• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/mar/25/review-bombing-zero-star-reviews

Michael is a Metacritic user: a 25-year-old Canadian student, gamer, and former oil and gas worker who caught my eye with a blindingly acidic review of last year's disappointing postapocalyptic video game, Fallout 76.

"Let's be honest," he begins. "If this didn't have the Fallout title on it, nobody would pay $60 for it. It's only because it's related to Fallout and [developer/publisher] Bethesda that some people even play it. Those of you who do are supporting terrible games, and you should be ashamed of yourselves. You are making the video game industry what it is today."
Michael's Metacritic user review history is largely negative. It's hundreds of reviewers such as Michael who are responsible for the disparity between Fallout 76's "official" Metacritic average and its user score. It took 43 professional critics to hobble Fallout 76 with a tepid 5.2. Michael and 5,037 other users halved that number with a barrage of zeroes.

It's easy to write off review bombers as entitled and bratty, and a 0/10 score comes across as so petulant it is hard to take seriously. But the way Michael describes it, the zero-star review isn't "score" at all; it's more of a category unto itself. Ten is great. One is abysmal. But zero is, in Michael's view, a direct line to the creators and distributors of the game that says: "This is unacceptable."

"I don't usually leave reviews unless I really don't like a product," Michael tells me over Skype. "I don't leave good reviews, unless [something] really left an impact on me. If you asked all the other people who left a zero-star review, they'd probably say the same thing. They're trying to get their voices heard. They're trying to tell these corporations that this is not OK. It's one thing to say, 'If you don't like it, don't talk about it'… But by doing that you're really telling these corporations they can make lower and lower quality products and that's fine."

Michael attributes this particularly vicious knee-jerk to his and other players' dissatisfaction with the way video games have been changing, under pressure to make more money to offset the rising cost of making them. "Years ago when a developer and a publisher put out a video game, they had a lot of soul. There seemed to be a lot of new ideas," he says. "The video game industry [was] about entertainment. But it seems like nowadays, games are more of a business idea than anything else … [Developers] don't even finish the game before releasing it, and then they make promises that they're going to finish it, make it better and do whatever they can to [appease] their customers."

"A game like Fallout 76 doesn't really deserve a zero-star review," he says. "But how else are you going to get your voice out? Metacritic and [PC games storefront] Steam are two perfect platforms. They don't censor people – people are allowed to say whatever they want.
"The [other] reason that I'm more likely to leave a zero than a 10 is the fact that I don't want to see people waste their money," he says. "Leaving a zero-star review tells people, even if you like this series, or if you like this style of game, don't buy it – your money is better spent on something else."
It's hard not to feel there's something unsporting in openly gaming a review aggregator's system to manufacture a disastrous score. But the reality may be that online review aggregators are the only places where dissatisfied fans feel impossible to ignore, where the aggrieved can fight back against marketing that can saturate the media with less-than-honest trailers, screenshots and interviews.

There may not be anything especially gallant about thousands of people angrily trashing other people's work, but a chain of red zeroes are warnings that something about it – whether a genuine quality problem, a social justice grievance, or another controversy – has left a die-hard contingent of fans badly wanting.

I think this is an interesting article. I don't leave 0/10 reviews, but that's mainly down to only buying games I'm sure I'll enjoy, and the chances are if a game is getting review bombed it's probably not going to be great or something I'm likely to want to play

It makes me wonder if Micheal actually played the game, or if review bombing is done regardless of that to try and get the message out to developers and publishers that they're unhappy with a game

Give my thread a 0/10 if old

Update: The subject of the article replies:

Hi everyone. I'm the fella who was interviewed in the article mentioned by the OP. I must say, I'm surprised there's been this much discussion on the topic. I was a little hesitant to post here, however I feel like the topic is turning a little toxic and believe I can provide some context for the reason I agreed to be interviewed.

For years I've felt as if video game developing has been kind of culled (if you will). It's seemed as if over the years quality seems to be going lower and lower on the priority list, and money-making (yes I know how important this is) is making it's way near the top of the priority list. Whereas in the past, it seemed as if money-making was secondary to making a product which was meant to entertain.

