• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Smiths or The Cure?

• The Smiths

Votes: 168 33.4%
  • The Cure

Votes: 335 66.6%

• Total voters

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The Cure by a country mile.

I realize the Smiths are highly influential and all, but I literally can't listen to any of their songs without getting annoyed. I hate Morrissey's voice so much. Also I really don't like the actual songs themselves. I have to admit I don't listen to the Cure either, but I can at least stand them.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
These days you can't reasonably listen to Lostprophets or Gary Glitter.

I don't see why The Smiths should be any different. Loved them in the past, feel kind of awkward listening to their output now knowing just how toxic and hateful Morrissey is. Johnny Marr is still a god among men, though.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck Morrissey.

Although Johnny Marr did a great job of playing the smiths songs when I saw him at Glastonbury last month.

The Cure were great too.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the smiths quite easily. i really like a handful of the cure songs, but the smiths is one of those bands where i've listened to pretty much everything they've done repeatedly.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Only one of these bands released Disintegration (and a whole host of other great albums).

That's not to say I don't like some stuff by The Smiths, but I have a Best Of compilation and that's all I'll ever need.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
The Cure! Like The Smiths but they've never really been one of 'my' bands, one that's really resonated with me in the way that The Cure are. Plus Morrissey's a fascist and Robert Smith's not, so there's that.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Irrespective of cuntery levels I always preferred The Cure.

These days you can't reasonably listen to Lostprophets or Gary Glitter.
Just roll out the paedophiles, turn it up to 11. I think trying to draw parallels between attempted rape of a baby and the twat Morrisey is really stupid.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The two in the OP are arguably the most iconic alternative bands of the 80's. Half of what you're mentioning aren't even alternative. New Order at a stretch could be up there, Joy Division were amazing but sadly too little done in the time they had, PSB and TfF were just plain pop and have no place in this discussion.
maybe pethsop boys,

But I still i think we cant just single it 2 just 2 bands... it leaves out bands like Jesus and Mary chain, and echo and bunnymen if where talking about only uk bands.. yes Jesus and Mary chain is Scottish..

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's not to say I don't like some stuff by The Smiths, but I have a Best Of compilation and that's all I'll ever need.

The Sound of The Smiths is fairly comprehensive, still missing some great ones. Well I Wonder is lovely, and I've always found the OG album version of 'What Difference Does it Make' to be definitive even if Morrissey dislikes it

Rusholme Ruffians also had a playfulness, with dark snapshot of life storytelling that underlined The Smiths' appeal to me far more than their more bombastic hits

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine voting for The Cure. Absolutely abysmal. Morrissey's solo output is far more impressive than The Cure's catalogue also.

Last edited:

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
The Cure, no contest.

not a huge fan but they have some really stellar songs like In Between Days, Lovesong, Lullaby, The Walk etc etc.

i can't think of any good songs by The Smiths. i like Quicksand's cover of How Soon Is Now though, it's better than the original lol.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
This thread is tearing me apart. It's like asking for my favourite child and it feels like with which ever one I choose, they'll get shot.

I really, really want to say The Smiths because I got into them first and they totally resonate with me in terms of the beautiful poetic verses Morrissey wrote (when he wasn't a facetious Tommy Robinson bottom feeder) and the utter masterclass in sonic symphony that is the guitar work of Johnny Marr, the bass work of Andy Rourke and drum work of Mike Joyce that absolutely encapsulates something so special and idiosyncratic, you'll never see a band gel so well skill-wise (which is ironic considering the lawsuit of the 90s). I don't think you'll ever get a bassline funkier than Barbarism Begins at Home, which is saying a lot.

However, The Cure are just absolutely phenomenal. I feel considering how most forums such as Era are very much America-centric in terms of user population, The Cure will easily win because they got big stateside and The Smiths, while still well-known for being the band Morrissey was in before he went solo in America, is quite niche. The Cure however just have such incredible variety and have absolutely powerful songs in terms of structure, songwriting and lyricism. I feel The Cure are more style over substance than The Smiths but that's a dumb thing to say considering how wonderful Robert Smith is as a songwriter. I'd also say Smith has a more charismatic voice in his work that feels a bit more genuine(?)

So I'm going with The Stone Roses.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Love both but prefer the Smiths, their albums are just class from beginning to end, can barely fault a track and their B sides would put most bands to shame. If it was a contest about which frontman turned into the biggest cunt then the answer would be even clearer.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The JAMC baby. Or New Order. Or Tears for Fears. I mean I like the Cure but there's only so much self-pity I can tolerate. As for Morrissey, he's like the worst pseud first year english lit student ever (no surprise when he tried to write a novel and got exposed hard for this), I like the Smiths musically but I can't deal with this doofus doing his shitty Byronic poet impression over the top.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad to see that the poll has it correct. The Cure are far and away better. It's not even a contest.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
maybe pethsop boys,

But I still i think we cant just single it 2 just 2 bands... it leaves out bands like Jesus and Mary chain, and echo and bunnymen if where talking about only uk bands.. yes Jesus and Mary chain is Scottish..
Personally I'd put The Jesus and Mary Chain above both, but they are in my top 5 favourite bands or close to it. Hell, Bauhaus were a better Goth band than The Cure, many other bands I prefer too. But for popularity and ongoing influence I'd put The Cure and The Smiths up at or at least near the top.

And let the power of Johnny Marr bring a little bit of love for The Smiths back. This is cracking!

Last edited:

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The Smiths... but not by much and you have to ignore Morrissey.

I listen to the Cure more often than the Smiths these days though. And they played an amazing set at Glastonbury (though I only listened on TV).
I heard Moz playing some older songs when I saw him about 10 years ago and he didn't give a shit about making them sound good.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Smiths... but not by much and you have to ignore Morrissey.

I listen to the Cure more often than the Smiths these days though. And they played an amazing set at Glastonbury (though I only listened on TV).
I heard Moz playing some older songs when I saw him about 10 years ago and he didn't give a shit about making them sound good.

If you go to a Johnny Marr gig then you hear the Smiths when he plays the old stuff, it blew me away after going to a few morrissey shows over the years.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
The JAMC baby. Or New Order. Or Tears for Fears. I mean I like the Cure but there's only so much self-pity I can tolerate. As for Morrissey, he's like the worst pseud first year english lit student ever (no surprise when he tried to write a novel and got exposed hard for this), I like the Smiths musically but I can't deal with this doofus doing his shitty Byronic poet impression over the top.

this is the most important take.