• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

The Sinking City is coming to PlayStation®5 on February 19th, 2021! Play this Lovecraftian detective adventure in glorious 4K/60FPS, with instantaneous loading times, DualSense features and more!

The Sinking City | Next Gen Release Statement - Frogwares

The Sinking City is out on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5, featuring better performance, updated graphics and other improvements
Dear players,

The Sinking City is out on PlayStation 5 on February 19th, 2021.

Some of you have been asking about a platform upgrade for the game from the PlayStation 4 version, however this is sadly not possible at the moment.

The Sinking City on PlayStation 4 and on PlayStation 5 have different publishers on record. On PlayStation 5, Frogwares is the developer and publisher of the game. As the PS4 and PS5 games have different game IDs and due to an ongoing current legal and technical situation, this game is currently not eligible for a platform upgrade.

As the situation is being handled legally, it remains frozen for the time being on our side.

Thank you for your understanding and ongoing support.

Frogwares team

———————————————

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Awesome!
Bought this for the PS4 last fall and haven't gotten around to playing it yet (backlog 😩)

Love the sound of a free upgrade!

edit: misread. No free upgrade. Fuck.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm interested for the right price. The PS4 version runs at 60 already on the PS5, though I think it's only at 1080p (or lower maybe)?

Edit: ooh, dualsense support. might pick this up for that.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
iGDnKdm.png
ojiMTIU.png

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh those graphical transitions showing the next version is kinda incredible? That looks so smooth

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf?

I just bought it last night because it was on sale...
Edit: Jesus, different publishers because of the mess between Frogwares and Nacon.

How interesting that the PS4 sale was going until last night and now they announce this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This game rules. I really love it!

No upgrade (while understandable) kinda hurts though. I bought the Necronomicon edition with all the DLC for like £15 about six months ago. This looks to be a full priced release.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Looks like I´m going to replay this...this time with good performance.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Bought this a while back on PS4, and put some limited time into it. It seemed pretty neat.

I think I might grab this on PS5. I also got gifted a hardback collection of Lovecraft recently, so that'll make a good companion 😁

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I almost added this to my backlog several times on deep sale. Glad I waited. Now the wait for the PS5 version to drop into the $20 range begins. Also seems like a strong PS+ candidate at some point.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I wonder if they'll do a Series S|X upgrade or re-release. I started this and thoroughly enjoyed it but any performance boost would be welcome.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Some of these comparisons are weird, this one in particular.. like it's clearly night time on the PS4 version and then there's this overly intense massive foglight on the PS5 version. I haven't played the game.. is this like a light someone is toggling off or what?
These screenshots don`t show the same area, so it`s not a 1:1 comparison.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I've actually been eye-ing this game for a long time now but the reviews turned me off several times. They're right in that 'could be cool, could be a piece of shit' range.

What does ERA say? I see some of you really dig this game. What does it actually play like in practice? Sell me on it, fans.

PS: I've been a Lovecraft reader for a long time so I'd Love (get it lulz) to play a decent game of this ilk.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I've actually been eye-ing this game for a long time now but the reviews turned me off several times. They're right in that 'could be cool, could be a piece of shit' range.

What does ERA say? I see some of you really dig this game. What does it actually play like in practice? Sell me on it, fans.

PS: I've been a Lovecraft reader for a long time so I'd Love (get it lulz) to play a decent game of this ilk.

The characters are interesting, the writing is surprisingly good, the atmosphere can be pretty great and the detective-gameplay - although quite simple - is refreshing and satisfying. The action-gameplay (gunplay + stealth) however is bad, certain elements of worldbuilding (e.g. NPC behaviour) can be quite immersion breaking and the game runs poorly on last gen consoles. I definitely wouldn`t call this a good game, but it can be pretty intriguing and thrilling and I enjoyed my time with it after I accepted its` obvious shortcomings.

