• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh and much like the show the (sadly short lived) Sonic Boom comic looks like it was pretty great too.
Screen-Shot-2014-10-30-at-9.50.39-AM.png

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really should read the Sonic the Comic run...I'm glad I mostly drop the Archie run, kind of regret not fully going back when Ian Flynn took over though.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These comics are wild. I can't believe there was so little oversight from Sega.

Then again, Sega thought giving Shadow a gun was a good idea, so maybe it wouldn't have made a difference.
On a related note I say the Wispons are one of the best additions made to the series lore in a while. It adds firearms without breaking the suspension of disbelief like Shadow's did.
latest

On that note, Whisper is adorable.
tumblr_pdica9h54R1r2r81io1_400.png

Oct 25, 2017
These pages are actually what made me start reading the IDW series. It's just so weirdly brutal and caught me off guard.

qkzdorh4fpr31.jpg

07i4uXo.png

It plays the zombie angle so horrifyingly straight and I love it.
A certain little rabbit just lost her entire family (her mom and two Chao, but the robot in Sonic Advance 3 still protects her).
She's more than traumatized at this point, but it's a bit surprising she holding it in right now.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
On a related note I say the Wispons are one of the best additions made to the series lore in a while. It adds firearms without breaking the suspension of disbelief like Shadow's did.
latest

On that note, Whisper is adorable.
tumblr_pdica9h54R1r2r81io1_400.png
i think the alien weponry was fun it was the weird ass human military weapons that were off

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It gets even better once you realize Archie Sonic's feats are so ludicrous that he's one of the most powerful characters ever conceived in all of fiction.

That's not even an exaggeration. Super Sonic is capable of defeating beings who can annihilate thousands of multiverses simultaneously. The shit he pulls off is ridiculous.

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
The Fleetway UK comic was great - I picked it up every fortnight as a kid, all the way through to the end.

The things I remember loving at the time:
- introduction of Metal Sonic / Metallix in the Sonic CD adaptation

- the introduction of Chaotix and the Brotherhood of Metallix (including their emperor)

- Super Sonic splitting away from sonic into his own crazed entity, and being trapped by Chaotix - finally breaking free in issue 100 I think and unleashing hell before ultimately losing and losing his memory - loved that one, where the spread from OP comes from

- the introduction of the Drakon Empire and Knuckles Metallix

- Robotnik finally obtaining all chaos emeralds and becoming all powerful - from what I remember his body basically became emerald-like itself, another multi issue saga

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
IDW Sonic is pretty great from what I've read so far and Whisper is fantastic

But in terms of silly, these moments from Sonic X made me laugh out loud

Big punches Eggman in the dang face -

f4d0d8b281f3db6f29c181f29e1de3724f6e418b.png

Eggman realizes how stupid a concept money is

BDHRkbm.jpg

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019

Definitely recommend checking out the Game Grumps episode where they stumble upon the comics. The reactions are great.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, yeah, early Sonic comic material was... Well... Bonkers, in many respects.

Why is it that the lightest mascots get the weirdest licensed shit? This, that Brazillian Megaman comic, the German Club Nintendo comics where Wario makes deals with Satan and Kirby becomes both a detective and Hellraiser in two seperate comics?

I wouldn't be phazed if we a society somehow found a licensed comic where Bubsy does Crystal Meth.
I think a lot of it can be summed up as "early on, video game companies weren't very good at managing multimedia licenses". Certain companies could get away with a lot of stuff and the folks who were supposed to be on oversight wouldn't notice. Bloody hell, the fact that Darkstalkers got a Saturday morning cartoon (albeit a short-lived one) tells you a lot about how much these companies didn't care until the 2000s. The publisher of the Brazillian Mega Man comic, to their credit, at least fired the guy who was planning on basically having his own original character kill off the rest of the cast.

Sega in particular didn't start paying proper attention until the end of Penders' run, and when actual editorial oversight started happening, he quit because he couldn't do whatever the hell he wanted. It took the relatively inexperienced Flynn years to pick up the pieces and sort out the clusterfuck of plot threads.

Oct 25, 2017
Even as a kid I knew the Archie Sonic comics were weird as fuck.

Its greatest legacy and appeal all these years later is just what crazy batshit ideas and plot lines it had in it. Oh and extending a Sonic cartoon with two short seasons from 1993 that ended in 1994 and extending it all the way to like 2010.

It's whole existence, and longevity is just crazy to me.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These comics were partially responsible for "awakening" some people i know who have fur fetishes