• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
THE SPY, starring Sacha Baron Cohen, is inspired by the real-life story of former notorious Mossad agent, Eli Cohen, who successfully goes undercover in Syria and ultimately changed the course of Israel's history.

It looks to be a 6 episode mini series.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I'm not sure I've ever seen Sacha Baron Cohen in a serious role, I'm somewhat looking forward to this.

Oct 27, 2017
That trailer was some made for TV shit. I don't know why but ugh.

Anyway, Serious Sascha has me interested one way or the other. Nice to see him try something different.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix has just about lost me when it comes to their original movies. It seems like even when they secure good actors and/or directors, the movies are still mediocre.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The awkward posing and laughing at 0:54 fully reminded me of Borat.

This does look rather made for TV.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should check out Hugo or Les Miserables, he's a pretty awesome actor.
I'm not sure I've ever seen Sacha Baron Cohen in a serious role, I'm somewhat looking forward to this.

Serious Sacha feels weird man. I just look at him and I want to laugh.
A lot of comedic actors translate very well into drama

Even Adam Sandler when he tries can be a good dramatic actor

Also Hugo is great but I remember Sacha being a bit comedic in that role

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
I kept watching the trailer waiting for the comedy twist then realized this is a serious role. Still looking forward to seeing it.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I'm reading Inside the Mossad, incredible stories. Nice to see Cohen in a serious role.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix has just about lost me when it comes to their original movies. It seems like even when they secure good actors and/or directors, the movies are still mediocre.

The Irishman
Laundromat
Wedding Story

All 3 of those prolly gonna be serious awards contenders tbh

Roma was last year too

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
XwI9wHq.gif

Cautiously excited for serious Sacha.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The Irishman
Laundromat
Wedding Story

All 3 of those prolly gonna be serious awards contenders tbh

Roma was last year too

There are definitely some quality movies sprinkled throughout, but I'll wait and see. I thought Apostle and Velvet Buzzsaw were guaranteed quality films, but I was sorely mistaken.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
huh, looks interesting. I agree Cohen may not have been the right casting choice, his Ali G/Borat personalities will haunt him forever. One really weird/crazy trivia fact that may have been the reason why he did this: he is related to the character that is central to this movie, who is named Eli Cohen (so no coincidence last name is same).

But yeah it does look a bit over melodramatic and will probably be a bit of propaganda for the state of Israel.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It may be based on a true story but damn, can writers come up with drama other than 'the undercover officer's wife can't handle the secrecy and the double life fucks him up psychologically'. It's such an overused cliche and not the norm at all: these are some of the most closely monitored and carefully selected professionals in the intelligence world.

Sure, there a few historic cases where it went wrong but many more where it didn't... It's such a lack of imagination to go back to that same dramatic well when there's enough real world drama to draw from.

The French series Bureaus des Legends is much closer to what it's actually like: a serious job and craft performed by super trained people who know what kind of life they chose.

Oct 2, 2018
I found him funny AF in this trailer. Just cant shake his comedic schtick persona. All I see is SBC pretending to be someone else. (his accent doesnt help either).

comedy gold

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
think i googled the spy when i 1st heard about this
didn't he die by hanging or something?