• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously

SERIOUSLY

Okay, so seriously, Jeremy Soule is not coming back. There hasn't been an official word from Bethesda, but he's just not coming back after the rape accusations against him. Microsoft isn't taking that heat. He will thus be leaving big shoes to fill. The music in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are iconic. Its brand of serene ambiance is unique, and there's nothing quite like it in video games.

Gareth Coker is immensely talented. If you have not played the Ori games, I urge you to listen to the soundtrack above. I have not played Ori, yet I have listen to its soundtrack multiple times over. Just put it on in the background while you are browsing Era today. Trust me. That soundtrack belongs in the highest tier of video game music.

There is a sensibility and emotionality to Coker's music that I feel makes him uniquely positioned to take over the duties of composing for the next Elder Scrolls game. I think he could perfectly capture the essence of Elder Scrolls music in a way that I can't see most other video game composers do.

Coker is currently working on the sountrack for Halo Infinite, which should be coming out later this year. TES 6 is not coming out anytime soon, which gives Coker the opportunity to jump onto TES 6 after he is done with Halo.

I very much hope that Microsoft and Bethesda see the potential in Coker. I think he would do a fantastic job.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I read that fast as well. I was excited about ES6 news lol.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yeah. Love this idea. The dude is on fire right now, and Ori 2's music is absolutely sublime. Can't wait to hear what else he has for Halo Infinite.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of talented composers out there. If Gareth Coker is already getting consistent work, give it to someone else. Maybe we'll get a new face.

It'd be nice if it wasn't yet another person who worked in movies/TV/commercials making ambient music you forget in 5 minutes like so many modern Western games.

exofrenon

Mar 30, 2019
Not every game needs to be composed by the same composer. There are plenty very talented artists out there. Bethesda itself already worked with many, like Inon Zur and Brad Derrick. Brad Derrick did an amazing job at ESO. He can definitely handle TES VI.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Huh, honestly didn't really think about this, but yeah. Fuck Soule and hopefully Bethesda goes with someone else.

Listening to some of the Ori soundtracks, I'd say Coker would be a good replacement!

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Coker would be a great fit, for sure. I'm very interested in what his work for Halo Infinite will be like.

Man, it's still crazy how Soule just went off the deep end. I remember him announcing 'The Year of the Northerner' like, two years ago now, and then never actually releasing anything. Then those accusations happened and he just vanished off the face of the earth.

They'll probably end up getting Inon Zur to do it.
This seems like the safest bet. Bethesda knows Zur, and he's no stranger to fantasy soundtracks, I can see him doing it.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
It just needs to be ambient over tuney for exploration and if the composer gets that they can go with whoever they want.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
That's a good choice.

I will throw in Clint Mansell (from movies like Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain), with relevance from him working on Mass Effect 3 and creating some great tracks like

.....I just like him haha he is able to create some great melodies and evoke a certain atmosphere that would lend itself well to games.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Looking into Inon Zur's work, yeah, he seems more likely. History of working with Bethesda and all that. Plus, he made one of the best title screen tracks of all time with Dragon Age: Origins, I have faith he could do it well.
That's a good choice.

I will throw in Clint Mansell (from movies like Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain), with relevance from him working on Mass Effect 3 and creating some great tracks like

.....I just like him haha he is able to create some great melodies and evoke a certain atmosphere that would lend itself well to games.

Always wondered why the music in Mass Effect 3 was so quality. I guess getting a big name in Hollywood can help with that. Not that previous games were bad, 3 was just a cut above.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Looking into Inon Zur's work, yeah, he seems more likely. History of working with Bethesda and all that. Plus, he made one of the best title screen tracks of all time with Dragon Age: Origins, I have faith he could do it well.

Always wondered why the music in Mass Effect 3 was so quality. I guess getting a big name in Hollywood can help with that. Not that previous games were bad, 3 was just a cut above.

I have a huge soft spot for Jack Wall and Sam Hulick's work on the first game, the music for the later games never quite hit the same heights in my opinion.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Austin Wintory hits the same vibes as Soule for me, without being a repulsive human being. Very different stylistically, but the wistful ambience and delicate orchestration is as present in Wintory's music as it is in Soule's. And if ES6 goes to Hamerfell... we certainly know Wintory can score a desert landscape.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Gareth would be a pretty good choice but I could see them getting the ESO composer instead, since hes already experienced with the series anyway.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Brad Derrick and Rik Schaffer don't get enough love for their ESO work.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Whoever did Skyrim needs to return. It's already the most incredible video game score. Without that score the game quality drops immensely.