Dec 6, 2017
US
The characters are interesting, the writing is surprisingly good, the atmosphere can be pretty great and the detective-gameplay - although quite simple - is refreshing and satisfying. The action-gameplay (gunplay + stealth) however is bad, certain elements of worldbuilding (e.g. NPC behaviour) can be quite immersion breaking and the game runs poorly on last gen consoles. I definitely wouldn`t call this a good game, but it can be pretty intriguing and thrilling and I enjoyed my time with it after I accepted its` obvious shortcomings.

I pretty much assumed the Action-based gameplay to be somewhat functional at best. I think I can power through it having grown up on PS1 fare. Combat can't be worse than Dark Corners of the Earth, it just cannot be lol.

The rest sounds pretty cool honestly and I really like the aesthetics. The main character especially looks pretty cool.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I have enjoyed Frogware Sherlock series last gen and I've been eyeing this one for some time. I'm glad I waited but I hope this will be priced right, no more than 30$. I want to support the devs but when the PS4 version can be found for really cheap, it can be hard.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
I got all the trophies on the PS4 so I don't really have a reason to dip back into this but the upgrades sound nice. I think consistent performance would help the game feel a little better. It was a solid mid tier game for me, wished it was a little better but eh.

Pro strats for the tedious combat. I found out that walls do not block melee attacks. So going into an infested area, spawning some enemies, then hanging out on the safe side of the wall and just smacking them is a cheap way to get XP fast. (Or killing them though an apartment wall or whatever). Some attacks could hit you back but rarely. Just save before you do it.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I pretty much assumed the Action-based gameplay to be somewhat functional at best. I think I can power through it having grown up on PS1 fare.
That`s it basically.
Btw.: There are seperate difficulty settings in the game:

9962171.jpg

I recommend putting the combat difficulty to lower settings (not because the combat is hard...) and the investigation difficulty to higher settings.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I knew this got pulled last summer due to the legal issues Frogwares was having, but I read as recent as last month it was supposed to come back...but I don't see anything on Steam, for example. I guess this is just going to be a PS5 exclusive for now?

Dec 6, 2017
US
That`s it basically.
Btw.: There are seperate difficulty settings in the game:

9962171.jpg

I recommend putting the combat difficulty to lower settings (not because the combat is hard...) and the investigation difficulty to higher settings.

Oh, that I do like. Hint icons can go to hell in a game about exploration and puzzles so that's cool to read. And getting the not-good combat over with quickly sounds like a good option!

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the PS4 version when it was on sale recently for about £12.

Playing on PS5 it runs at a pretty consistent 60 fps with only the odd stutter as you roam the city. I hope the price point is decent as the game is very interesting and I should really finish it.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
This premise of this and the game itself looks unreal, can't believe I have never heard of this game.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
It is tempting but I already own the PS4 version and the Switch version. Platinumed the PS4 and haven't touched the Switch version even though it has some exclusives missions...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I have enjoyed Frogware Sherlock series last gen and I've been eyeing this one for some time. I'm glad I waited but I hope this will be priced right, no more than 30$. I want to support the devs but when the PS4 version can be found for really cheap, it can be hard.

It's already for sale in NZ. Looks like the base edition will be ~$50USD and the version with the DLCs with be ~$75.

There's some launch PS+ discount though.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Sorry I'm gonna have to wait and see if any upgrade path becomes available. If it were a paid upgrade DLC or something for $20 or less, MAYBE.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought this, I've been wanting to play it for ages. I had no idea it was PS5 until I saw a trailer in my youtube feed last night.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they were able to work something out to bring the game back, but that's a real shame about the upgrade.

$49.99/£39.99 is also not what I expected - and by the looks of it there is no retail version either so even though I want to pick up for those PS5 features I'm now less likely to. Hopefully they can find a publisher for a physical release.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf?

I just bought it last night because it was on sale...
Edit: Jesus, different publishers because of the mess between Frogwares and Nacon.

How interesting that the PS4 sale was going until last night and now they announce this.

Probably Nacon trying to sneak in a bunch of sales if they knew this port was happening.