It's true, some of my response was emotional. Who isn't driven by emotion? I feel as if video game development companies can do better. I'm not happy with the culture it's derived. I'm not happy with every game I play having microtransactions. I understand it's purpose, and I never give in and buy unless the game is free and deserves support. I'm not against games like Path of Exile which use microtransactions for in-game bonuses such as larger stashes. That game cost me zero to initially play, and has provided me with much entertainment. So I feel obligated to purchase something they offer to support that game.

In the case of Fallout 76 - the game that the article was written around – I felt as if the game was inherently broken. I spent nearly three days after purchasing it on Bathesda's website trying to get the game to even start. It installed perfectly, but I was stuck with CTD's that had no explanation. Then, finally after trying so hard to get the game going, I reinstalled my copy of Windows and tried the game again after a fresh installation, and it worked. I was very excited to play it as I have followed the series for years. After the first hour I had to walk away. It felt like an empty shell. Kind of like a template to an even larger game. It felt as if I was playing the demo of something greater. It was bad enough that there was no NPCs to talk to, but even worse I ran into quests I couldn't complete and random CTD's that caused me to have to reconnect and start a quest over from scratch.

I could go into more detail, but the point is I was not happy. I vented my frustration as many others did. That's our right as consumers. Thankfully, we have platforms that allow us to do this. Let me emphasize that I'm not sexist or racist, nor do I feel entitled or as if I'm owed something. I payed money for a product for the sole purpose of providing entertainment. That product failed to deliver said entertainment, and I was denied a refund, so I felt as if I was ripped off. I was able to receive a refund at a later date, so at this point I'm at peace with that situation.

During the interview with Rich, I explained to him my philosophy on the subject. I explained that my purpose for writing zero-star reviews (with many other products as well) was solely to stir enough attention to the issue of quality in video games, that developers were forced to at least take a step back and look at the product they are creating. It was not meant as a spiteful act to kill sales (as if negative reviews actually make that much of a difference) or to discount anyone else's value on the product. Yes, you could say "that's not true! You clearly said 'if you support games like this you are the reason the video game industry is the way it is today'" and I would agree. That was emotional (as one person here has said).

However, I do feel as if the new generations of gamers have less and less of a standard of quality. Don't get me wrong, there are some series of games being released – such as The Witcher – that deserve plenty of praise, but, there are equally as many games being released that are clearly thrown together, that did not have any hard work put into them, and were created only to be monetized. That's the reason I'm mad – that's the reason I give zero-star reviews.

I hope to keep this conversation rolling. This isn't something that consumes my life (I do have lots of assignments to get done and finals to prepare for), but I'm hoping to make people aware that they don't have to bend over and be okay with companies like EA and Bethesda releasing low quality entertainment products. We are consumers of these products, and like many here are saying, we can decide with our wallets who succeeds and who doesn't.

Last edited:

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that quite obvious? I don't think a lot of review bombers couldn't find one single redeemable factor in a game they've scored with a zero. The more people review bomb a game, the less attractive it is for other people to buy said game, the more likely the publisher will try to find out why the sales didn't meet to their expectations, the more likely (at least hopefully) the publisher learns from said mistake, and in the future publishes a game that doesn't have said mistakes.

It's literally the whole reason of review bombing.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People are more likely to leave feedback if its negative, and the internet works on a binary scale where any one thing is either 'the best thing ever' or 'a piece of shit', so its no real surprise why review-bombing is a thing. No reason to make it sound deeper or more meaningful than it is.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"The [other] reason that I'm more likely to leave a zero than a 10 is the fact that I don't want to see people waste their money," he says. "Leaving a zero-star review tells people, even if you like this series, or if you like this style of game, don't buy it – your money is better spent on something else."

You're allowed to be positive sometimes. I get people "review bombing" for egregious things, especially later in the life of a game, but the focus on negativity is too much sometimes. This isn't so much for Steam or Metacritic reviews but there is this corny organized mentality around things like youtube dislikes sometimes. "guys we almost made this trailer the most disliked in history! we can do it everyone, come on!!"

