• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
The first console to introduce arcade perfect versions of SF3, Third Strike, and MvC 1/2. CPS3 at home was a pipe dream till the Dreamcast came out.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
My brother had gotten a Saturn, and felt pretty burned by it, so we had no intention of getting a Dreamcast. But the marketing and hype were too great to resist. I remember a lot of comments saying the couldn't distinguish NFL2K from real football. I ate it up, and eventually was preorder #157 at Software Etc.

My first pre-order as well. EB opened early on 9-9-99 so I picked it up before work, but had to go back at lunch since one of the games hadn't come in yet.

I didn't have my drivers license yet, so I had to wait for my Dad to get off work before I was able to go to the store and get it. I was so hyped, but had kinda planned poorly in that I didn't even really know what games I was going to get for it other than Sonic. A friend at school that day mentioned Soul Caliber, I didn't even know what it was and got it alongside Sonic.

I remember playing all night, just blown away by the graphics and fast gameplay.

I'm not sure if I've ever gone as hard as I did buying games, as with the Dreamcast. So many great titles.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I actually re-purchased a Dreamcast on Saturday. Going to GDEMU it.

A lot of classic Dreamcast games have found their place on other consoles over the years but it still holds a special place for me.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
So many great games, so many memories... I can't think of a period where I played as many games as I did on DC in those 2-3 years. I miss the Dreamcast arcade, wacky game style. And of course playing online. But mainly I miss PSO.

So much time spent on Sega IRC...

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
I love the Dreamcast it's my favorite console. There hasn't been a console that made me as excited as when I saw a Japanese import one in a local games store running Sonic Adventure. I got one on release day and I'm still playing on it regularly.

It's library of games is amazing. For me it's one of last consoles that had creative and qwirky games.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the Dreamcast. Still do, in fact.

Launch day was great, as by the end of the day I'd gone back to the store numerous times and had amassed every single launch title. The most memorable moment was when I was playing NFL2K and my dad walked in. He legit thought a football game was in.

I was actually the editor-in-chief for Dreamcast.net. I knew days before it was announced that they were killing the system.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Twenty years ago, huh? How time flies by. The Dreamcast is without a doubt, one of my favorite consoles of all time. It was my first console launch as well. It had so many great and plainly fun games. I didn't had a PC because I was poor at the time, but the console was my access to the web. I remember those browser sounds by heart. That official Sega IRC server was really fun, too.

Thank you, Sega.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful thread, Krejlooc. My Mom got me a Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur on launch day. It was the first Sega console I ever owned and I was not expecting it. Not on launch day anyways. It turned into one of the greatest systems ever. I'm still in awe of Sega output for such a short period of time...Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia etc.

Unfortunately I traded the console in for a 360 back in the day. One of my goals is to buy a DC and rebuild my old collection.

9/9/99 was a glorious day. I feel blessed to have even experienced it.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hell yeah. My first ever launch console, I was so hyped on September 9. Over the course of the first month I got Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur (with green goblin arcade stick) Power Stone and MvC1. So many good memories. Hard to believe looking back how short lived it all was.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the console landscape would look like today if the Dreamcast didn't fail. It's crazy how the PS2 just steamrolled over it. It was clearly a confirmation ahead of its time, though. I wish I got the chance to play PSO back then, everyone who talks about it calls it an experience. But I'm happy Sega is still giving us games. And I'll definitely check out PSO2 when it finally comes to the West.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

tenor.gif

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Some of the most fun fighting games ever made have still never been re-released on home console.

characters.jpg

Surely someday Capcom will realize their folly? Right?

Oct 30, 2017
Last console I was EXTREMELY hyped for. Also happened to come out when I was 13 and had just moved to a new town. I was such a geek that I wore my Dreamcast T-shirt to school on 9/9/99.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday! I loved this console. Had soul calibur and sonic adventure on launch day. Got a free Dreamcast shirt for getting the console, and still have it along with the console and box it came in to this day.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I can't believe it's been 20 years. Picked it up on launch day with sonic and soul calibur. Fall of my senior year in college. First thing that blew my mind about it, but as taking it out of the box and Ewing how small it was and it's weight. It felt powerful just by holding it. 2nd thing that blew me away was booting up soul calibur. To say it wasn't a game changer back then would be wrong. It was the first time a home port crushed an arcade game visually and it wasn't even close.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
My brother bought it at launch with Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. I had been reading stuff about Adventure for months prior, and I specifically had combed through EGM's preview of the game for every detail I could find.

It was a school day so I remember seeing it in the morning hooked up and then going to school knowing it would be the longest day of waiting.

Friggz

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite gaming moment was playing skies of arcadia with my brother in out basement and beating the entire game in more or less one sitting. We were both sick and im pretty sure suffering from seizures but at the same time completely blown away at what we were playing and how magnificent it was.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
My first pre-order as well. EB opened early on 9-9-99 so I picked it up before work, but had to go back at lunch since one of the games hadn't come in yet.

Got together with friends that night to play and my wife and I made cupcakes with the orange swirl on top. Awesome day.
EB Games opened early at my mall as well, I hung out there while waiting for KB Toys to open, watching demo footage and getting hyped. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget playing the Sonic Adventure demo in Toys R Us and being blown away because it looked far better than anything the N64 or PS1 could hope to achieve

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is such a cool write-up, OP. Had no idea about the transparency details or literally anything mentioned in the punching above it's weight section. Cool Stuff.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about a Dreamcast game that I can't recall the name for.

