• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Originally found this on a whim on Netflix and surprisingly left a very lasting impression. I've rewatched it three times now and this one really just came out of nowhere for me.

The acting's actually pretty good given the cast, at least they're not anyone I've seen before but more importantly the premise itself is creepy as fuck. The forest has an exceedingly evil presence, the buildup from first entering the forest to everything that happens to each character is intense, the cinematography is fantastic, and the creature design is incredibly unique and menacing.

It's still on Netflix now so highly recommend if you're looking for some real scares.

Edit: The 2017 film.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
DjYVRMC.png

I THINK you are talking about the 2017 one but you need to be more specific

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those movies that's really incredible for the first like 2/3 and then just completely falls apart for me at the end. All that tension built up in the forest was excellent, and the uncertainty and constant hallucinations leading you to not know what's real or not. Really good shit.

it's a shame the ending is really flat, the whole thing feels super rushed after the beginning takes its time. Also I thought the cult was lame and the creature design was straight up comical

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very, very good horror movie. It reminded me of the scariness of the forest again and it can be fucking scary.. The ending is batshit insane.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
oh THIS movie, yes......this whole movie was fantastic. Was really hoping to them them dig even deeper into that lore and stuff. It clearly can be taken even further. The ending is amazing!

Jotunn

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
It was okay. I liked The Platform more in terms of Netflix horror and It Comes At Night more in terms of psychological horror

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Another Netflix horror movie worth checking out is Apostle, it's not a crowd pleaser but boy did I enjoy the hell out of it - a horror movie from the director of the Raid movies. A nice slow burn, Wickerman-esque thriller with some very crazy supernatural shit

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go that far, but it was surprisingly entertaining for how cliche riddled it was. Enjoyable 6/10. Neat monster, too.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'll vouch for this one being totally solid and also Rituals (1977) is a great post-Deliverance "rich assholes in the great outdoors get more than they bargained for" thriller.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The movie's like a 6.5 or 7/10 but the creature design is a solid 9.5.
Yeah for real. I remember someone posted the still in the spoiler below in some thread on here and it immediately made me want to watch it and that ended up being the only aspect I particularly enjoyed. Some of the parts where you see it moving through the trees are great too...but the movie kinda sucks as a whole lol
The-Ritual-Jotunn-Creature.jpg

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I must be in the minority with hating the creature design. I thought it was just wildly silly looking, like a giraffe made of corpses
I think it's the strange combination of elements that does it for me.

(creature spoilers) You've got that big giraffe body and it's like OK, fine. Then you look up where its head should be, and you get a human torso with its head chopped off and antlers for arms. And the actual head is down low between the forelegs, peering at you like a creature in a cave and dangling a set of arms.

I think the moment where it does that weird pose, when the guy is pretending to surrender or whatever in the forest, really sells it. It rears up and spreads those humanoid arms on his giant midsection like some demonic totem pole.

It's a good and weird design that incorporates a number of unsettling elements into one bizarre mythical creature with freakish but plausible anatomy.

Yeah for real. I remember someone posted the still in the spoiler below in some thread on here and it immediately made me want to watch it and that ended up being the only aspect I particularly enjoyed. Some of the parts where you see it moving through the trees are great too...but the movie kinda sucks as a whole lol
The-Ritual-Jotunn-Creature.jpg
I forgot how crazy it looks in profile. Definitely a super memorable creature design.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I really liked the buildup. Felt truly as if they were meddling with forces far beyond them that, initially, didn't require a whole lot of suspension of disbelief.

Edit: Damnit I'm thinking about another film. One where a woman hires a dude to perform an occultic ceremony so she could be with her dead child or something.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, The Ritual is fantastic. It's what a non-found footage Blair Witch Project should've been.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's an enjoyable film, but with a masterpiece of a creature design.

Oh damn, I should definitely rewatch the descent. Haven't seen it since it came out but remember really loving it.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
the first half was really good but like others have said it kinda loses steam in the second. the final chase sequence with the forest blending with the liquor store was incredible though

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
It was a ok. Definitely some of the hallucinations were cool and the monster design was spectacular.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
OP if you haven't watch the wailing from 2016 you should . It's a horror masterpiece and will keep you guessing untill the end.

Jun 22, 2019
I thought it was an amazing creature design in a mediocre and unremarkable movie. I was disproportionately disappointed because the monster deserved to be in something better. I didn't care for the first half of the film whatsoever either, and I usually really dig people hiking through forests.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
It bothered me that the forest looked nothing like forests in the location they're supposed to be in (northern sweden).

Otherwise it was solid.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely wouldn't say it's bad, but i'd also say that the monster design was by far the coolest thing about it