• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Personally I am mixed about review bombing.

On one hand there are some incredibly unethical practices that are just bad. (and personally it gives me a example to go "here is why we shouldn't scrape someone's entire computer")
On the other hand, sometimes its for reasons that aren't bad in my opinion. Like clothed women. And they can't be removed.

Basiclaly when it's complaints I consider valid and useful I'm happy but when it's complaints that aren't I'm sad.

WTF? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm reading the bolded wrong.

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Review bombing is not always to get the developper/game publisher attention.
It can and it is also used to get the community attention because some people are attention whore and who read a 4-5-6-7 score reviews ?
People only read the 10 or 0 reviews.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think I'm seeing an assumption here that all review bombers are also sexist, racists. I don't think that's the case just that sexist, racists are also using review bombing because it's a very vocal/public tactic that they seem to thrive on. I don't think the act of review bombing Fallout 76 somehow makes them an incel or something. It's like because far right groups have protest rallies suddenly all protests rallies are connected to the far right.

I've only review bombed once. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I was annoyed when they updated the game they removed tracks where licensing had expired and deleted my saves. Yea I was pissed, in my mind if licensing was a problem they should have removed those tracks from future sales but removing aspects of a 15 year old game alone seemed like a precedent I didn't want to support.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I'm failing to see what is more "legitimate" than the store front of the publisher you bought the game from. In fact your whole argument falls flat considering how this backlash occurred years later after the initial purchase. People didn't have a choice to buy or not buy. The game was already bought. Your sheer disdain for consumers is gross and presumptive of peoples intentions.

Taking aside this one example, which is no way indicative of the the general trend, nor have I had the time to look into it, I'm making a general point.

If this was an isolated example of customers reacting to a change years later, that's not a big issue. However, the topic of the thread is review bombing in general. All the examples from the original article are a lot more indicative of what I'm talking about.

And once again, it feels like my point gets tossed to the wayside. There are a lot of genuine channels to express dissatisfaction that have both the eyes of both the press and developers.

Review bombing is very rarely originating from a sincere place. It almost never can be because the act itself is insincere. A 0 review of a game is based purely around an attempt to drag the average score down and influence other users. Therefore it is wildly open to malpractice. It loses it's legitimacy because it is an act of manipulation, although I am not trying to say label things legitimate or not, just laying out my issues with this trend.

And again I would argue that it contributes further to the negative atmosphere around gaming (disagree with me if you want on this, it doesn't really matter).

One example does not disprove my point and once again, there are plenty other avenues for complaint beyond decimating a review score.

Nov 14, 2017
His reasons for review bombing FO76 seem reasonable. He's right that FO76 released in an unacceptable state, and even the critic reviews mostly agree. The 5.2MC isn't that far off a zero really; the average score for most games is about a 7 and anything below 5 is generally considered to be completely fucked and not worth anyone buying.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
People who take time to review bomb anything, movies, games, anything at all...are pathetic. I pity them. Just because a game didn't live up to your expectations doesn't mean it is the same for every person considering purchasing that game. Sometimes people have fond memories with some of the worst games in existence. Sometimes people enjoy bad movies, or find a different meaning in them. To think "Oh I know, I'll save this poor soul who might buy X game the time because they'll see this stream of 0/10 reviews" is just as I said, pathetic.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I feel review bombing is justified when it is an act of desperation when people feel there are no other ways to have their voice heard or acknowledged. Industries have gotten very good at stonewalling people's protests and gaming companies can be quite sleazy. I don't think it's unfair to have at least one way of making them feel the consequences.

Misuse of that platform is concerning, of course, but I can't help but see review bombing as a symptom of a larger malaise.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Let's be honest," he begins. "If this didn't have the Fallout title on it, nobody would pay $60 for it. It's only because it's related to Fallout and [developer/publisher] Bethesda that some people even play it. Those of you who do are supporting terrible games, and you should be ashamed of yourselves. You are making the video game industry what it is today."