Quirky Japanese driving (not racing) game that had some elements of action. It was you and a companion in the car. I remember two females whom I believe to be either police officers or some government officials. There were other levels where you played as two dudes who were either low-rank criminals or members of the Yakuza. One person drove and the other person manned a rocket launcher, or a machine gun.

The levels were linear, there were boss battles, and I remember some shortcuts hidden throughout the level. I think if you left the game at the startup screen long enough a gameplay demo started up, playing thru a bit of one of the first levels (as the two females) and it shows them going thru a glass building shortcut type of thing. It was part of a series and there maaaaaaaaaaaaaay have been a sequel for the OG Xbox.Any of y'all know what I'm talking about?

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
I had a surprise party for my birthday on 9/9/99 and I still remember it as one of the best days of my childhood. I remember my family separately giving me a controller, Sonic Adventure, and a Dreamcast shirt, telling me that the actual console was sold out everywhere, and if I was lucky maybe we'd get one in a few weeks. A few minutes later they gave me the actual console and I can't remember ever being happier. It's easily my favorite console of all time.

I now own two and was looking into GDEMU thanks to the recent Giant Bomb stream, is waiting for those to go on sale my best option for disc-reader replacement?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My best Dreamcast memory was spending months looking for a copy of MvC2...and finally finding it :')

The christmas immediately following getting my Dreamcast, like a day or so before Christmas eve, my mom was out shopping for a gift for my grandpa, and she came home and was like "Hey, I got you a surprise" and tossed me a brand new copy of Marvel vs Capcom. I have no idea how she knew I wanted that game, my mom knows nothing about video games, and it's not like I read comics or anything. it was a completely and total shock. But I played the shit out of Marvel vs Capcom in the arcades with my dad, so I gobbled it up.

Then on Christmas I got NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC and Dead or Alive 2. Maaaaaan what a christmas. By christmas day, I had Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, NFL 2K in addition to the above. Like having a damn arcade in my bedroom.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazingly Transparent
People who don't do graphics programming probably aren't aware, but transparencies, even to this day, are an incredibly difficult problem to solve. Graphics programming tends to be done in "layers" and composited onto a final output, like photoshop, and thus the order you send your graphics affects the transparencies. Because things happen in layers, even on modern hardware, transparencies usually work in a top-down-approach. You need to order the polygons you send, so you send the transparent polygons last, so they can accurately blend with what's below them. This creates big problems when polygons are half behind one object and half behind another. The Sega Saturn infamously had numerous caveats about how it handled transparencies:

Even to this day, no console before or after, or indeed even PC hardware, handles transparencies as easily as the Dreamcast. To this very day, the Dreamcast has unique "special sauce" inside regarding how it handles transparencies (which I'll get into later). To simplify for right now, the dreamcast doesn't need to order polygons. No matter what order you send your polygons, they will appear transparent correctly. Send your top most transparent polygon first, behind every other opaque polygon, and it'll still behave just fine. Polygon ordering on the dreamcast really doesn't matter. On top of that, the dreamcast has PER PIXEL out of order transparency. Even if just one single pixel of your polygon is above another, that pixel will be handled correctly. It's an amazing feature. Hands down the best system ever at transparencies.

I'm surprised that none of the graphics hardware since then has a solution for transparencies. What's the reason that no one else has order independent transparencies built in?

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
It was the last console for which I was an avid fanboy. Rented it and Sonic Adventure before launch, bought one at launch, and played it obsessively for the next couple years. The Official Dreamcast Magazine is still my favorite console mag, and back in the day I'd look forward to its release. Those demo discs were great!

Hard to narrow down my favorites to five, but...

Soulcalibur
Chu Chu Rocket
Jet Set Radio
Shenmue
PSO

Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, Grandia 2, Sonic Adventure, so many more...

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that none of the graphics hardware since then has a solution for transparencies. What's the reason that no one else has order independent transparencies built in?

nothing else has used tile-based deferred rasterization.

Although, with the recent RTX series of GPUs from Nvidia, you can now finally do this kind of stuff in hardware.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Official Dreamcast Magazine is still my favorite console mag, and back in the day I'd look forward to its release.

When you preordered the Dreamcast at EB Games, it came with Issue 0 of ODCM. I subscribed through the offer in issue 0, and ODCM is the only magazine which I have every single issue of.

Lunoir

Aug 31, 2019
Massachusetts
It's wild to look back and think about how much the Dreamcast shaped my adult tastes. Weirdly enough though, I never played PSO until it came to gamecube, at which point it became one of my favorite games of all time. Had that Big Dreamcast Energy, I guess.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Let's not forget that Dreamcast had the real Resident Evil 3

resident-evil-code-veronica-featured3.jpg

Such a great game imo, Shame it goes underappreciated

Dec 20, 2017
I remember chomping at the bits for 9/9/99. I was heading into my sophomore year of high school, with classes starting the week before launch. It was the longest summer of my entire life. I spent every single day on dial up looking up any new information I could on IGN, Gamespot(Videogames.com back then?), Segaweb (anyone remember that?) and whatever else was out there at the time. I re-read the September EGM that came out in August over and over again until it was a tattered mess -- still have it somewhere.

Then launch day came and I got a faulty print of Sonic Adventure. Still haven't quite forgiven Sega for that one.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Found the magazine I was talking about earlier and man, considering the date those Sonic Adventure screens are still so goddamn impressive. There's one section that has SEGA Rally 2 alongside some screens of Gran Turismo 2 and it looks like 2 generations apart.

Is this just a case or does it include the actual PS4 disc?

Because I'm kind of surprised Sony would be cool with this.
The game also comes out with a regular PS4 box.