• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've started my own re-watch of MCU in anticipation of Endgame. In honor of said Endgame, I'll be re-watching every movie including ones that I absolutely detest or have skipped, which includes Thor 1 and 2. As I write this, I am deep in the middle of Phase 1.

Iron Man - There's actually a lot more that I noticed and wanted to unpack more than just saying that this movie is good. It certainly is still an enjoyable, engrossing watch for me for both superficial reasons with a great emotional core. Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane is still a guilty pleasure of mine, and very few things in MCU make me as giddy as the literal evolution of Mark 1, 2 and 3. To add, there are still rad things I'm discovering about this movie after more than ten years.

Only on this rewatch I realized that Tony Stark's multiple encounters with Everhart were great markers of where he was as a character throughout the movie. His first succinctly summarized him as a brilliant womanizer, comfortable with his privileges mistaking his ignorance as strength. I do have to note however that the treatment of Everhart herself by the movie as a whole made me uncomfortable and feeling bit gross, even if I realize that it's symptomatic of the era. Both in how women are treated in general and how the script has her as a plot device (also Jesus, I just realized Stark's second meeting with Everhart was him dearly afraid that the reporter had the news that she was pregnant from their encounter.) Beyond that, the meeting does provide him with the impetus of literally taking the situation into his own hands. Rhodes wasn't at the point where he was taking Stark seriously and Stane? Man just straight up admitted he stabbed Stark in the back. Finally, at the press conference, Stark had the ability to admit to her that he was Iron Man. It's a great moment of growth where he finally had the sincerity and confidence to cut through his own sarcastic humor and declare so with informed pride. I am Iron Man.

There are quite a few things I have come to realize to be problematic in the film as I've grown older and more aware. One good thing is that it does show how far Marvel studios have come. It is a fantastic thing that the movie has steadily dropped in my personal rankings as the MCU has progressed. On a note, a few months ago someone commented here that the adlib dialogue greatly lends the movie its own feel and identity. It's a lovely observation that I agree with.

Iron Man 2 - It isn't a hard rewatch. The action scenes are heavily improved over the first, even if everything about Vanko himself was a wet fart. Mickey Rourke had a certain charisma on screen but that was all that carried him. I genuinely oscillate between asserting that this film can be skipped for the average watcher to begrudgingly acquiescing that it barely qualifies as a necessary part, if only for the bits and pieces of Stark's difficult relationship with his father. Come on, everything we need to know about Black Widow and Nick Fury is told in Avengers and everywhere else.

The Incredible Hulk - This was the first time I rewatched this movie in maybe six or seven years. I had very much enjoyed it then but wow, it dropped hard. The chemistry between Banner and Betty Ross were good. I had no problems following the plot. I actually thought the Hulk's fighting style here was fun to watch. But this movie in general is just not compelling. The whole package really lands specifically in that average section where I just don't care much to talk about it. The poster who earlier commented that it's not the best or the worst had surprising accuracy. Notably though, the Hulk in this movie is quite handsome. I'm not the only one, right? I feel like Hulk's face looks much more pleasant visually than Mark Ruffalo's Hulk.

For real though, I do think that Ed Norton's Hulk character is interesting but Ruffalo's Hulk has just gone through a much more visceral journey.

On to Thor. God, I hated Thor.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, if you start today, you can get in 1 MCU film a day until the Thursday night showings of Endgame on the 25th (including going to a theater to see Captain Marvel on the 24th that is)

I'm watching Ironman 1 right now. Still a fantastic film.

It is weird as hell seeing super-tech savy Tony Stark with a dated, pre-smart LG phone.

John Favreau was really skinny.
Clark Gregg looks perpetually 45

On to Thor. God, I hated Thor.

I firmly believe that Thor 1 is the most underrated of all MCU films.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know how long after infinity war this takes place yet?

I mean there a lot of rumours in the spoiler thread but looking at the trailers you can definitely see that there are characters with longer hair than in Infinity War, and for example seeing Antman walking around really dilapidated places personally points to at least a partial jump ahead rather than a 'direct' sequel.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I was inspired to make a mashup...

q9MWxII.gif

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thor 2 is prolly not going to get done
Ultron either

Those are just too unwatchable

Otherwise I think I'm done.
Unless you need Agents of Shield or the Marvel Netflix stuff

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have time to do the movies like I thought I would. I think I might just watch the Avengers movies as well as Civil War before opening night. Maybe I'll throw in Iron Man since it was the first (and still really good).

