• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sims features an LGBTQ couple on a game cover for the first time ever

D_oe1i6X4AI97qz.jpg:large

Meet Dela Ostrow (the Sim with the purple hair) and Mia Hayes (the Sim with the blue beanie):

Dela Ostrow: As a kid, Dela lived all over the world, shadowing her mum—a globally sought-after fashion photographer. That experience gave Dela an inherent sense of optimism and a deep entrepreneurial spirit. She recently launched her first fashion line, and her unique pieces and global style is starting to get press. Her girlfriend Mia—a designer in her own right—helps keep her informed of trends outside the fashion industry.

Mia Hayes: With a head for numbers, and a creative eye, Mia splits her time between freelance programmer and artist gigs. Being both a bit of an introvert, and a bit of a rebel, this independence suited her outlook in life. Mia has a unique way of attracting creative, high-energy friends like Noah, and her girlfriend Dela. They love her genuine, almost kid-like enthusiasm. She is the glue that bonds her social circles together.

I felt like this deserved it's own thread. This is goddamn awesome to see from a huge publisher like EA. Talk shit about them but in this one case, they are bang on the money. And best part is, you can freely download these CANON Sims for free, straight from the gallery and use them in your own game.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm actually surprised it wasnt early. Sims has always been about celebrating the LGBT stuff albeit usually from the corporate EA perspective

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Why don't you just call it what it is. They are a lesbian couple, not lgbtq.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
EA has done a lot of dumb things to its Sim franchises over the years, but this is not one of them.

Credit where credit is due for positive representation and inclusivity.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
EA has a done a lot of dumb things to its Sim franchises over the years, but this is not one of them.
Maxis has really been doing well with its representation, and the Sims audience has been extremely positive about it as well

its just a good feel all around

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
In any other game it would feel huge but I just feel that in the sims it just feels so little and inconsequential as lgtb has been a huge part of the sims since the start of the series (was it sims 1 or sims 2) and any cover before could have already been a gay couple. Why actually put names and gender to the sims in the cover now?
Well its cool i suppose, but EA is still a terrible company.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Hope to see them putting more same sex couples on covers and marketing material in the future and that more games promote/add in the option for gay and lesbian relationships.

May 26, 2018
Y'know, I just realized...

Shouldn't Sims have names that are also in Simlish? I've been giving mine normal names since the first game and I haven't thought about this until now.

Aine

May 27, 2019
A non-straight woman with dyed hair. I'm sure Youtube will react to this in the calmest of manners.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
In any other game it would feel huge but I just feel that in the sims it just feels so little and inconsequential as lgtb has been a huge part of the sims since the start of the series (was it sims 1 or sims 2) and any cover before could have already been a gay couple. Why actually put names and gender to the sims in the cover now?
Well its cool i suppose, but EA is still a terrible company.
The cover characters have been the pre-made household sims since at least The Sims 3, with names and stories and everything. Even back in The Sims 1 they used the households you could start playing with (with info and all) in promotional material. It didn't start now.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive Commentary Surrounding Representation; Accumulated Infractions"
Except they could be bisexual?
Anyone could be. Maybe Marcus or snake is?

You've all missed my point. Including a lesbian couple is the lowest level of inclusiveness. It will be a while until you see a male couple on the cover.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no game dev career (hey Maxis, please add this!), but you can do some game gigs in the freelance careers iirc.

You totally can, and they pay out so much, you could basically focus on only making games as a viable career.

But still, it'd be cool if there was an official job for it.

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but it seems pretty implied in this in part here

"Talk shit about them but in this one case "
People talk shit about EA. That much is a fact. So I said talk shit about them, but in this case they did a beautiful thing.

Now point to where I am talking shit about EA. I'm the biggest Sims stan on this forum outside of Spyware, I have the game all DLC on two platforms. Now show me where I said everything EA has done is bad.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Can we see the full cover?

I didn't even realize they were still selling The Sims expacs physically.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
For people saying including lesbians is basically nothing (lesbians must feel so happy that you think so!) I can add that they have both a pre-made household of two married men and a pre-made household with a non-binary sim. Sure they are not on the covers (yet), but there is a lot of good representation in the game.

Can we see the full cover?

I didn't even realize they were still selling The Sims expacs physically.
yG3dyhR.png

Last edited:

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf, there is a gay male couple in-game(included in the cats and dogs expansion I believe), and one of the guys is on that expansion's cover, but that requires you to buy the $40/$20 expansion.

The Sims has certainly been making strides in inclusion though, there's no denying that.