• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
What a crap design. They even put little feet on the console so you can put it horizontally, but when you do, it just looks like it was knocked over, with a weird circle on just one side and rotated Xbox logo.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed from the moment I saw the stand that you would be able to pop it off.

Kind of disappointing to hear this.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
User Banned (1 month): Attacking Journalists and Platform Warring; Numerous Prior Bans for Platform Warring
"Microsoft sent our own Ryan McCaffrey (@DMC_Ryan) scale model dummy versions of the Xbox Series X and Series S"

This seems like an odd thing to do.

He probably tweeted at them that he'd be delighted to do unpaid promotion for a corporation by educating potential new owners of these consoles.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that the stand is not removable, but the response he got from MS doesn't make it clear if they are just referring to these shells or the final product.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Waiting for the instruction video where two Sony execs smugly demonstrate how to attach and remove the stand to and from the PS5.

#fortheplayers

Seriously though, while minor overall it seems like such a dumb thing not to make optional? You know people are going to fall over this. Depending on how you place it, I can see it becoming one of those things that annoy you anytime you notice it.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
It's worrying me how many people on an enthusiast board are oblivious to the fact that this is 100% done intentionally for airflow.

Intake through the bottom, exhaust out the top.

It's non-removable for people who would go between horizontal and vertical orientation, but either neglect or forget to put the stand back on so it can breathe.

Both MS and Sony machines are gonna be running HAWT.

my Dremel says otherwise...
I'm sure it can be cut off... if one were so inclined.
I def hear where you guys are coming from, but you gotta keep that shit sideways if you go that route. Just gotta make sure to put legs on it if you ever wanted vertical again...possible to improve the airflow that way even depending on the space provided.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think this is fine, because the stand being removable would just introduce other worse issues (like now I have a plastic doo dad with no home floating around).

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
The console will only fit horizontally in my TV cabinet. I hope my friends won't make fun of my dangling stand.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
"Gamers fuming that neither Xbox Series X nor Playstation 5 can be played horizontally without a stand . . . but for different reasons."

Definitely a clickbait title for some marginal tech website.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Remove the stand, sit it on a carpet, and then complain when it stops working due to no ventilation. That's what Microsoft is trying to avoid.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a non issue. "Oh no the stand clearly designed to ensure proper ventilation when vertical doesn't come off, horrible design" /s

This is going to be on my desk next to my PC and if I do put it horizontal it'll still be underneath my monitor or in an entertainment center, I'm literally never going to notice it.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's getting harder and harder to tell what is sarcasm lately.
I'm not being sarcastic. You're having two options and taking the stand off of this console is not an option. So if someone isn't willing to adjust to that then this isn't the console for them. It's that easy. Luckily there will be two other options for those people, and of course PC's exist.

If I want to buy a car with two doors, but the model I like is only made with four doors, I can either adjust to the four doors and get that car, or I should look for another model that fits my preferences.

edit: Like I said; I think the PS5 is an ugly machine, but I still want to play PS5 games so I can either get the ugly machine and play the games, or I buy the better looking machine (the X), but won't get to play the games I want to play.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm not being sarcastic. You're having two options and taking the stand off of this console is not an option. So if someone isn't willing to adjust to that then this isn't the console for them. It's that easy. Luckily there will be two other options for those people, and of course PC's exist.

If I want to buy a car with two doors, but the model I like is only made with four doors, I can either adjust to the four doors and get that car, or I should look for another model that fits my preferences.

Wow.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Is this a parody?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Honestly don't understand. Why not rubber feet? Is the cylindrical flow super important? Perhaps thats why the top of it also has the green disc beneath the grill, or was the mass produced unit drilled-through?

Guess for anyone who doesn't want to have this weird looking "knocked over" console, they will have to just stand it vertically.

Lmao I legit don't understand what's wrong with my take. Can someone explain it to me?

How is it not like I describe in my post? If you don't like the machine, or some features of the machine, either don't get the machine or just accept that it is how it is and play your games. There aren't really any other options, are there?
I think people are just super defensive these days. Even though your take is basically something that should be common sense if you stop to think about the situation with the ugly stand being stuck, apparently it must be a parody or sarcasm to suggest someone who can't get over the stand can either deal with it or choose something else.