Lmao, get a life.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
For every half decent use of review bombing(FFX DRM for example), there's a dozen examples of it being used for some awful alt right nonsense, or by Chinese gamers against anything perceived to be anti China, etc.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
For every half decent use of review bombing(FFX DRM for example), there's a dozen examples of it being used for some awful alt right nonsense, or by Chinese gamers against anything perceived to be anti China, etc.

I don't think the relative number of abuses to legitimate uses are anywhere near what you say but I agree with the fact that to make this system of feedback have value, its abuses have to curtailed. Fortunately, that's what Valve is doing - with the disadvantage of having shut out DRM complaints in the process.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I see publishers and conglomerates increasingly clamping down on consumer voices - and the people championing the idea of user reviews going away are going to regret what they wished for when it does happen.
No sane person is calling for a clamp down on consumer voices. Like no sane person should agree with review bombing. All review bombing does is show pubs, devs, etc that particular channel is just noise and can be ignored.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
No sane person is calling for a clamp down on consumer voices. Like no sane person should agree with review bombing. All review bombing does is show pubs, devs, etc that particular channel is just noise and can be ignored.
They can't be ignored if it impacts the appearance and visibility of their game like it can on Steam.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
First you look to reviewers for a truthful assessment. Then you find out these guys are more about clicks and deals with publishers than truth, so you drop them. Critic aggregates are just aggregates of corruption.

Then you look to user aggregates. Surely those are closer to the truth. Then you hear about review bombing. So yeah user aggregates are not a source of truth either.

How about user comments? Then you have the internet factor and you just don't know who is talking it what their motives are. Too many times I have bought a game that forum posters were just gushing over as the greatest thing, only to be completely let down.

In the end the only factors I really consider now are my own eyes watching videos and developer track record. The internet ruined everything else.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

except, they didn't - Square Enix already rolled back the DRM

Nobody seems to have a working "fix" for user reviews - they're either opting in, or they're abandoning them entirely.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
How did the Metro 2033 review bombing go?
I don't know, I didn't follow that controversy very closely, tbh. I'm assuming not well because the game still sits on "Mostly Positive" (as it should) and obviously I wouldn't say that bombing was justified. I guess you could say I'm "for" review-bombing as much as someone can be for a double-edged sword. I think something should be done to curb toxic bombings, but that we still need the sword to some extent. Steam's recent alteration could be productive in that way, but as Swenhir mentioned its exclusion of DRM as relevant is severely disadvantageous.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
because they're immature children who like to think they are making a difference or some whiteknight bullcrap they tell themselves.

they listen to a youtuber who doesn't like a game and collectively like a dumb cult they review-bomb a game for the pettiest of reasons without even playing the game - or they will for 20 mins, refund the game on steam just so they can rate it.

pathetic, seriously. go comb your hair, do something else.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the freedom to review and I appreciate that they can be used as a way to warn others of a changes made to a game that harm the overall experience.

Does it get abused sometimes? Sure. But the positives far outweigh the few and far between negatives. On top of that I'm dead against the alternative which is having no voice. Or as some would love, paid influencers who would undoubtedly push anything for an easy buck.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
I think most people get that, but the problem is that is not the only time that review bombs happen. These days review bombing happens for the most ridiculous and petty reasons for the most part so it makes it really hard to take genuine negative feedback seriously at times.
ِAbsolutely agree, that's a VERY valid point and a huge flaw on the tool, sometimes it works, others it pretty messed up.

Not buying it is still the most effective way to send a signal.

What review bombing is, is a more visible signal, it doesn't mean it's more effective. Just because something grabs headlines and creates a small following does not mean it is effective.

What it is in fact (and I argued this earlier in this thread) is entitled. Making a big noise because a company is doing something the person leaving a review doesn't want them to do. Or more often, the industry is moving in a way they don't want.

I'm not sure why you think that companies stopped paying attention to their income long ago? The balance sheet is still king for anyone trying to sell a game for profit.
I don't, but given how things are right now, I don't see 'Not Buying' a game helping that much, cause you are still not voicing your opinion on why you didn't buy it, was it the mechanics ?, the different direction it took ?, the exclusivity deal ?, or maybe the franchise is not longer relevant at all.

