• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The why is relevant. People should be able to discuss their opinions on any individual piece of legislation without being browbeat that they're helping the GOP if it just do happens that they're criticizing a piece of Democratic legislation. At that point you just want a cheerleading squad.
And they are perfectly able to say what they want, just like others are allowed to criticize them for being ill-informed and unhelpful.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels kind of round about to go on about the bill not being enough when its hopefully not the end all and be all. In reality future bills should push even harder and further on many of the same things as the IRA and even more. I'll take "death" by a thousand cuts if chopping the head off with one swing isn't in any way possible or reasonable to expect.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And they are perfectly able to say what they want, just like others are allowed to criticize them for being ill-informed and unhelpful.
Oh, of course. Criticize folks if they get the facts and general gist of the legislation wrong (this is a good bill). But you don't need to throw out the thought-terminating cliche that the mere act of ignorance is "helping the Republicans." The Democrats help Republicans enough themselves before we get down to people on a small niche platform complaining it doesn't go far enough.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Anything that helps depress Democrats helps the GOP. You don't need to be following their talking points exactly to be ultimately helping their cause.

Please talk about whatever else you want Congress to do. Contribute, campaign, and vote for it. Attacking the IRA does not a drop of good. It is a great accomplishment, and we need that.

Criticising a bill after it's passed doesn't mean "attacking" anything. I can criticize legislation that factually doesnt meet the standards that this moment demands without being accused of helping republicans. I'm sorry you don't see value in expressing disappointment but it's how we get better things in the future. Politics isn't about not raining on parades or not rocking the boat. We didn't get here because Manchin and Sinema thought they would get back pats no matter what was in the bill, had that been the case it could have been worse.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Feels kind of round about to go on about the bill not being enough when its hopefully not the end all and be all. In reality future bills should push even harder and further on many of the same things as the IRA and even more. I'll take "death" by a thousand cuts if chopping the head off with one swing isn't in any way possible or reasonable to expect.

We definitely got the most out of this reconciliation.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Yeah but no legislation is the "end all be all", that isn't how any of this works. All legislation contains compromises and could be improved. Why should people not express how they feel about a bill that is now guaranteed to pass?

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I love my electric stove. The only thing that sucks is that if it breaks or you lose power, you can't cook a damn thing with it.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I swear some of you would be pissed off at builders laying a foundation because the roof wasn't on it yet.

Let's celebrate the win and move on up. Demand more but understand that this is just the beginning.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Electric stoves kinda suck though when it comes to heat control.

I mean electric coil stoves sure, but not induction.
And "my stove's heat control kind of sucks, is like quintessential first world problems. It's perfectly fine and capable of serving you day to day (again not talking about induction which is exceptional).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but no legislation is the "end all be all", that isn't how any of this works. All legislation contains compromises and could be improved. Why should people not express how they feel about a bill that is now guaranteed to pass?

My point is be pragmatic, take the wins when you can get them and push for something better in the future. Complaining about what the bill lack's should be focused on what the next bill should build on or include or what have you. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia

View: https://twitter.com/BobShrum/status/1556361339412418560

View: https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1556386516087324673

I hope you guys appreciate what your president is doing. As a student of politics, what he has managed to squeeze out of an institutionally corrupt congress is absolutely astonishing. Just massive.

The climate stuff is just amazing. I literally said to a friend only 6 months ago "Don't ever expect the Americans to act on climate. Forget it". And then 6 months later, boom - 40% emissions reduction. How the fuck he managed to pull that off is unbelievable.

As an aside - Australia is about to pass it's own climate bill too - meaning the two biggest western laggards on climate change are now back on the train.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
My point is be pragmatic, take the wins when you can get them and push for something better in the future. Complaining about what the bill lack's should be focused on what the next bill should build on or include or what have you. Its a marathon, not a sprint.
I grew up in alabama so excuse me if I can do without your tut-tutting on pragmatism. Criticising legislation isn't "complaining" or suggesting we sprint through a marathon. If my critique was based on facts (it was) then you are basically tone policing and telling me to be quite while everyone else is celebrating. Ok that isn't how politics works so spare me the condescension when you sound misinformed.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Disproportionately? Have you checked my post history where I routinely shit on republicans or do you mean in this thread where no republicans voted for this bill?

