• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Empire Cloud City comes close but Jedi takes all...

MisguidedAbsoluteFallowdeer-size_restricted.gif

This is so great. Star Wars movies are always talking about hate and anger in the abstract but watching Luke just whaling on Vader again and again with that look in his eyes, you FEEL it.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Luke vs Kylo Ren/Ben Solo on Crait in TLJ, especially since it's basically the ultimate example of how a Jedi should fight.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Rey and Kylo in Snoke's throne room for me, my god that was so good.

I also love Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul, Duel of the Fates really hits that one home.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough love for the anakin va obi wan fight in sith. Yeah it's over the top but damn if it doesn't hit me heavy with that John Williams music.

You were my brother Anakin!

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 8: Throne Room (Rey, Kylo and the Praetorian Guards)

Special Mention: Episode 3: Mustafar (Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Can we specify that this is only for the mainline films to eliminate confusion, and then make a separate thread for all other canon Star Wars media?

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
I loved the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel in III. I love that movie despite the flaws it has, and the emotion during that scene gets to me every time. I loved it all, even though it is admittedly a little dumb. But it's all just dumb fun.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RoTJ Throne Room than TLJ Kylo vs Luke.

I'm surprised nobody has started posting gifs of the praetorian guard fight to explain why people shouldn't like that fight

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Obi-wan vs Vader in RotS. Not even much of a contest in my mind, TBH.

ESB and RotJ are okay but held back by the age. Some of the ST is alright and I enjoy Kylo's more heavy combat, but it never got quite as good as the PT stuff.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
1. Luke vs Vader (Throne Room)
2. Luke vs Vader (Cloud City)
3. Kylo Ren vs Rey (Death Star Ruins)
4. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul (Naboo)

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Luke/Vader Throne Room in RotJ is probably the best scene in the franchise, so uh that one. Followup is ESB for all of the character details interwoven throughout the duel like Vader not trying and Luke's fear.
Empire Cloud City comes close but Jedi takes all...

MisguidedAbsoluteFallowdeer-size_restricted.gif
Throne Room is the best precisely for that moment with Williams going ham.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm surprised at all the votes for Luke vs kylo in TLJ. It wasn't even a fucking lightsaber fight. Luke stood there, kylo made one move and realized it was a ghost. End of battle.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nothing beats the Darth Maul fight. Nostalgia be damned it is still amazing. John William's "Duel of the Fates" is just too perfect.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Anakin vs Obi Wan on Mustafar or Luke vs Vader in ROTJ

The prequels in general to me had some amazing lightsaber battles even if some hate them. Whereas I thought the actual lightsaber battles that exist in the ST went in a bit more grounded direction than the all out lightsaber battles of the prequels.

Vader vs ObiWan in ANH is the worst by a country mile and just horribly out of place if you watch the movies in chronological order.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Obi-Wan vs Anakin will always be my favorite duel ever. Yes, there is a lot of pointless swinging around but honestly nothing beats the sheer emotional backstory to that fight, like I know that the throne room in TLJ looks cool and all but this is a master against his apprentice whom he basically raised.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Obi-Wan vs. Anakin closely followed by Wan&Qui vs. Maul

Throne Room was the most stylish. Vader vs. Luke in Empire the most atmospheric.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My top two or three have been mentioned a bunch, but I'll give a shout out to the Rey/Kylo fight on the Death Star wreck in TROS. One of the parts of the film I liked a lot tbh.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
1)Darth Maul. Just a beautiful scene from the use of the forced pauses in the fight, the use of force powers on the fly, the music? Mua

2)Rey/Ren Throne room. Probably best choreographed as a whole

3)Luke getting owned by Vadar. Like it was said above, the stakes felt higher and was great with tension

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Honestly I'm surprised at all the votes for Luke vs kylo in TLJ. It wasn't even a fucking lightsaber fight. Luke stood there, kylo made one move and realized it was a ghost. End of battle.
The TLJ ones are either too overly choreographed like the TLJ Throne Room or not long enough or visceral like the Luke/Kylo one. TFA has the best lightsaber duel in the ST precisely because of how worn out Kylo is and the emotions he brings to the table.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Luke vs Kylo.

Big emotional moment with Luke passing, Luke embracing the true meaning of being a Jedi by not actually fighting, the great twist of Luke not even actually being there, and it's visually stunning.

It's an absolutely fantastic "fight"

Luke vs Vader in Return of the Jedi and Rey vs Kylo in Force Awakens are close contenders, but Luke vs Kylo is just the perfect storm.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised at the TLJ Throne Room mentions. Not only does the choreography fall apart a bit on repeat viewings, but there's no emotion watching Rey and Kylo kill faceless goons.

