• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yea I'd forgot about this game, kept getting it mixed up with Call of Ctulhlu, still gotta play that, may be a lovecraft weekend for me

MEATER

Feb 13, 2018
Germany
First impressions from another tuber with first hour on PS4:

TL,DW: After the first hour they say: rental, seems like a 60s on metacritic, don't expect the level of polish from Detroid...

So pretty much as expected so far. Hoping for some impressions from someone a few hours in / halfway through.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
So I'm definitely aware of the screen tearing issue, but is there any word on Xbox One X performance?

Looking forward to playing this tonight.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just downloaded version 1.01 on PS4, patch notes say "minor performance fix".

Could it be related to screen tearing? I couldn't test it yet.

Dec 6, 2017
US
What about Bloodborne?

giphy.gif

Talks shit, forgets the greatest Lovecraft game ever and one of his favorite games of all time.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a high tolerance for Euro-jank so I am still optimistic.

There definitely is a lot of it but I think it's a little bit smoother than I was expecting.

After spending some more time with it, my impressions are still very positive. It's not going to be for everyone because of some of the technical stuff, and the combat gameplay can be a bit clumsy or simplistic I suppose but not more so than other types of games- it reminds me of survival horror which was probably the intention, though I'm sure some of it is down to jank as well.

I really like the world that's been created, and while it does adhere to the typical things you see in adaptation's of the Cthulhu tabletop game stuff, I think it puts a different spin on a lot of it to make it more intriguing. Just my two cents.

I stand by the comparison to Vampyr though- It reminds me a lot of that. Personally that's a good thing to me, and I think the combat in this is actually way better, even though I didn't hate the combat in that. But as far as dialogue and character heavy interaction, with world exploration being the focus, there's a lot of similarities. And there's a lot of rough edges in both as well of course

Please be better than Call of Cthulhu

I would say it is so far. It feels like a more realize concept of that, but again it's super early impressions for me so It could dive off a cliff at some point but I don't feel that so far.

First impressions from another tuber with first hour on PS4:

TL,DW: After the first hour they say: rental, seems like a 60s on metacritic, don't expect the level of polish from Detroid...

So pretty much as expected so far. Hoping for some impressions from someone a few hours in / halfway through.

Halfway through is going to take a while, but I'm a few hours in. I'm trying not to really comment too much on anything besides technical and gameplay type stuff. I would say that those critiques are pretty fair though, I would say if you like the developer and a really intrigued it's not a bad way to spend money, but it's probably one of those games where you're going to be really into it if it hooks you.

Waiting for Karak's Review But I'm expecting a lot of rentals or wait for sale type recommendations.

Last edited:

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna keep an eye on reviews for this one. I don't have time to indulge currently but hoping to pick it up in the Fall

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any performance tips for PC? With all settings dropped from ultra to high (which is two settings actually, it goes high>epic>ultra), I'm still getting huge drops at 4k on my 1080ti/8700k.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any performance tips for PC? With all settings dropped from ultra to high (which is two settings actually, it goes high>epic>ultra), I'm still getting huge drops at 4k on my 1080ti/8700k.
Processing and Effects followed by shadows were the biggest for me. If your trying to hit 4k 60 with a 1080ti its not going to without dropping them lower.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear there's a patch coming. I was planning on playing this after Bloodstained and Judgment, so I'm in no rush.

I would suggest people try playing a bit of the game with it on hard detective mode.
What sort of differences are there between the different modes? And does this imply that there are separate difficulty settings for combat vs. detective gameplay? Thanks!

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What sort of differences are there between the different modes? And does this imply that there are separate difficulty settings for combat vs. detective gameplay? Thanks!
Yeah, I'd like to know this as well :) Also, do you get anything out of raising the difficulty or is it just less UI and guidance in exchange for a harder game with no real incentive to do so?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
There definitely is a lot of it but I think it's a little bit smoother than I was expecting.

After spending some more time with it, my impressions are still very positive. It's not going to be for everyone because of some of the technical stuff, and the combat gameplay can be a bit clumsy or simplistic I suppose but not more so than other types of games- it reminds me of survival horror which was probably the intention, though I'm sure some of it is down to jank as well.

I really like the world that's been created, and while it does adhere to the typical things you see in adaptation's of the Cthulhu tabletop game stuff, I think it puts a different spin on a lot of it to make it more intriguing. Just my two cents.

I stand by the comparison to Vampyr though- It reminds me a lot of that. Personally that's a good thing to me, and I think the combat in this is actually way better, even though I didn't hate the combat in that. But as far as dialogue and character heavy interaction, with world exploration being the focus, there's a lot of similarities. And there's a lot of rough edges in both as well of course

I would say it is so far. It feels like a more realize concept of that, but again it's super early impressions for me so It could dive off a cliff at some point but I don't feel that so far.

Halfway through is going to take a while, but I'm a few hours in. I'm trying not to really comment too much on anything besides technical and gameplay type stuff. I would say that those critiques are pretty fair though, I would say if you like the developer and a really intrigued it's not a bad way to spend money, but it's probably one of those games where you're going to be really into it if it hooks you.