I responded to you saying you criticize people you voted for. I'm assuming you do so because you want things to change. So does that mean Doug Jones? Does he get the blame for not winning his election? You didn't vote for Manchin or Sinema and I don't understand how any of what you said moves things towards your goal.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
True, but making electric hybrids very cheap (to the point where they'd cost maybe $10k for a sedan) is a good start. I drive one and need to fill up the gas tank maybe twice a year. I hardly ever use the gas engine as the electric has a 20 mile range and that's enough for the day to day. You get everyone in America in that sort of car and it'll seriously cut into our emissions.
Doesn't gas only have a shelf life of like 3-6 months? What you're describing sounds awesome, but knowing nothing about cars, wouldn't there be a concern about needing to replace the gas?

I hope you guys appreciate what your president is doing. As a student of politics, what he has managed to squeeze out of an institutionally corrupt congress is absolutely astonishing. Just massive.

The climate stuff is just amazing. I literally said to a friend only 6 months ago "Don't ever expect the Americans to act on climate. Forget it". And then 6 months later, boom - 40% emissions reduction. How the fuck he managed to pull that off is unbelievable.

As an aside - Australia is about to pass it's own climate bill too - meaning the two biggest western laggards on climate change are now back on the train.

With fucking 50-50 and the most obstructive and destructive opposition party in modern US history.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I think it's also important to remember that, not even a month ago, this bill was thought dead. Not just gutted. Dead. As in a few weeks ago Biden had stronger odds of beating Megan Thee Stallion in a twerk contest than getting this legislation on his desk to sign.

(You're welcome for that mental image, btw)

So the amount of wheeling and dealing it must have taken behind the scenes to turn Manchin (and Sinema) from a firm no, to openly championing the legislation while keeping the other 48 Democratic Senators on board is...well, I hope someday somebody writes a book about it, because I'd read it.

Politics is cumbersome. American politics especially.

Oct 31, 2017

Couple things to add:

1. The post office reform is also why nearly half of that fleet will be electric,
2. It's easier for the United States to ask other countries to push through climate legislation when we've done it now. Snowball effect.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oh, of course. Criticize folks if they get the facts and general gist of the legislation wrong (this is a good bill). But you don't need to throw out the thought-terminating cliche that the mere act of ignorance is "helping the Republicans." The Democrats help Republicans enough themselves before we get down to people on a small niche platform complaining it doesn't go far enough.
I mean I think actively attacking and degrading a universally good and important peice of legislation goes beyond merely being ignorant. I think it's incredibly counterproductive and damaging to the greater cause. I also don't particularly subscribe to the idea that what we do here doesn't matter.

But if I did imply that poster what activity trying to aid the GOP, that was unintentional. I certainly don't think that. I think they want more, and I think they should want more in the future. But, like I said, I think their approach is ill conceived.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I responded to you saying you criticize people you voted for. I'm assuming you do so because you want things to change. So does that mean Doug Jones? Does he get the blame for not winning his election? You didn't vote for Manchin or Sinema and I don't understand how any of what you said moves things towards your goal.
Stop being disingenuous. I supported Doug jones when he took the right positions and criticised him when he took a moderate stance. Why would I criticise Doug Jones for his electoral strategy when he only won against Roy Moore because Moore was a known pedophile. Anybody from alabama knows that Jones would have lost to any generic Republican in a state that went 80%+ for trump. I swear to god this shit is ultra bad faith we weren't even talking campaign strategy we are talking policy.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
More relevant than ever:

[...] This increased dismissal of relative gains as "all the same" was driven by the belief that falling short signals an eschewal of doing the bare minimum and lacking serious intent to change, making these gains seem less deserving of recognition. Critically, participants then "checked out": They underrewarded and underinvested in efforts toward "merely" incremental improvement. Finally, in all experiments, participants lumped together absolute failures but not absolute successes, highlighting a unique blindness to gradations of badness. When attempts to eradicate a problem fail, people might dismiss smaller but critical steps that were and can still be made.

Losing Sight of Piecemeal Progress: People Lump and Dismiss Improvement Efforts That Fall Short of Categorical Change—Despite Improving

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in alabama so excuse me if I can do without your tut-tutting on pragmatism. Criticising legislation isn't "complaining" or suggesting we sprint through a marathon. If my critique was based on facts (it was) then you are basically tone policing and telling me to be quite while everyone else is celebrating. Ok that isn't how politics works so spare me the condescension when you sound misinformed.