Anyway said this in another thread we had but I'd like "review bombing" better if there were more data available as to why something was suddenly being review bombed. Specific phrases or whatever plucked from Steam reviews to more easily tell people at a glance what the issue was.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If a zero star review is thought out and relatively eloquent there is no issue with them. The problem is the zero star reviews that say nothing more than "Fuck EA" or even worse the douchebags review bombing things like Star Wars Ep 9 before it's even released.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Review bombing is a stupid practice, because all it does is take weight away from the legit impressions, possibly even casting a shadow over professional reviews.

"See? This game had 4.0 user rating but 8.3 with critics, it's proof critics are shills!"

There's many ways you can make your voice heard. You can, first of all, not buy a game if you don't support it. If you bought the game and was unsatisfied, you can try getting a refund or resell it where possible. You can make your discomfort heard in official forums, gaming communities. You can stream the game on YouTube, Twitch, talk about it, show yourself what's wrong it if you have it. You can use social media to share "evidence" (yours or others') that the game is a turd or that it's got a horrible background.

But reviews (user and professional ones alike) are a tool. A tool to determine what's the average people thinking of said product, and I'd like to go in with the assumption that we're only talking about those who actually tried it, not those who just heard it's bad and decided to pile on it. If a product gets review-bombed by people who would have never tried it anyway, it loses meaning. Sure, you're damaging the brand, the company, the developers - maybe it's what you want to do, and it's understandable in some circumstance. Not that it's the CEOs who get fired if the game flops, but we've been over that many times. But why ruin such a useful tool? If I want to know the latest controversy on a game like Fallout, I just go to YouTube. I'd like if user reviews were instead left for the people who actually tried the game a fair amount and actually know how the game plays. If it's still a turd, so be it. But fuck off with the petty review-bombing, there's far better ways to make your voice heard without shitting on an actual useful tool.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would never even bother to hit a product with a zero star review, i'd be worried if I did one that it could start a spiral of more.

THis is a good point that it's a message to the publisher, the issue is that tons of them are just system wars fan boys.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Years ago when a developer and a publisher put out a video game, they had a lot of soul. There seemed to be a lot of new ideas," he says. "The video game industry [was] about entertainment. But it seems like nowadays, games are more of a business idea than anything else … [Developers] don't even finish the game before releasing it, and then they make promises that they're going to finish it, make it better and do whatever they can to [appease] their customers.

Makes sense that these guys then review bomb finished games that have a soul, and just happen to have female characters/nonwhite characters/LGBTQ characters.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would never even bother to hit a product with a zero star review, i'd be worried if I did one that it could start a spiral of more.

THis is a good point that it's a message to the publisher, the issue is that tons of them are just system wars fan boys.

I would imagine most publishers are aware their game isn't great or is built around shitty practices before launch, it's not like they need those 0 star reviews to suddenly realise that

I suppose it depends on what extent review bombing hurts the sales of a game, which is always going to be hard to tell

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I see publishers and conglomerates increasingly clamping down on consumer voices - and the people championing the idea of user reviews going away are going to regret what they wished for when it does happen.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I see publishers and conglomerates increasingly clamping down on consumer voices - and the people championing the idea of user reviews going away are going to regret what they wished for when it does happen.
The consumer voice has been lost under the white noise din of the constant complainers and bellyachers that have ruined it for the rest of us.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that quite obvious? I don't think a lot of review bombers couldn't find one single redeemable factor in a game they've scored with a zero. The more people review bomb a game, the less attractive it is for other people to buy said game, the more likely the publisher will try to find out why the sales didn't meet to their expectations, the more likely (at least hopefully) the publisher learns from said mistake, and in the future publishes a game that doesn't have said mistakes.

It's literally the whole reason of review bombing.

Unfortunately, the publishers often seem determined to see what they want to see, so they'll blame the failure on something else entirely.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's all comes down to opinions. I would never trust the review of someone who prefers Single Player cinematic experiences to understand what I want from a GaaS multiplayer cooperative game. (Destiny/Division)

I grew up on 80's and 90's hip hop, you wouldn't want me reviewing today's music I would say it is trash.

