• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.3beep.net/the-snack-world/
http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/183716163989

Similar to Professor Layton and the Curious Village, we have a leak from a localizer. It doesn't say anything beyond this, but I would assume it'd just be the Switch version, and MAYBE the mobile version.

Feels like Level 5 need to start announcing stuff for the west. That's the 3rd leak after Layton 1, and Layton's Mystery Journey DX on Switch leaking at USK.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Meta data says they posted that page on January 14. Weird how no one has noticed it until now.

IMBD an ANN also both list 3Beep in their credits:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8947808/fullcredits
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=21187

I see ANN mentions Cartoon Network South East Asia. The region gets lots of unique English releases of games and even dubs right? I think Bang Zoom specializes in that region IIRC.

Might be what this is and not in reference to a NA and EU release?

Deleted member 59

Looks like they've been working on it for a while at least

Oct 28, 2017
I've been waiting for Snack World Trejarers for a long time. Looks like the closest thing we're going to get to a true "Fantasy Life 2" for the foreseeable future. Hoping they completely nix the amiibo-like "toys as a service" mechanism from the NA localization in favor of DLC or something like that. Don't get me wrong, the Jara/Snack things are cute as fuck, who doesn't want a badass sword hanging off their keychain? However, the additional expense to collect them all is more than enough to purchase an extra Switch with all the trimmings, the toys themselves are a blind boxed nightmare, some of them are really rare/exclusive/tied to events or specific merch/etcetera, and I don't have any shelf space left to put them on.

Really don't care too much about the anime, maybe I'll pop it on during meals if it is easily accessible on CR or something.

This is all assuming that it does reach NA, which certainly isn't a guarantee.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Woohoo! I've been hoping for a localization for this for ages!
I really hope it's not too far off, looks like a fun charming content filled rpg.

Oct 29, 2017
It's amazing how incredibly slow Level 5 are at getting anything localised!

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they didn't start localising Yokai Watch 4 until Yokai Watch 5 was already out in Japan!

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Always liked the art in Snack World, looks like a more obnoxious Dragon Quest. Interested to see what the game is like, loved Fantasy Life and have a high tolerance for Level-5's formula so, here's hoping we see it here soonish.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I do remember that was announced 8 months ago, and found the lack of news worrying.
But it's Level 5, Western release taking several years is a normal cycle for them.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
We already had a localisation announcement last year, but it's nice to see some progress. The toys are still yet to eventuate; I imagine the slow localisation has impacted on their launch.
Level-5 have secured a partnership with Asmodee to distribute the Snack World merchandise, including Takara Tomy's NFC accessories, in Europe. These are expected to release in Fall/Winter this year, alongside the launch of the anime. Nothing has been announced for release in the U.S., but I'd imagine Level-5 is following a similar timeframe.

I imported both the 3DS and Switch versions and still play it regularly. I look forward to the eventual English release

Last edited:

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought this was announced? I remember reading the show was planned for Fall 2018.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
According to someone on reddit the game comes out on switch 18 april in south Korea and the anime apoarently starts airing in France this week. Looks like it could finally be happening!

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Been playing this a bunch recently. It's certainly an enjoyable experience and has the perfect structure for people who are looking for something they can play on the go or bite-size pieces at a time. The beginning is a bit of a hurdle, but I like it overall.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I have so many snacks and Jara I hope they work with the localized game.
That said, the game isn't particularly fun imo and I usually dump 100+ hours into Level-5 games.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that is so cool.

I always liked how the game kind of served a bit of Fantasy Life and the artstyle looks cute and stylish.

Don't know how to feel about them bringing the toys component.

Oct 25, 2017
About damn time we got some info about this.
Personally I think Level-5 are quite late on this. Not the localization, but the franchise itself. You can tell it was trying to cash in on the popularity of Adventure Time (Chup looks a lot like Finn) but now Adventure Time is over. Hell when Snack World was releasing in Japan, Adventure Time was on its last legs.
But who knows...

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think Level-5 are quite late on this. Not the localization, but the franchise itself. You can tell it was trying to cash in on the popularity of Adventure Time (Chup looks a lot like Finn) but now Adventure Time is over. Hell when Snack World was releasing in Japan, Adventure Time was on its last legs.
But who knows...
Not only that, but there is also that collectable "toys to life"-element in this game with the Jara when that fad in gaming is nearly dead. It seems like an uphill battle for this series to take hold in western markets because of that aspect.

Oct 25, 2017
Not only that, but there is also that collectable "toys to life"-element in this game with the Jara when that fad in gaming is nearly dead. It seems like an uphill battle for this series to take hold in western markets because of that aspect.

There's a toys-to-life aspect? Oh it's screwed. Unless they change that up.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Yokai Watch is a huge hit in France, so not really surprised about Snack World anime releasing soon in France.
I wonder if the game can be successful though...the main characters in the game are not even the main characters from the anime, you play as a random customizable MC...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
About damn time. Fill my need for "small and cute" RPGs.
Yeah.

