• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Two flops in a row. Time for Kathleen Kennedy to bow the fuck out. She has no idea what she is doing.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest mistake in the new trilogy was how they portrayed and decimated the First Order.

Snoke was a terrible character when compared to Palpatine, Dooku, Vader and other charismatic Sith Lords. Nobody will remember him.
And Hux and Phasma were... well, a complete disaster and caricatures. Them trying to make Hux funny was so ridiculous.

There was only an instable Kylo Ren to portray the antagonists at the end of TLJ. That was super weak, and that's why they had to bring back Sidious and the Empire.

they didn't have to. they could have gone full sozin's-comet-azula with kylo in this but can't have that for some reason.

but i guess it's not like someone with a shitload of power using it in increasingly unwieldy ways for their own selfish reasons among an increasingly smaller but more dangerous group of sycophants would be relevant in 2019 or something.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that has watched both TPM and AOTC (fully this time around instead of parts of it) for the first time this week, hell no at TPM being better.

The prequels strike back!

What a shame this has all been.

I mean the Rey/Kylo alone will ensure I like this movie more, but still... damn

This. I still hold a little hope for later today, but those already made me fear the worse about this movie.

Like they really managed to market the movie in a way that displeased TLJ fans who were hyped after watching it, whereas the detractors just weren't enthused to begin with. And now it seems that the actual movie itself may very well do the same thing, where no one's happy lol

In one of my discords, upon seeing the title and trailer, my response was "Why not just call it 'Star Wars - We're sorry, we're so sorry!'"

Lmao pretty much

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I expected something safe and crowd pleasing from JJ but this sounds like a straight trainwreck

Cant wait to see it lol

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the posts who say AotC > TPM. Watch them again. I was very firmly in the camp of "AotC is the worst one and complete dogshit" until my wife and I rewatched the whole series leading up to this. TPM is painful, AotC has painful moments but is a better movie.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Going to see this tonight and managed to say unspoiled all the way through , yeah :)

Gonna be a long day of home office

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
My biggest problem with this trilogy, apart from the fact it undoes basically everything of the OT, is that I don't really know what is happening in the Galaxy. Where are the New Republic? How big are the First Order? Big enough to make a weapon bigger than the Death Star but small enough that 20 Resistance fighters cause them problems. Why do you even need a Resistance, did blowing up those 5 planets literally destroy the Republic? Is the First Order ruling the Galaxy now? I just dont get the scale of things and the state of all these factions so I find it hard to care.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I liked AOTC as a kid but I can barely get through it now. Saw Spider-Man that same summer, good times

Phantom Menace was always dogshit with a cool lightsaber battle at the end.

Revenge of the Sith I legit enjoy. Plus, THE MEMES

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We can argue this all day, but what is shit or not, is subjective. I'm not the biggest fan of TLJ but at least it had good reviews.

RT should not be the arbiter of quality. Look at the score AotC had.

I didn't hate TLJ but it had a lot of dumb things that makes its RT score feel incorrect.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I too, watched them recently again. AOTC is still worse. TPM is dumb as fuck but AOTC is just plain offensive with that shitty Anakin, stupid nonsensical love story and Yoda flipping around with his tiny lightsaber. It had the better Obi Wan though , but that's it.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to think this movie is worse than the prequels. It's just impossible.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
53% after 47 reviews......and often the Tomatometer drops from here. Whoo boy! Has anyone checked on Cheebs?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
As someone who was an adult (or well close enough for TPM) when the PT came out, I'm cackling like Palpatine when kids who watched them finally come around that AotC is indeed a better smelling fart than TPM. Those RT scores are correct.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It was the only was of establishing him as a final boss for the saga.

He finished TLJ as inferior to Rey unfortunately.
Both of them end the film with crippling self doubt.
tumblr_inline_p5ry1bmKga1v75jbp_540.gif

tumblr_p5jyonpCtY1rp74xfo4_500.gif

The difference is that Rey had people who could prop her up. Going from here is them both reflecting on this experience.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I too, watched them recently again. AOTC is still worse. TPM is dumb as fuck but AOTC is just plain offensive with that shitty Anakin, stupid nonsensical love story and Yoda flipping around with his tiny lightsaber. It had the better Obi Wan though , but that's it.