Just like you wouldn't want me reviewing heavy metal music in the 90's. I could appreciate it for what it is but I would never give it the score someone who loves that genre deserves.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's just the current state of user reviews that is a horrible mess. Hyped products get hailed as the best thing ever made, hated products (which is often the result of things unrelated to the actual quality of the game) get shat on into oblivion. There's barely any leeway, with the only in-between options is some games fading into obscurity with only a bunch of reviews. If sites like Metacritic or Steam want to have any credibility with user reviews, they gotta enforce tying your account to said reviews, with an in-game check that indicates whether you at least reached a certain part of the game. So no, idling on the menu for 3 hours doesn't make you an expert, but maybe reaching level 10 in an RPG, finishing the first 3 levels of a linear campaign or get through the first 2-3 areas in an open world does. I have 0 interest in reading "reviews" by people who only watched their favourite angry youtuber shittalk about the game. I gladly read impressions by people who put in an hour or two at least and want to share what's wrong and what's right.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The issue is the use of the tool. Pissing on a game because it's not what you want, or it's made by THE OTHER TEAM OH NOES and giving it 0 is fundamentally petty, bullshit, kid behaviour and should GTFO (ditto exalting a game as the greatest thing ever without some fucking good argument, please).

If it's because the game is cynical, unfinished, etc, then maybe that's more appropriate. But good luck having one without the other, and good luck having that logic consistently applied. Petty idiots will be petty idiots.

Nov 8, 2017
I wouldn't do it often, but I would not hesitate to give zero to a game that has a simple design flaw or omission that makes the game unplayable.

Beyond Good and Evil is a good example. It has no option to invert Y-axis of the camera. Without this option, the game is worthless to me, so it gets a zero.

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody is championing user reviews going away in their entirety. Just legitimizing them. Valve has historically done very little to combat this issue, regardless of what its apologists believe. If they were actually interested in helping consumers they would offer to report what issues the game has, then collect some of the person's hardware/software data and compile a list to try and determine what possibly could be causing the issue, then issue a warning to others who attempt to try and make a purchase with matching/similar hardware. They don't do that though, because that'd require work. And why would they need to when they can invest the minimum amount of work and get praised for it as "champions of consumer rights".

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
User reviews are for the most part to reactionary to be of any use. Everything is either 10/10 BEST GAME EVER or 0/10 FUCKIN SUCKS MATE! I don't think they have ever helped me in my decision to buy a game or not.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't do it often, but I would not hesitate to give zero to a game that has a simple design flaw or omission that makes the game unplayable.

Beyond Good and Evil is a good example. It has no option to invert Y-axis of the camera. Without this option, the game is worthless to me, so it gets a zero.

And this is a reason why a lot of people still look at professional reviews instead of the user reviews. You give the absolute minimum score to a game you have not properly tried, because you're not interested in trying to get used to a specific missing feature. Seems like the same as those 0s given to the latest Call Of Duty because it has no single player campaign.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
No redeeming factors....how the fuck were you tricked into buying that.
You should probably review your purchasing habits and hope the brain starts purchasing with some thought.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No redeeming factors....how the fuck were you tricked into buying that.
You should probably review your purchasing habits and hope the brain starts purchasing with some thought.

To be fair, most review bombers don't even buy the product, so no harm for them in any way.

But if indeed you bought a game because you legit thought it was going to be amazing, spent 70 of your hard earned Euros on it, then it turns out you hate the controls, you hate the graphics, you hate the story, you hate the gameplay loop, you hate the artistic design, you hate the music, you hate the variety, you hate everything and it deserves 0 because it has no redeeming qualities at all... I mean, yeah, next time look into what you're buying instead of, say, trashing a Need For Speed game for not being a gritty war game like you wanted it to be.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
User reviews are for the most part to reactionary to be of any use. Everything is either 10/10 BEST GAME EVER or 0/10 FUCKIN SUCKS MATE! I don't think they have ever helped me in my decision to buy a game or not.

