• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Yea - this is terrible on every level from Sony. They keeping pushing this bullshit over and over....
it's unfortunate because they may now be too big to care..... nothing will change unless they are no longer market leader..
gamers are the only one who can make them change... stop buying their games as they want you to.. speak with your wallet.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
They refer launch titles though...

The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

They should do a much better job at communicating.

They said it clearer in a Washington Post interview:

CzD1leF.png

Edit: The original interview is from The Washington Post (paywalled) but this screenshot is from:
www.mcvuk.com

PlayStation’s Jim Ryan on PS5 pricing, next-gen exclusivity, pandemic uncertainty and PS4’s continuing lifespan - MCV/DEVELOP

"We want to make sure people know they are buying a true next-generation console.”

And the original:

It doesn't change much tho.

Last edited:

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
Not true in my case, they are one of the few that make top toer quality triple A games that are leaps and bounds above what the competition is doing. If for the players is a free or cheap upgrade but in the end the game turns out to be trash, id rather have an expensive upgrade and a great quality title that I know most of sonys studios are able to make

I see where you come from. Do you think the value in general or production cost of, for example, SoT (constantly updated), Halo, FH, Starfield is worth less? Or, simply, is it just your taste?.
HZD is a beloved IP and there is a lot of hype for the sequel but how far can they go with the price and launch policies?
Apparently, it seems, quietly very far

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
love my new console that is still being treated as an afterthought to last gen at best and as a way to shake 10 extra bucks out of me at worst

Oct 27, 2017
Really odd that they won't even allow you to pay an extra fee after the fact to upgrade, like at minimum I would have expected that.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WTF so you buy the ps4 version and then down the line get a PS5 you must buy the PS5 version at full price?

Surely thats not right. Thats ridiculous.

Ostrava

Jul 31, 2021
Belgium

CzD1leF.png

In the only interview I find on the Washing Post mentioning this the text seems to be different from your screenshot. On the article you read:

While it wasn't mentioned in Sony's official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like "Horizon: Forbidden West" and "Spider-Man: Miles Morales" aren't exclusive at all. They're both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony's commitment to "next gen" development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.

"No one should be disappointed," Ryan said. "The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It's about people having choice. I'm really quite pleased about the situation."

Being that ther first paragraph isn't a direct quote to Jim Ryan but instead the journalist giving examples to ilustrate games that were first believed to be exclusive to PlayStation 5 but ended up being cross-gen. Their blogpost was made on the same day as the interview was published.

Either way, if the plan was to allow free upgrade for launch titles but no longer as the generation progressed they did a terrible job communicating it and are now getting backlash for it.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they're going to eventually backpedal on this by offering a $10 upgrade to people who already own the PS4 standard version. It's not a good look to have zero upgrade path for certain versions of your game.

May 17, 2018
This whole "well, TECHNICALLY he said launch games and, even though Horizon Forbidden West was specifically mentioned, and mentioned in the same sentence as other games with free upgrade, he didn't mean that one" is the fucking worst defense.

I don't give a shit if they can "get around it" with the language they used. They fucked up. They should eat it, not us.

Like, the response shouldn't be "well, you should have ran this by your lawyer before creating expectations."

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yea - this is terrible on every level from Sony. They keeping pushing this bullshit over and over....
it's unfortunate because they may now be too big to care..... nothing will change unless they are no longer market leader..
gamers are the only one who can make them change... stop buying their games as they want you to.. speak with your wallet.
I've made my disappointment at yesterday's news very clear in this thread, but I disagree with the notion that they're too big to care. Just recently the backlash they received when they announced they'd be closing down PS3, PSP and Vita stores made them backtrack relatively quickly, so I'm sure they'll offer an option for this issue after the negative press they're receiving. Now, do I think a simple $10 upgrade path would be enough? No, but they had already screwed up by pricing PS4 and PS5 versions differently and I honestly don't think they'll backtrack on that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they're going to eventually backpedal on this by offering a $10 upgrade to people who already own the PS4 standard version.

And when they do we'll all celebrate and then charging $10 for a next gen upgrade will be normalised.

Yay. All of those free updates we get are over-rated anyway.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
In the only interview I find on the Washing Post mentioning this the text seems to be different from your screenshot. On the article you read:

While it wasn't mentioned in Sony's official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like "Horizon: Forbidden West" and "Spider-Man: Miles Morales" aren't exclusive at all. They're both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony's commitment to "next gen" development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.

"No one should be disappointed," Ryan said. "The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It's about people having choice. I'm really quite pleased about the situation."