The disc being permanent to me is ugly, but if I was set on getting the Series X I'd stand it up somewhere to avoid it. Luckily, my Xbox is my PC.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Lmao I legit don't understand what's wrong with my take. Can someone explain it to me?

How is it not like I describe in my post? If you don't like the machine, or some features of the machine, either don't get the machine or just accept that it is how it is and play your games. There aren't really any other options, are there?

You don't understand how telling someone to go buy a PS5 if they think it sucks that the stand on Xbox Series X isn't removable is ridiculously silly?

No one is boycotting the console because of this. It's also valid to say it's a poor design decision.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think people are just super defensive these days. Even though your take is basically something that should be common sense if you stop to think about the situation with the ugly stand being stuck, apparently it must be a parody or sarcasm to suggest someone who can't get over the stand can either deal with it or choose something else.

The disc being permanent to me is gross, but if I was set on getting the Series X I'd stand it up somewhere to avoid it. Luckily, my Xbox is my PC.
Thank you! I'm open for interpretations from both sides, but you see how I'm seeing it, so I'm happy with your reply. Maybe my wording was a bit blunt because English isn't my first language, but I'm glad I'm not alone in this, haha. I don't really like how the stand looks either, but it's there for a reason and at the end of the day it's just a box to play videogames on. Feet would've been better, but also less stable, so I get why they're going with this solution.

You don't understand how telling someone to go buy a PS5 if they think it sucks that the stand on Xbox Series X isn't removable is ridiculously silly?

No one is boycotting the console because of this. It's also valid to say it's a poor design decision.
I mean, there's still the Series S which plays the exact same library, or PC which plays almost every Xbox exclusive, so it's not really between a Series X and a PS5. I'm not even telling anyone specifically to buy a PS5 (I said two other options and PC, so that's Series S, PS5 and PC), but if someone really hates the stand and it's a total dealbreaker for them the PS5 is a comparable machine that plays many of the same games.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

Being enthusiasts a lot of us sometimes lose sight of how things are outside of Era / Twitter / etc. Your response assumes everyone is some sort of console fanatic and thus something like the stand making the console look ugly if its not vertical isn't a good enough reason for them to get a PS5 instead, or a Series S.

Things like price point, aesthetics, disc-drive, etc. all factor into whether or not someone might get a console. Especially your majority-market casual gamer who is either getting a console from their parents, or picking something up just to play some new games / play 4K movies / etc. and they have no stake in the imaginary console war, so they will get either one based on whatever metric makes sense to them at the time.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i don't get it....how hard is it to make it removable....it's just some screws....

So it's actually soldered on or the stand is part of the casing?

Oct 28, 2017
i don't get it....how hard is it to make it removable....it's just some screws....

So it's actually soldered on or the stand is part of the casing?

Looks like the stand is pretty solidly affixed to the base of the console. There doesn't seem to be hidden screws for the stand (eg. a lot of monitor stands) so I'm guessing the stand is screwed to the base of the console internally. If it was friction fitted, it would obviously be removable.

Depending on the internal arrangement, this can be an incredibly huge pain in the ass.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Odd choice. One would think the stand could theoretically slot into those holes and come off. But the console does look better standing up so..

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Then place it next to the TV or next to your lowboard or something. It's not that hard. It's a console that's designed to be placed vertically. They're giving you the option to place it horizontally even though that's not how it's supposed to be placed. If someone then maybe they should go for a Series S or a PS5 instead.

Wow are we telling people how to run their next gen households now? My place is going to be having a true hardcore next-gen set up. I will unscrew and mod the machine if I have to, I know dudes who are wizards with gaming set ups that make it so I will NOT have to make this decision at all. There is no doubt in my mind the tweaks I pay them to do to my machines will make them even better than you can imagine. I suggest look to your own words and deeds first when it comes to next gen prowess

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Being enthusiasts a lot of us sometimes lose sight of how things are outside of Era / Twitter / etc. Your response assumes everyone is some sort of console fanatic and thus something like the stand making the console look ugly if its not vertical isn't a good enough reason for them to get a PS5 instead, or a Series S.

No. It's the exact opposite. My response assumes most people don't have entertainment set-ups where a tall item would fit well.