• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Critics seem to be lambasting JJ for doing different things than what TLJ set up, but TLJ also did its own things differently than what TFA set up. To me, this seems more of an issue of having different directors/writers that have very different ideas of what they enjoy or want from Star Wars.
When did TFA indicate her parents were special?

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ben just falls over, disappears, and we immediately get a transition to another scene
....of his mother disappearing into the Force as well...

Ya'll are reaching with this shit.

Obi was struck down, but he clearly disappeared into the force before Vader's lightsaber even touched him. Go ahead, go watch it again.

Yoda died of old age, and then....DISAPPEARED INTO THE FORCE.

Like why are you all hung up on this, it's been scene in the movies before, many many times.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It makes absolutely no fucking sense for Rey to take on the Skywalker name when her parents were actually good people who tried to save her. What a fucking mess this movie was .
I actually didn't mind that, it was extremely predictable (insofar as it has been literally predicted for years lol) but I thought it was a nice touch. Think it's problematic for Rey's day to day life though if she introduces her as Rey Palpatine! Especially since no one else knows that reveal happened (right?) so why tell her friends and new family that she's actually a blood relation to the biggest monster in the galaxy.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It makes absolutely no fucking sense for Rey to take on the Skywalker name when her parents were actually good people who tried to save her. What a fucking mess this movie was .
Would you walk around calling yourself a Hitler if your parents tried to save you from your grandfather Hitler and you hated him?

Probably not, because that happened and they didn't.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Obi was struck down, but he clearly disappeared into the force before Vader's lightsaber even touched him. Go ahead, go watch it again.

Like why are you all hung up on this, it's been scene in the movies before, many many times.

This is Era, no one is ever happy here unless they're talking about Souls games.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

We explained to you why it being done this way was worse than the other times. You just disagree. But plenty of people think it was hilariously bad. In like the span of a minute and a half we get the reveal that kylo isn't dead, that rey is dead, that he brought rey to life, that she wakes up and kisses him, and then he falls over and disappears. In literally like a minute and a half scene. Its absurd.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing. The knights of ren were absolutely USELESS. Weren't they supposed to be kids from the jedi academy too? None of them used the force, no one had light sabers. Instead all they did was walk around.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this movie with six other people and we all really liked it. I have a feeling it will do well with audiences.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I feel like she should have been a great granddaughter. Like how does that timing work? How old are Rey and Ben? When was Sheev blasting out kids? It would have had to be between Episode I and II right?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I no longer no how the force works. People teleporting shit. Kinda makes you wonder why they ever need space travel again. Have one force user hanging out on each planet and you can just teleport people between them.

Also, dude if you could just MAKE planet-destroying cannons and strap them to the bottom of Star Destroyers, why did you need a massive space station with 1 cannon that requires a full day to charge?

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
I enjoyed TLJ but felt like it was disappointing as a sequel to TFA in regards to its scope , handling of some major characters, and how it failed to move the plot forward. The first part of this movie felt so rushed that it made me think about how much better it would have been if TLJ had been trimmed and combined with part of this movie.

Bringing Palpatine in near the end of TLJ after Snoke is killed, and having Kylo confront Luke about the Sith waypoint finder he researched would have created more of a hook for the sequel and improved the sense of continuity.

The movie was good as fan service and having lots of action, and I am glad that Harrison Ford came back. They did a good job of redeeming Kylo, but the kiss was completely uncalled for. It seemed like more than 80% of my theater groaned or yelled at the screen when it happened.
Completely agree with you! The story in this trilogy isn't well spread out. The crawl literally starts with what should have been the end of TLJ

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I was younger, I read the young jedi knights EU books. They had a character named Zekk, who was kind of a love interest to Han & Leia's daughter. He goes bad but they eventually redeem him. My favorite EU character of all time.

That happened in like, my formative narrative years, so for whatever reason I love that trope. Kylo Ren is basically big-screen Zekk.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah doing that in a comic would be awful, I definitely want them saving it for a movie if that happens.

I think his death was one of the worst executed scenes in the movie. He just doesn't say anything and then fades away. Then Rey seems a little too happy afterwards.

The biggest issue is whether Adam Driver would be okay with erasing his death scene.

If it was impactful, I'd say no, but it's written almost as an afterthought so maybe.

I know Adam likes playing Ben Solo and would like to keep playing him and Rian like writing Ben Solo.

Speaking to Empire magazine, Rian said: "Writing Kylo Ren is just so much fun. 'Star Wars' boils down to the transition from adolescence into adulthood. That's the heart of these films and Rey is most obviously the one that hangs on. But it's also Kylo.

So here's hoping that Rian is writing a Ben Solo trilogy or have him involved in his trilogy somehow.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There were really great character moments stuck in a pretty stupid overall plot. It felt like JJ was trying to have his own episode 8 and 9 simultaneously. The being the grandchild reveal was very anticlimactic.

Also, I should never feel bad about plot contrivances I make in games I work on. I mean, I will, but apparently I shouldn't.

Oct 25, 2017
"You get the force! You get the force! Everybody gets the force!"

I wouldn't have been surprised if Rick and Morty showed up in the movie.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Just got back from seeing it. Well that certainly was one big, dumb fucking 'keep it in the family' Space Opera finale and I couldn't be happier. I feel like JJ read my mind and made this movie just for me. I imagine most others will hate it. Sorry about that, guys!

Oct 28, 2017
I actually wouldn't say the movie is bad per se, but I strongly disagree that it worked. A few elements sorta worked for me. The handling of Ben Solo being the standout and Daisy was very strong but the plotting is an absolute joke. Things just happen because they need to. Honestly I thought Roberto Orci and Kurtzman wrote this shit.

