• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Haptic feedback + Speakers is great; it can be nice and subtle but add to the immersion immensely.

Adaptive triggers? Ehhh to be honest, we'll have to see how games utilise it, I couldn't imagine keeping it on for COD in multiplayer. I'm not even a tryhard player but it makes it uncomfortable more than anything. It's annoying in Spiderman too. There are moments in Astrobot where you can see the potential of it though

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I separate the triggers and haptics though, the rain was the first moment for me for the haptics. The slot machine was the first moment for me on the triggers, something very satisfying about pulling that lever and then crushing the ball

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I️ really hope developers take advantage of this controller and it isn't ignored In a year or two

I think it's definitely in developers interest to take advantage of everything the DualSense has to offer. It's one thing watching a game being played on Twitch, quite another to actually be feeling all the textures/resistance/impacts/sounds etc from the controller. Absolutely enhances the experience.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I'm delighted that it's way better than what's in the Switch controllers. I've loved haptic feedback for years now and was very let down by the joy cons and switch pro controller.

Oct 25, 2017

What's your holy shit dual sense moment?

Definitely the triggers, the triggers is something wild hah even just simple stuff like them being harder to pull in whe you're lifting something. The haptic are so so for me, I'm not feelinganything personally that I didn't get from the switch rumble stuff but obviously on a wide surface but the triggers, those are magic.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The DualSense haptics are so cool, Astro was such an incredible way to show off the control. The way different textures feel in the controller is just so, so cool!

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing around with the gacha machine in Astro is what got me. I was so used to lightly pressing the triggers on the ps4 pad but that one section opened my eyes.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Jumping and walking on a metal ground. Wow.

How does it compare to HD rumble?

Not even close.

The combination of feel and sound of the controller is producing is nothing like exists before. Then add the new triggers it's amazing.

HD rumble shouldn't even be compared to this.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah the raindrops on the umbrella completely surprised me. It feels so good! I really did not expect this much from the haptics.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I went all of last gen with rumble turned off. The Dualsense has changed that. Even the basic rumble on the controller feels amazing.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Fuck man and I gotta wait till next month to get my console. I don't feel like going to a friend's house just to play with the DualSense. I can wait... I think...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
there's a reason you're so charmed by the rain. try it with the speaker turned OFF. then turn the speaker back on. those little plinks of rain line up perfectly with the haptic feedback.

this is what I was screaming for weeks: that combination of finely turned vibration + perfectly aligned noises from speaker = the real difference.

So is the experience lessened for headphone users?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the hype everyone drove around it has harmed it more than helped for me. It does not feel revolutionary nor game changing to me .. it just feels likely slightly better haptics. I forget about it entirely unless I'm focusing on it.

I've also showed Astro's Playroom to a bunch of friends (who don't necessarily often play games), and not ta single person has commented on the DualSense. I dunno.

Make no mistake, it's a great controller and I think the haptics are far better than anything else, same with the triggers..but after all the hype, I kind of expected something that would have blown my mind more.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Dual sense is the biggest "new" feeling I've had in gaming since Wii. It's everything I wanted HD rumble to be. The raindrops, and the "pulling" of the gacha lever in Astro was a holy shit moment. I still love to feel the adaptive triggers. I'm scared I'll wear them out or somethign by pressing too hard when there's resistance.
It's the first time I've seen rumble as anything more than a gimmick its the first time I've noticed rumble since the n64.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's like having a crude sense of touch. And it's affordable. Astrobot is a showcase tho. Not only is great care put into the implementation, but they are sort of overdoing it on purpose. That's why it drains the battery. The controller is working most the time and going apeshit a significant amount of the time.

Even if only sony games use it to full advantage, that's alright. They make a ton of games and they are going to be the only ones with super fast loading, etc. It's an advantage for their own games, which have become more and more a focus over the years.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Correct. Press was advised to *not* wear headphones while testing Astro's Playroom. I immediately questioned at Ars why Sony is juggling that impressive aspect of DualSense with their publicity campaign over the Tempest 3D Engine.

Tempest engine's currently supported HW (i.e. Headphones) and DS' haptic accentuating mic definitely are at odds with each other then. As an exclusive headphone user, I wonder how I can reconcile these two features to harmoniously complement each other.

And thank you for the link to the article.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
The dualsense really is the Thing that feels most next gen this go round. I got a small taste by popping in borderlands first then moving to Astro. holy moly is Astro incredible. Really hope devs lean into this because it makes a huge difference immersion wise IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the hype everyone drove around it has harmed it more than helped for me. It does not feel revolutionary nor game changing to me .. it just feels likely slightly better haptics. I forget about it entirely unless I'm focusing on it.

