• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This was probably my favorite left field moment from IDW Sonic out of the first 12 issues I've read:

EIetLSSX0AEBRyi

for context:

can't tell me it wasn't deliberate

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I read a lot of the pages of the tumblr linked earlier, but it felt like I was reading CinemaSins stuff. Emphasizing too much on the little stuff is gonna make the real crazy shit you see in the comics later have a lot less impact.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was probably my favorite left field moment from IDW Sonic out of the first 12 issues I've read:

EIetLSSX0AEBRyi

for context:

can't tell me it wasn't deliberate

Intentional Ian Flyn does this all the time, Will see if I can find my favorite one he did...

Y5VBeZWsi4Oxz117enccXCu4QeS3EGqDYKr-Ots1SdYCJk6GniMbwPh421EyzQbm5V8Tk89WXFsi=s1600

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
As a total outsider on this subject, all I can add is that everything I've seen from it of Tangle the lemur looks like a delight.
4c0.jpeg

This character is such a cartoon in a classic sense, like they just completely ran with the concept of a cartoon ring-tailed lemur.
latest

latest

These two should have their own game together.
latest

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the UK sonic comics. Didn't read them when they came out but but I got a large chunk of the run from a charity shop when I was 11 or 12 and had great fun reading it.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I used to read this stuff when it first printed--I have a real sentimental attachment to it, but looking back I realize alot of it wasn't very good until Ian and the gang came along.

Speaking of which, I LOVED what he did with the comic, before and after the reboot. While I was happy he was going to continue working on the IDW comics, it's such a damn shame all his story ideas got flushed twice.

While it was a strong start, I kinda feel like the IDW comic is spinning its wheels. I am hopeful it will be a vastly different product within three years.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Meanwhile over at Nintendo publishing. Nintendoes what Segadon´t. Warning NSFW?:
vEgWZqEl.jpg

Ken Penders got nothing on official manga adaptations of games. The 1996 kodomo (children's) manga is still going with 40+ volumes. There is also a Pokemon manga by a Lolicon artist and... Look forward to a WTF manga/anime adaptations of games topic in your future. Atlus especially committed some actual war crimes against their property back in the 90s due to Tokyo Revelation being part of a lengthy sub-franchise. Sonic got away lightly over at Archie i say.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what bugs me the most about Mobius 25 years later? How lazy the kids designs are.
mxyl47.jpg

That's not Sonic and Tails those are their sons. (Plus mini Sally and Mina so the daughters weren't any better.)

Give me 5 minutes and I could probably find more interesting children designs online.

(On an unrelated note Tails gets like a new love interest with every adaptation, it's weird.)

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Sega gave me a few of these comics when I sent them some (shitty) Sonic fanart I drew as a kid. Awesome comics.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Meanwhile over at Nintendo publishing. Nintendoes what Segadon´t. Warning NSFW?:
vEgWZqEl.jpg

Ken Penders got nothing on official manga adaptations of games. The 1996 kodomo (children's) manga is still going with 40+ volumes. There is also a Pokemon manga by a Lolicon artist and... Look forward to a WTF manga/anime adaptations of games topic in your future. Atlus especially committed some actual war crimes against their property back in the 90s due to Tokyo Revelation being part of a lengthy sub-franchise. Sonic got away lightly over at Archie i say.

LOL that is an amazing panel. What the fuck.

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Sonic the Comic so much, but Super Sonic was something else. Look at this asshole.

latest

The end of one particular issue where Sonic transforms back to normal and thinks he's murdered Tails and Amy was wild.

Also, shout out to Shortfuse the Cybernik, if any of the handful of people who remember him are reading this post.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So whats the best starting up if i want to get the good stuff in the later archie run? I read like the first 50 issues which were pretty normal for the most part but it gets boring after they defeat robotnik

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man, I used to love these comics, read them religiously, plus all the spin offs and special editions from like comic 1 to 70 something before I fell off.

I learned to draw from tracing the comics too, brings back such memories. I probably still only have a few of the original comics, I read them so much they'd fall apart.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the best starting up if i want to get the good stuff in the later archie run? I read like the first 50 issues which were pretty normal for the most part but it gets boring after they defeat robotnik
Flynn's run starts at #160, while the reboot kicks in at #252. Sonic Universe starts somewhere around the late 190s and runs as a mostly independent spinoff in parallel with the main series.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
This is actually the first time I've realised that there's no in-game depiction of Super Sonic as a Hulk, that perception has come entirely from growing up on the UK comics.

May 13, 2019
On a related note I say the Wispons are one of the best additions made to the series lore in a while. It adds firearms without breaking the suspension of disbelief like Shadow's did.
latest

On that note, Whisper is adorable.
tumblr_pdica9h54R1r2r81io1_400.png
I've been reading a bit about Whisper and... She's a female wolf that worked as a sniper in a unit along with a gunslinger ocelot, the leader of said unit, and an octopus whose speciality was impersonation.

I kind of see a pattern here...

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading a bit about Whisper and... She's a female wolf that worked as a sniper in a unit along with a gunslinger ocelot, the leader of said unit, and an octopus whose speciality was impersonation.

I kind of see a pattern here...
Said Ocelot also wears a beret.
latest

We also got a psychic and a big burly dude with a mini-gun.
EGzs3heX0AIqJCD

Yeah someone on the writing team is a Metal Gear fan.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC the whole reason Sega twigged onto the Archie comic in the first place was the infamous "Sonic curled against a wall crying that his girlfriend is getting married" cover.

Really highlights just badly Sega badly mismanage their IP, why would they not ensure quality control and enforces rules on what they can and can't with Sonic.

They made Tails shoot/Kill his own girlfriend in Sonic X

Oh god, I forgot how stupid Sonic X was

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
These are a lot funnier when I read every line from Sonic and characters that look like Sonic in my head in Sonic's current voice.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't remember that shit either. Universe?
StH #247. The issue ends on the very next page as the series as a whole cuts away to Worlds Collide for a while, and when the reboot started up afterwards and tried to tie off the immediate loose ends, the monster suddenly looked like this instead:

EyWw8Fc.png

Can't imagine why they changed it. 🤔

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair in this context I don't mind it as it's just a joke that wouldn't be out of place in a cartoon. They make jokes like that all the time. And it actually focuses on a nice stable loving couple so it doesn't feel to jarring.

Now some of the shit Penders tries to pull?
tumblr_inline_ombnc4wIcS1rndb2x_1280.jpg

Yeah fuck that.

(Don't worry that's Sonic's evil twin, the one who eventually turns into the green OC someone posted earlier.)
Ah, good, there is fucking.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was an alternate universe where everyone turned into Kaiju.
tumblr_inline_ntgnh4bFbu1rrfnse_500.jpg

tumblr_prqrspOwco1u4is2oo2_500.png

Main universe Sonic ends up accidentally killing his Kaiju verse dad.

Also Tails is Devilman.
tumblr_prqry1JBzp1u4is2oo2_500.png

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So just in case those Metal Gear references in Tangle and Whisper were just to subtle.
ELi_YCgXYAEsT5x

Also Cream has depression and almost everyone is dead.
EM7uso6U0AASagQ