• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is it wrong that I want a Sonic game with the designs of the movie versions of the characters. They look great.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
no other characters are teased, You see some weird tribal echidnas and an owl but they aren't from the games afaik

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
If Pikachu loses, I want avatar #4. If Sonic loses, I think #2 is the funniest!

Anyways, I hope these positive impressions hold up when critics watch it, the idea of a Sonic movie doing better crtiically than the games lately would be pretty unexpected!

Oct 28, 2017
Would just like to say that I was behind this movie from the first trailer when everyone else was doing nothing but shitting on it. Just saying.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Is the spoiler being posted the same one THAT FUCKING YOUTUBE ALREADY SPOILED FOR ME?!

Is it
Tails?

Yeah.

no other characters are teased, You see some weird tribal echidnas and an owl but they aren't from the games afaik

Tribal echidnas? Is it perhaps the movie's take on the Knuckles clan from Sonic Adventure?

latest

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Would just like to say that I was behind this movie from the first trailer when everyone else was doing nothing but shitting on it. Just saying.
I thought it looked okay except for the design, which was horrid enough to ruin it for me. But Carrey Eggman looked great, and I found the use of Gangsta Paradise charming and ironic.

But Christ

giphy.gif

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to look at that spoiler image, but I'm saving myself until next friday

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm glad that Colleen O'Shaughnessey is seemingly reprising her role as Tails from the games. Not every character needs to have a celebrity voice.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Sonic movie will help Jim Carrey's career more than Jim Carrey will help the Sonic movie's box office.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The Sonic movie will help Jim Carrey's career more than Jim Carrey will help the Sonic movie's box office.
I think it's a mix of both, it's been a long time since he's done a comedy vehicle and I would assume that's partly out of choice. He won't mean anything to the kids but for the parents? The 30/40-somethings who might have grown up playing Sonic in the 90s? He'll be a draw.

If it does well enough to get sequels that'll be several hits for Carrey.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Got my tickets for me, my wife, and our son for the morning of the 16th. I was a Sonic fanboy back in the day ( I flipped shit at Sonic's Brawl reveal) and the only thing keeping me from jumping in initially was the awful Sonic design. Once that was fixed going to see this with the fam was a no brainer. :)

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a thought...

What if Sonic is a better movie?

I mean that's totally possible. As much as I loved Detective Pikachu, that was more because of Pokemon fan service than how it was as a standalone movie, which I felt sorta fell apart at the end.

I don't think Detective Pikachu is some sort of unstoppable hurdle for the Sonic movie to overcome.

Now I wonder if it'll actually beat the highest rated video game movie of all time...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_angry_birds_movie_2

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The ironic thing is both are really niche references. The Tribal Echdinas are from the first Sonic Adventure game, they're part of the (I shit you not) "Knuckles Tribe", who are Knuckles ancestors in the game universe as well.

The Owl may actually be a reference to the Sonic OVA, which was titled "Sonic the Movie" in America. And it might be included slightly as a nod to the character from the thing up until now that people have meant when they say "Sonic the Movie", in the Sonic OVA movie the Owl was a kinda' blind wise but goofy character who was an elder who sorta' took care of Sonic growing up on South Island.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How many of these "Cartoon's in real life now" movies have been good?

Have any of them? Smurfs? Chipmunks? Garfield? Because that's the crowd this movie hangs with.
I remember enjoying the Fat Albert movie, but I'm sure if I revisited it I'd find it was actually shit.

That doesn't count because Roger Rabbit was an original IP and not a pre-existing media property (yeah, yeah, I know there was a novel, but who gives a shit).

Oct 28, 2017
I remember enjoying the Fat Albert movie, but I'm sure if I revisited it I'd find it was actually shit.

That doesn't count because Roger Rabbit was an original IP and not a pre-existing media property (yeah, yeah, I know there was a novel, but who gives a shit).
But it did have shit loads of existing cartoons appear in the movie and that was a large part of its appeal.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How many of these "Cartoon's in real life now" movies have been good?

Have any of them? Smurfs? Chipmunks? Garfield? Because that's the crowd this movie hangs with.

I can really only say Enchanted, that's it on that front.

Sonic's gonna have an uphill battle for itself. Though I feel if it even gets OK reviews people will go out and watch it.