I think a lot of people use reviews to try and influence the meta to where they think it should be, as opposed to just giving their opinion

They might think a game is a 7/10, but if the meta is saying it's a 9/10 , then they can give it a 0 to try and swing the overall score closer to 7

I think it's why we see so many 0/10 and 10/10 scores, it's just a fight to move a game into the "correct" meta score

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
It's just the current state of user reviews that is a horrible mess. Hyped products get hailed as the best thing ever made, hated products (which is often the result of things unrelated to the actual quality of the game) get shat on into oblivion. There's barely any leeway, with the only in-between options is some games fading into obscurity with only a bunch of reviews. If sites like Metacritic or Steam want to have any credibility with user reviews, they gotta enforce tying your account to said reviews, with an in-game check that indicates whether you at least reached a certain part of the game. So no, idling on the menu for 3 hours doesn't make you an expert, but maybe reaching level 10 in an RPG, finishing the first 3 levels of a linear campaign or get through the first 2-3 areas in an open world does. I have 0 interest in reading "reviews" by people who only watched their favourite angry youtuber shittalk about the game. I gladly read impressions by people who put in an hour or two at least and want to share what's wrong and what's right.

So you want to lock out all the people from writing reviews for whom the game isn't even playable?

Batman: Arkham Knight.
100% positive user reviews out of 9 reviews total

Nov 8, 2017
And this is a reason why a lot of people still look at professional reviews instead of the user reviews. You give the absolute minimum score to a game you have not properly tried, because you're not interested in trying to get used to a specific missing feature. Seems like the same as those 0s given to the latest Call Of Duty because it has no single player campaign.
Please don't give me that crap about trying to "get used to it" unless you'd be prepared to play an entire 2D Mario game with left and right reversed and "get used to it".

And if a game developer omits such simple and essential features as camera inversion options, they deserve all the zeroes they get. Doubly so if the game has been out for months already and they haven't bothered to patch the option in with an update (as was the case when I bought the game on PS3), despite being made well aware of the issue.

This is not similar to your Call of Duty example at all.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

So if you play a terrible product, you'll have to choose between asking for a refund or warning others about your experience? I'm open to ideas, its just that I haven't heard one that doesnt have some sort of caveat

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
0/10 reviews are disrespectful rubbish and can't be justified unless you're a troll. Maybe go create something yourself, then have an army of trolls who've never touched the product and never will bombard it with shitposts and slander. Then you might have a wider understanding of how to engage in a proper dialog/ feedback/ critique cycle with creators and their content.

I'm not saying Fallout 76 is some kind of secret gem. Never played it and never will since it's not my thing (which also means I'd never assign a numerical score to it). The worst a game can rate if riddled with faults and if it's the purest form of Steam Greenlight garbage is a "1". That's how ratings work and that's plenty of "communication over one's dissatisfaction" without completely obliterating the concept of numerical scores. (Personally, I like scoreless reviews, but that's another matter.) We're saying FO76 is somehow worse than those Steam games? Objectively and with common sense?

Popelady

Growth Manager at Splash Damage
Verified
Mar 11, 2019
Personally I am mixed about review bombing.

On one hand there are some incredibly unethical practices that are just bad. (and personally it gives me a example to go "here is why we shouldn't scrape someone's entire computer")
On the other hand, sometimes its for reasons that aren't bad in my opinion. Like clothed women. And they can't be removed.

Basiclaly when it's complaints I consider valid and useful I'm happy but when it's complaints that aren't I'm sad.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If 0 stars is there by design then it can and should be used when whoever rates whatever.
Some petty assholes haven't figured out this simple concept yet.

Are you seriously defending this shit? Really?

Not all 0 star reviews are dishonest? Thats the hill you wanna die on? And you also wanna insult people along the way? lol

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't give me that crap about trying to "get used to it" unless you'd be prepared to play an entire 2D Mario game with left and right reversed and "get used to it".

And if a game developer omits such simple and essential features as camera inversion options, they deserve all the zeroes they get. Doubly so if the game has been out for months already and they haven't bothered to patch the option in with an update (as was the case when I bought the game on PS3), despite being made well aware of the issue.

This is not similar to your Call of Duty example at all.

You have every right to point out a crucial flaw of the game, but I don't think that's what reviews are for. I expect a review to talk about the general experience, touch upon most aspects of the game. If you didn't go past the first room, I say you shouldn't review it. Get your voice heard on boards like these, contact the devs, boycott the game - there's ways, but reviews, imho, should be left to people who effectively played the game. All I'm saying.