Still Review-Bombing also includes boycotting the game, unless someone would buy it and not refund it afterwards.

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
I have always thought I'd much prefer, as a consumer looking at a product I'm not already sure about, just a simple thumbs up/down with a list of category rating selections would be more helpful. 1-5 selections for "Look", "stability", "Sound" "business model" and the like. I never really read what Bob from Idaho had to say in his 6 sentences, I just see if the user reviews are bad so then I'll go google the game for videos or an article from somewhere I would trust.

User reviews as a platform to strike back always seemed like a silly thing. In my head those reviews are in the same boat with bad Yelp reviews from soccer moms that give awful reviews for an entire restaurant because the waitress wasn't bringing her water often enough. "This company is doing this awful thing!" ok, but whats the game like? That's what I care about.

Popelady

Growth Manager at Splash Damage
Verified
Mar 11, 2019
WTF? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm reading the bolded wrong.

I was meaning like: There have been review bombs for games because of sexist/homophobic reasons (like there have been games review bombed because the reviewers are sexist. an example that comes to mind would be the Avengers/ghostbuster movies, which often have been review bombed for the female-led movies.

Another example of bad review-bombing: Firewatch was review-bombed because they refused to let pewdiepie stream their game because he used racial slurs.
Another example of bad review-bombing: Total war being review-bombed because it had female generals.

I don't think these games should have been review-bombed.

(sorry, i wasn't clear, does this make more sense? )

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
While it can absolutely be done for the wrong reasons, public outrage, shaming, and other things to try and hurt an entities reputation can feel like the only thing that will get to them, a lot of the time. Voting with you wallet or signing petitions online doesn't seem to have that reach. This is true for a lot of things, not just games.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't consider leaving a 0 on a game you played and didn't like "review bombing". User reviews in general have always trended towards extremes on the scale. Review bombing is when people who haven't experienced something write reviews for it, brigade like-minded communities to write reviews, and use bots to spam more reviews. It's a tool used by a few people to misrepresent the opinions of the majority.

A perfect example of this is the Captain Marvel Rotten Tomatoes shit. The movie immediately was spammed by low scores when user reviews opened despite having decent audience reception by all other metrics (Box office retention, theater surveys, etc), and eventually the user score went up as actual reviews by people who watched the movie kept coming in. Does this mean that audiences first hated Captain Marvel and then started liking it? No.

Last edited:

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
I dunno, even if most of the reviews are just angry rambling, there's usually still enough context to determine what everyone's upset about.

Besides, even if all it does is inspire a token response from the publisher, that's still more than most forms of feedback. You already know negative posts on Resetera won't even get you that much.

I get that. I still think that constructive criticism + voting with your wallet is better than keeping on buying the same shit every time and shitposting on a review site.

If people could just detach themselves from this hobby sometimes, realize that some things change, and that it´s not always the change you want and move on to the stuff that you actually will like.

Like, personally I think almost all AAA-games are hot trash. Completely devoid of anything fun or interesting. I´ve never bought a single piece of DLC in my life, because I think that almost all DLC is cookie-cutter, lying-on-the-cutting-room-floor, boring leftovers. If I had to review-bomb all this, I´d be sitting here all day shitposting on metacritic. And for what? I don´t gain anything out of it. Nothing is changing as people are buying it in bulk. Nah, I move on and support the stuff that matters to me. It´s fine to discuss what you like and dislike about games, but review-bombing and the more extreme version of it like harrassment and likes, just feel like a temper tantrum from people.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
ِAbsolutely agree, that's a VERY valid point and a huge flaw on the tool, sometimes it works, others it pretty messed up.

I don't, but given how things are right now, I don't see 'Not Buying' a game helping that much, cause you are still not voicing your opinion on why you didn't buy it, was it the mechanics ?, the different direction it took ?, the exclusivity deal ?, or maybe the franchise is not longer relevant at all.

