• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
So I just received my $200 Prime exclusive, Limited Edition Collector's Set of Alita Battle Angel and was excited to see the autographs from James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and Jon Landau on the "Certificate Of Authenticity" - when I noticed that they looked a bit inauthentic.

I compared them to other Alita LE COA signatures from unboxing videos and it's easy to conclude that they were mass-produced and printed off - they were definitely not hand-signed. Anyone looking to get this set second hand, since they are sold out - beware.

There is nothing in this set without those signatures being authentic that's worth $200 and by the way, there's no number to show what number of the "limited" amount you received, nor is the art book the complete version - it even says "Abridged Version" on the cover.

I am very disappointed in this set.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it common practice for a COA to be hand-signed? Wouldn't the thing the COA is certifying be the thing that would be hand-signed, instead?

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'll sign it for you.
Lol okay🤘🏻
Is it common practice for a COA to be hand-signed? Wouldn't the thing the COA is certifying be the thing that would be hand-signed, instead?
Usually a certificate of authenticity that has signatures is meant to the note that the signatures are authentic - I mean with this set, I can't figure what the certificate of authenticity is authenticating, since there's no notation of what limited number version you even have...😡

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I've bought a few CEs with these "certificates" or whatever in them and the signatures, if there were ones, were always printed on.

I mean, you had to at least suspect James Cameron wouldn't personally sit down and sign several thousand Blu-ray copies, right?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Usually the case for products like this, they sign something and then just copy and print them onto the items, no way these important busy guys are going to sit and hand sign every single copy.

It's still their signature though, just a printed version of their signature.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
The Amazon page is pretty clear:

"Copy of Certification of Authenticity signed by James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, and Jon Landau"

If you thought James Cameron was hand signing all the COA for this limited edition prime exclusive, I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
If the CoA isn't Authentic, is any of it?
Nothing in the set is worth a COA - its a ridiculous scam. It includes the $30 4K Blu-ray, and abridged art book, two postcard-sized prints...and that's it. The main draw of the set was this certificate of authenticity with James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and Jon Landau's signatures on it - it even says "signed certificate of authenticity" in the description.

I figured that the autographs had to be hand-signed/authentic, due to the cost of the item because nothing else in it adds up to being worth even $100.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
The signatures are fake and they didn't even bother to include Yukito Kishiro's autograph?

Sheesh...

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

"Copy of Certification of Authenticity signed by James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, and Jon Landau"

If you thought James Cameron was hand signing all the COA for this limited edition prime exclusive, I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you.
It doesn't say that - on the front of the box it even says "signed certificate of authenticity" and it also shows that in the description - it does not mention that it's a copy. Had it mentioned that when I pre-ordered it last month, I wouldn't have been interested.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry that happened to you, OP, but life is all about the next opportunity. Would you be interested in purchasing a baseball I have that is "signed" by "Babe Ruth"?

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
They don't actually sign these things.
The item itself has printed on it "signed certificate of authenticity" it does not say that it is a copy. The entire point of this set being $200 seems to revolve around the fact that you're getting these hand-signed autographs. The fact that they are printed off totally negates the fact that anything else in the set would be worth $200. If you add the cost of the contents together, you don't even get $100.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The item itself has printed on it "signed certificate of authenticity" it does not say that it is a copy. The entire point of this set being $200 seems to revolve around the fact that you're getting these hand-signed autographs. The fact that they are printed off totally negates the fact that anything else in the set would be worth $200. If you add the cost of the contents together, you don't even get $100.
I checked this out too and the certificate was the least interesting thing about the set. Seemed overpriced right from the get go. If it doesn't say personally signed it's going to be a printing.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I checked this out too and the certificate was the least interesting thing about the set. Seemed overpriced right from the get go. If it doesn't say personally signed it's going to be a printing.
Which is the whole point, of course. Why is this set so expensive? Because of the COA. And looking at that as well, what is it "authenticating", since there is no number to denote what one I have out of whatever the limited amount made was? It obviously seems like it was touted and put in the set to entice people to buy it on the assumption based on the marketing that they were actual autographs.

As I said before, if it had said "a copy of a COA", I wouldn't have bought it.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't say that - on the front of the box it even says "signed certificate of authenticity" and it also shows that in the description - it does not mention that it's a copy. Had it mentioned that when I pre-ordered it last month, I wouldn't have been interested.

it does say "signed certificate of authenticity" all over the images but the description says it is a copy

That said, I would be pissed too, tbh. You should return it

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Hs9Kc01.png

Sorry man, I know it sucks to waste such a large amount of money on this, but this is kinda on you. These kinds of "certificates" usually don't have actual, hand-signed autographs on them and it said they were copies in the very short list of "Special Features" the LE is coming with. Amazon is normally were easy to work with if you want to return a product, just do that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, they should have been more clear.

On the other hand, it's totally foolish to think they'd get James Cameron to sit down and sign a couple thousand cards, for a movie he didn't even direct. Obviously it's a print.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the market for the digital copy if you want to sell it, OP.

Sorry about the rest. I thought it would at least have a cool figure or something.

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
As much of an Akita day as I am, this set was a hard pass for me. Even with the signatures, it didn't seem like any of there content added up to $200.
It's neat, I guess, but the 4K movie is good enough for me.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hs9Kc01.png

Sorry man, I know it sucks to waste such a large amount of money on this, but this is kinda on you. These kinds of "certificates" usually don't have actual, hand-signed autographs on them and it said they were copies in the very short list of "Special Features" the LE is coming with. Amazon is normally were easy to work with if you want to return a product, just do that.
I'm on mobile and I have no way of seeing that special features section. That is completely news to me as everything on the mobile page only shows a picture of the box that says "signed certificate of authenticity" and then the next picture over shows what's in the set and it says "signed certificate of authenticity". As I said, if I'd seen that it said "copy of", I wouldn't have bought this set - I mean why the fuck is it $200 then?!?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You can rest easy knowing you've contributed to the Alita sequel movement.

