Parker is a complete loser whose stuck in dead end jobs and cant keep a woman.

Jun 17, 2019
Because Spider-man was the hip teenage character, and when people write him as growing up someone has a midlife crisis and immediately reverts Spider-man back into "hip bachelor whose constantly dating".

The problem is that at least 10 years have passed in the story so instead of Peter Parker coming off like a guy whose constantly dating multiple women because his so cool it instead comes off like Peter Parker is a complete loser whose stuck in dead end jobs and cant keep a woman.

This is sadly true. As weird as it is I was so thrilled that DC let Bruce and Clark and othe DC heros have legacies and kids and families. And Marvel seems to only let certain characters have families. Heck Captain America (Steve) has an adopted son even.

So hopefully when younger writers come in they can bring her back. But I worry that the editors keep her away from the mainstream.

Though maybe they could do a TV series with her in it. Like a Batman beyond, or her future self comes into the past or something. Reverse spiderman in the future thing.

I would love to see her, Annie and Benji all in a story together. Come on Marvel Studios just do it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

This annoys me the most because he finally had a stable job that would not only allow him to be flexible with appearances to cover for him being Spider-Man, but also helped to explain how he has time and money to create all of his gadgets.

Then they expanded it and made him a billionaire, and now he's back to having a dead end job and two roommates.

They should've just let him stay at Horizon Labs, or at least go back to it rather than whatever the hell it is he's doing now, which is so basic that I can't even remember wtf he does now even though I read the books.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember I read one comic in the grocery store back in the late 90s. It was really cool, introduced Normie as well too.

I think I should actually read all of this series.

OP
OP
KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I started a reread of the series, and it's really good. The early issues aren't really tied to the Clone Saga. The central conflict in the early issues revolves around Peter not wanting his daughter to put herself in danger by being Spider-Girl. But May is absolutely determined to be the responsible person that her parents raised her to be.

And then there's just straight up the goofiest shit imaginable like the janitor of May's high school who has a penchant for collecting ancient mystical artifacts on his obviously high paying salary as a high school janitor, and who, after being pushed too far once again by these rowdy high school students, grabs one of his ancient mystical artifacts and transforms himself into a dragon monster man called the Dragon King and tries to murder a bunch of teenagers.

It's so good.