A better example would be Alien Isolation for Xbox One. I played it once. It had an input lag of almost a full second. I don't know if it was fixed in time or if it runs better on X or other platforms. I didn't want to get used to that kind of input lag so I turned off the game like 2 minutes after I got control of the main character. But I wouldn't review the game, because I saw and did jackshit. I gladly point out in these forums and elsewhere that the input lag is (was?) unbearable to me. But I don't review it because I didn't see anything worthy of a review yet.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
It all comes down to having criteria and not letting your feelings write the review down, try to be a little objective. For me, there are the same number of games that deserve a 0, as those that deserve a 10.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
You have every right to point out a crucial flaw of the game, but I don't think that's what reviews are for. I expect a review to talk about the general experience, touch upon most aspects of the game. If you didn't go past the first room, I say you shouldn't review it. Get your voice heard on boards like these, contact the devs, boycott the game - there's ways, but reviews, imho, should be left to people who effectively played the game. All I'm saying.

A better example would be Alien Isolation for Xbox One. I played it once. It had an input lag of almost a full second. I don't know if it was fixed in time or if it runs better on X or other platforms. I didn't want to get used to that kind of input lag so I turned off the game like 2 minutes after I got control of the main character. But I wouldn't review the game, because I saw and did jackshit. I gladly point out in these forums and elsewhere that the input lag is (was?) unbearable to me. But I don't review it because I didn't see anything worthy of a review yet.

If you see a lot of user reviews pointing that out though, you would already know about it before buying the game.

Somehow most of "Era" was onboard with giving Battlefront 2 0/10 for their ridiculous lootbox shenanigans to "show the dev/pub we do not want that."

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Can we talk about that guy/s that recently review bombed every Shin Megami Tensei and most Persona games? What the hell happened there? These games had 8-9s scores up until last year.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
People hand out 10/10's to undeserving games all the time. That's a problem to me as well. I think a 4/10 is more disrespectful than a 0/10. It says "your game looks pretty but the rest is garbage"

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow most of "Era" was onboard with giving Battlefront 2 0/10 for their ridiculous lootbox shenanigans to "show the dev/pub we do not want that."

I wasn't, so there's that. Or, to be more exact, I have nothing against somebody buying Battlefront 2, hopping online, only to get mauled by players owning better gear they paid for and then giving it a negative rating therefore. The people giving it those scores without playing it were never in the right imho.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
People hand out 10/10's to undeserving games all the time. That's a problem to me as well. I think a 4/10 is more disrespectful than a 0/10. It says "your game looks pretty but the rest is garbage"

Yeah but the 10/10's are not nearly as abused as the 0/10's. Nobody "review bombs" a game or product with a 5 star or 10 rating. Its almost always petty assholes who are butthurt for some stupid reason or another that end up spamming the 0 ratings on games/movies/products. Captain Marvel and Black Panther are prime example of this behavior in movies. Battlefield V is a prime example of this as well because it dared to put women in the game.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I wasn't, so there's that. Or, to be more exact, I have nothing against somebody buying Battlefront 2, hopping online, only to get mauled by players owning better gear they paid for and then giving it a negative rating therefore. The people giving it those scores without playing it were never in the right imho.

I am not saying whether it is good or not. Just that the general opinion on Era in the Battlefront 2 debacle was "In that case it's okay".

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
This guy is the very definition of entitled gamer. His response is terrible and exactly what I always feared it would be if anyone managed to interview them

"If this didn't have the Fallout title on it, nobody would pay $60 for it. It's only because it's related to Fallout and [developer/publisher] Bethesda that some people even play it. Those of you who do are supporting terrible games, and you should be ashamed of yourselves. You are making the video game industry what it is today."

This person, is not just angry that one game is poor (in their opinion) they are angry about the entire games industry and are doing what little they can to bring other people round to their way of thinking. They are more than willing to ruin a games sales and deny other people genuine experiences for "the greater good".

