• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Not my first choice since many were already posted, but this song combined with the scene definitely gave me some feels

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020

"We were supposed to take care of each other...and we did"
Pokémon mystery dungeon and mass effect also had some good ones too

SaltyDuck

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Don't think this is the saddest video game song, or even the saddest in the TLOU series, but I personally find it to be really touching in the context of the section this song plays in.

"Well, this place takes me back."
"How so?"
"It was right after everything went down. I ended up in a triage just like this. Man, everywhere you looked, you just saw families being torn apart... The whole damn world seemed to have turned upside down in a blink..."
"Is that after you lost Sarah?"
"Yes, it was..."
"I...can't imagine losing someone you love like that. Losing everything that you know. I'm sorry Joel."
"It's okay, Ellie."

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019

It's not the saddest song I've heard, but it's affected me recently along with the scene it accompanies.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019

Hearing this cover in the end credits and just thinking back on the entire game made me bawl.. again

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know about the absolute saddest but the first thing that popped into my mind was the Ori and the Blind Forest Spirit Tree theme, literally every time I hear it since playing Ori I get a bit emotional. Dang I love those games.

"We were supposed to take care of each other...and we did"
Pokémon mystery dungeon and mass effect also had some good ones too

Excellent answers!

As a huge fan of The National, this hidden gem in Portal 2 hit me right in the feels:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The title might be considered a spoiler for Doki Doki Literature Club so I am gonna put it behind a spoiler tag.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

For me it's this - because what happens to these characters and how somber and sad the cast of the game look when the game is starting up. Until you get to that point in the game, you don't understand why they look that way and it's devastating when you get there and realise that they're all sad for one reason and Tidus has another reason for sounding the way he does.

I don't think there was a better game I could have played as a 12 year old.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily this one from LISA The Joyful:

"You have to know this, Buddy. I was completely lost before I found you. You made me feel things I'd never felt before...You showed me what love really is. And that's why when I look into your eyes, it's the scariest feeling in the world. It's why I buried myself so deep into the darkness. But, I promise you, I tried so hard to fight it. I tried. And no matter what, I really did love you with all my heart. I'm so sorry I failed you, Buddy. I miss you so much."

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

For me it's this - because what happens to these characters and how somber and sad the cast of the game look when the game is starting up. Until you get to that point in the game, you don't understand why they look that way and it's devastating when you get there and realise that they're all sad for one reason and Tidus has another reason for sounding the way he does.

I don't think there was a better game I could have played as a 12 year old.

I don't feel like To Zanarkand is a particularly sad song. I think it's a more hopeful song. The sad song is Someday the Dream Will End:

It's a reprise of Suteki da Ne, like Tidus is being consumed by thoughts of it as he marches towards the inevitable fate. Suteki da Ne was about Yuna wanting to be with Tidus forever. Someday the Dream Will End has this plodding cadence like Tidus is forcing himself to move forward. The sonar pings make it feel like diving into the crushing depths as the weight of reality weighs on his head.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
The sounds cemented down
Circus on repeating clouds
Just over and over, a crown
Of repeating sounds

Time to make the ugly lovely
Time will make the lovely ugly

So I'm leaving

Stopped in a lesson, shot down
Sirens are ringing all around
Time will make me into something
Then time will turn me into nothing

So I'm leaving

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019

this entire game's OST takes plenty of inspiration from the works of Satie and his contemporaries, but this track in particular stuck with me given the in game context. The way in which it never fully resolved its natural melodic course/journey speaks to just how well the music supports this game's themes.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Becalmed from SoT. Made extra effective by the serendipity of playing it with other people at just the right moment.

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
First thing that came to mind is Allowed to be Happy from TLOU2. Maybe the title of the song really helps this in the context of the game, it just hits me everytime I listen to it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

I'm a person who cried during that scene in Final Fantasy VII as a child, cried during Steins;Gate as an adult and even though both of those games feature stunning and sad music, I don't think anything compares to this. The whole piece is just so depressing and upsetting, I really struggle to listen to it sometimes (and play the game in general, MGS4 is such a bleak title).

It's beautiful though. When I'm in the mood it's perfect.