Maybe I worded things poorly but you basically took a very different meaning from my post than was intend. I'm saying its marathon, not a sprint. My point was that the pragmatism is about the fact that a vast amount of our government, easily half is infested with people willing to sell out their own family members to advance themselves and the people lining their pockets so you should take these wins when you can get them and work on making sure you can continue to get more. If you think that's tut tutting or tone policing I'm not sure what else to tell you, the political landscape in America is scary as fuck and has been for a while now. I'm still shocked this bill got through at all or wasn't cut down far more in the process.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
On the one hand, we probably shouldn't be fueling the conspiracy theorists who think Biden is the leader of a globalist child-eating cabal.

On the other hand, it is funny AF that they're so cheesed off that Dems have leaned into the dumbass "Brandon" thing to the extent that it will be embarrassing to chant it unironically in short order.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Voting Matters.

The record turnout in 2020 across the country led to this. Grats to everyone who voted.

Do it again in November and in 2024.

Don't get complacent. Vote in EVERY election.

Don't let Republicans move us backwards again.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Couple things to add:

1. The post office reform is also why nearly of that fleet will be electric,
2. It's easier for the United States to ask other countries to push through climate legislation when we've done it now. Snowball effect.

Absolutely correct. I can tell you this will have a huge impact in Australia - we just voted our conservatives out a few months ago. Albanese and the Labor party just got his climate bill through the lower house, over the objections of our conservative LNP.

One of the excuses the LNP made for over a decade was that "the big emitters aren't doing anything so what we do won't matter, so we shouldn't do more". With one stroke of a pen the passage of this US Bill will remove their oxygen.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't gas only have a shelf life of like 3-6 months? What you're describing sounds awesome, but knowing nothing about cars, wouldn't there be a concern about needing to replace the gas?

With fucking 50-50 and the most obstructive and destructive opposition party in modern US history.
It hasn't really been an issue to be honest. I go weeks and weeks without filling up.

Oct 25, 2017
If 90%+ of your driving in a plug-in hybrid with 30-40 miles all-electric range is on battery, it is a game changer.

Manufacturing electric vehicles with huge batteries allowing 300 miles of range generates significantly more carbon emissions upfront than manufacturing the equivalent gasoline vehicle, mostly due to production of batteries. Volvo estimated a 70% higher carbon footprint for producing their electric compact SUV than their gas model, and it takes years of driving to make up that deficit.

Ideally we should all be driving smaller EVs with smaller batteries but in the absence of that option, a hybrid with a small battery that's enough for daily use and great gas mileage is arguably better than an all-electric with a massive battery at least until battery tech and production becomes less carbon intensive.

If this credit was in place 3 months ago when we were shopping for a car I think we may have tried to go for PHEV, like the rav 4 prime, but any one we were interested in was still more than the CPO car we got.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
So, look at the Ford Fusion which is an electric battery EV. It's got an electric battery and motor and a traditional EV gas engine. Everything all fill up, you get an 800 mile range. The newest model costs about $23k, if I remember hearing from a friend right, so lop $7.5k off of that and we're looking at under $16k for a new car that you only need to fill up like 2-3 times a year.

I'm just pointing this out because why would you buy anything but an electric car? The Feds are literally paying a big chunk of the bill, depending on what you get it could be like buying used in terms of cost.

One of the biggest problems right now is the dealer markup which takes away from the credit. I hope the dealers don't try to mark up even more. Such a scummy move.

And I know it doesn't impact everyone but the income limits are something else to keep in mind. I am hoping to get a PHEV before the end of the year to take advantage of the existing credits.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Maybe I worded things poorly but you basically took a very different meaning from my post than was intend. I'm saying its marathon, not a sprint. My point was that the pragmatism is about the fact that a vast amount of our government, easily half is infested with people willing to sell out their own family members to advance themselves and the people lining their pockets so you should take these wins when you can get them and work on making sure you can continue to get more. If you think that's tut tutting or tone policing I'm not sure what else to tell you, the political landscape in America is scary as fuck and has been for a while now. I'm still shocked this bill got through at all or wasn't cut down far more in the process.
As someone who grew up in the Bible Belt who never voted Republican, how the hell do you think pragmatism/incrementalism is a new concept to me? Criticising a piece of legislation which is passed the senate isn't "not taking a win". It isn't up to me to accept or pass on a "win". It's up to me to push my elected officials to do the best they can because anything less is literally not lining up with the numbers scientists have published. I can barely believe I'm having a conversation like this on Era when we had a thread on this video last week:

View: https://youtu.be/wCo3XwTRg9o

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, we probably shouldn't be fueling the conspiracy theorists who think Biden is the leader of a globalist child-eating cabal.