Being that ther first paragraph isn't a direct quote to Jim Ryan but instead the journalist giving examples to ilustrate games that were first believed to be exclusive to PlayStation 5 but ended up being cross-gen. Their blogpost was made on the same day as the interview was published.

Either way, if the plan was to allow free upgrade for launch titles but no longer as the generation progressed they did a terrible job communicating it and are now getting backlash for it.
They likely see it as the PS4 version still works on the PS5 "for free" but the PS5 version is different and is next gen. They did the same with Ghosts of Tsushima, changed it to make it a PS5 game. Can anyone upgrade the directors cut of Death Stranding, am upgrade path?

Ostrava

Jul 31, 2021
Belgium
They likely set it as the PS4 version still works on the PS5 "for free" but the PS5 version is different and is next gen. They did the same with Ghosts of Tsushima, changed it to make it a PS5 game. Can anyone upgrade the directors cut off Death Stranding, am upgrade path?

Death Stranding will have upgrade path for $10.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Death Stranding will have upgrade path for $10.

So they can do it there but not here? Seems like they have no real standard. Some games get free upgrades, others include extra items like we see in Ghosts and Spiderman for a fee, now this with no upgrade path at all? I have no idea what they are thinking other than trying to see what they can get away with.

Their whole we believe in generations sure got complicated. I'm hoping their show next week doesn't have an additional fee to watch a native 4k feed.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
I've made my disappointment at yesterday's news very clear in this thread, but I disagree with the notion that they're too big to care. Just recently the backlash they received when they announced they'd be closing down PS3, PSP and Vita stores made them backtrack relatively quickly, so I'm sure they'll offer an option for this issue after the negative press they're receiving. Now, do I think a simple $10 upgrade path would be enough? No, but they had already screwed up by pricing PS4 and PS5 versions differently and I honestly don't think they'll backtrack on that.
The real problem is they keep doing this .. over and over.. as if they are freaking dense... they keep backtracking and doing it all over again with new titles.. have they lost their mind?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

That quote is directly about how their crossgen games will have free upgrades. I really don't see how there is any way to spin this.

But I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise considering the whole "will be be built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5" is already nonsense.

Jun 30, 2021
I see where you come from. Do you think the value in general or production cost of, for example, SoT (constantly updated), Halo, FH, Starfield is worth less? Or, simply, is it just your taste?.
HZD is a beloved IP and there is a lot of hype for the sequel but how far can they go with the price and launch policies?
Apparently, it seems, quietly very far
I dont care of like Gaas games, its gives devs an excuse to release broken or incomplete games which is why I didnt care for or like Ses of Theives.
Halo personally has been a shell of itself since Bungie left. Halo had a great ending with 3 where the world was saved and they put Chief back to sleep. Since 343 took the series I personally feel it has been on decline ever since, and it gives me no faith feeling like they are launching half a game and in pieces, even the multiplayer wont have xp earning from matches on launch. Also we havent seen new single player footage which doesnt put me at ease
Forza Horizon by far is xbox's best franchise an developer by far for xbox, they were the only ones that were consistent and kept MS's head a float the entire gen.
Starfield Im not excited yet because we havent seen really anything for it also because fallout 4 wasnt an ideal Bathesds game and the last time they made a good game was skyrim but that was a decade ago. So far MS havent really given me what Ive wanted with games and loved franchises. Nintendo much like Sony, ruthless and stingy as fuck but they are giving me the quality i want

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I dont care of like Gaas games, its gives devs an excuse to release broken or incomplete games which is why I didnt care for or like Ses of Theives.
Halo personally has been a shell of itself since Bungie left. Halo had a great ending with 3 where the world was saved and they put Chief back to sleep. Since 343 took the series I personally feel it has been on decline ever since, and it gives me no faith feeling like they are launching half a game and in pieces, even the multiplayer wont have xp earning from matches on launch. Also we havent seen new single player footage which doesnt put me at ease
Forza Horizon by far is xbox's best franchise an developer by far for xbox, they were the only ones that were consistent and kept MS's head a float the entire gen.
Starfield Im not excited yet because we havent seen really anything for it also because fallout 4 wasnt an ideal Bathesds game and the last time they made a good game was skyrim but that was a decade ago. So far MS havent really given me what Ive wanted with games and loved franchises. Nintendo much like Sony, ruthless and stingy as fuck but they are giving me the quality i want
Lol on the halo stuff. I'm not going to go over it here, but there are some easy answers to most of your concerns there.

As for 343 and Halo, Halo 5 has arguably the best arena combat in the series and Halo Infinite plays stupendously well, as evident by the tech test impressions (and my own).

