• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from the theater. It was great. Much better than I was expecting.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

tumblr_lrok1xi4521qdtw9eo1_500.gifv

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Psst..... he is a mythical made up creature.

Indeed, a very well established one. If he now has super powered quills that contain super energy (?) and a bag of portal rings (?) im asking if he can just go super sonic without the game prerequisite because they seem to be doing their own thing entirely. I don't think its a stretch to call it cynical when they're including such crude humor, product placement and completely changing some of the most iconic aspects of the IP/Character.

People get excited for a 5 second long credits stinger they probably made later into development is the type of consumerism I just can't understand.

Last edited:

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No we aren't. Sonic is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. He'll always be known as that. Everyone already knew who Sonic was before the movie.

Yeah some people don't get it.

Sonic is a really really popular video game character. Always has been. Even now it's managed to remain relevant with kids and retain its fans from the 90s and is literally the only non-Nintendo example of a kid-focused video game mascot having any sort of staying power in the mainstream consciousness.

Pac-Man, Mega Man, Spyro, Crash, none of them have managed what Sonic has over the past three decades.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Sonic is a really really popular video game character. Always has been. Even now it's managed to remain relevant with kids and retain its fans from the 90s and is literally the only non-Nintendo example of a kid-focused video game mascot having any sort of staying power in the mainstream consciousness.

Pac-Man, Mega Man, Spyro, Crash, none of them have managed what Sonic has over the past three decades.
Yep. The only evidence you need is Sonic's video game history. Look at how many flops and poorly received games the franchise has survived. Other franchises would have been killed by just one Sonic 06 or Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
People here will hate me for saying this , But I also see a lot of people think Pokemon started with the TV show.
Nintendo might be huge in US and Japan. But in many other countries , everyone's first introduction to Pokemon was through the TV show.

Gaming isn't actually as mainstream as many think, at least until Mobile and F2P hit.

No we aren't. Sonic is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. He'll always be known as that. Everyone already knew who Sonic was before the movie.

You aren't wrong , Sonic is a far more iconic game. But We have gone through an entire decade without a major game. For a new generation of kids this could be their entry into the franchise.

Edit:

ohhh wait Forgot about that one. Yea that game was huge , I guess a lot of kids would know Sonic from that game.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You aren't wrong , Sonic is a far more iconic game. But We have gone through an entire decade without a major game. For a new generation of kids this could be their entry into the franchise.

Edit:

ohhh wait Forgot about that one. Yea that game was huge , I guess a lot of kids would know Sonic from that game.

Sonic Mania is hovering around 85 metacritic and sold over 1 million copies, not too shabby. Sonic is hardly dead.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

I feel like it's easier to translate Sonic to other media because compared to the rest (except Spyro) he talks a lot and his cast are also well known, Sonic X was one of my favorite shows growing up.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania is hovering around 85 metacritic and sold over 1 million copies, not too shabby. Sonic is hardly dead.

Not saying the games are bad. Or that hes dead. But 1m is quite small in the grand scheme of things.

But for the past 10 years this and Sonic Dash seems to be the biggest things Sonic has had in terms of large audience. Idk how well the Boom TV show did , that might be there too.

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. The only evidence you need is Sonic's video game history. Look at how many flops and poorly received games the franchise has survived. Other franchises would have been killed by just one Sonic 06 or Sonic and the Secret Rings.
Secret Rings wasn't a flop. It wasn't particularly badly recieved it was mixed, plus it was just a spinoff title. And I liked it to be honest...

Oct 28, 2017
I really do feel like a new Sonic game could do massive numbers if it had the quality and the backing from Sega. A Sonic game with the production and ambition of Unleashed and the quality of Mania could do gangbusters if Sega gave it a proper marketing campaign.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Would you rather them not try to set up a sequel by teasing one at the end of this movie? I took it as a measure of confidence that they expected it to perform well to justify a follow-up movie. If we don't get one at this point, there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people out there including myself.

That's not what I said. Im looking at reactions of people screaming in theatre over a credits stinger. Maybe its a usa thing like clapping at the end of movies.
Because of the plot it also means that
Sonic doesn't even really know Tails since he grew up in the other dimension
Def feels like it was added later.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is a little off topic, but is Sonic still relevant with children? There haven't been that many AAA great games out of that franchise in the past ten years, so I'm not sure what the entry point for the schoolyard crowd would be. I mean, with the Detective Pikachu movie, at least the main Pokemon games are still competent if uninspired, and Pokemon Go's popularity explosion was not that long ago.

Does anyone have insight to how young people would know about the Sonic franchise enough to buy movie tickets?
My kids like Sonic just as much as pokemon.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, my four year old son loves Sonic. He's just a familiar character more than anything else. I think Sega done a good job keeping Sonic somewhat culturally relevant even while the games kind of continue to become less important. This movie is a real stroke of luck for them.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
That's not what I said. Im looking at reactions of people screaming in theatre over a credits stinger. Maybe its a usa thing like clapping at the end of movies.
Because of the plot it also means that
Sonic doesn't even really know Tails since he grew up in the other dimension
Def feels like it was added later.

Oooh, okay, now you're making sense. Yeah, that's just how we react to movies over here. Not saying I agree with it but American theaters are generally noisy and over-enthusiastic, especially for nerdy films with a packed audience on opening night. It's been like that for a long time.

Have you seen any of the many theater etiquette threads on Era? Screaming over movies in America is nothing new. lol

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Not saying the games are bad. Or that hes dead. But 1m is quite small in the grand scheme of things.

But for the past 10 years this and Sonic Dash seems to be the biggest things Sonic has had in terms of large audience. Idk how well the Boom TV show did , that might be there too.

Don't forget MARIO + Sonic at the olympics and Smash Bros

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear. I'm taking my son to see it tomorrow morning.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the movie and I loved it. Jim Carrey did a great job channeling his craziness into this and wow did that mid credit scene hype everyone up. Hopefully next movie involves more of Sonics friends.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019

Skylanders, as maligned as it was with older audiences, were fairly popular outside of the online enthusiast bubble.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
This is a little off topic, but is Sonic still relevant with children? There haven't been that many AAA great games out of that franchise in the past ten years, so I'm not sure what the entry point for the schoolyard crowd would be. I mean, with the Detective Pikachu movie, at least the main Pokemon games are still competent if uninspired, and Pokemon Go's popularity explosion was not that long ago.

Does anyone have insight to how young people would know about the Sonic franchise enough to buy movie tickets?

My four year old LOVES sonic, maybe even more than Mario...

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Oooh, okay, now you're making sense. Yeah, that's just how we react to movies over here. Not saying I agree with it but American theaters are generally noisy and over-enthusiastic, especially for nerdy films with a packed audience on opening night. It's been like that for a long time.

Have you seen any of the many theater etiquette threads on Era? Screaming over movies in America is nothing new. lol
This is still a blanket statement. I don't know that I've ever been to a movie where being obnoxious was the status quo. Of course there's been the occasional douchebag, but never a majority of the audience.

Clapping at a movie was something I never even fathomed before somebody brought it up online...and I honestly thought they were messing with me.