To me the best SW fights have to have a layer of some sort of drama.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

luke dodged a lot of it, but mostly it works because the fight is the most idealized Jedi fight. It also helps that it has really strong emotional beats throughout.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
I'm surprised at the Throne Room mentions. Not only does the choreography fall apart a bit on repeat viewings, but there's no emotion watching Rey and Kylo kill faceless goons.

To me the best SW fights have to have a layer of some sort of pathos.
Don't forget disappearing knife with the goons

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm surprised at the Throne Room mentions. Not only does the choreography fall apart a bit on repeat viewings, but there's no emotion watching Rey and Kylo kill faceless goons.

I'm hoping the people mentioning Throne Room are all referencing RotJ.

Either this or ESB are absolutely still king.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Anakin vs kenobi: revenge of the sith
Rey vs kylo: Rise of skywalker (water scene)
Kenobi and Qui vs darth maul: phantom menace

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised at the TLJ Throne Room mentions. Not only does the choreography fall apart a bit on repeat viewings, but there's no emotion watching Rey and Kylo kill faceless goons.

It was one of the biggest twists in the movie plus Rey and Kylo joining forces. How is that not "drama"? It's one of the best if not the best scene in all ST movies IMO.

Frigid Eh

Oct 28, 2017
Not enough love for the anakin va obi wan fight in sith. Yeah it's over the top but damn if it doesn't hit me heavy with that John Williams music.

You were my brother Anakin!

Agreed, this is the most emotional for me. Especially after watching the clone wars, that line hits really hard.

Oct 27, 2017

I would disagree as I thought that there was a lot of emotion going on there. At that point Kylo had just made his stance clear on wanting to be his own person, and Rey saw that as an opportunity to bring him back to the light. Of course both of those things would be quickly overshadowed but for that brief moment they were absolutely working together, darkness and light combined into an ambiguity of potential of what could happen next.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PT - Anakin vs Obiwan ROTS
OT - Throne room ROTJ
ST - Rey vs Kylo in TFA? Winner by default

Dec 2, 2017
Either Obi-Wan and Qui Gon against Maul in Episode I or Obi-Wan against Anakin in Episode III. I just love the fights in the Prequels. They all feel so grandiose and flashy.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I would disagree as I thought that there was a lot of emotion going on there. At that point Kylo had just made his stance clear on wanting to be his own person, and Rey saw that as an opportunity to bring him back to the light. Of course both of those things would be quickly overshadowed but for that brief moment they were absolutely working together, darkness and light combined into an ambiguity of potential of what could happen next.

I'm talking about the opponents. The best SW fights have internal conflicts between the two opposing sides.

You don't have that when Rey and Kylo are taking down mute goons who we know nothing about. It's the same reason why I don't rank the Darth Maul fight in TPM that high, he never exchanges any words with the heroes and has no true conflict with them other than "kill the jedi."

It's style over substance.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Either Obi-Wan and Qui Gon against Maul in Episode I or Obi-Wan against Anakin in Episode III. I just love the fights in the Prequels. They all feel so grandiose and flashy.
True. Yoda vs. Sidious is also great when they wreck the whole senate. Very impactful and symbolic.

Sidious vs. Maul and Savage in clone wars was also great. Sidious just feels so OP. A part of me was actually hoping that we get Sidious vs. Rey and Kylo at the end of Episode 9 but yeah that might have been a bit too much xD

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about the opponents. The best SW fights have internal conflicts between the two opposing sides.

You don't have that when Rey and Kylo are taking down mute goons who we know nothing about. It's the same reason why I don't rank the Darth Maul fight in TPM that high, he never exchanges any words with the heroes and has no true conflict with them other than "kill the jedi."

It's style over substance.

I don't know if I agree that you have to have a connection with the enemy you're fighting directly, what you're saying makes sense and I actually agree about the fight with Darth Maul and I never thought much of it either, but I think the context of TLJ actually worked for the scene they're doing even if they are faceless goons. The connection was transcending the opponents, it was all emotion and energy about the entire situation, they just needed to dispatch a mutual enemy first. Like I said, what you're saying makes sense but I guess it didn't bother me in that context.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Empire Strikes Back Luke vs. Vader on Bespin is the best one imo.

Also the Throne Room fight in Last Jedi is pretty shitty if you look at the guards they are just waiting and doing random shit until its their turn.

Its not Dark Knight Rises levels of bad but still.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anakin vs Obi-Wan. At least the first half of it. Closely followed by... Luke vs Vader RotJ edition.
Snoke's throne room fight is great too.
Honorable mention to Yoda vs Sidious for how wacky as shit it was.