• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Also gonna say this again. Peter could be such a dick in this show, especially in regards to his romance.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is the dickest thing he has done romance wise?

Not counting the bullshit that was One More Day?

Deb Whitman.

Sure, there's whole gaslighting love interests in an attempt to keep his identity secret (Gwen and Carlie both got this treatment). And then there's Deb Whitman. A brief love interest in the 1980s (who also somehow got a recurring role in the 1990s animated series), Deb began to believe Peter was Spider-Man. She was also mentally unstable so her therapist (in a shocking display of violating doctor and patient confidentiality) told Peter about Deb's "delusions" and had Peter dress up as Spider-Man and unmask before her, thinking the shock would show her how ludicrous her theory was, and Peter goes along with it!

What the actual fuck?

150907-83475-debra-whitman.jpg

Deb vanished from the series not long after, but did pop up briefly during the Unmasked era.

book.jpg

(I've never seen it confirmed, but I suspect this is where that joke with Liz from NWH comes from.)

He also may or may not have slept with Betty Brant when she was still married to Ned (the whole thing is kind of vague).

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Not counting the bullshit that was One More Day?

Deb Whitman.

Sure, there's whole gaslighting love interests in an attempt to keep his identity secret (Gwen and Carlie both got this treatment). And then there's Deb Whitman. A brief love interest in the 1980s (who also somehow got a recurring role in the 1990s animated series), Deb began to believe Peter was Spider-Man. She was also mentally unstable so her therapist (in a shocking display of violating doctor and patient confidentiality) told Peter about Deb's "delusions" and had Peter dress up as Spider-Man and unmask before her, thinking the shock would show her how ludicrous her theory was, and Peter goes along with it!

What the actual fuck?

150907-83475-debra-whitman.jpg

Deb vanished from the series not long after, but did pop up briefly during the Unmasked era.

book.jpg

(I've never seen it confirmed, but I suspect this is where that joke with Liz from NWH comes from.)

He also may or may not have slept with Betty Brant when she was still married to Ned (the whole thing is kind of vague).

????????????? What the hell Peter? And that doctor is a certified quack.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since we're talking Spec, MJ totally knows Peter is Spider-Man.

2424626-m3.jpg

This retcon is so funny. Some comic creators get so mad about it. This means every time she interacted with Peter she knew she was interacting with Spider-Man. From "face it, tiger" to everything that happened later.

It's hinted at in the show, but thanks to cancellation it is never confirmed.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Since we're talking Spec, MJ totally knows Peter is Spider-Man.

2424626-m3.jpg

This retcon is so funny. Some comic creators get so mad about it. This means every time she interacted with Peter she knew she was interacting with Spider-Man. From "face it, tiger" to everything that happened later.

Not hard to imagine the show taking this into account. It's hinted at in the show, but thanks to cancellation it is never confirmed.

Greg Weisman talked about it in an interview. They said she knows and the idea would be that one time she saw Spider-Man swing into Peter's room and not come out and she put two and two together. She would've been like Peter we are neighbors how could I have not known?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Greg Weisman talked about it in an interview. They said she knows and the idea would be that one time she saw Spider-Man swing into Peter's room and not come out and she put two and two together. She would've been like Peter we are neighbors how could I have not known?

It does make more sense that a teenager would live with her Aunt (particularly in the 2000s when this show was made) as opposed to living on her own (as she was in the 1960s comics).

For those wondering why MJ wasn't living with other members of her family, that is a whole thing. Oddly enough Watson family drama is never as prominent as you would expect. My theory is because the rest of MJ's family was introduced so long after Stan had stopped writing Spider-Man.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I have netflix because of stranger things, will finally check it out. Seeing people say its better than their beloved raimi trilogy has me more intrigued than Morbius when he met Vulture.

Interesting to see Sony slowly drip feed their Spider-Man content into Netflix instead of just dropping it all there at once. First Amazing Spider-Man, and now this.

Eventually Disney+ will get the content, maybe it will do well there but thats going to be a few years.

Well remember, the movies aren't flooding onto US Netflix or D+ because of existing contracts made before either deal.

You can't legally decide to just put them all on a service and not let the older ones have the exclusivity they asked for. It doesn't work like that.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! Been meaning to watch this show. Caught a few episodes back in the day as my nephew loved it and thought, this isn't too bad. Now I can see it all.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
just Rewatched the first episode

Man this show just absolutely gets the chaotic balance that makes up a good spidey story right from the start. Juggling school chaos, after school work, money issues and a 3 way villain battle, all while maintaining that Peter chatter. Meanwhile setting up long payoff threads from the get go. Another classic spidey story beat

plus while they change things around the influence of the original Lee & Ditko run are all over this episode.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 7 ends with Peter returning to the dance (that he had to bail out on to fight Green Goblin) only to discover that Mary Jane saved the last dance for him.

They knew what they were doing with this show.

(It's a reference to the song "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.)

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Well remember, the movies aren't flooding onto US Netflix or D+ because of existing contracts made before either deal.

You can't legally decide to just put them all on a service and not let the older ones have the exclusivity they asked for. It doesn't work like that.

That makes sense, Disney is having the same thing happen with the Films they got from Fox

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
What's up with 60s Spider-Man? Does Marvel not own that show at all? It's not on any streaming service.

