• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Count on SW fans to be given one of the worst movies ever made and then interpret it in a way that's even somehow worse.

The only reason that Rey of being palpatines bloodline is plot important is that it makes her open to Palpatine body snatching her. Narratively, it's also a way of finally 'explaining' why Rey is so strong, but, yeah thats it.

As much as the whole 'dynastic aspect' has been criticized by fans, it's largely been a criticism of how the storytelling is creatively limited by focusing on one sole family in the galaxy being the most important one around whom all important events happen. It wasn't about a literal dynasty being important.

But now you're going to interpret it as though the entire series of films was a race to breed the right thoroughbred force user?

Fuck guys, not even PALPATINE HIMSELF gave a shit that his crotch splooge was continuing if it didn't mean that he didn't get a free ride into quasi-immortality.

Rise of skywalker sucks, it sucks so much, it's one of the worst movies ever made...so why are you making shit up to make it even worse? You don't need to help it be bad with bad media literacy.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I mean Anakin was never a full skywalker as he had no father and arguably no mother and was birthed through the force, ray in a roundabout way does the same with her being birthed from some kinda clone thing. both "choose" to be a skywalker as their births were both rather abstract
What? Of course he has a mother and she's a Skywalker. He's a Skywalker.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Jesus christ, y'all are just looking for a reason to nitpick. And I don't even like the movie.

The obvious answer is "no," and you know that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars is not so complex that people need to outsmart it to land on the *real* answers.

Palpatine wanted to live forever and rule the galaxy. He is dead and rules nothing. Good guys won and bad guys lost. That's Star Wars.

Feb 24, 2018
No? Like the movie is bad but it's pretty obvious that the ending is about family being more important than blood. Rey is not a Palpatine but a Skywalker; her adopted and true family. It's kind of disturbing how the fandom really seems to believe adopted Children don't deserve to be considered really part of families, same with how the fandom mocked the idea of depression and dying of a broken heart back during the prequels hayday.

Though if we're talking about Rey's parentage, I feel like the movie and more specifically, all the material around the movie that actually explains it went over-complicated with trying to explain the origins of Rey's parents, going into clones that don't like who their cloned etc when it feels like the most logical answer is (CW: Sex) Palpatine had sex. Like I don't get the weirdness about this idea, like why wouldn't he have sex? He and Sly Moore had sex in Legends and I never got the problem compared the over-complicated clone stuff they went with.

Would have been interesting honestly if Sly Moore was Rey's grandmother.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
They'll all be wished back with the dragonballs to fight in the multiverse secret wars tournament.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Count on SW fans to be given one of the worst movies ever made and then interpret it in a way that's even somehow worse.

The only reason that Rey of being palpatines bloodline is plot important is that it makes her open to Palpatine body snatching her. Narratively, it's also a way of finally 'explaining' why Rey is so strong, but, yeah thats it.

As much as the whole 'dynastic aspect' has been criticized by fans, it's largely been a criticism of how the storytelling is creatively limited by focusing on one sole family in the galaxy being the most important one around whom all important events happen. It wasn't about a literal dynasty being important.

But now you're going to interpret it as though the entire series of films was a race to breed the right thoroughbred force user?

Fuck guys, not even PALPATINE HIMSELF gave a shit that his crotch splooge was continuing if it didn't mean that he didn't get a free ride into quasi-immortality.

Rise of skywalker sucks, it sucks so much, it's one of the worst movies ever made...so why are you making shit up to make it even worse? You don't need to help it be bad with bad media literacy.
💯

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
his seed survived, the skywalker are all dead and buried, so maybe?

Mara Jade probably outthere somewhere with Luck child.

After's Rey kid learns the truth of their lineage and turns to the dark side as a result they'll seek out a way to resurrect Grandpa Sheev and we'll learn everything has gone according to plan

It's sad that this is really likely to happen lol

Pretty much that it's Backlash her someday.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Kylo Ren stans is something I just can't wrap my head around. Kylo was an asshole, a pretender. He was the epitome of the Star Wars fan stereotype edgelord.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Isn't the message that family are those who make you your best self and not necessarily blood?
Yes. I always thought it was funny how many people praise TLJ for not being about bloodlines and one of the biggest criniciam about TRoS is that expressed by the OP. Rey is a Skywalker. She isn't a Palpatine puppet, just like Anakin Skywalker was. And we have Luke Skywalker to thank for that.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I always thought it was funny how many people praise TLJ for not being about bloodlines and one of the biggest criniciam about TRoS is that expressed by the OP. Rey is a Skywalker. She isn't a Palpatine puppet, just like Anakin Skywalker was. And we have Luke Skywalker to thank for that.
Yeah, well, that's because the whole bloodline issue is layered.

