• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Just gotten home from seeing it.

it was ok. better then tlj, nowhere near as good as tfa.

Kind felt somehow both rushed and too long. It felt like a film where about 30% of it should have happened in a previous film that had palpatines voice as a cliffhanger, rather then as a footnote.
I enjoyed palps force storm and laughed at all the Dark Empire lifting. Finn had a bit more to do in this one then tlj, which was nice.
glad chewie didn't get killed off. unhappy kylo got redeemed because I didn't really want to see that, but eh. richard e grant needed more screentime. was surprised there wasn't more force ghost usage, was kinda expecting rey to destroy palps body and luke/leia/kenobi to destory his soul or something.

Best to worst:

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
RO
ROTS
ROS
TLJ/TPM
AOTC

Where do you put Solo?

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from the film. Wow, just wow. I'm in shock in just how creatively bankrupt the whole thing is. There isn't a single interesting idea within the entire story. There are so many callbacks that I audibly groaned. I guess the epilogue would have been better if ending on another binary sunset hadn't been preceded by an absolute landslide of visual callbacks.

My main issue is just how all the things I liked about the sequel trilogy had been just discarded. Kylo Ren's potentially exciting turn as primary villain of the story (at least for longer than 0 seconds) had been removed in lieu of return of Palpatine. Hux, completely sidelined and discarded. Pretty much every point of Episode VIII (force is primarily being one with nature, focusing too much on lightsabers vs idolizing Luke's saber once again in ROTS, etc) is discarded. Snoke was a bad villain, but him being a puppet of Palpatine is even worse. Also, the film feels at the same time overstuffed and having completely superfluous plot. And what plot there is feels like a bad videogame, with an episodic structure, constant chase of macguffins and shonen anime-level threat escalation. Like, seriously, I'm just glad that that was actually Palpatine and not his clone. He was strangely incompetent though - how could an ever powerful emperor put all his hope into a girl that exhibited some doubt, but never felt like she could go full Dark Empress. I also laughed at how many times they went 'oh but there's another one' - two transport ships on sand planet, two ships on Endor, a spare lightsaber, two wayfinders. I guess Threepio's memory backup counts too?

So I can be rambling on and on about what I didn't like, I'm just so disappointed. Sheev's face when Rey blocked him with two lightsabers was great tho

PS. As for ranking, hard to decide off the bat, but right now I'd go ESB>TLJ>ANH>TFA>ROTJ>RO>ROTS>TROS>Solo/TPM>AotC?

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I quite liked it. Not as thought provoking or well directed as TLJ, but it's very fun and puts a nice bow on the saga.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
My main issue is just how all the things I liked about the sequel trilogy had been just discarded. Kylo Ren's potentially exciting turn as primary villain of the story (at least for longer than 0 seconds) had been removed in lieu of return of Palpatine. Hux, completely sidelined and discarded. Pretty much every point of Episode VIII (force is primarily being one with nature, focusing too much on lightsabers vs idolizing Luke's saber once again in ROTS, etc) is discarded. Snoke was a bad villain, but him being a puppet of Palpatine is even worse. Also, the film feels at the same time overstuffed and having completely superfluous plot. And what plot there is feels like a bad videogame, with an episodic structure, constant chase of macguffins and shonen anime-level threat escalation. Like, seriously, I'm just glad that that was actually Palpatine and not his clone. He was strangely incompetent though - how could an ever powerful emperor put all his hope into a girl that exhibited some doubt, but never felt like she could go full Dark Empress. I also laughed at how many times they went 'oh but there's another one' - two transport ships on sand planet, two ships on Endor, a spare lightsaber, two wayfinders. I guess Threepio's memory backup counts too?

So I can be rambling on and on about what I didn't like, I'm just so disappointed. Sheev's face when Rey blocked him with two lightsabers was great tho

PS. As for ranking, hard to decide off the bat, but right now I'd go ESB>TLJ>ANH>TFA>ROTJ>RO>ROTS>TROS>Solo/TPM>AotC?

I can kind of see where JJ was coming from bringing back palps, because I felt that kylo was too much of a joke to really hold the final villain position for me, but I think his return could have been handled a LOT better. Hux was made an absolute joke in TLJ so killing him and upgrading with richard e grant was fine with me, no worries there. I love his reason for being the spy lol

I question whether palps ever really expected anything from rey. Felt like he'd kill her or take her over and was fairly unconcerned which way it went

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
FeminineWarmheartedKillifish-max-1mb.gif
EXECUTE ORDER 69

OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
palpatine grandaughter....

like i always thought people weere joking about that theory back before TLJ released.

lol

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
My ranking would be the following

<Masterpiece tier>
Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars / A New Hope