Where did Palpatine come from? Doesn't matter. Fuck it!

Where did the super star destroyers with the Death Star lasers come from? Doesn't matter: Fuck it!

What was the actual objective at the end of the movie? Doesn't matter: Fuck it!

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
This one is hard to process, overall felt crammed with story revelations.
a lot of easy way out to introduce new characters (Lando, Palpatine) and plot points. The last battle was disappointing, quick actions and no real emotional moments hit for me

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Can't tell you how many weird looks I got when I laughed hysterically at Ben dying. Good lord was that hilarious and had to have been JJ's intent. Up until that point i didn't completely hate it, it was just pretty bad. But at that point, this thing went to another level.
Also people will cheer and clap at the stupidest shit and i hate marvel movies for normalizing this shit. No you don't need to whistle bc Harrison ford appeared on screen.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Yes...only this came after an incredibly bad scene where nazis boy gets to have a romantic kiss with rey, and then just dies for no real explicit reason. Not only did it look awful, but the context was as well. So many people in my theater were cracking up

I agree the kiss was weird, but the reason for his death was super explicit.

We see Rey heal wounded creatures and we see that the act inflicts real damage on her. She describes it as a transfer of life force.

So if healing an injured worm creature has a small effect on a force user, healing death surely has a larger effect.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Loved both TFA and TLJ and thought this was a huge clunker.

So many audible groans and laughs during "serious" parts of this. A lot of it just didn't land properly :/

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest issue is whether Adam Driver would be okay with erasing his death scene.

If it was impactful, I'd say no, but it's written almost as an afterthought so maybe.
Yeah. Again, I really like most of the movie but I thought at least watching it the first time that his death was one of the most poorly executed scenes. It's not like undoing Tony's perfect death scene in Endgame.

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So disappointing. I genuinely loved TLJ, while also recognizing it had a few moments that didn't work (Everything Kylo/Rey/Luke was perfection to me though). This movie was obviously written to "fix" things that didn't need fixing and went full bore into nostalgia bait overload. It seriously sucks to see this trilogy go out on such a creatively bankrupt note.

I feel like some aspects of this movie i disliked could work if the pacing wasn't so wildly off-kilter and the movie stopped for a few minutes to let things breathe and characters to react. As well as doing a LOT more showing than telling. Geez the exposition in this movie was sloppy.

Rey being a Palpatine was a massive misfire. It doesn't feel organic to the story at all and actively undermines my favourite moment from TLJ. :(

Kylo's redemption just didn't work for me at all. The kiss made me squirm in my seat. Just WTF were they thinking. I legit think it is one of the worst Star Wars moments ever.

Rose getting done dirty seriously pissed me off. Yes, her adoration of Finn was one-sided. Why not actually build on that and acknowledge their relationship from the last film? Instead they introduce a new, woefully underdeveloped, character to interact with Finn, to an already jam packed film. Finn had a clear character arc in TLJ. In this movie he he felt like window dressing (like Rose :/).

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So....did Palpatine fuck before or after he became a wrinkly monster man?
source.gif

Han moment = heard gasps and a "holy shit"
Kiss = many bits of laughter
My theater got groans and giggling when Rey and Ben kissed and a few gasps when the two women kissed.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Oooof. Well, that was certainly a movie.

It's like a bunch of ideas thrown into a blender. The overall ending to the Skywalker legacy is well done but the journey to get there is.... I don't think I like it. It's too stuck living in the OT while clearly afraid to do anything new.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Critics seem to be lambasting JJ for doing different things than what TLJ set up, but TLJ also did its own things differently than what TFA set up. To me, this seems more of an issue of having different directors/writers that have very different ideas of what they enjoy or want from Star Wars.
TLJ is really not that sharp of a departure from TFA. People will for instance criticize the depiction of Luke in that movie but that doesn't contradict anything established about him in TFA; it actually builds directly off what we do know about Luke, as told by Han. TROS actively works against things that TLJ set up, most clearly in Rey's origin and the overall theme of anyone can be the hero of their story.

The OT all had different writers and directors. The PT had one writer/director. The issue isn't the number of creatives involved, that doesn't guarantee any kind of consistency or continuity. One person can fuck up his own stuff and a team of people can find ways to fit different pieces by different authors together. I think the issue is that, despite public comments to the contrary, JJ straight up either did not like or did not get Rian's take and wanted to reassert what he wanted for VIII (which I think we can safely guess would've been about Luke hunting for Palpatine, and perhaps retreating to Ach-To to search for the knowledge of Exogol's whereabouts) onto this movie, and it's at best a pretty awkward fit.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree the kiss was weird, but the reason for his death was super explicit.

We see Rey heal wounded creatures and we see that the act inflicts real damage on her. She describes it as a transfer of life force.

So if healing an injured worm creature has a small effect on a force user, healing death surely has a larger effect.
But Rey healed him from death like 20 minutes prior. Unless stabbing someone through the chest with a lightsaber isn't death anymore, though that is news to me in this universe haha

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Holy shit wait did JJ just forget about what FInn was trying to say to rey that they kept coming back to but never actually answered?

She should have answered with Rey, just Rey. Because the skywalkers are losers in this franchise and she is far better than any of them. It would have been a better fit thematically with what Rian was going for. Jesus I'm arguing for TLJ. What has this movie done to me.
Finn was going to tell her that he can feel the force. He explains it later in the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.