• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
header.jpg

There's more than one VR game that deserves attention this week!

Released today across all the major headsets I wouldn't be surprised to see The Room VR become (relatively) popular such as the mobile phone games.

Apparently the atmosphere and story is really well done with a lot of satisfying puzzles.

Anyone tried it out yet?

UploadVR:
"The Room VR: A Dark Matter is an exemplary puzzle game that not only serves as a prime example of what makes puzzle games so compelling in the first place, but elevates the genre via VR with supreme interactivity, excellent visuals, and a palpably mysterious atmosphere. It's only held back slightly by some minor frustrations with pacing and difficulty, but is otherwise one of the best puzzle games available in a VR headset. It carries the torch lit by Myst and demonstrates how engrossing a puzzle game can be when done right."

God is a Geek:
"Each room you encounter is detailed fantastically, and the various locations are immersive. Jumping from mobile to VR has allowed Fireproof to go big or go home, and whilst the first few locations take place in one room, locations like the church have multiple rooms and not only are they designed well, the audio only heightens the experience. The Room VR: A Dark Matter is filled with wonders that don't always present themselves easily, but once you get stuck in there's plenty to enjoy.

The Room VR: A Dark Matter is a complex puzzler that gives you plenty to do, and makes sure you're never left in limbo if you're struggling to progress. The visuals are great, and the audio makes every crank, mechanism, and object feel real. Whilst the rooms take a while to complete, and the text and level of detail can strain your eyes, it's still a fantastic puzzle game that keeps you on your toes throughout."

Edge:
"An escape room videogame that feels more real than any we've ever played before"

Game Informer:
"A Dark Matter takes the series' ghostly environments to a whole new level. It isn't a traditional horror game; you don't have to worry about getting attacked by monsters, but the atmosphere is unnerving. During several moments, I couldn't shake the feeling that someone else was watching me. I even hesitated to move down a darkened hall because I wasn't ready to face the unknown. A lot of this enhanced atmosphere is due to the inherent immersion provided by VR, but A Dark Matter's atmosphere is also incredibly affecting and exhilarating in its own right, and almost worth the price of admission alone....

...I was curious to see how well that formula translates to virtual reality. Thankfully, it is a perfect fit for VR, and the series' barebone narrative makes this is a great chance for newcomers to jump onboard. The puzzle-box gameplay is great for VR, and Fireproof's moody environments should delight fans of atmospheric horror. In some ways, A Dark Matter is the culmination of everything Fireproof has done on mobile, but I also hope that it is a new beginning for the series in VR."

Polygon:
"The Room VR traps you inside a wonderfully cohesive world with internal logic that doesn't have to play by the established rules of our reality. It forces you to think your way out of things while greater powers always seem right around the corner. This is dread, disguised as a puzzle game, and VR has only made it better."

G0B6CBrFuBSfPsj1Xn8D2i05F1fhpMf1s9kkX7nPbdWWlal4PUAgMHCdHZ1yf38kEWD_4qXzVChYq4EY9LqZn1ZhyS3z2UtzbF38jKQ8beEjYlws8SihdXsNmd_B45Hvq-5D_ClLIrUI4Ls9JzO_ZRQn9Cni82tok5htBcqIYDcmOvN7IlmERwp1cuXzUljDDL7oW7Tz3PCRUn3Q79nLnoYiZf8Ipdza21P3zQCBloYj7om61XHCOKjgFygptdOHvaB3a34994mNJ4KK5rUi_S4jtd-8vo0wfcbv1CXDxq_ePs2hWP6_c4wqhg1oB9oP65B8f6qRoyKM_cYqk0HpXh6b5Mf9TjGPqcN_7EPXd0rCmig6ahXaRvINguiMvF7vw1b_irwyjVZBufe9YyWXnBW8Bx6dxt6R3OVsU9KtI6y7Y5efP-tVAg7fbNCXCFrhQVYCJCwV041i9NHjSM8Wq6AqZQ-5PUEWfNPAKTNtBEzBEYYkWCMTYwaQ1zWZMO5jm8FudeWGC088ocQ6djJ4xj6BT2NKSpsFx6k_Tz-dFynm0x8DdhxwffFbU0xuDWiaAeaEoKZaROQSP4xVYkOO73XEnpCeJaFeH8FHuXIGfNRdvd7usi_Z6TQeZnq5YeQqE7WHPwqWhvn4Y4bJ0aN-4cHme7eUDHmhkRGUX0CcGnC56XJV-JvojPzB4S4MWpF0xj4s8woVudWNtTdImooyofvleSlKzsdSJ6SgrlhX0euJy6qynS_IY7Ga=w1178-h785-no

roomvr-adm_screenshot_06_2560x1440.jpg

49680806738_7e7bbef795_o.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the mobile games are amazing, great atmospheric puzzle gameplay. i imagine playing something like that in VR would be an amazing experience.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
gonna buy it, but I just bought the control season pass so until i'm done with the first dlc imma wait

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I love that THIS is the game that will get me to set up my VR rig again. The whole series has been an insta-buy for me on mobile, so I've got to check this out.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
neat, could be a good sitting VR experience. i liked the idea of the mobile games but didn't like touch screen gameplay. with good VR this could be fun.

hopefully will work with PSVR2 when that's out.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Planning on grabbing this after I'm totally done with Alyx.

