• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
Started playing this the other day thanks to it being free on Playstation Plus this month. Having a blast so far but the sheer amount of packs and addon's that are available to buy is a bit daunting.

Indeed. I had almost forgot the crazy amount of expansions that usually come with these games. Just looking up information about each content pack takes a good amount of time and research.

Game is a blast though so I might buy some of them.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
So like I don't know if I'm just dumb but I'm not sure how you should exactly play the Sims. I created myself who is a young adult and have just been living for a few days. Do people typically turn aging off and continue to play as a single Sim or do you end up aging and then playing as your family tree?

I don't really want to have to control more than one Sim but since my character is a young adult I assume he could never go the University and such. Don't know the right way about going about this.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
So like I don't know if I'm just dumb but I'm not sure how you should exactly play the Sims. I created myself who is a young adult and have just been living for a few days. Do people typically turn aging off and continue to play as a single Sim or do you end up aging and then playing as your family tree?

I don't really want to have to control more than one Sim but since my character is a young adult I assume he could never go the University and such. Don't know the right way about going about this.

Everyone's different.

My sister likes to turn aging off and add cheats to everyone's skills and just make dumb storylines.
I turn aging on, started as a single self sim and I've been growing my legacy. I've had twins who have grown up and I've since moved onto playing my sister-in-law who's in university.
My friend likes to download custom content and either make sims or build houses.

There's really no "right" way to play Sims. Just whatever you have most fun with. Initially, I couldn't handle playing more than one sim. I started by myself and eventually I got bored of that so I turned on aging and started a family.

OP
OP
Sandfox

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

People play Sims however they want and create their own story. You could just live out your life, try to create a legacy with generations of family, work towards becoming super rich, or even try to get with every sim in the world if you really wanted to. A lot of people like to do challenges with some sort of goal. I was thinking about adding a challenges section to the first post.

Young adult is university age if you own the expansion.

empressdonna

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland, United Kingdom
Out of curiosity for those that own it, is the Tiny Living stuff pack worth it?

I'm trying to figure out what packs I will most likely buy next and the only thing I have decided on is to get the ps4 bundle with City Living, Vampires and Vintage Glamour.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This game would be the perfect fit for the switch lol
Im playing right now on pc and i quite like it

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
I just can't get over how expensive the add-on packs are.
There are dozens and each is priced at 10-25$, it's massive if you really want the "full experience"...

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017

I'm trying to figure out what packs I will most likely buy next and the only thing I have decided on is to get the ps4 bundle with City Living, Vampires and Vintage Glamour.

I've not bought it, but it looks like a pretty poor pack to me. Functional the beds don't take up any less space than a regular bed, so the pack seems like mostly just a bunch of furniture and clothes. Not worth it imo, certainly not at full price.

There are dozens and each is priced at 10-25$, it's massive if you really want the "full experience"...

Definitely never buy any of the packs at full price. I think I've bought most of the DLC that I have from cdkeys, they have lots of the DLC in 3-pack bundles.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recommend buying more than 1-2 packs at a time. You will not appreciate what they add, nor see even half of what they bring to the game because you will be overwhelmed by it all.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really have to get into this again. I haven't played since I think the second one but the sheer amount of stuff to buy is somewhat daunting to the wallet. Is there a "complete" package at all that gets me all the expansions, or even signing up to Origin Access that gives me it all?

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I just wanna buy something with all the content
:-( but maybe I'm so casual with it the base game is fine.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I really have to get into this again. I haven't played since I think the second one but the sheer amount of stuff to buy is somewhat daunting to the wallet. Is there a "complete" package at all that gets me all the expansions, or even signing up to Origin Access that gives me it all?
It's not possible to buy a "complete package" , you have to buy the packs individually or in bundles. They do go on sale alot though. It's not really designed for you to buy all of them, that's really only for people who are constantly playing it. Different packs suit different playstyles and people, what one person would like another would hate. That's why there's such a big variety, it's sort of a pick and choose. I'd reccommend playing the base game for a while, seeing who you prefer to play, and then coming back here and we could probably best advise you on what packs would suit your playstyle. Even the ranking in the OP of packs, I don't think is very useful because again it very much depends on how you like to play. And as Dandy said above, if you bought all the packs at once, you'd be overwhelmed, that's a really really large amount of content,.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love sims, but don't love the ingame time system..lol

Same. Doing stuff like cooking and showering takes way too long. On top of that I've had moments where my sim wouldn't do anything and just stand still while all the actions are queued up. I liked playing Sims back in the day but this game is just too frustrating with its mechanics and bugs. I deleted it after a few hours. Fucking EA man.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
No, there isn't.

Start playing with the base. If you like it, buy 2-3 packs that seem the most interesting/highest rated, and see if you still want more after a few dozen hours.

The packs are a total waste of money if you buy them all at once because you will miss a lot of what each one adds to the game.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yeah the Expansions and Game Packs are absolutely supposed to be added one by one, or maybe as the Expansion + Game Pack + Stuff Pack bundle kind.