Jan 4, 2018
He would be a very good choice. I'm sure that his work in Halo Infinite (alongside Curtis Schweitzer and Joel Corelitz) is going to be mindblowing.

What about Inon Zur though ? Could he do it ?

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever did Skyrim needs to return. It's already the most incredible video game score. Without that score the game quality drops immensely.
It's amazing but unfortunately Jeremy Soule is a dirtbag or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
It's amazing but unfortunately Jeremy Soule is a dirtbag or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Bethesda actually cut ties with Soule before the rape accusations. They apparently haven't been doing any co-operation or even been in direct communication since Skyrim. Soule hasn't even been consulted in TES music's orchestral performances. Neither Soule himself or Bethesda is telling why, but in light of the what women have been talking about him I wouldn't be surprised if Soule has always been a toxic guy to work with.

Source from two years ago: https://www.vg247.com/2019/01/07/elder-scrolls-6-jeremy-soule/

Gareth Coker

Composer
Verified
Jun 14, 2018
I am 99.9% sure it won't be me, but thank you! There are tons of composers who could do an amazing job with it including people mentioned here but also from places you might not expect (composers are far too often pigeon-holed as only being able to write one way which is quite often far from the case).

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am 99.9% sure it won't be me
Dumb.png

In seriousness, good luck with your upcoming projects. I'm sure whoever ends up composing TES 6 will do a good job.

Oct 27, 2017
I am 99.9% sure it won't be me, but thank you! There are tons of composers who could do an amazing job with it including people mentioned here but also from places you might not expect (composers are far too often pigeon-holed as only being able to write one way which is quite often far from the case).

99.9%....
Insert Jim Carey scene from dumb and dumber: "So you're telling me there's a chance?!...YES!!!"
Edit: beaten by seconds lol

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Gareth Coker is one of my favorite composer of the recent years. Love Ori and Darksiders genesis soundtracks.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I was thinking the same lately. Gareth Coker is one of the best composer in gaming world IMO.

Rik Schaffer or Inon Zur would be good too.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Well, he does have connections with Microsoft (worked with Moon on the MS published Ori games, and now working on the Halo Infinite OST) and Zenimax was bought out by Microsoft, so I guess on some crazy level it is entirely theoretically possible, and it would absolutely be fucking awesome. That being said, I expect Inon Zur or the ESO guy to be the one to compose TES 6.

I just hope they don't work with Soule anymore tbh.
The fact that they haven't worked with him since Skyrim despite having released 3 Elder Scrolls games since (Legends, Blades and ESO) is pretty telling, considering how beloved his work was. There's no way they bring back an alleged rapist/sexual predator especially if there was already bad blood. But yeah, I hope they don't work with him again either

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
If the title theme in TES: Blades is any indication, going from Jeremy Soule to Inon Zur will be such a massive downgrade for TES. I didn't like anything ambiental in Fallout 4 either, everything else except the main theme felt too discrete and forgettable to me .

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Love his work, I certainly wouldn't be made to hear it. Frankly, they've always had really good music in most of their games so I'm sure whoever it is will do justice to the legacy.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever gets the job I hope they can actually make battle music. Like, none of the past TES games have had strong, listenable battle music. It's just noise that happens while you fight stuff so you can get back to exploring.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Brad Derrick and Rik Schaffer don't get enough love for their ESO work.

I also nominate the ESO composers, especially Brad Derrick, to get the job done. They nailed some of the same highs and lows that one would get from hearing the Oblivion and Skyrim soundtracks.

The only thing they would need to improve a little bit is their combat music, as it's missing that immediate danger/sting of battle that comes out of nowhere sometimes in Skyrim. This is ESO's battle music and it's not bad but it's...lacking:

Whoever gets the job I hope they can actually make battle music. Like, none of the past TES games have had strong, listenable battle music. It's just noise that happens while you fight stuff so you can get back to exploring.

Basically this. Very few composers get battle music right in my opinion and it's unfortunate Soule turned out to be the type of person he is because he was one of them.

Last edited: