• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.theroot.com/word-to-the-unwise-black-voters-will-reject-any-2020-d-1831339154

I really wish establishment black media who have made their intent to represent me not speak with such a broad brush about these things. I understand that you are emotionally attached to Obama as a persona for various reasons, he was the main reason i ironically got into politics in the first place, the first vote i ever cast was for him, he is a very eloquent and personable guy from what the media shows.

But, making this simultaneous piece about progressives(he calls out Sanders and David Sirota) trashing Obama when 90 to 95% of what he considers "the far left" have never critiqued Obama on pretty much anything besides policy in the context of moving beyond the neoliberal status quo which actually hurts minorities is very strange.

So your message is that critiquing Obama on policy at any point is off limits? That's pretty dangerous if you apply that to pretty much any other black politician regardless of policy or political stripe. Its bizarre to me because the author even claims that they have some critiques of Obama themselves, yet says he won't actually hold him to account on any of them, or look at them in a vacuum simply because he is Obama.

Like...i get it, but i dont get it. When does it become acceptable to talk about the flaws of a President or their job leading a political party or a country beyond who they are personally? I would like to know that.

Have you responded to the article in the comment section? Or if possible, wrote the writer himself?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Op can throw out the scary "Establishment" titles all he wants but the article is correct. Hell I've seen it here on Era and back during the last election. So-called leftest trashing and retroactively dismantling the first Black President legacy dick riding Bernie Sanders and the like.

We can have a conversation about Obama shortcomins or policy failures. But that is Not was generally happens.

The primary cause of enmity regarding those topics is that so few people actually truly engage with them.

It's a raft of three and four word posts like "But remember drone strikes?"

It eschews any context of the period, the particulars of any individual moment or action, and imllies a complete dearth of thought given to the history of a policy.

I'm adamantly against drone strikes, and the 90s crime bill, and a host of other Democratic-supported policies over the years but you have to simultaneously engage with the fact that those policies were either also supported by multiple camps, made sense for the moment, or could be learned from to alter our progress going forward.

Using them solely as reflexive interjections to perform your politics doesn't do anyone any good.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obama is and outside of some horrifc scandal will remain the most popular dem politician of our lifetimes and this is especially true for the black community. I would say you would be extremely stupid to attack obama in the primaries.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
There are people in this very forum who think the best way to take Beto down is by claiming he is too much like Obama. The same will be hurled at Kamala if she starts polling better.

To say the political instincts of some here like the OP and others is pretty out of touch would be putting it mildly.
It's why things will never go their way, imo. There's absolutely no point in trashing the man.
Centrists!

/s

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think any candidate should go after Obama directly. He remains very popular. One could critique the policies he enacted, but direct attack's aren't going to work.

However, we should always criticize our politicians no matter who they are or how much we like them.

Oct 25, 2017
Critiquing his presidency is fine.

Doing what dipshits like Matt Stoller and David Sirota do is gonna just earn you enemies.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
This article is so annoying. Sanders and his supporters are hardly far left. And Obama isn't exactly immune from criticism; his brand of bipartisanship/unity was an utter failure that enabled the republicans.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
No man is above reproach, including Obama. However when I see someone say "Obama has no legacy because the ACA was trash that did nothing and if he had just presidented hard enough, we would have single payer already!" all I hear is "I'm an idiot who has no idea how politics works and my political opinions should be ignored". The same can be applied to other topics besides healthcare. Criticize all you want but don' be a disingenuous, moron about it. That's what sets people off and will alienate voters real fast.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Naw. Hillary trashed Obama in the primaries and most blacks trashed her in kind. Then turned and voted for her when it was her time versus Bernie.

I'm saying you can't predict these things. All blacks don't think alike.
Trashed him in a comepetive primary before he was President isn't the same as making your case today trashing his time as President.

This take isn't particularly controversial or surprising (one would think). Anyone in the field who doesn't understand the point of the piece will find out the hard way, I guess.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The business model, if you like, of the Democratic Party for the last 15 years or so has been a failure. People sometimes don't see that because there was a charismatic individual named Barack Obama, who won the presidency in 2008 and 2012. He was obviously an extraordinary candidate, brilliant guy. But behind that reality, over the last 10 years, Democrats have lost about 1,000 seats in state legislatures all across this country."

~Bernie Sanders at an MLK50 event

Do people think that quote is a criticism of Obama? It doesn't read that way to me at all- its a criticism of the Democratic Party and its leadership. POTUS is obviously a big job, no one expected him to manage the Dem party on top of leading the country. He's just saying that the credit for Obama winning the presidency should go to Obama's own talents than the effectiveness of the Dem party.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any candidate should go after Obama directly. He remains very popular. One could critique the policies he enacted, but direct attack's aren't going to work.

However, we should always criticize our politicians no matter who they are or how much we like them.
Going after Obama's policies in a Dem primary is just as stupid. There is no reason to go after the most popular man in the country in his own political party primary in any way if you want to win.

There is nothing wrong with having issues with Obama or his policies but don't expect to win a Dem primary if you go after him.

Obama is as untouchable amongst the Dem base as Reagan was in the GOP circa 2000-2008.

It's important to know your audience

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Obama conducting drone strikes isn't an issue anyways outside the left wing.

What upset people was the nightly drum beat on the news of US troops getting shot and blown up in Iraq.

Notice how the US presence in Iraq and Afghanistan faded from people's mind once it was just several thousand soldiers in support roles well behind the front lines or confined to heavily guarded bases.

They definitely don't care about a robot blowing up god knows who over god knows what in Waziristan.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can criticize from the context of where the U.S. is on the political spectrum without being super shrill and condescending. Especially if you're criticizing one of the best and well-received Presidents we've had (note: by an American standard). Running your mouth at someone without due respect is fine and all on a message board or Twitter, but in a professional sphere, it's rancid. I want the U.S. to go further left, but I don't agree that this is the way to go about it. Get others in your party on board with your message; don't bully them into it.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Going after Obama's policies in a Dem primary is just as stupid. There is no reason to go after the most popular man in the country in his own political party primary in any way if you want to win.

There is nothing wrong with having issues with Obama or his policies but don't expect to win a primary if you go after him.

Obama is as untouchable amongst the Dem base as Reagan was in the GOP circa 2000-2008.
Stuff like the usage of drones could be critiqued or saying that the ACA doesn't go far enough can be done.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
obama has his issues. he is still the greatest president ive ever had in my 34 years on this earth. his democratic predecessor (bill) was a complete failure socially and as a human being. dubya was the longest 8 years of my life. i was 8 when hw was leaving so i have very few standout memories of him. i remember ross perot more than hw (that could be because of All That, he was spoofed on that like all the freaking time)

in summary, i got obamas back here. trash him at your peril

I'll only trash him on the grounds of I wanted 2016 Barack his entire term. He didn't avoid topics like automation like he did while President when he was on the way out. He should have been championing this issue as a speaker to the public since 2011, but he let conservatives win by letting them whine about it not ever gonna happen (he spoke about the automation of ATMs in replace of bank tellers, which most people in this forum can see in their own lives as a change that actually happened).

The fact the "NAFTA took our jobs" narrative has been seen as the primary loss of jobs in sectors like manufacturing is an L Obama deserves to hold, as he's had the data to prove it wrong. As did Hillary, but they're making it a third rail by not being honest, letting con men come in with empty promises and justifying the fake narrative.

Ferulci

Oct 31, 2017
So your message is that critiquing Obama on policy at any point is off limits?
The article is literally saying the contrary It's ok to criticize Obama just like it's ok to criticize any human beings.
Trashing him with headline like "another Obama is the LAST thing the United States needs" or "Obama destroyed Democratic Party" is as wrong and stupid as it gets.
And it's also a losing strategy.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like the usage of drones could be critiqued or saying that the ACA doesn't go far enough can be done.
They are reasonable complaints but it's not wise to do that in a primary if going at Obama directly. There is no winning being critical of Obama in a Dem primary.

Religition of Obama's policies is not a really appealing topic for a base who is 110% focused on beating Trump at all cost.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Obama is probably going to end up being the most popular president of our lifetime so going after him personally, whether direct or indirect, is pretty stupid even if their heart is in the right place. We don't need candidates to focus on what someone else did wrong. They just need to talk about what they can do better.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
If you start off your piece claiming Bernie got his "ass whooped", I think you have some fundamental misunderstandings of how politics works.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
lol Harris/Beto

a prosecutor and a republican who speaks spanish

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Obama didn't do anything bad a Republican wouldn't have done worse.

The best critique of his failures would be proposing how to correct them. No need to blast him directly.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Obama wasn't perfect and got a lot wrong at times. But I really don't want to hear other candidates within the democratic party bash him. Seems like a 'no duh' type of statement and anyone with an ounce of sense should know better. Focus on your own policies and plans and what you want to accomplish for your potential term. Why should I vote for YOU; what do I have to look forward to from your potential presidency? If all you're doing is looking back and tut-tutting Obama for his faults you've lost me utterly. You're digging a ditch and it's going to be harder for you to crawl your way out of it in my eyes.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol Harris/Beto

This is the part of the thread where someone declares Beto a centrist/Republican based off nothing right? Next up someone is going to call Kamala a cop I am sure.

Beto voted with the GOP only 4% and 5% his first two terms. His third when running state wide in a red state he voted 8%. The average Dem votes 7%.

What a Republican.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
lol Harris/Beto

15735.jpg

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any left candidates trashing Obama (not "criticism", but actual "trashing")? The only people on the left trashing Obama I've seen are random "progressives" online with short term memories/no concept of how US politics work.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any left candidates trashing Obama (not "criticism", but actual "trashing")? The only people on the left trashing Obama I've seen are random "progressives" online with short term memories/no concept of how US politics work.

I don't think anyone in politics with enough sway to be a potential candidate would do something so asinine. It's just the anime avatars usually and people like Sirota.

BurntFoot

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
Obama was ineffective for us black folks. He doesn't deserve to be defended just cause. If a white politician has a better agenda for black folks, then he is my man.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't think of any politicians trashing obama. thats why this article is balls

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Obama was ineffective for us black folks. He doesn't deserve to be defended just cause. If a white politician has a better agenda for black folks, then he is my man.
I don't know the ACA sure did allow my black family to be covered despite having pre-exisiting conditions. You know, the conditions that poor communities of color are more likely to have due to food deserts and other social failings that disproportionately target them.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nomis of course trashed Obama directly in the Beto thread about Beto being too much like Obama lol. And compared Obama to being a Republican lite as well. Seems to be his go to move.

obama has more common ground on policy with mittens romney than with AOC

if you guys run another one of these charismatic third-way dinosaurs in 2020 trump is gonna win again and i will want to kms

julian

Oct 27, 2017
He lost in a landslide in the 2016 primaries. Losing by 13% in a two person race is not a close election.

He was barely known on the national stage and performed significantly better than anybody expected. He outperformed against a clear favorite. Do you also say Beto was crushed in Texas? You're choosing one metric to view things and it's a metric that isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be in determining whether somebody can win the presidency - which is what the article is about.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was barely known on the national stage and performed significantly better than anybody expected. He outperformed against a clear favorite. Do you also say Beto was crushed in Texas? You're choosing one metric to view things and it's a metric that isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be in determining whether somebody can win the presidency - which is what the article is about.
If Beto lost by 13% in texas then yeah Beto would have been crushed in a landslide. If Bernie lost by 2% like Beto did I would say bernie did amazing and nearly won.

Your comparison doesn't work lol.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Beto was 10 points closer to Cruz the Burnie was to Clinton.

So that metric only makes Bernie look worse lmao

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
"to appease the far left"

Wait, there is a far left that hates obama?

I figure these are the same or at least an adjacent crowd whom, when there's a news story about Obama doing even the most minor good thing, like, I dunno, delivering toys to children, the first words out of their mouths are "DRONE STRIKES"

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
This article is so annoying. Sanders and his supporters are hardly far left. And Obama isn't exactly immune from criticism; his brand of bipartisanship/unity was an utter failure that enabled the republicans.
It's only annoying if you ignore its intent which your post implies.