On the other hand, it is funny AF that they're so cheesed off that Dems have leaned into the dumbass "Brandon" thing to the extent that it will be embarrassing to chant it unironically in short order.
As a former fat kid in school, sometimes the best way to beat a bully is to lean into the joke.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
If this credit was in place 3 months ago when we were shopping for a car I think we may have tried to go for PHEV, like the rav 4 prime, but any one we were interested in was still more than the CPO car we got.

Electricity cost per mile is still significantly cheaper than gas so that should be taken into account when making decisions based on price.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

You fools.

giphy.webp

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a link to a more exhaustive breakdown of what is included in the bill?

www.npr.org

Democrats passed a major climate, health and tax bill. Here's what's in it

On Friday, the House sent to President Biden's desk what Democrats call a historic piece of legislation, but it's still a much smaller version of what they — and Biden — originally called for.

www.forbes.com

The Tax Impact Of The Inflation Reduction Act

The Inflation Reduction Act is a significantly scaled back version of the proposed “Build Back Better Act” defeated in 2021. Many of the tax proposals in the Build Back Better Act didn’t make it into the new bill, but a few did. Here they are.

Also credits for home stuff (solar, heat pumps, sinulation) and taxes on buybacks

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But if I did imply that poster what activity trying to aid the GOP, that was unintentional. I certainly don't think that. I think they want more, and I think they should want more in the future. But, like I said, I think their approach is ill conceived.
I don't think their particular approach matters right now; the bill is going to pass whether they like it or not.

But I also get that victories breed complacency. I warned the night of Biden's victory that this is not a "back to normal," that there is plenty of work to be done to keep momentum going to not just achieve a normal but a "better", because conservatives simply refuse to fuck off forever, and subsequently most folks have failed to heed the advice and instead have just carried water for every single thing Biden has done, even the damn drone strike on the family bringing water home, while simultaneously blaming disaffected minorites and progressives for bad outcomes they have no control over, under the guise that not doing so is helping Republicans win. It's exhausting.

But in general, I get Clefargle's spirit. If you want abolition, you're not going to be satisfied that the chains are merely loosened, and you shouldn't be expected to be satisfied. You want the chains completely off.

Oct 25, 2017
Electricity cost per mile is still significantly cheaper than gas so that should be taken into account when making decisions based on price.

Yeah but it doesn't take into account my monthly payment. I don't like the fuzzy accounting of "well if you take X cost and factor it in then you're really more like Y cost. I'm looking at the actual total loan cost of the vehicle for at time of purchase.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think their particular approach matters right now; the bill is going to pass whether they like it or not.

But I also get that victories breed complacency. I warned the night of Biden's victory that this is not a "back to normal," that there is plenty of work to be done to keep momentum going to not just achieve a normal but a "better", because conservatives simply refuse to fuck off forever, and subsequently most folks have failed to heed the advice and instead have just carried water for every single thing Biden has done, even the damn drone strike on the family bringing water home, while simultaneously blaming disaffected minorites and progressives for bad outcomes they have no control over, under the guise that not doing so is helping Republicans win. It's exhausting.

But in general, I get Clefargle's spirit. If you want abolition, you're not going to be satisfied that the chains are merely loosened, and you shouldn't be expected to be satisfied. You want the chains completely off.
Appreciate you putting into words what I could not yesterday. I want those chains ripped off and will scream from the rooftops until it is done. (Even if I am an annoyance doing so)

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Heading into voting season, I hope Dems blast GOP for not voting for this bill. Make it poison for them just like GOP always are spreading fear about guns bans and shit.

I'm happy Dems and Biden got a win. Seems like Dems have been taking beating after beating with their "tight" control of the senate. (Due to Sinema and Manchin)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
www.npr.org

Democrats passed a major climate, health and tax bill. Here's what's in it

On Friday, the House sent to President Biden's desk what Democrats call a historic piece of legislation, but it's still a much smaller version of what they — and Biden — originally called for.

www.forbes.com

The Tax Impact Of The Inflation Reduction Act

The Inflation Reduction Act is a significantly scaled back version of the proposed “Build Back Better Act” defeated in 2021. Many of the tax proposals in the Build Back Better Act didn’t make it into the new bill, but a few did. Here they are.

Also credits for home stuff (solar, heat pumps, sinulation) and taxes on buybacks

Thanks. Seems like the bill is still being analyzed and there isn't a ton of info.