• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter at all to me. Not like you are given any options to choose how it looks or how big it is. You get what they make and you have zero input. Either buy it or you can't play that platforms exclusives.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
I don't care about the size too much, what I care about is the weight of those consoles and unfortunately, those terms are more oftenly correlated than not.

I never stay in one place most of the time and dragging heavy consoles around is not efficient.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
What? Noctua proves it by rotating at lower RPMs as well as having a design that's built around quieter operation. Fan size most definitely matters, but that's not the sole contributing factor. There are plenty of 140mm fans that are noisy as shit (such as the default Kraken fans I replaced with Noctuas), just like there are some that are 120mm that are much quieter. Do you honestly believe that in either scenario a console developer would opt for a quieter, more efficient fan? Nope.

Uh, the more you know...!

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
It has to fit in my media cabinet so size does play a role. I would prefer smaller over larger, but I didn't get hung up on the OG Xbox or anything (except the Duke controller my god...)

It doesn't have to be "Wii" small, but shouldn't be larger than OG Xbox either.

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Why would you be looking at a console from the top more than 10% of the time?
I'm just saying that the Wii U was an ugly, poorly designed console. Looking at it from the centre is fine, but when looking at it any other angle (especially from the top) you can see its weirdly long shaped design.

And it's shape + low weight made it great for transporting.
You make it sound as if the Wii U was a portable console like the 3DS or Vita, and hell it was not. It was heavy for its size and not only that but you had to carry TWO power bricks as well; one for the console, one for the stupid gamepad.

- Carry Wii U console
- Carry Gamepad controller that's almost the size of the console itself
- Carry power brick for the Wii U console and its power cord
- Carry power brick for the Gamepad controller

"Great for transporting."

Lol. Good one.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or they can esily pick it up a d steal it and not the Xbox since it was heavy.

Insta security.

If you're talking about Xbox 360 they would probably drop it because it was too hot due to the towel method being used or because they used it to cook eggs. Whereas the 360 is called 360 because you do a 360 and moon-walk away, xbox one is called one because that's the percentage of the market they have, basically nobody would probably steal one or if they do go in a house a PS4 is probably going to be there.

Size is beneficial on both ends, the smaller devices could be frisbee'd into the intruders neck, the heavy ones double as muscle training but can cause some blunt force trauma to their headside.

:P

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'm just saying that the Wii U was an ugly, poorly designed console. Looking at it from the centre is fine, but when looking at it any other angle (especially from the top) you can see its weirdly long shaped design.

You make it sound as if the Wii U was a portable console like the 3DS or Vita, and hell it was not. It was heavy for its size and not only that but you had to carry TWO power bricks as well; one for the console, one for the stupid gamepad.

- Carry Wii U console

Lol. Good one.
I carried it to and from college on multiple occasions. The fact that the power brick is separate makes fitting it in a bag much easier.

Lyude77

Dec 19, 2017

- Carry Wii U console

Lol. Good one.
I can barely palm a 360 and it's painful, carries like a ton of bricks too. Wii U was a lot easier than that.

Having said that, Switch design is massively superior to both for transporting

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
d5c822ca-911f-4828-8cd8-f041861bc0d6.gif

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's not the size but how the console is designed. I own both and the difference between the Pro and 1X in terms of noise, build quality and aesthetic is night and day.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I have my PS4 Pro and X1X behind my X900E TV and it works very well, but there isn't a lot of space to spare.

Dec 15, 2017
110% agree. I could not possibly care less how big it is or what it looks like. I only care about noise levels and functionality.

That said, it must be black, nothing else is acceptable.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
My PS4 Pro gets loud with some games. With God of War the noise of the fan is ridiculous to the point where it sounds like it will break. I have to turn the volume up high and at night listen must with headphones. I can live with a larger chassis if it means a quiet PS5, as long as the chassis looks good. I have space underneath my TV. The launch XBO had a big case but personally I didn't like the way it looked as it was essentially a rectangle box without aesthetic flourishes.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

- Carry Wii U console

Lol. Good one.
After the release of Super Mario Maker, I rigged up a case to make my Wii U more "portable" so I could spend entire shifts designing Mario levels while working as an overnight security guard. It was really only convenient in the sense that I only had to plug in a single power cord (since I put a power strip in the case, as well), as the case was just massive. I even needed a separate case to hold the GamePad, as I underestimated the amount of space that I'd need within the case to accommodate it.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
I like a power brick because it keeps the heat out of the console so it runs cooler (look at launch Xbox One vs PS4, and if the power supply goes you can just replace that and not the entire console.