Still Review-Bombing also includes boycotting the game, unless someone would buy it and not refund it afterwards.

Again, I would say that both developers and press do absolutely look at online message boards. Reddit, ERA, Twitter. All of these can be effective. You could even send an mail directly to the company in question.

That avoids getting involved in this shady nonsense. My problem with review bombing is that, for a lot of these examples, the games are often just poor or mediocre (subjectively), there is no crime they are committing. These are entirely subjective value judgments and the hardcore few shouldn't be trying to make choices for everyone else.

So by skewing the review scores, you're attempting to deny someone else of a potentially positive experience. Plenty of people seem to be having a decent time with Fallout 76 for example. I personally have enjoyed Anthem. etc.

A lot of review bombing is based on some mis-guided "I'm doing this for the betterment of all games" and that feeds back into the negative atmosphere I keep banging on about. The few times it has found success not could easily have had the same result using other forms of communication. There's also very little proof that the review bombing resulted in the eventual result. Correlation doe not equal causation.

There is self importance baked into the "hardcore gamer" that only serves to perpetuate a lot of tired bullshit like review bombing but I'll not spend ages boring you with my personal thesis.

Mar 29, 2018
"Years ago when a developer and a publisher put out a video game, they had a lot of soul. There seemed to be a lot of new ideas," he says. "The video game industry [was] about entertainment. But it seems like nowadays, games are more of a business idea than anything else … [Developers] don't even finish the game before releasing it, and then they make promises that they're going to finish it, make it better and do whatever they can to [appease] their customers."

And that's a nope from me

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Top 10 Switch games of 2019 on Metacritic. Negative internet trolls are negative.
4JG323H.png

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Didn't know you could give a zero. Depending on company practices this could be a good way to get your point across when developers don't read forums or don't take it seriously. FFX is a good example (this was on Steam, however, and you need to own the game). On the other hand, giving F76 a solid 3 out of 10, which is what it actually deserves in my opinion, should be statement enough; or that 50 something metascore for Anthem. This is telling enough for BioWare something went horribly wrong. No need to kick under the waistline when they down anyways.

Then again, review aggregators are always hit and miss. I can't take Rotten Tomatoes seriously anymore after Gravity got 96% and Interstellar somewhere around 80. You will always find a discrepancy between critics, user reviews and your own opinion.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense that these guys then review bomb finished games that have a soul, and just happen to have female characters/nonwhite characters/LGBTQ characters.
Trying to put all of them into one pot is stupid. Different people reviewbomb for different reasons, big shocker

Are you seriously defending this shit? Really?

Not all 0 star reviews are dishonest? Thats the hill you wanna die on? And you also wanna insult people along the way? lol
Why? Because people are petty assholes.
lol

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
User reviews are mostly trash in my opinion. But they should exist, review bombing actually works sometimes.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
What's the diffence between giving a game you love a 10 and giving a game you hate a 0? Both should be equally hard to obtain imho.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone actually take User reviews seriously? I don't trust your average person to write an actual useful review in the slightest.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Again, I would say that both developers and press do absolutely look at online message boards. Reddit, ERA, Twitter. All of these can be effective. You could even send an mail directly to the company in question.

That avoids getting involved in this shady nonsense. My problem with review bombing is that, for a lot of these examples, the games are often just poor or mediocre (subjectively), there is no crime they are committing. These are entirely subjective value judgments and the hardcore few shouldn't be trying to make choices for everyone else.

So by skewing the review scores, you're attempting to deny someone else of a potentially positive experience. Plenty of people seem to be having a decent time with Fallout 76 for example. I personally have enjoyed Anthem. etc.

A lot of review bombing is based on some mis-guided "I'm doing this for the betterment of all games" and that feeds back into the negative atmosphere I keep banging on about. The few times it has found success not could easily have had the same result using other forms of communication. There's also very little proof that the review bombing resulted in the eventual result. Correlation doe not equal causation.

