• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, they should have just delayed Mario 64, game could have significantly benefitted from it. What's that Miyamoto quote again? Pretty ironic.

Game is a disaster.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive that the bug has been there for only 20 years when the game came out in 1996.

(why yes I do feel old, thanks for asking)

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The fix looks much better and suits the cartoony style better as well.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, maybe we as gamers have given Nintendo way too much slack over the years. They're developers and developers can be LAZY if not held to account. This is really deplorable and may change how I feel about Mario 64 and a good chunk of my childhood. Not cool, shiggy.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually heavily disagree that the final game looks better. This gives off a stronger effect/impact. I can definitely see why some people would find the final game version better though, it's not a scenario where one is objectively better than the other.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
this is actually crazy lmao

Looking at the hack description some programmer put in a wrong constant for the image format

If you are decompiling the game, you can make this change very easily without using patches:

• Open /actors/burn_smoke/model.inc.c
  • On line 47, change the reference "G_IM_FMT_RGBA" to "G_IM_FMT_IA"

At build time, this will compile the texture into IA16 format (correct) instead of RGBA16 (incorrect).

Oct 24, 2019
This just reminds me of that classic adage from Miyamoto.

gjmLxSy.png

LMAO

That's the funniest fucking thing I've read all week if it's real

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I guess no one caught this because the bugged version doesn't look that out of place. Same reason why we never realized it was broken until now. Whoops!

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
Could this have been some sort of intentional change for performance reasons?

Going to from a 1-bit alpha to an 8-bit, and then having that layered (depending on camera angle and direction Mario is running), and then chuck on a bigger environment then what we see here in this simple corridor, probably would have made the frame-rate suffer considerable.

It also looks better how it is originally in the game anyway.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't bugged, it is an optimization.

The weird looking smoke in the final game is a lot easier to render because it is a lower bit transparency.

Most likely the high bit transparency was causing frame rate issues so they replaced it with an easier to render one.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Get your shit together, Nintendo.
smdh

They need to fix the L Is Real bug where collecting every coin in the game and returning to the statue doesn't unlock Luigi while they're at it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

The weird looking smoke in the final game is a lot easier to render because it is a lower bit transparency.

Most likely the high bit transparency was causing frame rate issues so they replaced it with an easier to render one.
Someone better try the ROM in real hardware with an Everdrive and test if it causes lower framerates

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019

Your theory is that they were desperately trying to figure out how to increase performance a little bit, so they resorted to displaying garbage data instead of an intended texture.

I don't buy it. This seems very low on the list of things they'd think to do in that situation. And if they really were brainstorming all sorts of ways they could boost performance, to this extent, then I find it hard to believe that they'd miss the optimization flag in the compiler, which they did.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Your theory is that they were desperately trying to figure out how to increase performance a little bit, so they resorted to displaying garbage data instead of an intended texture.

I don't buy it. This seems very low on the list of things they'd think to do in that situation. And if they really were brainstorming all sorts of ways they could boost performance, to this extent, then I find it hard to believe that they'd miss the optimization flag in the compiler, which they did.

Having five 8bit transparency particle sprites overlapping could have serious effects on the frame rate on N64 hardware.

I think it's pretty plausible it was intentional.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Bigger revelation for me was that Mario's eyes turn into X when he is on fire. Literally didn't notice it until now and I've owned the game since its launch.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the inevitable rebuttal video where Nintendo never makes mistakes and this was completely intentional.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
If this is a "bug" then people would be shocked to find all sorts of other effects that are in games from pure "happy accidents". This is just as likely to be an intentional effect.

I guarantee this is the case.

at the time discrete sprites for smoke and fire were common. Mario64 was also praised for the "plasma-like" fire from Bowser.

having spritey smoke would have diminished the graphics in the eyes of gamers at the time.