• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Basically Twin Peaks in snowy village.
Considering it is on PS1 it captures that setting very well.

1709566-mizz002.png

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
I love snow in games!

Especially when the sound design is really spot on, and every step your character takes gives that sweet squeaky sound.

For all it's faults Assassins Creed 3 had some cool deep snow that actually reacted to the player. We have seen far to little of that in games.

The Division can also be quit beautiful.

Galdius

Oct 25, 2017
That looks absolutely amazing! I checked it out and it's japanese only - but there's a fan translation in the works. Well... it was in works a year ago, it's been silent since then. If it gets a translation I'm buying it A.S.A.P.

I'm in the same boat. Discovered the game because of this thread and introduced it to a few friends and everyone seems to love it and wants to play it. I really hope this translation is finished soon.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still a fan of what DriveClub did with snow. Racing at night, on a bike in a heavy snow storm was absolutely bloody terrifying,

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
The Mizzurna Falls translation is actually my project. I've had the full text translated for almost a year now, but waiting for the guy who offered to hack it to make some progress. Don't know how to do that sort of thing myself sadly :(

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The Mizzurna Falls translation is actually my project. I've had the full text translated for almost a year now, but waiting for the guy who offered to hack it to make some progress. Don't know how to do that sort of thing myself sadly :(
Oh, cool, you're here! :D I was going to say "it's a small world" but who am I kidding, everyone should be on ResetEra! ;) Anyway. I am extremely grateful and impressed that you translated the whole game, I really hope the hacker comes through. I have tried to contact the person through Twitter but no answer yet.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
World of Warcraft Snow Zones. (Dun Morogh, Winterspring, Northrend, Alterac Valley etc.)

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
By the way, I'm guessing newly arrived Animal Crossing Pocket Camp (Android/iOS) will feature some pretty cute snow scenarios? Is there even an Animal Crossing game without snow during winter time?

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, I love snow IRL and I adore it in games. The praise for HZD snow area means I'll have to get a PS4 one day.

I also spent hundreds of hours playing a quite unknow HL1 mod called Snow-War

Playing at night, on the holidays right before Christmas while drinking a hot cocoa was the best thing ever.

Oh man! This looks right up my alley. Are HL1 servers still a thing?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Have to give a shoutout to Forza Horizon 3 Blizzard Mountain expansion. Such a joy to play that over winter break last year.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
As a person with seasonal depression while living North fucking Dakota, ima have to give this thread a hard pass.

(this probably doesn't count but the snow kingdom in Mario Odyssey was pretty cool)

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
einiq0.jpg

Animal Crossing is so fucking cute in winter

Now I'm really sad that we don't have an AC for the Switch this winter. That would be so cool and heartwarming at the same time.

I always had a thing for Max Payne's winter setting.

E5BbvL2.jpg

lpGgsyb.jpg

So many winter nights spent with Max Payne on his journey through the snowy New York winter nights.

Oh man! This looks right up my alley. Are HL1 servers still a thing?

There are some HL1 DM servers online, and also CS 1.6. I've encountered only one Snow War server online, but my ping was very high, so it's probably hoster somewhere far away.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I updated my first post (the second post in this thread) with all the games we've accumulated so far! So if anyone wants to add a game it's now easy to see which games have already been mentioned! <3 Check it out!

Oct 29, 2017
At first I thought this was a Snow (from FF XIII) fangirls/boys thread lol

Anyway, I thought this is one of the things missing from Super Mario Odyssey: a proper snow level.
The intro to Shiveria was awesome, I thought I was gonna have to try and explore an icy land while having my view blocked from the heavy blizzard and not really knowing what was ahead. Sadly, that didn't end up being the case (even though the level wasn't that bad thanks to the adorable NPCs), but I hope we get to explore some more of the Snow Kingdom in future installments.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

Hey, I've been following the MF translation project for a while, it's cool that you're here! Hope you get some good news from the hacker soon, seeing a game like this get dredged up from (relative) obscurity and find a new audience is always really cool.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Oh, I totally forgot about Cursed Mountain. It started out just a bit chilly and soon the cold turned to snow - which turned to a blizzard - which made the game not only about exploring but also to keep the warmth and stay alive. Pretty awesome little Wii title for what it is. I paid like $0.01 for it in a clearout.