Waiting for Karak's Review But I'm expecting a lot of rentals or wait for sale type recommendations.
Do the dialogue choices have a lot of skill checks, different options based on stuff you've learned? Curious if it's more open or guided

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Man kind of shitty this game releases on a Thursday instead of a Tuesday to push the deluxe edition. No games release on Thursday so you know they pushed it back to sell the more expensive version.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Processing and Effects followed by shadows were the biggest for me. If your trying to hit 4k 60 with a 1080ti its not going to without dropping them lower.
Gotcha, thanks!

This game has some mad stuttering even when I drop almost everything to get it at a stable framerate, so hopefully a patch can iron some of this out soon

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the dialogue choices have a lot of skill checks, different options based on stuff you've learned? Curious if it's more open or guided
No. Its more about you saying what you already think by drawing conclusions in the other section of the game putting together hints. There aren't really any skill checks to speak of in that way.

As for difficulty choices. ya harder difficulty doesn't inform you if a hint or something you get in your caselog is useful or how to use it(there can be a visual notification)

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
CoC: DCotE is one of my all time favourites. If they can get to half the fun I've had with that, this is a win.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
Have a review coming soon, but there's a lot more (not very good) combat than most folks are probably expecting.

I'm actually not sure why there's been so much talk of avoiding combat when there are so few opportunities to actually do so in all these cramped houses you visit.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Polygon just called them racists. Will they someday just stop seeking attention?

Hrm? In the review they just mention that Lovecraft and the era were racist, and that the game includes mention of this at the beginning, but otherwise doesn't really take a stance or develop on that. I didn't think they were calling the people who made the game racist. Unless they did so somewhere else.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Very curious to see how this game shapes up. I really enjoyed the detective gameplay aspects of the studio's Sherlock Holmes games, so jamming that into a Lovecraft style investigation sounds like a fantastic idea to me. I hope they pull it off.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018

Eurogamer review by Malindy Hetfeld makes it seem a bit tepid and not on par with Frogwares' previous output.

Yeah- this is the review that has kind of turn this into a "wait for a sale" buy, and I was super hyped. In particular, the reviewer notes that the deduction/mind palace boards are simplified into "the suspect did it"/"the suspect did not do it".

They also noted that the cases didn't feel as interesting because the solution could come right out of the supernatural hat as whatever the writer wanted.

So essentially, it sounds like my two fears were verified: 1) that in going bigger/open world, the depth of the writing suffered and 2) that in shifting from Sherlock to Cthulhu, they hurt the groundedness of the cases.

Definitely still want to play- maybe I'll disagree with the reviewer's presentation of the game, but this has blunted my expectations to be sure.

EDIT: PCGamer's take on the writing is very similar- they seem to understand what made Crimes and Punishments great and be verifying that that is missing here. Sad.

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Hrm? In the review they just mention that Lovecraft and the era were racist, and that the game includes mention of this at the beginning, but otherwise doesn't really take a stance or develop on that. I didn't think they were calling the people who made the game racist. Unless they did so somewhere else.
Agreed.

Lovecraft was suuuuuuper racist. I mean, just look up what he named his cat. And that is just the tip of the iceberg for him.

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017

pretty safe to say the dude didn't read the article and was looking to get a cheap jab at a website they didn't like.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm in anyway. Rarely do we get adventure / exploration focused games on this scale in Lovecraft mythos. I have to support the effort and the dev - jank or no.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to reviews and impressions. I may pick this up based on how it goes.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Have a review coming soon, but there's a lot more (not very good) combat than most folks are probably expecting.

I'm actually not sure why there's been so much talk of avoiding combat when there are so few opportunities to actually do so in all these cramped houses you visit.
I don't get why games like this and Vampyr choose to shoehorn combat when the detective/puzzle gameplay is way more appealing and less explored in games in general. It's a shame.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
I don't get why games like this and Vampyr choose to shoehorn combat when the detective/puzzle gameplay is way more appealing and less explored in games in general. It's a shame.

Yup. Presumably they think it will sell more money given that there are more people that like to shoot things than people that like to think their way through a mystery. /so-much-salt

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017

hard agree!
especially, thinking back to the old call of cthulhu game, one of the better moments was the chase scene in the hotel. That one segment alone stands out more than the rest of the game even after all these years.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a weird effect during conversations where about an inch of so on the edge of the screen is just the stretched out, blurred image of whatever is adjacent to it. I'm guessing it's a weird DOF effect or something?

That and the stuttering is super frustrating, still haven't found a solution. Even when it's at a stable framerate it feels jerky. The game is really cool, but the performance is distracting as hell

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
So as expected, review are really mixed - some really good or great like for example from IGN 7,8/1, Twinfinite gave it a 4/5, PC Invasion 8/10 or Destructoid's 8,5/10.. and then there are those average ratings : VideoGamer 5/10, PC Gamer 66/100, GameSpew 6/10, Game Revolution 5/10.. Average score for the game so far on Gamerankings.com is 70,7%

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018

The headline. Plus racist controversial is just a 1% of what the game offers, which is huge. Seems to me they just picked what sounded more controversial and made a review about it.