<Great tier>
The Last Jedi

<Good tier>
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One

<Mediocre tier>
The Force Awakens

<Bad tier>
Revenge of the Sith
Solo
The Phantom Menace
The Rise of Skywalker

<One of the worst movies ever made tier>
Attack of the Clones

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I can kind of see where JJ was coming from bringing back palps, because I felt that kylo was too much of a joke to really hold the final villain position for me, but I think his return could have been handled a LOT better. Hux was made an absolute joke in TLJ so killing him and upgrading with richard e grant was fine with me, no worries there. I love his reason for being the spy lol

I question whether palps ever really expected anything from rey. Felt like he'd kill her or take her over and was fairly unconcerned which way it went

I loved the First Order's army being led by an ego-driven smarmy kid. Richard E Grant's character was not built up in any way and is just another spin on Tarkin. I like Richard E Grant, but it was a supremely boring choice, among many others.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I was actually surprised that Rey was a Palpatine, that had never really crossed my mind. I suppose the options could only be a Skywallker, Kenobi, Solo, Palpatine or a random. The story of her Grandmother and how her father lived so long without being found by Palpatine could be an interesting story to tell I guess.

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
ranking wise its def in the bottom tier for me:

Force Awakens
Return
Revenge
Rogue One
Phantom Menace
New Hope
Attack of the Clones
Empire
Solo
Rise of Skywalker
Last Jedi

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what was it Finn wanted to tell Rey, that he's really into her?

Well that's kind of awkward now.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the First Order's army being led by an ego-driven smarmy kid. Richard E Grant's character was not built up in any way and is just another spin on Tarkin. I like Richard E Grant, but it was a supremely boring choice, among many others.

He just made kylo look even worse by existing though, because he was useless and kylo should have killed him. Hux shouldn't have survived through tlj as the character he was. Grant being the first actually competent person in the first order took one look at him and iced him.

I know people like the alt right allusion rian put into the first order, but really having these morons who can't tie their own shoelaces put the rebellion to the brink of extinction just makes the rebellion itself look even worse by comparison because they can't beat these losers.

So sheev either raped someone or someone willingly wanted to fuck a literal and figurative monster.

or it was while he was senator/chancellor.

Oct 27, 2017
The optics on Rey falling in love with the nazi murderer dude instead of the black guy are to be discussed
I'm not sure there's much to discuss there, it was just bad. It looks bad and it was bad.

That said, Finn and Rey didn't really share any screen time together in the second film, so there wasn't much you could develop from that And they seemed much better as friends. That being said, the actual development with Rey and Kylo is just bad. I could tell there is some kind of underlying sexualish tension there in terms of their force bond, but the actual execution of that is...dubious. I think it would've been far more interesting if it was played off as strong friends, and nobody got any half baked romance instead of getting multiple half baked romances all around.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
meh, vader did worse and they still redeemed him.

palpatines granddaughter tho

I can accept that more because Luke and Vader didn't want to fuck each other and he's his dad.

There is something problematic there but Rey and Ben making out is on a whole other level.

I don't think that's the message that we need to send people.

This is some Twilight shit.

Not to mention that this makes Rey so much of a worse person for locking lips with him.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So what was it Finn wanted to tell Rey, that he's really into her?

Well that's kind of awkward now.
Well, it's not like Ben's gonna be around to get in his way.

... Ooh, unless he Force ghost haunts their relationship in the future. That would be just wacky enough to work.

I can accept that more because Luke and Vader didn't want to fuck each other and he's his dad.

There is something problematic there but Rey and Ben making out is on a whole other level.

Sure, he's a literal space Nazi, and she's a freedom fighter... but hear me out...
boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
also Adam is a fucking treasure, you could tell in his face, he was Ben. not kylo anymore

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I can't approve of the kiss. I don't know why Rey even needs to have any kind of romantic interest in these films.

So Rose and the Finn love angle? is what gone now?
Yeah it's gone. He gives her a nice pat on the shoulder at one point, friend zoned.
Is there any hint to Finn being force sensitive?
Yes a little, he comments that he can sense something at one point and talks about how he believes in the Force now.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, it's not like Ben's gonna be around to get in his way.

... Ooh, unless he Force ghost haunts their relationship in the future. That would be just wacky enough to work.

Nothing stops Ghost! Ben and Rey from banging. We already know that they can interact in the real world and impregnating someone via the Force is possible.

This is gonna be Ben and Rey the day after the movie ends:

BitesizedNaiveHackee-max-1mb.gif

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
TLJ fans must be pretty mad about the retcon.

However, TROS is dissapointing. I lost it at the medal for Chewie.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So why did it suddenly shift to night time when Ray first communicates with Ben through the Force Speak thing (Does It have a name? I dunno). After speaking it transistions right back to day again anyway.

That was weird.

I also swear Harrison Ford's name wasn't in the credits for this either.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about this movie the more disappointed it makes me. It has soured my opinion on the trilogy as a whole (which I absolutely loved until now), and maybe the 9 films.