So, on one hand, you have what the OP describes where he has reframed the conflict of the movie into one that doesn't exist - that the characters are just racehorses wherein the competition between Palpatine and Skywalkers is just to have the surviving thoroughbred. The idiotic idea that Palpatine 'won' because Rey is forever damaged goods, her personhood and individuality made invalid by his genetic code, that's dumb and as bad as Rise of Skywalker actually is, that's one thing it does not do.

Then there's the other hand where fans treat the characters as thoroughbred horses by way of understanding the worldbuilding. Because it's established in the OT that the Force is, in some ways, genetic, then Rey's lineage was paramount to uncovering so they had an explanation for why she is so strong in the force. Was it Luke, was it Obiwan Kenobi, Palpatine? The answer needed to be one of those, because otherwise, in their minds, it just makes no sense for her to be strong in the force. The idea that anyone can be chosen by the force was the idea that TLJ put forth, and it's one that rankled the force documentarians.

Then on the last hand, you have the actual conflict of TLJ where Rey's lineage was an issue of her personal character struggle. Rey wanted to believe that her parents were 'someone important', as a way of validating her self worth and abandonment issues. She was left on a hostile planet alone to fend for herself, and she wanted there to be a reason why. Not just any reason, but a good reason. That her parents were actually super important people who loved her and wanted more than anything to be there for her, but for some convoluted plot, they couldn't and had to leave her on Jakku. So Kylo Ren telling her that her parents were just random drunks who left her because they were just that big pieces of shit was her having to accept that she couldn't keep looking for parental figures to validate her - that she had to learn to love herself and that it didn't matter that her parents were nobodies who didn't love her because her new found family did care about her. Han showed her a world beyond Jakku, Finn went to the ends of the galaxy for her, Poe....is really cute and she would want to get to know him better. And that is the part of her character that TRoS compromised the most, by giving her exactly what she wanted - her parents did love her, but had to abandon her due to a convoluted plot, which is mainly there so that the force documentarians have breeding certifications for why Rey is powerful.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry you think rise of skywalker is one of the worst movies ever?? I can understand it as one of the worst Star Wars movies for sure but worst movies ever? Have you seen other horrible movies like catwoman, taken 3, morbuis?! This movie atleast have some decent aspects of it, cinematography, acting is decent, Ben solo is decent. I get everybody has opinions but still baffles me when I see Star Wars 9 running as the worst movies ever made

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry you think rise of skywalker is one of the worst movies ever?? I can understand it as one of the worst Star Wars movies for sure but worst movies ever? Have you seen other horrible movies like catwoman, taken 3, morbuis?! This movie atleast have some decent aspects of it, cinematography, acting is decent, Ben solo is decent. I get everybody has opinions but still baffles me when I see Star Wars 9 running as the worst movies ever made
I think it's just astounding that, despite their intentions, they literally made a star wars film that felt more cynical than the ones where George Lucas was literally making creative decisions and story decisions for the sole purpose of selling toys.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The FO was only a significant threat for like two years and then it got blown to smithereens even harder than the original Empire did. And while it certainly suffered a blow, the New Republic still exists and the FO doesn't. Like, ol Palps got a bit of petty revenge in but that's about it on the grand scale of things.

I think it's just astounding that, despite their intentions, they literally made a star wars film that felt more cynical than the ones where George Lucas was literally making creative decisions and story decisions for the sole purpose of selling toys.

I genuinely think the ST would be at least 10% better overall if it was more interested in toy sales. There'd at least be more variety.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
There are less competently made movies made in a technical sense, but if that's how you're looking at it, then even those movies you mentioned aren't that bad, because then I can go "Have you seen other horrible movies like The Room or plan 9 from outer space or Doug Walkers home made bullshit films". There's always a film that, objectively speaking, can be found lower on the totem pole.

Objective analysis has it's place, but movie opinions are ultimately subjective, opinionated affairs. The Rise of Skywalker is a worse film for me because I wanted it to be good. Whereas I don't care about catwoman or taken 3 or morbius. It means absolutely nothing to me to have those movies badly acted or plotted or have terrible special effects or whatever. Them being bad doesn't mean anything more than that.

Rise of Skywalker is a film I hate more because of what it represents. It represents cynically catering to nostalgia and corporate greed when they don't have to. It is an absence of any creativity despite having all the tools to do so many different things. It destroyed the potential of its characters by having no regard for their character arcs, and as a result we haven't seen the SW universe past the point of "I'm Rey Skywalker" because no one knows how to or wants to continue from there. It digital puppetry of Carrie Fisher's corpse was outright unsettling. It's sidelining of Rose Tico is them signalling to their bigoted fans that they hear and receive their complaints and that they're harassment of Kelly Marie Tran got them what they wanted. And hundreds of other things.

It is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. That it happens to be more competently made in a some ways than other films is small comfort.