(honestly I would've never expected real signatures in these things myself)

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Most of the pre-release reviews of the product seem to think they were getting authentic signatures. I don't think I can really fault OP that much, cause the rest of the set sure doesn't add up to $200, although I probably would have expected copied signatures personally

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
You can rest easy knowing you've contributed to the Alita sequel movement.

(honestly I would've never expected real signatures in these things myself)
For that price I really expected them to be genuine signatures. I don't see the special features on mobile anywhere that says "copy of". I wouldn't have bought it if that was the case - I just wanted the movie, but I thought how awesome it would be to have those autographs. With it being just a mass-produced, printed-off COA, what is it even certifying to be authentic??

I've searched through the entire set and there is nothing that shows an "authentic" number of this limited edition that I have one of; so what is it authenticating in the first place?

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Did anyone here buy the Bill Gates Edition of Windows Vista?

"Autographed" special editions are a hilarious racket that people keep falling for.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
For that price I really expected them to be genuine signatures. I don't see the special features on mobile anywhere that says "copy of". I wouldn't have bought it if that was the case - I just wanted the movie, but I thought how awesome it would be to have those autographs. With it being just a mass-produced, printed-off COA, what is it even certifying to be authentic??

I've searched through the entire set and there is nothing that shows an "authentic" number of this limited edition that I have one of; so what is it authenticating in the first place?

Now that's really interesting that you didn't see that on mobile. Again, just contact Amazon, with that info in mind you will have no trouble returning it.

Regarding the certificate: These aren't actual "certificates" in any real way. They are another marketing gimmick, just as all the other stuff in there, intended to make it seem more special, unique, whatever else. Without or without a number, it's just there to tell you "Good Job! You bought the most expensive thing.", basically.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Most of the pre-release reviews of the product seem to think they were getting authentic signatures. I don't think I can really fault OP that much, cause the rest of the set sure doesn't add up to $200, although I probably would have expected copied signatures personally
Exactly this. There was nothing in the marketing or the news articles that said that these weren't genuine hand-signed signatures.
IDK why you'd drop 200 dollars on something without double checking what you were buying.
But I did check on it. I read several news articles about it and they all mentioned them being actual autographs and on mobile there is no special features section that says that it's merely a copy of a certificate of authenticity, which defeats the purpose of it being authentic to anything.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
You can just return it as "not as described" for the full amount.

I've seen a ton of these fake signatures in collectors sets and I don't know who would even enjoy a printed copy.

Now, buying my copy of the All You Need is Kill manga to actually find a copy of Takeshi Obata's signature on the inside copy? That's pretty awesome, and I didn't even need to raffle at a con for it :x So yeah, sometimes people DO sit down and signature a bunch (especially in Kickstarters).

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've seen a ton of these fake signatures in collectors sets and I don't know who would even enjoy a printed copy.
Exactly. Like what's the point of it and how does this set exude even the semblance of a $200 value without those signatures being hand-signed? What is the certificate of authenticity "authenticating" exactly when it's not even numbered?

Check out the item's page on mobile and you'll see that the "special features" section does not exist.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone saying it's OP's fault: Sure, if you take into account the very specific wording in one sentence low on the page visible only on desktop and ignore the headlines in the product photos that neglect to say "copy," you can find their legal escape hatch. But it's obvious that their intent was to make buyers think that they're getting real signatures. It's literally a certificate of authenticity that doesn't certify anything and is not authentic. It's a marketing goose egg. Unfortunately it's not the first time I've seen this sham with LE sets, either.
I didn't know this set existed until now but it's easy to see the shit they were trying to pull on people and how buyers could fall for it. Have some empathy, it was designed to deceive. Nobody needs to see your limp ego flopping around.

OP just send it back and tell amazon the product photos were deceptive and the item you got was not as described.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Everyone saying it's OP's fault: Sure, if you take into account the very specific wording in one sentence low on the page visible only on desktop and ignore the headlines in the product photos that neglect to say "copy," you can find their legal escape hatch. But it's obvious that their intent was to make buyers think that they're getting real signatures. It's literally a certificate of authenticity that doesn't certify anything and is not authentic. It's a marketing goose egg. Unfortunately it's not the first time I've seen this sham with LE sets, either.
I didn't know this set existed until now but it's easy to see the shit they were trying to pull on people and how buyers could fall for it. Have some empathy, it was designed to deceive. Nobody needs to see your limp ego flopping around.

OP just send it back and tell amazon the product photos were deceptive and the item you got was not as described.
tenor.gif

Exactamundo!

I'm definitely sending it back as I just want the movie and without the autographs being genuine, the set is pointless.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Hs9Kc01.png

There have been huge court cases over less ambiguous language. I can see the problems

Copy of "COA signed by them" vs "Copy of COA" signed by them

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I laughed. xD

And yeah I've never received a signed mass-produced anything that had a real signature. You go to cons and pay money for those there, not as a package in a box set CE.

The phrasing is just vague enough to assume it's more an "authentic CE package" even if the sigs aren't.
But yeah I'm sure you'll get your money back from Amazon if you make your grievance known.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah the whole "certificate of aunthenticity" is more often than not just words on a paper, to make the items seem more special, and usually doesn't even mean anything. Maybe "you bought a legit item"?