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there a lot of rumours in the spoiler thread but looking at the trailers you can definitely see that there are characters with longer hair than in Infinity War, and for example seeing Antman walking around really dilapidated places personally points to at least a partial jump ahead rather than a 'direct' sequel.
Looks like it starts immediately afterwards and then jumps forward a hit to show us a world trying, but failing, to move on.
Thx guys. I thought I read somewhere it was 3 years. Now I'm reading 5. I dunno

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Thor rewatch.

Yeah, okay, it's slightly more engaging than I give it credit for. But maybe 4/10 to 5/10. Loki mystifies on screen but I just don't care for the eponymous Mighty Thor. The best of Thor's shots over the best of Thor Ragnarok's shots and the soundtrack actually does end up sounding great to me. I'll give credit where credit is due, yet I feel nothing but mild awkwardness for the melodrama that surrounds the circumstance of our hero. I've always liked the ending of this movie (not just because the movie finally ends) but how Loki's face was when the god of mischief realized he would never surpass his brother in Odin's heart? Wewwwww. I totally bought him letting go.

Anyway, yeah. On to Captain America TFA. Every single rewatch, I end up digging this movie more and more.

How much time passed in universe between ending of Captain America and Avengers again?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Day 2: The Incredible Hulk

It's not great, but this movie gets a little better every time I see it.

I like that they don't spend more than the bare minimum amount of time on the origin story, just enough for anyone who might not know "man get angry, man turn green". We get a decent story about Bruce trying and failing to cure himself.

Ruffalo is great, but Norton pulls off "Bruce the genius" a lot better, and I do wish Norton hadn't burned his bridges and had come back.

I'm still a bit shocked that with all the little hooks in this film that the MCU has just ignored, they brought back Ross. They didn't have to. Anyone could have filled his role in Civil War. I'm doubly surprised they brought him back given they also introduced Everett Ross in the same film. If there's one scene I wish we had gotten in Infinity War, it's for Ross's hologram-call to Rhody to have lasted a bit longer so Bruce could walk in and Ross see that he's back.

There's a shot during the fight on the college campus where Hulk is just flying across the field, and I can't remember any of the other movies really showing off that the Hulk is REALLY, REALLY fast.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Day 2: The Incredible Hulk

It's not great, but this movie gets a little better every time I see it.

I like that they don't spend more than the bare minimum amount of time on the origin story, just enough for anyone who might not know "man get angry, man turn green". We get a decent story about Bruce trying and failing to cure himself.

Ruffalo is great, but Norton pulls off "Bruce the genius" a lot better, and I do wish Norton hadn't burned his bridges and had come back.

I'm still a bit shocked that with all the little hooks in this film that the MCU has just ignored, they brought back Ross. They didn't have to. Anyone could have filled his role in Civil War. I'm doubly surprised they brought him back given they also introduced Everett Ross in the same film. If there's one scene I wish we had gotten in Infinity War, it's for Ross's hologram-call to Rhody to have lasted a bit longer so Bruce could walk in and Ross see that he's back.

There's a shot during the fight on the college campus where Hulk is just flying across the field, and I can't remember any of the other movies really showing off that the Hulk is REALLY, REALLY fast.
I genuinely love the stuff with Norton on the road, trying to survive. It's the Hulk stuff that kinda bores me.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
My GF hasn't seen much stuff outside of Phase 1 and she wants to get caught up but I think at this point we don't have the time for a full rewatch. What would yall say are 5 Endgame-essential MCU movies that are Post Avengers 1? (Not including Infinity War)

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Man I started doing this with my wife, got through to cap1 then stopped for weeks lol watched avengers last night though.

We want to watch every origin story and every movie with the stone or leads directly into IW/Endgame, which we realize is pretty much all of them except iron man 3 and GotG2 lol

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
My GF hasn't seen much stuff outside of Phase 1 and she wants to get caught up but I think at this point we don't have the time for a full rewatch. What would yall say are 5 Endgame-essential MCU movies that are Post Avengers 1? (Not including Infinity War)
Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2
Captain America Civil War
Thor Ragnarok (ending of Ragnarok is the beginning of Infinity War)

Those are the ones I'd go with.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oof.