Jun 30, 2021
Lol on the halo stuff. I'm not going to go over it here, but there are some easy answers to most of your concerns there.

As for 343 and Halo, Halo 5 has arguably the best arena combat in the series and Halo Infinite plays stupendously well, as evident by the tech test impressions (and my own).
Ah i can see you have an unbiased opinion based on your avatar alone. Halo 3 was the best halo via campaign and multiplay, reach was good but didnt connect with Chiefs story which is great. Arguably 343 have released the weakest Halo games when compared to the previous ones and its a shame because its a pillar franchise, or was a pillar franchise.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember how smart delivery was mocked as just being a PR slogan.

If I'm reading right Sony don't even have standard procedures with ps4-ps5 upgrades with some having an upgrade path while this doesn't. What kind of BS is that.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They're not too big to care, but if people just complain on a forum and buy the games anyway, why should they care? They will only care if they see a big enough hit to their sales.

Also, for the store closure backlash I doubt they backtracked solely based on complaints, but because they saw there was still enough money to be made.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I hate this, I don't see them backtracking on it.

I feel like the backlash is much smaller compared to the PS3/PS Vita store closure news and Sony is dead set on asking for more money when it comes to cross-gen games. They are gonna weather the storm here so they can do the same thing with GoW2 and GT7, and sadly at the end of the day, people will just pay up.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It's "for the payers" , shed a superfluous letter to their eyes.
payers2slwk20.jpg

"Upgrade for Fee !"

This is not a good move for the players , what good is having cross gen servicing if it s to be treated that way on the upgrade path ... this is a brand new game with scalability in mind. :(

Last edited:

Yueezy

Dec 12, 2020
Sony is literally doing great only because of the expectation for the first party output at this point. They just have eliminated every pros they could have had in terms of hardware, services, marketing including price etc. If there is one miss with their first party with MC, it will be a critical hit for them going forward I guess.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

CzD1leF.png

Edit: The original interview is from The Washington Post (paywalled) but this screenshot is from:
www.mcvuk.com

PlayStation’s Jim Ryan on PS5 pricing, next-gen exclusivity, pandemic uncertainty and PS4’s continuing lifespan - MCV/DEVELOP

"We want to make sure people know they are buying a true next-generation console.”

And the original:

It doesn't change much tho.
The quote doesn't specify the games so it kinda seem like editorializing from the writer made it specific to Horizon

Nov 7, 2017
Given the experience offered by MS with their backwards compatibility and gamepass, this just seems another way that Sony is out of touch with their customers. PS5 pricing is obnoxiously high (up to A$129 for some games here) so they're certainly not improving the already lacklustre experience I've had with mine.

stangthang26

Aug 15, 2018
I use to digitally pre-order all of PlayStation's exclusives. But now with how they're treating these upgrades is insane. I'd rather wait a few weeks for FW to come out and catch it on sale. Slowly learning to break that FOMO habit that I had in my early 20s.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
It's crazy how they won't even allow a $10 upgrade path or anything lol. I can't imagine only having a PS4, buying a standard physical copy, eventually finding and purchasing the holy grail that is the PS5 and then having to buy the same game all over again unless I stick to the PS4 BC version. This isn't just not consumer friendly, it's consumer adversarial 🤣.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how they won't even allow a $10 upgrade path or anything lol. I can't imagine only having a PS4, buying a standard physical copy, eventually finding and purchasing the holy grail that is the PS5 and then having to buy the same game all over again unless I stick to the PS4 BC version. This isn't just not consumer friendly, it's consumer adversarial 🤣.

For real, I can imagine some pissed off customers.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
They do have an upgrade path for players to upgrade for the PS4 to the PS5 version. The path leads you back to the store to buy another copy of the game. Frankly I don't see the issue here. What, did you think you were going to get a whole extra game for free, like you already do with almost every other cross-gen game? smh at all this entitlement.

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, I am one of the biggest Stans for the original game, but this move has got me putting Forbidden West in the "wait for a sale on the PS5" pile. With no chance of getting a PS5 any time soon, there's no way I'd buy the PS4 version of there's no upgrade path.

Sony have just turned one of the game's biggest fans off buying it when it is at its most profitable. I can't imagine I'm alone.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
And when they do we'll all celebrate and then charging $10 for a next gen upgrade will be normalised.

Yay. All of those free updates we get are over-rated anyway.

Yeah I can see this too... Maybe. Sadly that would still be an absolute best case scenario for the consumer lol. But I'm not sure if Sony even cares all that much about manipulating the opportunity to secure any manufactured goodwill. They may just be in the "stfu babies, you know you're gonna buy it anyway" phase for all anyone knows. Power of the market leader.