x78g9jwL_o.jpg

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
to keep the warmth and stay alive
Oh, that reminds me of a game that has not been mentioned yet (woho, I can finally contribute! All the other games I wanted to mention already got mentioned very fast :D)

Near Death

You get stranded in an abandoned Antarctic research base and have to get out of there before the cold and lack of resources kills you. It's a bit janky but interesting enough to play through I think! I liked the fact that you pretty much had to put out ropes and lights to guide you when you tried to go from one building to another due to the darkness and snow storm making it hard to see and the fact that you freeze to death quickly out there.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us Remastered - Winter

My favorite part is the whole sequence of Joel running through town as the snow gets thicker and you use the blizzard as cover.

Warning: lots of violence and David!

55402810-a06b-43ac-9874-cf4e1efddd8c.jpg._CB287024679_.jpg

8227be2a-8950-4465-9c06-3504d12dbe30.jpg._CB287025062_.jpg

The%20Last%20of%20Us™%20Remastered%20Joel%20Blizzard.jpg

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cryostasis looks really interesting. I wish that been released on the 360/PS3. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime if it ever comes back to Steam.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through Skyrim again and snow is very much an integral part of the game. Maybe not from a gameplay perspective. But it does set the tone and mood of Skyrim. It really does help the world of Skyrim feel both foreboding while also calm and tranquil.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
The Division is ahead in that department. Snow is dynamic with TOD and you can dissolve snow on the cars. Forza Horizon 3 snow is incredible too.

thedivision2016-11-26fluug.png
thedivision2016-11-26gruuf.png

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is really making me want a new snowmobile racing game, I feel like there hasn't been one since Sled Storm on PS1.

snocross-2-featuring-blair-morgan-20070401002005291-000.jpg

Deleted member 30788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Anyone else reminded by MMO's when it snows? I always think of snowy mmo maps when it starts snowing. Especially snowy forested maps. Makes me want to fire up wow or gw2.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put together a short video of some of my favourites

Youll have to forgive some of the larger omissions but its mostly PC or multiplatform titles as that's my main gaming platform

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
I've played this every Christmas since it came out. I wish more games would do silly little things for the holidays.

Yeah, OK, it's modded Skyrim, but it still evokes a majesty of environment that others don't.

But for me the GOAT is Animal Crossing. For a few weeks, the whole village is transformed with a blanket of snow, the night sky fills with aurora and decorative lighting sets the mood. As with pretty much any 3DS game the screenshots don't do the real visuals justice.

AQkUTvU.jpg
Thcp8r4.jpg
xnpBgFo.jpg
IQMb6Um.jpg
Hw6fRTk.jpg
xAeJ1kd.jpg
jLiqaMG.jpg

radiant

Nov 1, 2017
There's plenty of Snow in this one :)

001.jpg
(don't forget to pee on snowballs :) )

And let's not forget Snowboard Kids... still waiting for a proper Sequel ...

snowboard-kids-usa.png

giphy.gif

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really love to play Skyrim in winter going through the snowy areas. They're so atmospheric. Man I have to play this game again.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Tally-ho! The time for snow games is yet again on the horizon! Well, okay, for many of us I'm more than a bit early but I live in southern Sweden so I doubt I'll see any snow until january, if at all, so I'm deciding now is as good a time as any to start looking for games to play to get that snowy cosy feeling. :) I've found two more candidates for the list - namely Snow and The Thing. I've added them to the second post (since I can't edit the first post for obvious reasons).

Which games are you playing this year to get your snow fix? I'm absolutely playing The Long Dark and Kholat! I'm going to start them during november. The implementation of the translation for Mizzurna Falls is sadly not here yet (the project seem to be on ice, pun intended, for the time being) but otherwise that would be my big game this fall/winter.

Galdius

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the winter season on Forza Horizon 4. I just wish it had some Christmas decorations/lights during night time.

Do7XXRaXkAI8TeR.jpg:large

I will probably also play Daze before Christmas again on the Genesis this year.

As for Mizzurna Falls, I bought a copy while visiting Japan this year and I really want to play it but I need the patched version.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Since it was released this year and wasn't posted: The mountain in God of War is the most beautiful place in that game. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Yy9Pi6f.jpg