This is so fucking entitled. This isn't hyperbole, they are admitting to gaming the system in an attempt to mold their hobby the way they want it.

Now, the larger question is, why do they feel like this? This person thinks the game industry is in a terrible state, it has in fact never been healthier (if you ignore the issue of mass layoffs but I'm willing to bet this is not what this interviewee is raging about). They are so many games, available on so many platforms, all of which are healthy. It is entirely possible to never pay full price for your games and actually buy many at huge discounts.

This person has fallen into the same trap as any easily provoked right leaning reactionary. They read negative headlines and make no value judgement on the wider perspective.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not saying whether it is good or not. Just that the general opinion on Era in the Battlefront 2 debacle was "In that case it's okay".

Well, I am not the general opinion of Era, and to be fair I'm not particularly bothered by what is that exactly. My opinion remains that review bombing a game you haven't played is stupid and petty. There's a lot of content out there I'd probably hate, so I just... don't buy it. Movies I would probably hate so... I don't go out and spend money to see them. Music albums that probably would bore me or annoy me two songs in, so... I just avoid them. I don't pre-emptively give 'em bad ratings because they's probably bad.

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I know this probably not possible. But I think if u buy a game physical/digital a serial number need to be applied before u can review the game. Or atleast separate reviews from verified & non verified. If I were devs I would love this system

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's easy to write off review bombers as entitled and bratty, and a 0/10 score comes across as so petulant it is hard to take seriously. But the way Michael describes it, the zero-star review isn't "score" at all; it's more of a category unto itself. Ten is great. One is abysmal. But zero is, in Michael's view, a direct line to the creators and distributors of the game that says: "This is unacceptable."

I'm rolling my eyes so hard at this needing an article to trumpet these unseen heroes of gaming, unafraid of letting their dissatisfaction for gaming heard.

There are too many disingenuous ways that gaming user reviews have been used across the internet and across all type of media, so much so that I barely ever find them useful for honest appraisals from users beyond a general gist of consensus on things that aren't going to be skewed by other shit outside of the quality of the actual thing (such as some Amazon reviews or most product views in general, with some exceptions).

A 0 tells me that you think your opinion is more important than others, yet you aren't even spending the time engaging with the system in a thoughtful way. You are putting the lowest score you can and ranting. It's an emotional reaction and little more, and that's why people think you are being petulant and bratty. You aren't a hero of consumers, you are attempting to override thoughtful criticism by trying yell the loudest you can and the fact that ratings allow people to engage it in such a way just tends to discredit everyone's voice that tries to use them as intended.

Sure, If there is a poor user rating a game developer or director may take that criticism to heart, but when it's coming from irrational people making death threats and attacking people personally for being responsible for making a thing they don't like, it's not criticism you'll want to take to heart, it's more like whining you want to ignore.

I get how it can make people feel helpless when "voting with your wallet" doesn't send a strong enough of a message, but there is nothing that says a low score is wrong. I just think a well thought out low score is more effective than a 0 any day.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Btw. this review-bomb for FFX/X-2 where Square-Enix added Always Online DRM to the game:

2019-03-27_130225.jpg

lead to that being dropped:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/359870/announcements/detail/1717468247152498700

Oct 27, 2017
Btw. this review-bomb for FFX/X-2 where Square-Enix added Always Online DRM to the game:

2019-03-27_130225.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/games/359870/announcements/detail/1717468247152498700

That i don't consider a review bomb. If you have a game advertised as working offline, and then after a patch suddenly you can't play it offline anymore that's scummy and must be underlined with negative user reviews.

Good thing is that at least we know 100% it was not intended, but a bug.

Oct 31, 2017

2019-03-27_130225.jpg

And yet you'll keep hearing arguments that complaining doesn't work or serves any purpose, to "grow up" and bend over every single time.

Now, to be clear, I never bothered leaving one single negative review for a game personally (mostly because I only review what I play and I rarely make a purchase without being confident something will be up to my taste) and admittedly there's a bunch of review bombings that have been made over trivial and petty reasons, but to act all smug and pretend the phenomenon has "absolutely no right to exist" because it hurts the feelings of publishers and devs is an incredibly weak argument.