I'd like to see the reviews when they come out.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did an IRL escape room last december for the first time in Austin, Texas and had a complete blast. I wasn't expecting it to be so much fun, but when I walked out, I said I felt like I had done IRL resident evil without the zombies. Been really interested in this ever since. Only concern of mine is the companionship of having my friends going through the escape room with me was part of the appeal, I wonder if that's lost in a video game.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see the reviews when they come out.
There are a few ones in the OP.

I just completed the first serious room (past the tutorial room). Those two hours just flew by.
I'm playing on the Quest and with the game being rather stationary with not many dynamic aspects they can crank the graphics very high. Looks really good. Arguably (in its static world) it looks sharper than HL:A on my PC which makes me wonder if I should have tweaked my settings more hehe (played on low-fidelity on a 2015 rig). I can feel a difference in controller tracking where it seems slightly more responsive in 'native' Quest mode (vs w/Link on PC).

But the game scenes are not completely static either with some wonderful lighting effects and some well animated character shimmers when story aspects are revealed. There's clearly a decent budget behind this game. There's a lot of ambient like rain on glass-roof and thunder.... sound effects are great and I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded most using binaural equipment. Pulling a lever or rotating a wheel sounds just right. Being a node-based navigation system they have good control of how things are presented. And in this game having a node-based navigation is a blessing because it limits wasting time when you face some serious puzzles (I felt close to using one of the hints near the end but just before giving in I discovered something I overlooked). It is also quite fun & eerie to use the lenses that lets you observe paranormal writings and more.

Looking forward to continue tomorrow. Next room looks great.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I can understand for games that came out on the Rift ages ago and are only now hitting the Quest, but it's a bummer when a new game launches on both and is still separate SKUs.

Still, I'm not sure which one I'll pick up but I'll certainly grab one or the other. This seems like a perfect franchise for VR.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
VR is such a perfect fit for this series. I've been anticipating this release for a while now and I can't wait to dig in after Alyx.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I did an IRL escape room last december for the first time in Austin, Texas and had a complete blast. I wasn't expecting it to be so much fun, but when I walked out, I said I felt like I had done IRL resident evil without the zombies. Been really interested in this ever since. Only concern of mine is the companionship of having my friends going through the escape room with me was part of the appeal, I wonder if that's lost in a video game.
As someone whose friend group got waaaay into escape rooms in just the last year as well, I think your concerns are well-founded: I love The Room series, but it doesn't have the same dynamic as doing the same sorts of puzzles with others. I found that the IRL escape room experience's best moments were when you had been puzzling over something for a few minutes, and a friend walks up and looks at it from a completely different perspective...or the inverse, where you look at a clue and just immediately get it, helping your friend out.

The Room games (at least, the mobile ones) scratch a similar itch in terms of "ah-ha" moments, but they definitely feel very solitary.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
You can give Tick Tock - A Tale for Two a shot. It's for two players over a voice connection. Both players have different information and you need to share it to be able to solve the puzzles. So a bit different from an escape room but still in the same vein. Like a mix of escape room and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

The We Were Here series is similar. The first game is free (but not as polished).

Last edited:

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Is this in the same genre as I Expect You To DIe? Any other VR game similar to it?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I did not know this was a thing. I love that the series has been successful enough to lead to this. Would like a physical version but may pick it up digitally soon anyway.

JediMasterMatt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... a spooky VR game titled The Room.

Not what I had hoped for; but, still intrigued.

Note - get on this Wiseau.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice, this is an actual The Room game. (thought at first someone might have just copied the name) Will have to check it out.

Edit: $45 is quite the price tag though

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely getting this when my Index arrives.
I love The Room as a puzzle game. Trying this in VR will be amazing.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Completed the third room tonight. Took me 2 hours 30 about. Really well done and spacious this one. It introduced a new gameplay element which hasn't been hinted at in the trailer and thankfully not mentioned in any of the reviews I read. A cool surprise.

I wonder what diabolical mind did the music puzzle though...

dimitri2401

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
I've played this a bit on PSVR and it's really great. Can't wait to play more.

I personally had no problem with it but my gf felt VR sickness a lot with this one (even though it only has teleportation).

Anyways, this and Paper Beast, what a strong week for PSVR.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand for games that came out on the Rift ages ago and are only now hitting the Quest, but it's a bummer when a new game launches on both and is still separate SKUs.

Still, I'm not sure which one I'll pick up but I'll certainly grab one or the other. This seems like a perfect franchise for VR.

It's got Rift cross-buy! Whichever platform you purchase for, the other will become free.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I'm playing on an Index and wish I could press a button to "interact" instead of having to press my fingers against the controller. I couldn't find any option to change this, and wish I could just map it to the trigger on the back. Am I missing something?

dimitri2401

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
That's odd since the game is node/teleportation based with snap turning as default (only?) option. Has she played other VR games?

Yep, she's played a few (she even got the platinum in Astro Bot).

It's true that she's always been pretty sensitive to VR sickness but The Room might strangely be one of the worst games she's tried yet (when it really shouldn't be).

Still, she loves it so much that she cannot stopped playing it even when feeling bad ;)

And again, I'm not feeling any VR sickness on this one, so don't skip this great game.

And yes, I believe it's snap turning only.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Crossposting from the PSVR thread :

I've played the first hour or so on PSVR and I'm really impressed. It looks and sounds great, the controls work very well (using move controllers, haven't tried with a pad) and it's got a lovely Cthulhu-esque atmosphere.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I'm playing on an Index and wish I could press a button to "interact" instead of having to press my fingers against the controller. I couldn't find any option to change this, and wish I could just map it to the trigger on the back. Am I missing something?

SteamVR allows for remapping of inputs on the system level. I would look into that.