• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Biden if you wanted to make the govt work for families again you would've gotten this to pass with subsidized child care/elder care

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good "for dummies" type breakdown of this whole thing?

Sorry if I seem to be out of place but is there a general break down of what and when will things take affect?

Can someone here describe the fight climate change part?

Can someone summarize what's in the bill and put it in the OP?

Is there a good breakdown somewhere what all actually went through?

My post below has a pretty good summary of the what the climate portions of the bill mean. Hope this helps answer y'all's questions on it

For those asking about the bill here's a pretty good breakdown of what it means for climate action and why this is such a big win:

Source

Feel free to threadmark if you want

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I see things like medication and climate dollars, but is this tackling anything like gas prices, food prices, etc? I guess more to the point: am I going to notice any changes soon or is this more targeted at things like healthcare?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Biden if you wanted to make the govt work for families again you would've gotten this to pass with subsidized child care/elder care
It wouldn't have passed. That's the point. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Pass it, lock it in, and move on to the next thing.

People really need to understand that having one omnibus bill handle literally every issue is unrealistic and frankly impossible.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally bummed the EV credit starts next year since i JUST got mine last month. They should at very least include 2022. But glad it worked out.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
California
d11

I fucking love this lmao

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm still in awe of the sheer irony that the West Virginia senator clearly in the pockets of the coal industry, uh, authored arguably the most consequential climate and green energy legislation in history.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
never thought this would happen. with this on the heels of the surprise kansas vote, feels like there's a tiny bit of hope again

Oct 25, 2017
there are no credits for ebikes, joe manchin hates fun

also the 7500 dollar ev credit is capped on new sedans at 55k and new trucks/suvs at 80k. used EVs get the lesser number of 4k or 30% of the vehicle's sale price, unsure if there's a cap

Also it's based around income levels, 150K for single and 300K for joint

But it's not capping on production

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Personally bummed the EV credit starts next year since i JUST got mine last month. They should at very least include 2022. But the glad it worked out.
I just want to tell you how much I appreciate this attitude. While you're bummed you may not receive it, you're happy for those getting it going forward.

Much better than the "fuck you, didn't get mine so you shouldn't either" attitude.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Also it's based around income levels, 150K for single and 300K for joint

But it's not capping on production

wait I thought it was 75k single and 150k joint, did they increase it at some point?

as someone who, let's say, is a single person making between 75k and 150k, this is suddenly something I need to investigate very badly

e: no shit, you're right, this is a beautiful day

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in awe of the sheer irony that the West Virginia senator clearly in the pockets of the coal industry, uh, authored arguably the most consequential climate and green energy legislation in history.
Maybe those coal industry rich folks finally are going to start thinking of their grandchildren.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"Shadow army":

www.usajobs.gov

Criminal Investigator (Special Agent)

Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view <strong>Eligibilities</strong> being considered and other <strong>IMPORTANT</strong> information.<br> <br> For more information on each phase of the Special Agent assessment process, please visit the IRS Careers website at <a...

www.usajobs.gov

Internal Revenue Agent

Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view <strong>Eligibilities</strong> being considered and other <strong>IMPORTANT</strong> information.<br> <br> <strong>WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS?</strong> Visit us on the web at <a href="https://www.jobs.irs.gov/"...

www.usajobs.gov

Revenue Officer (12 MONTH REGISTER) 'AMENDED'

Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view <strong>Eligibilities</strong> being considered and other <strong>IMPORTANT</strong> information.<br> <br> <strong>WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS?</strong> Visit us on the web at <a href="https://www.jobs.irs.gov/"...

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
True, but making electric hybrids very cheap (to the point where they'd cost maybe $10k for a sedan) is a good start. I drive one and need to fill up the gas tank maybe twice a year. I hardly ever use the gas engine as the electric has a 20 mile range and that's enough for the day to day. You get everyone in America in that sort of car and it'll seriously cut into our emissions.
Holy shit, if they cost that little thats a game changer.

Edit: ah you said hybrid not fully electric. Still.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Something that's really hilarious to me is that this bill has only passed the Senate, but everyone is acting like the bill's already law.

