• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
What kind of amendments were made? Is there transparency somewhere on what is in the bill? Anywhere that shows a summary of money, etc?
You can read the full text if you want: https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/inflation_reduction_act_of_2022.pdf
I thought I read people like Bernie Sanders saying this bill will do little to nothing in regards to inflation. What impact are we expecting from this?
It'll have an impact on inflation (not a huge one, and it will take time). The real benefits are for the climate (which is transformative) and healthcare costs and subsidies (which are huge).

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
One of the most important bills ever passed. Billions to stem the drought crisis in the southwest and major steps toward positive climate change initiatives.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Did we lose anything major overnight?

Nope. Some minor changes to 15% minimum tax rate but the decrease in the revenue from that was more than made-up with another payfor.

EDIT: Insulin caps for private insurance took a hit due to the parliamentarian.

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
My insulin is bought off the marketplace, will this bill help me? I see it doesn't cap for every possible plan, like private plans and Medicare, but which ones does it help

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
The IRS is gonna kick down your door now, middle america!

or something like that. they seem hyper focused on irs funding.
Luckily, the #1 reason why the IRS never seems to get the biggest tax dodgers (i.e. corporations and the rich) is because they are *dramatically* underfunded.

More funding for them will actually help the middle class, not hurt.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Schumer voted against the insulin amendment?
Yes because he's the president of the senate and that means he can't bring it back if he votes for it and it loses. We saw Mitch do the same thing multiple times when he was in-charge, voting against things he wanted but knew would lose so he could bring them back up. Hell, Harry Reid did the same thing as well. It's a procedural thing.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome to see the Dems actually getting stuff done. I will say I don't like the name and framing… I get it politically but I think it's a risk given it's a total unknown what will happen with inflation before the midterms. But I guess they had to go with something.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because he's the president of the senate and that means he can't bring it back if he votes for it and it loses. We saw Mitch do the same thing multiple times when he was in-charge, voting against things he wanted but knew would lose so he could bring them back up.
I think this probably needs to be said more because most people are just looking at the vote like "WTF is Schumer doing".

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because he's the president of the senate and that means he can't bring it back if he votes for it and it loses. We saw Mitch do the same thing multiple times when he was in-charge, voting against things he wanted but knew would lose so he could bring them back up. Hell, Harry Reid did the same thing as well. It's a procedural thing.
Ah right, I always forget about that nonsense. Thanks!

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Very happy to see this.
FZZeGYhWYAE88RA

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Was pretty wild to see this recently emerge as a likely thing, and I'm glad fuckery didn't happen at the finish line to blow it all up.

Why was this so divisive?

Do you know much about American politics? The Republican party is the party of non-governance, misinformation, and fear. Its officials in Congress reflect this and they are vile and petty people. They fucking hate Democrats, are hoping for a power shift in the November midterms, and view Biden passing anything to help people as a threat to that. All that Republicans care about is money and power—any of them that voted out of lockstep with the party would have been majorly punished by both the party and their constituents, anyways. They are backwards-thinking cowards that would gladly welcome fascism rolling over the country if it meant that they could hold on to power in perpetuity.

Also, keep in mind that Democrats have the slimmest possible majority that they can have in the Senate. It's not even technically a majority, it's a tie, but is functionally one since the Vice President has the power to decide a tie vote. The Republicans would want to maximize their chances to get a bill to fail in the Senate by universally rejecting it.

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that reconciliation even has to exist. Shouldn't need a 2/3rds majority to do basic functions.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Live Updates: Senate Passes Climate and Tax Bill After Marathon Debate

