• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I first met the co-founders of Yacht Club Games in October of 2016, at their sleek, ocean-adjacent offices in Marina del Rey, California, they told me they were shocked to still be working on Shovel Knight. After all, it had been three and a half years since they'd quit their day jobs to make their dream video game. Over barbecue rice bowls at a lunch spot nearby, they confessed to feeling burnt out and dreaming about being done with their horned blue hero.

What they didn't know then was that they'd be working on Shovel Knight for another three years.

"It has been so hard at times, and it's been dark at times, but overall it's just been—what an incredible ride," said Sean Velasco, the game's director and one of the founding members, in a phone interview last week. "I'm so lucky that I got to do this."

This week, Yacht Club Games launched Shovel Knight: King of Cards and Shovel Knight: Showdown, the final two entries in what's become a five-game saga. As part of a now-finished compilation, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, they mark the end to an odyssey that started nearly seven years ago.

Velasco and his co-founders, all former colleagues at a studio called Wayforward Games, had first pitched Shovel Knight as a Kickstarter in March of 2013. They promised a tight, NES-style platformer that crossed the iconic structure of Mega Man with the tight design of Mario and the tactile downward thrusts of Zelda II. They also promised stretch goals, as was common practice on Kickstarter—if they surpassed their initial funding target of $75,000, they'd commit to features like a Mac version and an in-game music player. At $115,000, they'd turn one of the game's villains into a playable character, allowing a player to go through all of Shovel Knight with a whole new set of abilities. If they were lucky enough to raise $250,000, they said, they'd make three of these villainous boss knights playable.

Thanks to an impressive PAX East showing and some last-minute help from streamers, the Shovel Knight Kickstarter raised over $311,000, which meant that Velasco and crew were on the hook for all of their stretch goals. That meant they had to create not one but three playable boss knights. Once the game shipped, in June 2014, they started planning out what the first of those playable villains—Plague Knight—would look like.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Yacht Club takes a long vacation from making games and then comes back energized and strong to make something that has nothing to do with Shovel Knight.

I'm really glad they were so willing to support the game so damn much over the years, but it must have been insane to not get to move on for that long. I hope that whatever they do next is fun too.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for them. It has been a great series of releases. I hope they get to make their next dream game next.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Shovel Knight Dig being a thing with Nitrome means their next game isn't related in any way. I want to see them tackle something that isnt a platformer and see their take.

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to pick this up. Next sale... Is there something like a definitive edition available?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What a ride its been. Hands down one of my favourite indie games ever, I'm working my way through King of Cards at the moment and am having a blast with it. The DLC campaigns went far and beyond what I expected, what with them really remixing or just remaking brand new levels especially for King and Spectre Knights.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
For those who skip the article, it includes a reminder that Shovel Knight Dig is in another dev's hands and still in production. What it doesn't say is how *GOOD* SKD already is in its expo-preview state. I lost an hour to that mother at PAX West this year. Mr. Driller as a killer roguelite.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I've been sleeping on this series for the longest time. Halfway through SK1 and that's it. There's lots to look forward to at least!

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One of the first games I bought for my Switch.

Still haven't played it. I'm thinking I'm going to run through it now that all the DLC is out.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Love Shovel Knight and as far as I'm concerned it's the most impressive indie success story of the generation.

Bought the game at retail on 3DS and Wii U plus the Shovel Knight and 3-Pack amiibo.

Debating if I want to buy the Gold SK amiibo as well and I kinda want this plush as well.

Wish I had caught some of the SK merch when it was plentiful at Fangamer. They had such a lovely polo shirt.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I just kinda hoping they're getting paid. They essentially have permanent good will from me outside of getting milkshake duck'd. Whatever their next games out is getting insta-purchased by me.

Wonder if this old school free DLC model is working out for them numbers-wise.

For those who skip the article, it includes a reminder that Shovel Knight Dig is in another dev's hands and still in production. What it doesn't say is how *GOOD* SKD already is in its expo-preview state. I lost an hour to that mother at PAX West this year. Mr. Driller as a killer roguelite.

Oh my god what

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
What an incredible ride it has been for Yacht Club Games. And to see how far their company has come since 2013 is just amazing. I hope their future continues to blossom and be as bright as it is now.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove is a 10/10. I love every level and every character, and it's probably one of, if not the, best platformer I've ever played. Yacht Club is great.

Also this thread reminded me Dig is gonna be a thing. Super excited for that as well.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
It's great that they supported Shovel Knight for free all this long, but we should have got Shovel Knight Galaxy by now.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It was so worth it though. My favorite indie game of the decade. Still playing through King of Cards but I didn't think I could love the characters and world of Shovel Knight so much. I know a lot of people think they should do something else but I say keep giving us Shovel Knight because there is still so much they can do with what they created. Im not saying make Shovel Knight 64 or whatever, in fact I think one game is enough with the whole "make a game in the style of a retro game", but I do think bringing Shovel Knight into the 3rd dimension could be really cool.

The Baz will never be bigger.
Still can't believe how far the bastards come.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to buy it at some point but realized that they increased the price significantly, so I guess that I am going to wait...

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Was just reading about the development of the game today in Jason's book. They more than deserve a long break after everything they've done with the game. One day when I get the time I really wanna try it for myself

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of crazy how long they supported it. $15 a few years ago and it's still being updated with quality content years later. They've earned a break.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Yacht Studios are the best. I've never seen such customer service in their field before. It truly boggles the mind and I hope their title is evergreen and they get fat stacks off it forever.