While I don't think it's a super retcon of TLJ like some reviews say (in fact, I was surprised in how faithful it was in some details and following some plots), it also completely misses the point of that film and the best decisions it made (of course, everything related to Rey's family, the lack of a real Resistance, the whole idea of the light and dark side being just an old interpretation of the force, etc). I find baffling that the part I liked the most is a copy of one of the best moments of TLJ, but worse (when Ghost Luke and Rey talk, I think TLJ did it WAY BETTER with Luke and Ghost Yoda, way more meaning).

This third film should have been Rey vs Kylo, period. I'm still not sure why Palpatine is in this movie, other than "we need a villain!", yet again, Kylo should have been that. You don't have to kill him, redeem him at the end if you want to, use the Knights of Ren for that (which are fucking useless by the way, after being eternally hyped after TFA). And, at worse, if you're going to make Rey a Palpatine and build a movie around her insecurity about her family, at least make it a real plot, not as a superficial theme to drive people to other Macguffins.

Honestly, I liked the second half of the movie more, because the first half is a disaster, it's a movie without any direction or plot, just things happening. And, I have to say, except for the kiss, I liked the ending in general.
Though I'm baffled that no one at Disney (or JJ) saw the finished movie and even thought how the ending is AN EXACT COPY of Avengers Endgame, with the same exact beats (Cap with Mjonir/Ben with Anakin's lightsaber, Falcon on the radio + Portals/Lando on the radio + hyperlight ships, "I am inevitable and I am Iron Man"/"I am all the sith and I am all the jedi"......)

It's not the worst, it has its moments, but it definitely lets down as a trilogy finisher, a saga finisher and as a movie in general.

OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Though I'm baffled that no one at Disney (or JJ) saw the finished movie and even thought how the ending is AN EXACT COPY of Avengers Endgame, with the same exact beats (Cap with Mjonir/Ben with Anakin's lightsaber, Falcon on the radio + Portals/Lando on the radio + hyperlight ships, "I am inevitable and I am Iron Man"/"I am all the sith and I am all the jedi"......)

It's not the worst, it has its moments, but it definitely lets down as a trilogy finisher, a saga finisher and as a movie in general.

i honestly never made the connection LOL

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018

Not to mention that this makes Rey so much of a worse person for locking lips with him.
Ya Reylo is EXTREMELY problematic.

So Rose and the Finn love angle? is what gone now?
Sexual assault aint love bud.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this movie the more disappointed it makes me. It has soured my opinion on the trilogy as a whole (which I absolutely loved until now), and maybe the 9 films.

While I don't think it's a super retcon of TLJ like some reviews say (in fact, I was surprised in how faithful it was in some details and following some plots), it also completely misses the point of that film and the best decisions it made (of course, everything related to Rey's family, the lack of a real Resistance, the whole idea of the light and dark side being just an old interpretation of the force, etc). I find baffling that the part I liked the most is a copy of one of the best moments of TLJ, but worse (when Ghost Luke and Rey talk, I think TLJ did it WAY BETTER with Luke and Ghost Yoda, way more meaning).

This third film should have been Rey vs Kylo, period. I'm still not sure why Palpatine is in this movie, other than "we need a villain!", yet again, Kylo should have been that. You don't have to kill him, redeem him at the end if you want to, use the Knights of Ren for that (which are fucking useless by the way, after being eternally hyped after TFA). And, at worse, if you're going to make Rey a Palpatine and build a movie around her insecurity about her family, at least make it a real plot, not as a superficial theme to drive people to other Macguffins.

Honestly, I liked the second half of the movie more, because the first half is a disaster, it's a movie without any direction or plot, just things happening. And, I have to say, except for the kiss, I liked the ending in general.

The thing is TLJ sets up Kylo as the big bad and irredeemable (Leia says that her son's gone and Luke agrees), and that's what it should've been. But then they run into the problem that Kylo is actually awful at being a bad guy. He comes across as incompetent at being a villain and just overall non threatening for a big bad.

It was a lose-lose situation but I do think the point of redemption was in TLJ since we saw the torn between light and dark since the first film itself, and missing that window just makes this redemption seems weird. His story was always set up for a redemption from the first film and it should've gone that way in TLJ even if they wanted to remove snoke from the equation in TLJ. TLJ ended on a hopeful note so it didn't really need to set up a villain for the next film. And ultimately that setup meant nothing as he never really does villain things in this movie and just does his usual confused between light and dark stuff.

And oh btw Rey called Kylo a murderer in TFA and a monster in TLJ, then Kylo rejects a redemption later on in TLJ...and now he's redeemed and they are kissing. Which is just...lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i didnt like that the star destroyers had "planet killing" capabilities.

that was extra dumb. like make 1 or 2 enough to raze a planet to the ground, but not explode them man

Status
Not open for further replies.