Sep 5, 2021
LOL. That line changed Spider-Man forever. It was a meme decades before memes were even a thing, and was why MJ got turned into the love interest. Weisman had to fight to get it into the show (because Weisman is absolutely THAT kind of nerd).

Everything MJ said in those days should be a meme.

tumblr_l6jlr1jVld1qcgagno1_1280.jpg

(MJ spoke like this all the time.)

deadpool-11-mary-jane.jpg

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
You beautiful people! Spectacular Spider-Man is now trending in the US! Good work everyone! Netflix is also advertising it in the Mobile app!

Now new people can actually be exposed to it! Good work!

Now we must get it into the Top 10 to really get attention! But it's a start!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They really put this up with no advertisement and now it's trending. You love to see it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely could see the studio influence with the symbiote. It starts off as just a black version of Peter's costume like in Spider-Man 3, but eventually changes into a more classic design.

Also one of the background officers was named "Morales." This show ended years before Miles Morales made his comic debut.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 15 introduces Kraven the Hunter. Not sure about turning him into a cat-man, but it's gotta be a better idea than whatever the Kraven movie does, lol.

Fun fact, Kraven's first appearance was in Amazing Spider-Man (vol. 1) #15. (Said issue was also the first time MJ was referenced, but she sadly didn't do much in this episode of Spec.)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know it 's a terrible movie, but Harry actually killed Gwen in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Flash and MJ are clearly the supporting characters with the most depth in this show.

Totally tracks with the comics.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess this means that it'll move to Disney+ once the Netflix part of the deal expires. Either way, now I have a reason to rewatch the series.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You'll notice the S2 Venom episode after Venom tries to reveal Peter's identity, MJ is never interviewed.

(The show also hints that Gwen's father Captain George Stacy knows. Which matches with the comics where George revealed he knew just before he died.)

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Most of the ones before it arent very good either, especially on revisiting them. The 90s one was kinda cool at the time just for some of the arcs and guest stars, but its really aged (insert Venom driving truck gif here)
Yeah the 90s one gets a pass for all the Marvel characters they used and introduced but it is hard to go back to.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Update: Netflix fixed the search issue. Searching for Spider-Man shows Spectacular Spider-Man as a top result. And the show is popping up in the proper search categories also.

Not in the Top 10 US shows yet, but the fact that Netflix took the time to fix this over the weekend is a very good sign that they're at least aware the show is being watched a lot.

Good progress everyone! Cross your fingers it goes to the Top 10 US section!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If the ultimate goal is a revival for the show (which, let's be honest, is not something I would bet money on ever happening), it's to get the show trending when it eventually hits D+. Getting it trending while it's on Netflix doesn't hurt, of course. It certainly got Netflix's attention. But people should want it to get attention where Disney is focused on.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
How people can say it's the best Spider-anything without covering the amount of content that other media have is utterly puzzling, but sure, I'll watch it.

TBH I want to hear complex arguments why Spectacular is better than anything else. I don't see it

edit: granted, it's better than most TV adaptations

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
If the ultimate goal is a revival for the show (which, let's be honest, is not something I would bet money on ever happening), it's to get the show trending when it eventually hits D+. Getting it trending while it's on Netflix doesn't hurt, of course. It certainly got Netflix's attention. But people should want it to get attention where Disney is focused on.

Correct. But at the very least, we've done the ground work to make sure Disney+ takes getting this on their service more seriously after Netflix is done. Because Netflix snoozed on this for sure.

And you're right, odds are probably low for a revival. I get that. But hey, might as well try and say we did what we could. Worst case, we ensure the show never goes back into hibernation on streaming. Which I'm ok with.

But I figured that getting it into the Top 10 would either get Disney or Sony's attention. Not the first time a show getting attention on a rival service has gotten the suits to do something.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Maybe I'm wrong, but Greg has been pretty adamant that there will never be a revival of the series.

Which also makes sense, it's a Sony production and contract with Disney has since changed, and I do think Disney would prefer control over their own Spider-man animated series.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong, but Greg has been pretty adamant that there will never be a revival of the series.

Which also makes sense, it's a Sony production and contract with Disney has since changed, and I do think Disney would prefer control over their own Spider-man animated series.
I'd be fine then with Disney having Greg work on their next series.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Correct. But at the very least, we've done the ground work to make sure Disney+ takes getting this on their service more seriously after Netflix is done. Because Netflix snoozed on this for sure.

And you're right, odds are probably low for a revival. I get that. But hey, might as well try and say we did what we could. Worst case, we ensure the show never goes back into hibernation on streaming. Which I'm ok with.

But I figured that getting it into the Top 10 would either get Disney or Sony's attention. Not the first time a show getting attention on a rival service has gotten the suits to do something.

I agree with you. I just don't want people to get their hopes up because the circumstances are so stacked against this series getting a revival.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
You'll notice the S2 Venom episode after Venom tries to reveal Peter's identity, MJ is never interviewed.

(The show also hints that Gwen's father Captain George Stacy knows. Which matches with the comics where George revealed he knew just before he died.)
George knows for sure
I mean plenty of people were not interviewed as well though

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
George knows for sure
I mean plenty of people were not interviewed as well though

The show drops hints in the following episodes. George knows for sure.

And MJ knows. The show never outright confirms it, but if you know your Spider-Man lore and look at the way she talks about Peter, she definitely knows.