Five movies out of what, the 15 after Avengers? That's a tall order, but I'll try, keeping in mind that we have zero idea what bases will be touched in Endgame.

My stab in the dark:
Captain America The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Age of Ultron
Thor Ragnarok

This list is... oof. You're still missing critical stuff here.

If you can, add on:
Ant-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Doctor Strange
Spider-man Homecoming

Maybe even Black Panther and Iron Man 3. And Captain Marvel.

Damn you, Feige!

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Can probably skip phase 1. Good as it is, Avengers 1 does a great job getting you caught up.

If you had to go down to just 5, I would go with....

Avengers
Age of Ultron
Civil War
Thor Ragnarok
Guardians 1 or 2

You get to know every player in Infinity War just from these films, minus Captain Marvel, which is still in theaters.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Gonna have to make it 6

Winter Soldier
Age of Ultron (not among a lot of peoples' favorites, but there's some key lore stuff)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (maybe the easiest of these to cut but there's key stuff for acouple central characters)
Civil War
Thor Ragnarok

But even then, stuff like Ant-Man and the Wasp may end up being pretty key, it's hard to know yet

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
(also Jesus, I just realized Stark's second meeting with Everhart was him dearly afraid that the reporter had the news that she was pregnant from their encounter.)
Yeah, I only just realized this the last time I rewatched it.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier
Ultron
Civil War
Thor Ragnarok

edit:
My stab in the dark:
Captain America The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Age of Ultron
Thor Ragnarok
Yeah, exactly my list lol.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier
Ultron
Civil War
Thor Ragnarok

edit:

Yeah, exactly my list lol.
Same for me. Except I'd swap out Guardians 1 for Guardians 2. You get to know the full cast equally well in both movies. Vol 2 has the benefit of including Mantis. But, most importantly, Gamora and Nebula, the most important Guardians characters for IW & Endgame, get way more relevant character development in Vol 2. Their relationship is an important part of IW and for that Vol 2 is more important than Vol 1. Since Nebula survives IW, I think you can safely assume that the Gamora-Nebula-Thanos relationship will be important in Endgame as well.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Same for me. Except I'd swap out Guardians 1 for Guardians 2. You get to know the full cast equally well in both movies. Vol 2 has the benefit of including Mantis. But, most importantly, Gamora and Nebula, the most important Guardians characters for IW & Endgame, get way more relevant character development in Vol 2. Their relationship is an important part of IW and for that Vol 2 is more important than Vol 1. Since Nebula survives IW, I think you can safely assume that the Gamora-Nebula-Thanos relationship will be important in Endgame as well.
I much prefer Guardians 2 but I can't swap out since Guardians 1 explains the Infinity Stones with a big focus on one and features Thanos.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I much prefer Guardians 2 but I can't swap out since Guardians 1 explains the Infinity Stones with a big focus on one and features Thanos.
Eh, the Infinity Stones get explained again in IW. And Thanos' appearance in Guardians is pretty irrelevant to the larger plot, as far as I remember. Since the MCU is so character-focused, I'd still go for Vol 2.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
If the latest 'special look' for Avengers: Endgame is any indication, then you should definitely go with GotG1 instead of GotG2, only because we might revisit some familiar places from that movie.

The focus on Gamora and Nebula in GotG2 is a good thing though. Try not to skip any of them.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
MCU Rewatch Day 3: Ironman 2

Not much to say on this one. I think it's the worst MCU movie. It's just pretty boring. Whiplash was an underwhelming villain played by a great actor and it's just a big letdown overall.

That suitcase suit was amazing looking though.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this was already discussed, but man does Ultron really telegraph what to expect in both Infinity War and (I'm assuming) in Endgame! Soooo much foreshadowing happens there...I can't believe I missed the really blatant bits. I really hope folks aren't thelling those that are trying to catch up to skip over it.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this was already discussed, but man does Ultron really telegraph what to expect in both Infinity War and (I'm assuming) in Endgame! Soooo much foreshadowing happens there...I can't believe I missed the really blatant bits. I really hope folks aren't thelling those that are trying to catch up to skip over it.