But who knows...
Yeah I can see some of that feel to it in that trailer.
His animation when he raised his hand in that boss fight scene reminded me of Finn, which is cool.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Was waiting for this for a good while now. The gameplay looks really fun with the weapon switching and such.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The comparisons to Fantasy Life make me quite interested; that was quite the fun time on my 3DS back then.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Does anybody know what kind of post launch support the Japanese Switch version got?
I know it comes with the dlc from the 3ds version but did they continue to support the game with more patches and content, or was the switch version pretty much abandoned after relese?

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Yokai Watch is a huge hit in France, so not really surprised about Snack World anime releasing soon in France.
I wonder if the game can be successful though...the main characters in the game are not even the main characters from the anime, you play as a random customizable MC...
Yeah the game MC just follows the main characters.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Took them long enough. Hope it's sooner than later considering how long it's been out in Japan.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I think a lot of people were wondering how the Genies were going to be handled, because of... obvious reasons.

Well...

It's... something.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
So, I think a lot of people were wondering how the Genies were going to be handled, because of... obvious reasons.

Well...

It's... something.

I am more than OK with this change tbh

oXDIuoF.gif

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017

Well...

It's... something.

Well they definitely wanted to keep that rating down to an E10 level. Not sure why they went with the bondage genies design for a kid franchise in the first place.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Would you mind touching up on this? I pretty much enjoy whenever you talk about a Level-5 game and this is one I always wanted to play.
Yes! As a huge fan of Level-5 I'll buy anything they make that gets localized sight unseen. This was taking a while and importing was easy so I have the physical Switch game, three of the knockoff amiibos (Datafigs), about 40 snacks, around 30 Jara, and a Fairypon so I'm sufficiently invested to have a good grasp on how the game works.
The graphics and design of the world are fabulous, everything I want from a L5 game and they are loaded with charm. The story is pretty basic, though.
Gameplay sees you venturing to two types of locations; fixed areas like deserts or woods that don't change every time and randomized dungeons. These locations are filled with monsters and occasionally bad puzzles. When a monster dies it has a chance to drop its Snack chip, letting you add it as a member to your party of which you can have a max of 3 + you. If you're super unlucky you can guarantee a Snack chip for a particular monster by killing it a lot. So say 50 kills on a Witch to get a free copy of her chip. They will also drop money and crafting ingredients.
The "puzzles" are generally annoying locked doors that see you scouring a randomized dungeon with respawning enemies for two switches to unlock it.
The MAIN problem I have with the combat system is how tedious it is. Remember how simple and fun Fantasy Life's combat was? Imagine that but with everything having limited uses, cool downs, and type affinities having the MOST to do with damage dealt.
Say you enter a new location. Oh, a goblin! An icon will pop on the bottom of the screen promoting you to press ZR to switch to a Sword which goblins are weak to. You press it and you have your sword out now so you kill a few goblins in one hit. Now an Owl is coming at you. Press ZR to auto switch to a bow, kill it in one hit. Now four fairies, press ZR, switch to stave, kill three of them in one hit before realizing your Stave is out of Jara energy and you need to switch to a different weapon cause this one is hitting for 1 damage now.
Switch to sword again, attack the fairy. Oh the fairy resists everything but staves! You're hitting it for 3-4 damage each time while your party members are next to useless.
This is every dungeon, even the tedious randomized ones.
Luckily, bosses are fun with Final Fantasy 14-style attack indicators and different mechanics to figure out.
Then at the end of the dungeon you get a few chests based on performance that have a CHANCE to drop the "rare" weapon for that dungeon.
The only way to upgrade weapons and equipment is crafting! You have to have duplicates of items to upgrade them so you'll be grinding a LOT and hoping for the items you want to drop.
How do you speed up the process? Spend money!
The toy weapons you can buy in blind boxes can be scanned once each day. They will always drop an assortment of materials and items and they also have a CHANCE to drop the weapon or equipment they represent. So you scan every day and hope while grinding a dungeon for the same weapon in order to max it out.
Physical Snack chips work similarly, except they level normally and duplicates grant you literal duplicates so you could feasibly have a party of 3 Chups if you wanted.
The Datafigs give good materials every day but every I think 15 days of scanning they fill out a stamp card as they go and on the last day you get REALLY good materials.
The Fairypon let's you charge toy Snacks and Jara with "Mana" a substance that you can use to buy rare weapons in the game. There are I think 5 different colors of it, each exclusive to a different device. So say the Switch charges mana color A, the 3DS charges color B, the Fairypon charges color C, the store display charged color D and so on. The ONLY way to get that color of mana, and thus more easily buy the rare items associated with it instead of grinding is by charging with these various devices. It's tedious and scanning takes forever so going through 40 snacks gets lots of materials but takes a solid 30 minutes.

There's more to talk about like quests and stuff so the content is DEFINITELY there and if the game clicks with you you could spend hundreds of hours grinding and playing multi-player online and customizing your character but the combat just felt really tedious to me so I haven't been as in love with it like I usually am with Level-5 stuff!

Sorry for the novel. :P

Last edited:

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
Sorry for the novel. :P

Oh you never have to worry about apologizing for writing a lot, I love stuff like this. Thanks for taking the time to write all this down. You made me aware of a few things I wasn't like the randomized dungeons and the amount of grinding one has to do . I always knew there would be grinding just not at that level. So you gave me some things to think about , but again thanks for saying them!