Despite all Republicans being opposed, the vote was a major victory for President Biden and Democrats. The bill now goes to the House, where it is expected to pass by the end of the week.
WASHINGTON — The Senate passed legislation on Sunday that would make the most significant federal investment in history to counter climate change and lower the cost of prescription drugs, as Democrats banded together to push through major pieces of President Biden's domestic agenda over unified Republican opposition.
The measure, large elements of which appeared dead just weeks ago amid Democratic divisions, would inject nearly $400 billion into climate and energy programs. Altogether, the bill could allow the United States to cut greenhouse gas emissions about 40 percent below 2005 levels by the end of the decade.
It would achieve Democrats' longstanding goal of slashing prescription drug costs by allowing Medicare for the first time to negotiate the prices of medicines directly and capping the amount that recipients pay out of pocket for drugs each year at $2,000. The measure also would extend larger premium subsidies for health coverage for low- and middle-income people under the Affordable Care Act for three years.
And it would be paid for by substantial tax increases, mostly on large corporations, including establishing a 15 percent corporate minimum tax and imposing a new tax on company stock buybacks.
--------------------
As part of its landmark climate and energy initiative, which would put the Biden administration within reach of its aim to cut emissions roughly in half by 2030, the bill would offer tax incentives to steer consumers to electric vehicles and lure electric utilities toward renewable energy sources like wind or solar power. It also includes millions of dollars in climate resiliency funding for tribal governments and Native Hawaiians, as well as $60 billion to help disadvantaged areas that are disproportionately affected by climate change.
--------------------
But the final package contained a series of proposals that Democrats have labored for decades to push through. If enacted, it would be the most significant climate law ever put in place in the United States, investing hundreds of billions of dollars over 10 years in tax credits for manufacturing facilities for things like electric vehicles, wind turbines and solar panels, and $30 billion for additional production tax credits to accelerate domestic manufacturing of solar panels, wind turbines, batteries and critical minerals processing. It would also impose a fee to penalize excessive emissions of methane, a greenhouse gas.
The legislation would allow Medicare to negotiate the cost of up to 10 prescription drugs initially, beginning in 2026, and give seniors access to free vaccines. Coupled with a three-year extension of expanded health care subsidies first approved last year as part of the $1.9 trillion pandemic aid law, the package amounts to the largest change to national health policy since the passage of the Affordable Care Act.
To finance much of the plan, the measure would institute a new 15 percent corporate minimum tax that would apply to the profits that companies report on their financial statements to shareholders, known as book income. It would impose a new 1 percent tax on corporate stock buybacks beginning in 2023. The measure also would pour $80 billion into the I.R.S. to bulk up the agency's enforcement arm and crack down on wealthy corporations and tax evaders. That provision is estimated to raise $124 billion over a decade.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Jesus those Dark Brandon memes scare the shit out of me.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope this thread can make it past the first page before people start shitting all over the bill. This is a good bill.
Its a...start. But it's a drop in the bucket as far as climate change is concerned. Let's be real. $370b over ten years is miniscule, incremental change. Compare it to budget of Pentagon, which easily gets $800b of taxpayer money every fucking year into the pockets of defense industry.

Now if we can find a way to provision $370b every year in a reconciliation bill, then that will be the first real dent we can achieve on climate change front.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Its a...start. But it's a drop in the bucket as far as climate change is concerned. Let's be real. $370b over ten years is miniscule, incremental change. Compare it to budget of Pentagon, which easily gets $800b of taxpayer money every fucking year into the pockets of defense industry.

Now if we can find a way to provision $370b every year in a reconciliation bill, then that will be the first real dent we can achieve on climate change front.
True, but making electric hybrids very cheap (to the point where they'd cost maybe $10k for a sedan) is a good start. I drive one and need to fill up the gas tank maybe twice a year. I hardly ever use the gas engine as the electric has a 20 mile range and that's enough for the day to day. You get everyone in America in that sort of car and it'll seriously cut into our emissions.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah. Dark Brandon is stepping it into high gear and I think this is a fantastic bill that accomplishes a ton. Well done, Democrats.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good breakdown somewhere what all actually went through?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
This and they don't want to give the Democrats a "win". Even though the "win" affects people of all political Persuasions. Are they gonna come out and be pro-inflation now?

No, they will probably say that it's a big liberal spending bill which does little to help reduce inflation. And that will satisfy the Republican base.

It does seem like it won't do much to address inflation short-term, but possibly will a bit farther out, so we can only hope that it will kick in before 2024 where it could be a big election issue if prices are still high.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
A lot to gripe about, a lot of questionable decisions in some regards, but it's a big deal.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

The climate piece of the bill doesn't begin and end with the $370b. That money will set off years of state, local, and especially private sector investments in climate action. Remember that the last decade's worth of climate investments started with just $90b in the Recovery Act.

This bill alone will reduce carbon emissions by 40% over the next eight years. Coupled with the additional state and private-sector activity the bill will kick off, plus executive actions Biden can take, this bill is a massive step forward on climate. It's way more than just "a…start"

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

It's the single biggest investment in climate change in world history.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
lol

allll those IRS are gonna be looking hard at lower income people the most

where you get that 600 dollars you fucking piece of shit!

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
A remarkable achievement, especially in an election year with only 50 Senators. I don't think anyone other than Biden could have pulled this off.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Also, keep in mind that Democrats have the slimmest possible majority that they can have in the Senate. It's not even technically a majority, it's a tie, but is functionally one since the Vice President has the power to decide a tie vote. The Republicans would want to maximize their chances to get a bill to fail in the Senate by universally rejecting it.
TECHNICALLY, it's not even a tie- there are 50 Republican Senators, 48 Democratic Senators, and 2 Independent Senators- Bernie Sanders and Angus King. Both Sanders and King chose to Caucus with the Democratic Senators, so that's how we get the 50-50 split!