...and that's because nobody is questioning Pelosi's ability to get her caucus in line. đŸ˜†

She's probably already sent every D in the House an edible arrangement and a card with a thinly veiled threat attached.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Listen, for bills that barely pass, with every vote counting, like this one and the ACA, you have to know that they absolutely pushed it as far as they could have. I can't fault Biden for anything here; it's a conservative country, and they did what they had the votes to do.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Something that's really hilarious to me is that this bill has only passed the Senate, but everyone is acting like the bill's already law.

...and that's because nobody is questioning Pelosi's ability to get her caucus in line. đŸ˜†

She's probably already sent every D in the House an edible arrangement and a card with a thinly veiled threat attached.
The Senate is like the final boss that comes first lol

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Glad to see some positive legislation. I know a lot of this is about the long term health of the country/world, but I'm just curious: will we see any sort of short term benefits from this bill while Biden is in office?

I ask because far too many people vote almost exclusively on money/economy and general hardlined R/D affiliations. Even if only 10% of the economic situation we have been in is Biden's fault, the perception of most people will be to blame him largely for it. So I'm curious if this would have any sort of positive effect in the economy or peoples personal perception of the economy before the next general election?

Sorry if this is a little off topic.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

That's a funny sentiment, but I think it's worth pointing out to people who try to shit on Democrats and yell both sides on Era that 95% of Democrats want what's best for the country in situations like these and vote for it. Two Senators have spent the last two years largely preventing them from having the chance.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see some positive legislation. I know a lot of this is about the long term health of the country/world, but I'm just curious: will we see any sort of short term benefits from this bill while Biden is in office?

I ask because far too many people vote almost exclusively on money/economy and general hardlined R/D affiliations. Even if only 10% of the economic situation we have been in is Biden's fault, the perception of most people will be to blame him largely for it. So I'm curious if this would have any sort of positive effect in the economy or peoples personal perception of the economy before the next general election?

Sorry if this is a little off topic.

This is a good question, don't apologize

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

It's because Pelosi has been an incredibly effective and capable minority leader and Speaker for over a decade, no matter how much conservatives and ill-informed members of the left say otherwise.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
"Shadow army":

www.usajobs.gov

Criminal Investigator (Special Agent)

Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view <strong>Eligibilities</strong> being considered and other <strong>IMPORTANT</strong> information.<br> <br> For more information on each phase of the Special Agent assessment process, please visit the IRS Careers website at <a...

www.usajobs.gov

Internal Revenue Agent

www.usajobs.gov

Revenue Officer (12 MONTH REGISTER) 'AMENDED'

I want to enlist in the shadow army

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
there are no credits for ebikes, joe manchin hates fun

also the 7500 dollar ev credit is capped on new sedans at 55k and new trucks/suvs at 80k. used EVs get the lesser number of 4k or 30% of the vehicle's sale price, unsure if there's a cap

ebike credit would be incredible but I would never realistically expect that to happen. Hatred for bikes in all shapes and form is one of those things you can get bipartisan agreements on.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Just hope we can keep this up, glad Manchin and Sinema are actually participating in their party's big legislation now.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I'll give them a single clap and a yawn for accomplishing literally something and that's about all I can muster for this weak-ass half measure

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Fight climate change sure, but I can't see this have a positive effect on current inflation.

One of the largest drivers of inflation is corporate stock buy backs. The new tax on these buybacks will raise revenue and make these buybacks less profitable and therefore less attractive. Additionally, the huge investment in EV will reduce many people's reliance on gasoline, the prices of which are another large driver of inflation.

It's not a cure-all, but there's a lot of stuff in here that picks at inflation drivers while accomplishing other significant goals.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, if they cost that little thats a game changer.

Edit: ah you said hybrid not fully electric. Still.
I mean, it's a 7.5k credit for electric vehicles (under certain conditions). Electric cars, plug-in hybrids, and fuel cell EVs. Depending on what you're going for, that's a big discount.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
I just can't imagine being an everyday normal person being against this. Fucking gop voters are the dumbest motherfuckers ever. They are like a pile of barely sentient rocks that do whatever their rich masters say. Like, fuck the future as long as poc suffer. Makes me so mad.

Good on the democrats though. Glad they are at least trying to save the future and help the people.