• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
As a primarily single player story focused gamer I haven't touched Call Of Duty since Modern Warfare 3. It's sad cause the first COD games pre COD 4 were great. I have heard good things regarding the campaign this year. Couple of questions regarding the campaign:

Is it good?

How long is it?

Do you need to know the story of the previous games to know what's going on?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I would ask this in the OT, but let me answer:

- Fantastic, not as bombastic as previous COD, more realistic.
- Around 4-5 hours
- No

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished it yet but it's about 5-6 hours apparently. And it's a reboot so there's no prior story knowledge required.

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
From story perspective it's rather bad and boring. Mission desigh is cool.

6-7 hours

No

If you want to play amazing cod campaign - buy infinite warfare.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The campaign is satisfying but nothing ground breaking.

You could complete it in 5-6 hours.

This is a reboot so nothing continues from the previous games, however the ending teases events that lead right into COD4.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's pretty awful and tasteless, not to mention stuck in the previous decade in terms of design. Feels like a massive step down from IW's last campaign (which I'd recommend you play instead if you haven't played one since MW3).

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a game at 60$ strictly for a 6 hour campaign is not something i'd advice. Wait a few months and grab it during a sale or check out the multiplayer at least.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you haven't played any Call of Duty campaigns since Modern Warfare 3 you've missed out on a bunch of great campaigns.

Infinite Warfare has what I still consider to be the best FPS campaign this gen, Advanced Warfare's was fairly good too and so was World War II's.

I'm only halfway through Modern Warfare and it's great but I suggest picking up those other games since they're probably only like $5-10 each at the moment. Plenty of value for money.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If you haven't played any Call of Duty campaigns since Modern Warfare 3 you've missed out on a bunch of great campaigns.

Infinite Warfare has what I still consider to be the best FPS campaign this gen, Advanced Warfare's was fairly good too and so was World War II's.

I'm only halfway through Modern Warfare and it's great but I suggest picking up those other games since they're probably only like $5-10 each at the moment. Plenty of value for money.
Basically this, yeah. Modern Warfare's campaign is good, but Infinite is peak singleplayer Call of Duty. And it's dirt cheap.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hlhbk We're in the same boat. Here's my post from the OT.

I've had a tumultuous relationship with COD. During the 360 era I had a couple of clans and played the game avidly. But with it's failure to innovate it lost it's appeal to me and this gen, I've probably played about 2 of the 7 or so COD games that came out this gen. But Modern Warfare 2019 feels like something different and dare I say "original"

The campaign (so far) is incredible and that sound design... The sound design deserves a ton of praise. I'm playing through the campaign on a headset and can't quite believe this immersive audio is coming from a COD game.

grR6P2r.png

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty good, very grounded compared to previous cods. Visually outstanding, and the shooting has a nice weight to it.

It falters a bit as at times it feels a little aimless and there's not really much buildup or payoff. I suppose you could say that feeds into the realism thing they were going for. Speaking of which, more than a couple missions are straight up lifted from real world events. Which seemed a bit weird, to me at least. There are worse ways to spend $60 and 5-6 hours though.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Boy as much as those developers went on to say how this game will be ambigous and question war itself. They turned the Russians into bloodthirsty, war crime committing, rapists for an entire game, the Americans as never do wrong, and the terrorists be uh terrorists, except the good terrorists such as the Faux Kurds.

I also loved the way one of the American special forces member goes on with a *tear * in his eye saying this is the first mission / cause I could believe in.

Oh and most of the missions are all over the place in quality. They try to replicate No Russian but it ends up being meh.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
What makes Infinite Warfare the best campaign this gen?

I'm not exactly on the "Best" campaign bandwagon, but Infinite Warfare is quite enjoyable.
The space setting is unique, the space combat sequences control especially well and look incredible, there is a wee bit of post-mission engagement back at base...not much, but some side-activities and bonus missions between major sorties to break things up a bit and add some macro-level optional progression fluff to the mix. Oh, and the characters are actually pretty well developed and very memorable. By the end, I felt attached in a way rarely one does in an 8-10 hour fps story.

As a game though, its fully more of the same. Linear, corridor shooting with waves of enemies and not much thought or tactical approach. I finished it on veteran difficulty and didn't have much issue. At no point did anything gameplay-wise really stick out or differentiate from the usual whack-a-mole feel of these spectacle games.

As an aside, I'm currently playing CoD: WWII and feel the return of smoke grenades, squad abilities, health kits, and multiple engagement options(even if basic) have actually added quite a bit to the experience that other recent CoD games have lacked. It's just as linear and cinematic, but the flow and my input feels more active than just reticle aiming. Not even sure why it was divisive, it feels like a nice return to old CoD.

Modern Warfare 2019...a few missions in and its more of the same. Gorgeous, but bombastic and not a lot going on in the design flow. It's a blockbuster production absolutely, but not doing much beyond impressing with its tech and audio.

Oct 27, 2017
It's quite good, but the SAS missions are the standouts to me. I think it has good characters, but the actual plot is set up well but is kind of a letdown in execution.

Think Medal of Honor 2010 in story approach though, very grounded compared to the original. Also not as good, though I loved Price's new voice actor.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's pretty great. Not quite as good as Infinite Warfare but there is some really standout missions in the game.

Took me like 7 or so hours to complete on Veteran.

Nope. This is a reboot. Only thing that might go over your head is all the little call backs to the originals.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Im in your exact boat OP. Single played focused gamer, this was my first COD since MW2.

I had a fucking blast. I played on Hardened, took around 8 hours because I died often.

Most realistic COD, less bombastic, more grounded. If its your first COD in forever you will love it.

Also, best graphics this gen. Yeah I said it. Shit looked incredible throughout.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's a good game, but it seems like it went a little out of the way to shock people. But the graphics, sound and rest of the story make it the second best COD campaign this generation (IW is still the best).

I don't think it's going to be great for replays because of the "shock" sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.