I've also showed Astro's Playroom to a bunch of friends (who don't necessarily often play games), and not ta single person has commented on the DualSense. I dunno.

Make no mistake, it's a great controller and I think the haptics are far better than anything else, same with the triggers..but after all the hype, I kind of expected something that would have blown my mind more.

I was kind of like this with Anchorman xD So many people telling me how funny it was just made it fall on its face all the harder on my first viewing of it. Then I watched it a second time and loved it. Maybe there's another game out there/soon to be out there which make the Dualsense will wow you.

I can't believe your friends didn't remark about how the pad felt different in their hands depending on what they were doing in the game. They sound like some seriously cool customers xD

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, best controller ever made.

S T O K E D to see how future PS5 exclusive games utilize it.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It's a step up from HD rumble, and the haptic triggers are very nice but to be fair I also don't think that most Switch games take advantage of HD rumble at all. The truly impressive stuff such as with the 1-2 Switch ball rolling demo, Tumbleseed and lockpicking in Skyrim haven't been seen since the first year of launch. I hope that developers continue to use the Dual Sense tech.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree that it's amazing but I 100% expect other developers to completely abandon this functionality shortly or at the very least never actually utilize it fully.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
i watched my 5 year old daughter doing the controller demo at the very start, and I hadnt really told her a lot about it. Watching her hold the trigger a bit, then squeeze a bit harder, and JUMP as the sparks flew, then laugh just made my fucking day. Then later on she said "Daddy, there are things inside this controller!"

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pulling the lever for the gatcha machine in Astrobot was pretty amazing.

Swinging with Spiderman is kinda 'eh' though so it is all over the place.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
And a PS5 controller is not a Lamborghini. Simply having an opinion that the tech is meh and not anything to write home about is different than trying to say a Civic is as good as a Lambo.

i think you might be being a little harsh, but yea i don't really see it as a defining next gen feature either.

Oct 27, 2017
there's a reason you're so charmed by the rain. try it with the speaker turned OFF. then turn the speaker back on. those little plinks of rain line up perfectly with the haptic feedback.

this is what I was screaming for weeks: that combination of finely turned vibration + perfectly aligned noises from speaker = the real difference.

Thank you for pointing this out. However, I tried it out and I didn't feel any extra wow factor from hearing the rain drops fall. Maybe if they were louder...

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
How does it compare to HD rumble?
I actually think it's really similar to HD rumble. It really is the speakers tricking your brain half the time into thinking there's a specific metallic feeling or a specific sandy feeling. Basically Team Asobi are geniuses.

The triggers are legit game changers for me though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. Press was advised to *not* wear headphones while testing Astro's Playroom. I immediately questioned at Ars why Sony is juggling that impressive aspect of DualSense with their publicity campaign over the Tempest 3D Engine.

Yeah its almost like two of their main features are at odds with each other.

It needs the audio from the controller to augment the haptics - the two working in combination to provide the impression in your head of textures etc. (sand on bot beach in Astro is a good example of this, and the ice skating).

I don't know why - if you're wearing headphones - it can't use 3D tempest to 'ventriloquist dummy' the audio that would be coming from the speaker to sound like its coming from close to you and down (roughly where your hands would be expected to be). Seems like they don't even mix the audio in at all right now which massively dilutes the experience.

Oct 28, 2017
The moment the little astro bots fall into the controller when you begin a new game of Astro was amazing. Can feel them roll side to side in the controller and impacting the simulated side walls, can even feel them roll around the back, front and top of the controller with momentum from making a swirling motion., like having a can full of beans. Very cool effect and I look forward to more. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Spiderbot missions in Spider-Man Remastered added it to the bots footsteps, even varying it for the different surfaces since up to that point the game doesn't really use it.

That was the most impressive thing for me, I think a lot of people missed that, being about to actually feeling the astro bots rolling across the inside of the controller was just mind blowing.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the rest of Astrobot yesterday without headphones and while the experience was better than with them on, I still wasn't really blow away by the haptics (fwiw I also played through the rainy section that OP is referring to in that session). I get it might feel crazy to people who have never experienced any such more refined haptic feedback, but I don't know why bleeding-edge-tech personalities like MKBHD hyped it up that much.

Oh well, I'm still impressed with the rest of the package. The controller tracking is really good and the adaptive triggers are cool (especially for the Gacha machine in Astrobot, quite trippy to feel the ball fall into your right hand so to speak).