There is self importance baked into the "hardcore gamer" that only serves to perpetuate a lot of tired bullshit like review bombing but I'll not spend ages boring you with my personal thesis.
Well put. Also I personally see review bombing as an attempt of manipulation and misguiding of other consumers. The idea isn't to review the game, the idea is to use other people as a tool to retaliate against the publisher or the dev for something you don't find acceptable. So I do think it's pretty ironic when it's done against "anticonsumer" practises.

And yeah, you're absolutely correct that correlation does not equal causation. But for some reason, people really strongly seem to believe it does. Atleast when it comes to review bombing. I think it was the SteamSpy guy who said that atleast for older games, review bombing haven't had any notable result in their sales. Hence review bombers haven't got their wanted results there. For new games it's much trickier to gauge of course, so I don't know about that.

Especially nowadays with social media, consumers have so many different means and venues to get their voice through and message heard. But I often see two claims when it comes to this, "only review bombing works" and "calm and constructive feedback isn't effective". I believe both are bullshit and just an excuse for petulant hissy fits too many gamers are known of. Or I guess since this reaches movies too, I'll say geek/nerd and online culture is known of.
Does anyone actually take User reviews seriously? I don't trust your average person to write an actual useful review in the slightest.
In Steam I somewhat do, as there you usually atleast own the game when reviewing it. And it also shows the time played for the reviewer. But review bombing definitely hurts Steam user reviews for me as a consumer tool. Luckily Valve has been implementing ways for me to get around it, but that shouldn't be needed. It adds inconvenience for me as a consumer. But basically any other user score and review like at Metacritic, I really don't give a shit about. And it's of course more vulnerable for review bombings too. In Steam it's useful also because mainstream press straight up ignores so many PC games, even really great ones. So there aren't really other reviews available than user reviews. I guess there are some "influencers" but also they mainly focus on mainstream, AAA, console exclusives etc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
People need to understand that user reviews are largely consumer reviews and not critical ones. Someone giving a 0 doesn't mean that every aspect of the game is the worst thing ever created, it's just that the game wasn't worth their money at all due to it just not being remotely enjoyable for them, or maybe not working at all.

Yes there are people who just want to dunk on a game unfairly and get everyone to give a 0 review. It's why user reviews should be separate from critic reviews. If someone sees a low user score, it should give a person pause and have them read the reviews to get a sense of why it is so low. If they see a bunch of simple 'THIS SUCKS' stuff, it can be ignored for other user reviews that seem valid, and/or critic reviews.

And having user reviews for something not even released yet is just stupid. Unless you want to invite controversy to promote your product. Marketing is weird.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will agree with him that giving a zero star is much more of a statement then just a average review, how effective that is is probably not much especially when most of the time its just fanboy nonsense

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I was meaning like: There have been review bombs for games because of sexist/homophobic reasons (like there have been games review bombed because the reviewers are sexist. an example that comes to mind would be the Avengers/ghostbuster movies, which often have been review bombed for the female-led movies.

Another example of bad review-bombing: Firewatch was review-bombed because they refused to let pewdiepie stream their game because he used racial slurs.
Another example of bad review-bombing: Total war being review-bombed because it had female generals.

I don't think these games should have been review-bombed.

(sorry, i wasn't clear, does this make more sense? )

Yep, much clearer. Thank you and agreed.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt

First of all, I enjoy a good discussion, you are not boring me, but forgive my late replays.

I didn't say they don't look at social media, but it can be easily ignored, cause all of it is just talk with no effect.

Again, I am not defending 'Review Bombing' in its current stance, but I can see how effective it is as a tool, the only one with a visible effect to the user. Yet on the other hand I don't think it is denying anyone anything, especially with filter buttons and the ability to detect review bombs quite easily, we are now defending the ignorance of some people, that they don't search or look around before making their purchase. There are plenty of professional reviews on yoututbe/websites, people just need to look. Also most review bombs are useless, you won't find anything to read, and those who write the reason of their review bombing detail their issues and problems, so again one can read the different reviews and focus on those criticizing the game for its mechanics, story telling, AI, .....etc