I watched it over the weekend and enjoyed it WAY more in retrospect. I really hated on it when I saw it the first time too.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I made a thread about this a while ago. Ultron is really enhanced by what came after.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Recently rewatched all of the MCU movies. Here's my list going into Endgame:

Top Tier:

Infinity War
Winter Soldier
Civil War
Thor Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy

Near Top/High Tier:

Avengers
Black Panther
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Spider Man Homecoming
Antman

Mid Tier:

Dr Strange
Avengers Age of Ultron
Captain America First Avenger
Captain Marvel
Antman and the Wasp

Low Tier:

Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Thor
Incredible Hulk
Thor Dark World

Movies are generally in order within tiers. As you can tell I am a huge fan of the 3 Russo bros movies and definitely consider Infinity War to be the peak of MCU (but the best standalone MCU movie is probably still Winter Soldier).

Random notes:

There were far less quips in the earlier Marvel movies than the later one. Even going from Civil War (which I enjoyed a lot this time around) to IW, CW is much less on quips/jokes than IW.

Kinda strange how mediocre the Ironman trilogy has been given he is almost the poster boy of the MCU. IM3 is practically non-existent when it comes to the big picture, they pretty much ignore it as early as a single movie later.

First two Thor movies are still pretty mediocre/bad. Dark World had a lot of potential to be dark cosmic fantasy with Dark Elves and stuff but huge missed opportunity.

Generally speaking, the overall average quality of the movies increased as they went on. Like when you compare the early Incredible Hulk, First Avenger, Thor, Iron man 2 to Infinity War, Civil War, Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnarok etc. it's amazing to see how far they have come.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Infinity War
  • Civil War
  • Guardians Vol. 1
  • Ant-Man & The Wasp
  • Captain Marvel

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty strong list. I would only make a couple modifications to my own.

Top Tier:

Infinity War

Near Top/High Tier:

Thor Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy

Above Average Tier:

Avengers
Black Panther
Iron Man
Winter Soldier
Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Spider Man Homecoming
Antman

Mid Tier:

Dr Strange
Avengers Age of Ultron
Captain America First Avenger
Captain Marvel
Antman and the Wasp

Low Tier:

Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Thor
Incredible Hulk
Thor Dark World

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Infinity War is THE most important one going into Endgame but aside from that. But we have to actually see Endgame before making a definitive list.

Tier 1 (Essential Tier)

Age of Ultron (Mostly for Vision and Scarlet Witch but this is for IW, less for Endgame IMO. Has Mind Stone in it. AoU itself doesn't lead that much into IW but it leads heavily into Civil War)

Civil War (this is the movie that you should watch to see the end "status quo" of the Avengers that remain on earth. The consequences of Civil War lead into IW and they matter probably in Endgame too)

GOTG 1&2 (both of these at some level play well into IW/Endgame mostly for setting up the characters. GOTG1 is more important for IW but GOTG2 is more important for Endgame because of Nebula. GOTG1 has the location of the Power stone.)

Thor Ragnarok (Thor's journey/development in IW is a big deal that carries over from Thor Ragnorak, it also leads directly into IW. Has the final location of the Space stone. Some returning characters from Thor Ragnorak might be in play for Endgame as well like Valkyrie)

Tier 2 (Watch if you have seen Tier 1 and have time)

Dr Strange (sets up Dr Strange as a character and establishes the Time stone aka Eye of Agomatto. This is more for IW than Endgame IMO).

Antman and the Wasp (sets up Quantum Realm stuff that will be relevant in Endgame however IMO you should just want the end credit scene for Antman 2)

Captain Marvel (sets up Captain Marvel who might be a big deal in Endgame and ties into how SHIELD gets their hand on the Space stone initially before it is taken by Loki. Aside from Captain Marvel and maybe some stuff with Kree/Skrull, this is not really that essential)

Captain America Winter Soldier (Endgame seems to heavily be focused around Captain America and this is a great Captain America in current time movie. Also establishes the Winter Soldier/Bucky character who may factor into Endgame. But if you are going to watch Winter Soldier then you probably have to watch Captain America First Avenger too. But IMO Captain America's journey is going to play a major part in Endgame so to get the emotional beats, you really want to see a lot of Captain America's movies though Civil War could be enough)

Tier 3 (Read synopsis/summary and/or watch end credit scene)

Thor Dark World (has location of Reality stone aka the Ether but other than that it's a non sense MCU movie that is best ignored. The Reality stone barely even functions the same as it does in IW. You can probably just watch the end credit scenes of Thor Dark World to know that Thor drops the Reality stone with the Collector who resides in Knowhere).