And yeah there are no "must have" packs since everyone play the game differently. Parenthood is by far the most recommended and highest rated Game Pack pretty much everywhere, but it wouldn't add anything fun for someone that doesn't play families. Some didn't get the game until they added pets, some would never ever want any pets in their game. Supernatural stuff could be the reason you play or something you avoid like the plague.

All packs does not equal the full experience, it's a bunch of experiences put together and very few will enjoy all of them.

I think it's the best Stuff Pack they've done, so yeah if you wanna build tiny then go for it!

Same. Doing stuff like cooking and showering takes way too long. On top of that I've had moments where my sim wouldn't do anything and just stand still while all the actions are queued up. I liked playing Sims back in the day but this game is just too frustrating with its mechanics and bugs. I deleted it after a few hours. Fucking EA man.
For PC players I definitely recommend MCCC where you can change how fast the in-game time is (and also match the time it takes for skills and motive/needs decay), and also download mods for quicker eating, cooking, showering and such. The game is much more enjoyable that way.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Good news: They go on sale a lot.
Bad news: Unfortunately, you just missed one.
I personally think all the DLC is priced too high so I just wait and pick up the ones that go on sale.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Even worse news: the stuff packs hardly go on sale.
Even better news: the expansion packs almost always go on sale, even a month after release. Universities was discounted 50% when the Christmas sale hit. So you can take it easy and buy one, or perhaps two, each important sale.

February 14th is coming. For sure there will be sale.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
This bug can be frustrating. On PC, sometimes just opening up the menu (Esc), or switching between live and build/buy mode and back will fix it. Sometimes I'll have to jump out to Manage Worlds (or main menu) and back to the household I was playing. Or if something is stuck in the queue and won't go away, sometimes having one sim travel to a different lot fixes it.

As for things taking too long, there are ways to speed up some actions. Better beds, showers, or building skill at cooking, or upgrading items so they work better. Also I find that chores in general are a little easier to manage with two or more sims. There's always someone free to clean or cook or get the mail.

As other said, it depends on how you want to play. I used to play with aging left on, but I find myself bouncing around between different households pretty often, I eventually just turned it off. But I'll probably go back to it because one of the core ideas behind The Sims is trying to meet goals in a limited timeframe. When there's no end state, a sim can simply pursue everything and anything in the game. Aging on, you're "forced" to pick and choose what you want to work towards. Also while you can still age sims up with aging turned off (through birthday cake/candles), it's not quite the same as seeing them age up naturally.

If you find aging too limiting, by all means turn it off while you get used to the game's mechanics.

Also Young Adult and older can attend university. (I think if you're Adult or Elder, you don't get scholarships, but can still attend?) "Teen" in this game sort of means you're in middle school/high school.

Also having more than one sim isn't bad, and can be helpful for starting funds/income, having someone free to do chores, etc. You can focus on one sim and mostly let other sims take care of themselves. You may have to step in now and then, but they will take care of the basics, even if not as efficiently as if you were managing them directly.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
People play Sims however they want and create their own story. You could just live out your life, try to create a legacy with generations of family, work towards becoming super rich, or even try to get with every sim in the world if you really wanted to. A lot of people like to do challenges with some sort of goal. I was thinking about adding a challenges section to the first post.

Young adult is university age if you own the expansion.

The way I like to play is to create a Sim and complete an aspiration or two. Then, you create a new Sim for a new aspiration. Each individual sim carves their own path and you don't end up with the one Sim who is a millionaire and great at every skill. Each sim ends up unique and you get attached to them because you have seen them through a story. I have a sim who is a mixologist, I have a sim who is an actor, I have a sim who is a doctor, I have a sim I am putting through university, so on and so on.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
How do people like the Tiny House stuff? I loved watching tiny house builds on YouTube and now that we got a pack for that it seems very intriguing. Got no DLC at all cause I got the game for free and didn't bother playing very much though

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My wife gave it a whirl but kinda hard stopped after trying to play this with a controller on PS4. Just isn't intuitive at all.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
How do people like the Tiny House stuff? I loved watching tiny house builds on YouTube and now that we got a pack for that it seems very intriguing. Got no DLC at all cause I got the game for free and didn't bother playing very much though
I like the tile-based challenge of building smaller houses, and some of the new furniture is quite useful. It's not going to be as big of a change from the base game as a full blown expansion pack, but for a stuff pack, I like what it has to offer. Murphy beds I probably won't end up using much, as they still need six tiles, take time to fold down, and can kill sims in accidents.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
So, I've been playing this game on mac and it works surprisingly well! But the base game is so low on content that I see myself getting bored in a few days

I really want some expansions like City Living, Seasons and Get to work, but they are SO OVERPRICED wtf

I can't spend any money right now, does anyone have a discount coupon to spare or any tip? :(

