• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

The Securities and Exchange Commission has subpoenaed Activision, known for its Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Candy Crush franchises, and several of its senior executives, including longtime Chief Executive Bobby Kotick, according to the people and documents.

The agency is asking for documents including minutes from Activision board meetings since 2019, personnel files of six former employees, and separation agreements the company has reached this year with staffers, records show. The SEC is asking for Mr. Kotick's communications with other senior executives regarding complaints of sexual harassment or discrimination by Activision employees or contractors, the documents show.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
That man has probably insulated himself so well that he doesn't know shit. Good move regardless though and I hope something comes of it

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It would make me so happy to see Activision (and Bobby Kotick) actually face some real consequences for this.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Do note that the SEC can't really do anything about bad workplaces, misogyny, discrimination, etc. They are not the part of the gov that has purview over this.

What they CAN do is evaluate if investors were mislead or defrauded about the company because any of the above was not properly disclosed but was known by company execs, and it effects the nature of the investment. It's a bit of a roundabout

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Ya Acti/Blizzard seems to be in a unique class of terrible to have more testimonials than I have ever seen against a company and lawsuits and investigations coming from all over the place. Like holy shit it's an actual cesspool.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Thats nice, I'll believe any of this matters when I actually see it come into action. I don't see anything changing other than a few people getting fired and some fines that they can easily stomach.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Reminds me a bit of Succession season 2, how this is going down. Everyone trying to cover it up, but it's just making it worse, and big heads are gonna need to fall.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
What they CAN do is evaluate if investors were mislead or defrauded about the company because any of the above was not properly disclosed but was known by company execs, and it effects the nature of the investment. It's a bit of a roundabout

Right, exactly. If Acti ever misled investors about any of this, then that's when the SEC cracks its knuckles

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
shiit-sheesh.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Karma's finally coming for ActiBlizz. Hopefully some real & meaningful change comes from this.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Do note that the SEC can't really do anything about bad workplaces, misogyny, discrimination, etc. They are not the part of the gov that has purview over this.

So it can hurt them financially, which I quite enjoy hearing. Investors being mad is never good for them (in case the SEC evaluates it that way).

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Derailing, trolling and hostility
I hope this doesn't mean less hype threads for their games though. Resetera has a responsibility to keep the hype going for Acti-Blizz.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the most 👀 news about activision yet if you're the kind of person that particularly wants Kotick and co. to have some chance of suffering from the company's misdeeds: everything else up to this point is plausibly something that could conceivably be ignored or papered over with investors as long as Call of Duty sells well this year

but if it turns out the people involved committed securities fraud in their attempts to conceal the whole matter then, you're gonna have a bunch of very rich people who will now think they should've gotten way more money than they actually did from the company and will be looking to make someone(s) pay for it.

Like it's definitely not my most preferred way but if this is what opens up pathways to "kotick and co get kicked the fuck out of activision", I'll take it.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018

Is there a shareholder lawsuit at this point?

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

Right, this is something everyone should remember here. It is a stretch, but if the SEC can find some sort of linkage to where the board possibly hid knowledge or deceived investors, which led to a material impact on the stock, ActiBlizz will be staring down another barrel loaded with millions of dollars of fines.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Ooooh hell yeah!!

I know very little about the corporate world, but I do know one thing, you never, ever fuck with the SEC and if they're ever looking into you, you're fucked.

As far as I'm aware though, disclosures about potential lawsuits as required by GAAP should have required Activision Blizzard to at the very least disclose the investigation, so there is a legitimate question as to who in Activision Blizzard was not ensuring that such information was included and why. If there isn't a legitimate reason as to why they refused to disclose it, there are going to be some hefty fines being paid

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User threadbanned: thread derailment. This is not the thread to discuss moderation policy.
I really hope Era Mods are going to overthink this "all publishers / devs are equally bad so we won't shut down Blizzard hype threads" stance.

Because Acti/Blizz is obviously way worse.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Right, this is something everyone should remember here. It is a stretch, but if the SEC can find some sort of linkage to where the board possibly hid knowledge or deceived investors, which led to a material impact on the stock, ActiBlizz will be staring down another barrel loaded with millions of dollars of fines.
practically pocket change to them