Captain America First Avenger (for Red Skull, Tesseract and Captain America's origin story. Endgame seems to be very much about the initial Avengers especially Captain America and their journey leading up to this point)

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recs y'all. She said she liked cap the most out of the stuff she's seen, but she's never seen any of his solo movies, so I made a pretty cap-centric list. Here's what I came up with. There's probably some stuff I'm leaving out that's more endgame specific, so we'll watch stuff like Thor or Ant Man and the Wasp if we have time.

Captain America 1
Avengers 1
Iron Man 3

Captain America 2
Avengers 2

Guardians 1
Guardians 2
Infinity War

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Got my ticket for 25th, still bummed I missed the midnight ticket sale for wednesday night, but at least I will not need to find excuses for work -.-

Can't wait for this movie, not watching anything past this point.

edit: Oh this isn't the thread I thought it would be lol.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recs y'all. She said she liked cap the most out of the stuff she's seen, but she's never seen any of his solo movies, so I made a pretty cap-centric list. Here's what I came up with. There's probably some stuff I'm leaving out that's more endgame specific, so we'll watch stuff like Thor or Ant Man and the Wasp if we have time.

Captain America 1
Avengers 1
Iron Man 3

Captain America 2
Avengers 2

Guardians 1
Guardians 2
Infinity War
Definitely skip Iron Man 3 and replace with Thor Ragnarok. Not only is Thor Ragnorak a better movie, it is far more pertinent to IW/Endgame. IM3 is one of the most (if not THE most) inconsequential movies in the MCU storywise. And you want to watch Thor Ragnorak right before IW as the ending of Thor Ragnorak leads directly into IW.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Do you think we're going to see the entire first page of the forum be nothing but MCU related threads one day? It's hilarious how many there are (I even made one today lol). I know it's probably annoying to non-Marvel users, but I'd take an influx of MCU threads over Trump any day of the week.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think we're going to see the entire first page of the forum be nothing but MCU related threads one day? It's hilarious how many there are (I even made one today lol). I know it's probably annoying to non-Marvel users, but I'd take an influx of MCU threads over Trump any day of the week.
I don't mind it at all. I welcome all mcu threads.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

Captain America 1
Avengers 1
Iron Man 3

Captain America 2
Avengers 2

Guardians 1
Guardians 2
Infinity War
That's a really great list in preparation for Endgame. You can skip Iron Man 3, but I assume y'all just really wanna watch it.

And there's really no need of watching Ant-Man and the Wasp for Endgame. Just know the quantum realm exist between the molecules and you need to go super tiny to enter it. And you can just watch the mid credits scene on YouTube right here:

When it comes to Iron Man 2, that's the one guilty pleasure I have in the MCU. I just about like everything about it but Tony Stark coming up with a new element.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Captain America 1
Avengers 1
Iron Man 3

Captain America 2
Avengers 2

Guardians 1
Guardians 2
Infinity War
I'd say Thor Ragnarok is pretty important for Infinity War (1 and 2 are skippable)

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Definitely skip Iron Man 3 and replace with Thor Ragnarok. Not only is Thor Ragnorak a better movie, it is far more pertinent to IW/Endgame. IM3 is one of the most (if not THE most) inconsequential movies in the MCU storywise. And you want to watch Thor Ragnorak right before IW as the ending of Thor Ragnorak leads directly into IW.

His PTSD which still haunts him to this day tho

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
MCU Rewatch Day 4: Thor

6IWwfWc.gif

I think this is the most underrated MCU film of them all, and arguably the best looking MCU film (Asgard is gorgeous in this movie). I loved Ragnarok, but didn't like all the "finally they made a good Thor movie" hot takes. Whoever said "let's get the Shakespeare guy to direct and the Babylon 5 guy to write" was brilliant.

Story is a whole lot of fun, and a nice arc for Thor. I enjoyed the story on Earth, and even thought Jane was a good foil for Thor in this film. And, liek I said, the movie is just great to look at. Even some of the stuff on Earth, like the SHIELD installation around the crater, makes for fun set pieces.

It's unfortunate that the Warriors 3 never got their due in the film series.

And that Theme Song is amazing.