Nov 1, 2017
I've really come to appreciate smaller physical systems for moving them from place-to-place. I don't see me going for something larger than a PS4 Pro.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
No power bricks, please. Give me an efficient power supply, a standard IEC power cable, and a generic black box that disappears under my television and I'm good. In my opinion it's appearance that is the most overrated aspect, though I understand why it's important from a branding and advertising perspective.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox One X is incredible in this regard. I took that thing out of the box and was floored by the size of it. It's vastly smaller than the One, noticeably smaller than the Pro, and just bigger than the PS4 OG. It's also whisper silent but does tend to get pretty hot, even when in standby mode.

Lovely piece of engineering.

I don't want a massive console. I know it shouldn't matter because it never moves, but it still irritates me.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with the OP. I don't care about console size much at all. But... I love the memes that come about from large consoles. As an owner of the OG Xbox... I still find these hilarious:
x1QG6o0.jpg

xbox-is-huge.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Size and shape are really important. I want the console to be able to fit in my TV stand, right now my Switch can't because of its vertical design and I keep it covered to prevent dust from getting in it because it also has a vent on the top.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah size doesn't matter to me at all. It's sitting beneath the TV, who cares how large it is. Noise doesn't matter to me either tbh.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Size really doesn't matter. I love to idea of engineers cramming this-and-that in a ultra small case, but the metrics which I pretty much care about anymore is noise. After two weeks on the TV-stand the console kinda becomes part of the interior and you stop paying attention to it aesthetics wise. But if the damn thing is loud...Which is why I hope Sony fits a damn 120mm fan in there next time around to keep acoustics at bay.

Oct 25, 2017
Well the Xbox One was made super big to allow for more ventilation to avoid the horrific Red Rings of Death situation from occurring again. Somehow along the way MS engineering wizards somehow managed to make it smaller, more powerful and efficient without a 30% attrition rate. That is something to marvel at,I would assume the Xbox 4 is of similar design to the X and would allow MS to finally get from under it's shadow.

The PS4 and PS3 are also gigantic and the triple decker PS4 Pro is fucking huge as well. I got the PS4 slim recently and that thing is sexy, so much more compact than my giant ass OG Xbone (which needs to be replaced with something better). Size however overrated does matter to a lot of people when buying consoles, if its small and compact they'll compliment it, if it's a callback to the VCR they will bitch about it. To meet everyone in the middle it seems MS and Sony have decided to leave to the consumer how large they want their console to be this gen.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, people relatively can put up with a bigger console... if it means their system is more powerful and popular.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If a bigger console means it's less prone to failure and runs quieter and cooler then I'm all for it. I don't sit there looking at my consoles, or carry them around with me, so their physical size and looks are irrelevant.

It's just another console war thing really.

Internal power supplies on consoles are underrated.
If anything they're overrated. Having an external PSU means if it fails or is recalled you can just replace that, not the whole console. It means the console can be designed more easily in regards to heat as well, since the power brick is external.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, to an extent, yeah, sure. The size difference between XBO and PS4 is negligible. But there's an upper limit to that as well. Who would fit a PC-sized console in their TV bench?

(and obviously the question is different regarding portables)

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Japanese culture have miniaturisation as part of their DNA. They're always going to try for the smallest + most powerful within a given budget (OG PS3 was an anomaly)

Yeah, I'd like a better thermal solution in PS5 for sure, but anything bigger than PS4 Pro and I would be a little disappointed

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I work overnight. HORRIBLY slow WiFi for gaming but I have a TV in my work area. I bring my PS4 Pro to work because why not?

After having a Switch since launch, size definitely matters. Hell, it's not even the size or weights, it's the fucking shape. My One S is close in size but a nice rectangle and fits well inside my bag with other things I bring overnight.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 Pro gets loud with some games. With God of War the noise of the fan is ridiculous to the point where it sounds like it will break. I have to turn the volume up high and at night listen must with headphones. I can live with a larger chassis if it means a quiet PS5, as long as the chassis looks good. I have space underneath my TV. The launch XBO had a big case but personally I didn't like the way it looked as it was essentially a rectangle box without aesthetic flourishes.

The thing is, you shouldn't have to live with a bigger chassis to get a quiet console. The X is smaller and damn near silent. The PS4 Pro isn't loud because of its size, it's loud because of the way Sony designed it.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
No no, I actually brought my PS4 on long work trips. I'd hate to have something larger that couldn't fit in a backpack. Wii U was even better for that.

OP
OP
Jssom

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Bumping the thread to just say that I'm happy with the the decision Microsoft & Sony made about their consoles sizes :) and actually it was kinda predictable.

Of course we have to wait for the test results of sound and heat but statement from both companies spokesmen suggests there will be no problems.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
As someone with a big PC, the size of the console really does not matter to me. EDIT: Woah, old thread.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It matters to people with limited space. If I was to buy the Series X, I wouldn't know where to place it in my media setup.
Also afraid the PS4 is too big.