The stakes are bigger too ... AOTC should be getting you deeply invested in the love story and Anakin-Obi-Wan friendship but it fails terribly on that.

TPM could just be "baby's first Star Wars" type of fun adventure (which it doesn't achieve either) and set the table.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
That depends entirely on the revenue though, for all we know catering to nostalgia might make the film race to a billion faster than TLJ....which uh..would really say so much about audiences tbh.

Disney will make money no matter what. But the fact that they're finally tanking with critics means that they'll have to take a step back and really look at how they're handling the series.

I like the trilogy, but this string of bizarre studio interference is very 2016 Warner Bros, and they took some blows before changing for the better.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A lot of the problems being mentioned were issues with The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi (the latter of which I have a fondness for) and have been a major concern for the new trilogy from the beginning. It's not a specific "Star Wars" thing, it's an issue of construction piss poor movies that lean heavily on nostalgia and creative bankruptcy to tell lukewarm stories where emotional arcs and character relationships are unearned, and there never seems to be any coherent focus on or commitment to any anchored theme or concept.

I walked away from The Force Awakens super disappointed for these exact reasons. It's full of plenty of good ideas, characters, and casting, but it's such a mediocre, uninspired film that the apathy I felt was the exact problem. Attack of the Clones? Actively hated it because it was a dogshit movie rich with outright awful dialogue and acting. The Force Awakens was fine, but just so tepid and unremarkable in trying to do anything interesting or new with the narrative that the end result was wholly forgettable. And given the casting and characters it should have been the exact opposite.

It's not a Star Wars specific problem. It's a story writing problem, at the behest of a production arm that is more interesting than fan pandering and hacking together safe, uninspired, repetitive narratives than taking risks. JJ was a bad choice from the getgo.

I agree on both Attack of the Clones and The Force Awakens.

Attack of the Clones is in the same spot for me as Now You See Me - can't watch those movies without getting angry about how bad they are. There is actually some potential for them to hit above their weight or at least deliver some good entertainment, but they either fumble with everything they are given or just don't care enough to try.

The Force Awakens is disappointing for me because it played it too safe when it was almost there. They had all the right elements and a very promising new guard for the movie and still decided to rely way too much on the established formula that was already done two times in the exact same way at this point (three if you count Episode I). There was no reason to bring back the old status quo either.

And now here we are. End of the next era, apparently going out in the same way that it started.
I just hope that everyone learned their part and tries better next time - Star Wars is full of stories that would be fun to see on the big screen. They just have to dig in and a) find what worked in the old EU and will still work now and b) let go of the old trilogy and finally have the guts to expand the universe beyond the characters from I-VI.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Also speaking about disrespecting the OT, remember when Darth Vader had an heroic death for ... nothing?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
they didn't have to. they could have gone full sozin's-comet-azula with kylo in this but can't have that for some reason.

but i guess it's not like someone with a shitload of power using it in increasingly unwieldy ways for their own selfish reasons among an increasingly smaller but more dangerous group of sycophants would be relevant in 2019 or something.

He doesn't have a "shitload of power" though. Maybe compared to normal people, but he had already lost to Rey. There was no space to build up to some big final duel between them. The only way the First Order could feel like a threat would be if it were entirely due to numbers and sci-fi weapons rather than trying to force his direct personal powers to mean anything. However, they'd never take that route in the first place anyway considered how the previous movies were written. If a purely technological villain were on the cards, we wouldn't have needed to get dark force users as enemies again in the first place.

That depends entirely on the revenue though, for all we know catering to nostalgia might make the film race to a billion faster than TLJ....which uh..would really say so much about audiences tbh.

Eh, I think they chose the wrong route to "carter to nostalgia". Something like bringing back Palpatine just hurts the previous movies even more, and I can't see someone who disliked how Luke was treated in TLJ suddenly being happy with that.

Really, if there was a death they needed to retcon for nostalgia money it was Luke himself, especially after these new movies essentially established that the OT cast accomplished nothing in the original trilogy.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I knew it wouldn't be as good as TLJ, but I never thought it would end up so messed up. Perhaps now we can go back to the pre-TFA reality where nobody trusted JJ with anything related to story.