Last edited:

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to say that they turned Ben into the swashbuckling cocky fun Jedi we all wanted and then they killed him.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Man I wish Rey was "Just Rey" . The want is not the same as what she needs. What Rey wants is a good story that explains why her parents abandoned her, it's why the worst thing she can hear is what Kylo tells her...... something that deep down she already suspected, that her parents didn't give a shit about her. That's good fucking character drama, loved it. What she "needs" is to not let that define her, to accept herself irrespective of any lineage or whoever her parents may have been.

Rey Skywalker-Palpatine is an attempt to have their cake and eat it, she gets everything she wanted and kinda needs all at the same time. Being an adopted Skywalker isn't 100% bad in a vacuum, on its own you can make it into being a valid solution as to what she "needs". Her real parents where jerks who didn't give a shit about her but that's ok cause Rey has moved past it and found a new loving family in the Skywalkers, sure fine.

But taken together with Rey Palpatine and you see what it was really all about, they(writers) couldn't accept Just Rey on its own because ultimately because they can't see what SW can be past whatever happened in the OT. Rey just "HAS" to have some kind of important lineage to explain her powers or to connect to her to the galactic family feud cause well....that's Star Wars isn't it?

Rey ends the saga not as her own person, but as another cog in the Skywalker and now Palpatine family story. It disappoints me cause it's so limited when it did not have to go down that path, Rian Johnson should have gone farther in TLJ damnit.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I like to think if George Lucas was still in charge he would remaster Return of the Jedi again and make THIS the ending song for the movie. Then Palpatine would never be mistaken for winning, because WE would be the winners.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
There are less competently made movies made in a technical sense, but if that's how you're looking at it, then even those movies you mentioned aren't that bad, because then I can go "Have you seen other horrible movies like The Room or plan 9 from outer space or Doug Walkers home made bullshit films". There's always a film that, objectively speaking, can be found lower on the totem pole.

Objective analysis has it's place, but movie opinions are ultimately subjective, opinionated affairs. The Rise of Skywalker is a worse film for me because I wanted it to be good. Whereas I don't care about catwoman or taken 3 or morbius. It means absolutely nothing to me to have those movies badly acted or plotted or have terrible special effects or whatever. Them being bad doesn't mean anything more than that.

Rise of Skywalker is a film I hate more because of what it represents. It represents cynically catering to nostalgia and corporate greed when they don't have to. It is an absence of any creativity despite having all the tools to do so many different things. It destroyed the potential of its characters by having no regard for their character arcs, and as a result we haven't seen the SW universe past the point of "I'm Rey Skywalker" because no one knows how to or wants to continue from there. It digital puppetry of Carrie Fisher's corpse was outright unsettling. It's sidelining of Rose Tico is them signalling to their bigoted fans that they hear and receive their complaints and that they're harassment of Kelly Marie Tran got them what they wanted. And hundreds of other things.

It is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. That it happens to be more competently made in a some ways than other films is small comfort.
I agree with all of this, screw TROS and what it did. Sure it has some things I didn't mind but for the most part it had more bad than good and it showed what happens when you make up stuff on the fly and expect it to work when it doesn't at all.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only war in the sequel trilogy was the one between the directors.

In my head-cannon, broom boy becomes the next Skywalker.

Palpatine was a mistake. RoS was a mistake. The only movie of the trilogy to have something interesting and new to say about the one that's most controversial.

Maybe the true Star Wars was the Skywalkers that turned to the dark side and died along the way.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
The FO was only a significant threat for like two years and then it got blown to smithereens even harder than the original Empire did. And while it certainly suffered a blow, the New Republic still exists and the FO doesn't. Like, ol Palps got a bit of petty revenge in but that's about it on the grand scale of things.

The whole New Republic not Exist anymore.

The New Goverment aftet ROTS likely not happening for a while since most senators are dead and many planet didn't want to be part of it.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Nah, none of the main cast from the original trilogy is dead. Disney loves to make Star Wars all about them in the end, so I wouldn't be too worried for the long lost galaxy

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Anakin was never a full skywalker as he had no father and arguably no mother and was birthed through the force, ray in a roundabout way does the same with her being birthed from some kinda clone thing. both "choose" to be a skywalker as their births were both rather abstract

Anakin had a mother and her surname was Skywalker. She's pretty important to his story

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
sheev was the galactic emperor in his sexual prime, there was never doubt his line carried on, in fact, there are thousands of grandchildren

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The theory that Palpatine's plan worked and he took over Rey is Darth Jar Jar tier nonsense.

It's absolutely the correct reading.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Yea, expect Palpatine's comeback on the next trilogy, they ran out of ideas

You say this sarcastically but they'll need to retell the original trilogy's story so fans can remember why they liked Star Wars in the first place. So there will have to be a desert planet, a Death Star, Palpatine, etc. it's the only way.

fuck the shitty sequel trilogy thy didn't have an original idea