• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When did this happen? Why did it explode?

Even when the old site was a thing it was never used. I've never heard of it up until a year ago or so (not the actual word, but the common usage as a negative connotation in forums, YouTube comments etc)

How do you feel about the word? Does it annoy you? Do you use it?

Personally, I don't use it. I find it... Idk, I can't even put a word to it but it definitely annoys me when seeing "yikes" as an entire response to something.

Thoughts?

(Please don't use yikes as a response to this or else)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
532129145635995648.png

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes is great. I feel like I started getting heavy playback on Twitter about 2 1/2 years ago.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get my hot take out as fast as possible, and so far one word showing disapproval is the best

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I thought "yikes" and "oof" were some Gen Z Twitter lingo. Or maybe Scooby Doo is enjoying a resurgence?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I agree OP. I get annoyed by "yikes", as well as "welp."

And if we're talking about internet vernacular, another one that annoys me is turning a statement into a question by ending with with ", no?"

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's saying something without actually saying anything. It's a spineless word people use when they don't actually have anything good or interesting to say.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
It seems to be reserved for people who have nothing of value to add but desperate to add their disapproval. One of many internet buzz words/phrases that allow people to say something without having to actually express themselves and articulate a sentence.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It was fun to say a few years ago but it's been run into the ground by now. Still way better than oof though.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've blocked people on this site for a badly placed "yikes".

I'm truly becoming an old man, no patience left.