• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Get fucked Bobby. I hated him even before all of this for what he's done to the company and the terrible conditions the devs had to work in just in regards to the amount of work and crunch they were under, but it's even worse now. I hope he's gone after this

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Watch this guy still get a huge bonus at the end of the year. Fucking ridiculous.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
User threadbanned: thread derailment. This is not the thread to discuss moderation policy.
I hope this doesn't mean less hype threads for their games though. Resetera has a responsibility to keep the hype going for Acti-Blizz.

Don't worry about it. We still have hype threads for Sony and MS 1st party etc. so Acti-Blizz hype is safe.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
About time! About time we get justice for the victims.

Jun 20, 2021
Right, this is something everyone should remember here. It is a stretch, but if the SEC can find some sort of linkage to where the board possibly hid knowledge or deceived investors, which led to a material impact on the stock, ActiBlizz will be staring down another barrel loaded with millions of dollars of fines.
I remember when Facebook got a fine for something egregious and it made their stock go UP because they can pretty much afford anything.

Fines are how the rich commit crimes.

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Bobby

EkzWUmNWAAEnkLV.jpg

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the thread title is somewhat misleading in to what the SEC is actually looking into here.

I'll edit and say if I could read the full article without a paywall my comment may not be accurate. Just working with what the SEC actually can do.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So the SEC focuses on the financial side of this, who would focus on the employee side of this? The FTC? Basically, which federal agency would be the one to say, yo, stop treating your employees like shit or else.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

It was ridiculous that in Moneyball he played an executive who said "We have no money to spare".

On topic, hope this leads to at least a LOT of pressure on Kotick and the higher ups who let Activision-Blizzard's unsafe workplace, and they resign as a result. It's time to clean house starting with the the most powerful and working downwards.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Long shot - but this is probably the only avenue that could lead to real punishment (jail time etc.) For higher ups

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I would hope this gets elevated to the Labor Department too

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Do note that the SEC can't really do anything about bad workplaces, misogyny, discrimination, etc. They are not the part of the gov that has purview over this.

What they CAN do is evaluate if investors were mislead or defrauded about the company because any of the above was not properly disclosed but was known by company execs, and it effects the nature of the investment. It's a bit of a roundabout

This was the question I had when I first saw this.

SEC investigations are about whether investors were defrauded. The only way I can see that being the case is if some internal audit of this stuff had happened, execs were aware it was a company-wide problem, but decided not to disclose to market, that would be problematic. Otherwise, if they were just viewing it as a case-by-case basis and then just kind of sloughed it off, it would mean they didn't intend to defraud the market.

Financial fraud always comes with that little bit of difficulty where it must be proven that the accused knew they were committing fraud or believed it must be hidden from affected parties. If the market was not one of those parties, the SEC will likely not be able to do much.

But more scrutiny on them is good.