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So, I've been playing this game on mac and surprisingly it works very well! But the base game is so low on content that I see myself getting bored in a few days

I really want some expansions like City Living, Seasons and Get to work, but they are SO OVERPRICED wtf

I can't spend any money right now, does anyone have a discount coupon to spare or any tip? :(
  • Looks like you just missed a sale. You can catch future sales by keeping an eye on this thread, or looking at the various DLC on the title screen when you launch the game (it will show a "-X% next to packs that are on sale). They happen somewhat regularly.
  • If you have a Target nearby, they carry Sims 4 DLC in what remains of their PC games section. Sometimes you'll find some packs on sale there during times when it's not discounted on Origin.
  • Discount codes aren't really a thing on Origin, AFAIK. Or at least I've never really run across them anywhere.
  • If you find yourself bored in the game, try break the routine of sleep/eat/work/level up skills. Take a vacation day. Travel around to different lots and try out objects/activities you don't have on your home lot. Meet some new sims and strike up a relationship with them. Download lots or sims from the Gallery and place them in your world. Try creating a new household with totally different personalities and aspirations. Have a baby/adopt a kid. Look into mods for the game. (I assume the mod process works the same for PC and Mac.)

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
How's the camera in the Moschino pack?

Well, the tripod setup is supposed to allow you greater camera controls when using the camera. However, those special controls got broken in the December patch and they haven't fixed it yet. I love to fill up my Sims walls with pictures and I loved the new controls (like raising/lowering height and whatnot), so this is a huge bummer to me.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I make so many small/tiny homes, I wanted to try making something big for a change. Still ended up making some of the rooms pretty cramped, trying not to expand the size of the building too much while fitting everything in. Did not spend much time on the yard (just moved a few things around on one of the free Del Sol lots).

YYXTG63.png

VXD5VJk.png

gMkQyUT.png

O7UFKTc.png

Your eye for design is amazing. I never know how to build with weird color swatches but you make it look easy.

So, I've been playing this game on mac and it works surprisingly well! But the base game is so low on content that I see myself getting bored in a few days

Instant-gaming sells packs for super cheap. I believe they buy their own codes so I'm allowed to talk about them on this site. If they're a banned site, please let me know so I don't get banned lol.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys

So, instant gaming is selling packs with a 58% discount. Amazing! Should I buy or wait for a better discount?

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Is there a mod that makes the Sims not want to dance all the time. I put a radio in the house I built and almost everyone of them defaults to wanting to dance at the radio instead of anything else at the house.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a mod that makes the Sims not want to dance all the time. I put a radio in the house I built and almost everyone of them defaults to wanting to dance at the radio instead of anything else at the house.

Dancing gives them fun. If you give them computers they should switch to playing video games all the time.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I think MCCC still has a working version of Scumbobumbo's SCAM mod built it
Here are the instructions.

I used it ages ago to turn off everyone playing PC games. Every single sim was dropping whatever they were doing to go play games and it was driving me insane.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I did nothing in these past 2 days but play this game. I have never played The Sims before.

I don't even know what it is that makes me care so much about an imaginary family, but BY GOD my toddler will have his oatmeal DAMN IT!

I also want every single piece of DLC this minute, but fuck that pricing. And I say that as a CK2 fanboy.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I did nothing in these past 2 days but play this game. I have never played The Sims before.

I don't even know what it is that makes me care so much about an imaginary family, but BY GOD my toddler will have his oatmeal DAMN IT!

I also want every single piece of DLC this minute, but fuck that pricing. And I say that as a CK2 fanboy.
I don't know anyone that pays full price for DLC. I usually check on isthereanydeal for discounts, it only shows legit sites. So no grey market sellers.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
How the hell do you buy a bar object in the build menu? I can't find anything to put in my house or lot to help me with mixing drinks, I'm a young adult idk if that has anything to do with it. I looked in counters, skills literally everything please help.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell do you buy a bar object in the build menu? I can't find anything to put in my house or lot to help me with mixing drinks, I'm a young adult idk if that has anything to do with it. I looked in counters, skills literally everything please help.

Bars should be in the dining room tab, next to the window image I believe.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Last edited:

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I think MCCC still has a working version of Scumbobumbo's SCAM mod built it
Here are the instructions.

I used it ages ago to turn off everyone playing PC games. Every single sim was dropping whatever they were doing to go play games and it was driving me insane.
You can also now with the most recent couple of patches restrict computer access similar to doors. I'm so glad they added that tbh, I was getting tired of neighbors coming over and playing constant games.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
To be honest I still forget where certain items are. They just get buried sometimes haha.
This! It's why I love the search bar 😊 still wish we had a system like Sims 2 were we could make a folder of items to group them together. It would be so useful so I could make folders of items I use frequently, or by theme or just clutter I like for each room. The possibilities would be endless! It would even be cool if you could integrate with the gallery and share your folders 😊