• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Well get ready because the same thing is gonna happen with the ST. Ten years from now kids of today are going to be writing threads saying ROS is the best star wars movie of the original 9. I already see it talking to some of my kids friends.
I doubt it will be remotely as revived as the PT.
ST doesn't have all the surrounding media and merchandise that does it favors.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Idk why people are surprised TLJ is getting flack.

RotS, similarly, had big pacing problems, because AotC didn't set up things well. RotS had to cram two movies worth of world building in a single film, making Anakin's fall seem completely unearned because of how fast it happened.

RoS apparently tried to do the same thing with content, because Abrams didn't have a lot to work with from TLJ(insert "it's poetry" meme). He tries to build up a galactic threat and destroy it, while having to juggle way too many characters (definitely his fault for introducing more characters tho, like wtf?).

It's also super weird that when people bring up killing the primary antagonist in the 2nd act of 2nd film as a pretty dumb "subversion", the only defense TLJ fans have is "Snoke was a nothing character anyway!"

Like, ok, sure. But offer a viable alternative for a primary antagonistic force going into the final film, if you're going to discard what was there.

For example, without compromising the themes Rian Johnson presented (and then backed down from), he could have had Rey ACTUALLY join with Kylo, or renounce the same "light vs dark" theme we've seen for 8+ movies in a row. This would set up the final film to be Old World (light & dark/rebel & order) vs New World (grey/anything with nuance).

Alternatively, he could have just built Kylo into an actually threat and not continue his status as a jobber that loses literally every single fight.

Alternatively alternatively, he could have... like, just not killed Snoke? Takes away a great moment from TLJ, but at least it ensures a measure of stability going into the conclusion.

And that's the main problem with these movies, that I will continue to harp on. No vision. JJ set up mystery boxes without really telling Rian Johnson what the plan was. Rian Johnson said, fuck all that, my movie is gonna have a a conclusive ending, disregarding it's 2 of 3.

I hope Disney learns from this whole experience. Have more oversight and let each movie breathe (like at least 3 years between them, preferably more).

I'll begin by saying I agree with you that Disney should've planned this trilogy's story from the get-go, and they should've had more time to breathe.

However, I disagree with your points on The Last Jedi. You keep assuming that Snoke is the main antagonist, and that is where you're wrong. The main antagonist of TLJ is Kylo Ren. He is who tries to seduce our hero to the dark side, he is the one who tracks them down to Crait and tries to defeat them, and he is the one with the most complexities surrounding his intentions.

JJ misunderstood this as well, and so he felt he had to introduce another big bad instead of Kylo Ren when really the focus should have all been on Kyle for the last movie. However, since it's the last movie of the trilogy and Skywalker Saga he had to grab an old baddie: Palpatine.

It's disappointing.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I think the next trilogy will tell us what Star Wars fans really want. It will be an all new setting with no skywalkers, no empire, no rebels, and no nostalgia. It will have to stand on its own as a series of films.

We'll also see how Disney handles a Star Wars story with a blank slate.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Doom 3 proved it was awesome. Every inch of it. "Critics agree". Not that I give a shit whether or not they agree with me, I'll pull that card in this case considering how damn popular hiding behind critical consensus is these days.

Just using it as a shield. Or you can check out the thread where I've made numerous posts detailing why it's a masterpiece, with videos showing the amazing atmosphere, pitch perfect sound design, fun gameplay, action horror tension, etc, or you could just say "it sucks".
"Monster closets" and whatever predictable, lazy, and dishonest criticisms people have against it. Cuz the original DOOMs are masterpieces even with some near broken shit in them, loaded with monster closets of their own. Gotta love the double standards. Doom 3 sucks cuz reasons, but mysteriously the other Doom games are perfect, even though Doom 3 is generally just doing the same, with other elements, and some other differences.

And this again comes back to what I'm talking about. Just a "it sucks". It's really annoying and not conducive to any kind of discussion. Someone tell me something they like, only for me to be like "it sucks didn't you know?". Good times.

Again Doom 3 isn't the topic here. Go to the Doom thread.

Doom 3 sucks because it's . . . Not Doom. It's chasing trends. Doom 2016 is the spirit of Doom compared to that 3 garbage. Sorry.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
For as hammy as the prequels are, at least they try to craft (and, I'd argue, succeed) their own sense of identity, aesthetically-speaking. They also understand that the emotional core of Star Wars as a franchise resides in its themes and character drama. All three are trainwrecks, to some degree, but you can't accuse them of not having a personality.

In contrast, this movie is a vapid imitation of what came before it, so creatively bankrupt there's no emotional core to be found in it. It's a nothing movie, the most cynical, approved-by-comitee product Disney could have put out to salvage the status of the franchise in popular culture. It's a Baudrillardian nightmare, choke-full of empty iconography for level 3 fans that has been stripped of all meaning in order to keep the runtime to a minimum.

There's a particular callback toward the end of the film to Rey's introduction in TFA that can only be interpreted as either JJ jerking it to his previous contribution, or as an example of using self-reference in a straight-up farcical way.

So yeah, count me firmly on the camp of people who'd rather see watch something as derranged as the prequels instead of this, because I'd rather watch something with an once of creative ambition instead of yet another film stripped down of all personality by the Disney Corporation.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
I jut rewatched The Last Jedi and my word I swear that movie gets better every viewing. Such a shame the final episode took barely anything from TLJ forward and built on it.

Oh, what we could've had!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Doom 3 sucks because it's . . . Not Doom. It's chasing trends. Doom 2016 is the spirit of Doom compared to that 3 garbage. Sorry.

They both chase trends. They're both amazing. And it is Doom. It's the same gameplay with a different pace and more depth. Sometimes it's fast, sometime's it's slow. It does both action AND horror, and is an amalgamation of all the Doom games before it. It's also less broken than at least Doom 1. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Shit isn't black and white.

This applies to anything. So while I may be talking about Doom 3 now, I'm really talking about any sequel ever.

I enjoy them all. Cuz you didn't like it doesn't mean they did a bad job and/or the game is bad.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the next trilogy will tell us what Star Wars fans really want. It will be an all new setting with no skywalkers, no empire, no rebels, and no nostalgia. It will have to stand on its own as a series of films.

It could be an exciting side story (but still important) set in between Order 66 and the OT. No spoilers... but I hear a certain Darth "Father" may show up!

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll begin by saying I agree with you that Disney should've planned this trilogy's story from the get-go, and they should've had more time to breathe.

However, I disagree with your points on The Last Jedi. You keep assuming that Snoke is the main antagonist, and that is where you're wrong. The main antagonist of TLJ is Kylo Ren. He is who tries to seduce our hero to the dark side, he is the one who tracks them down to Crait and tries to defeat them, and he is the one with the most complexities surrounding his intentions.

JJ misunderstood this as well, and so he felt he had to introduce another big bad instead of Kylo Ren when really the focus should have all been on Kyle for the last movie. However, since it's the last movie of the trilogy and Skywalker Saga he had to grab an old baddie: Palpatine.

It's disappointing.

Mod Edit: Removed Spoilers

Last edited by a moderator:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We agree to disagree. At least with the prequels i can say 1 or 2 good things about them. There wasnt a single thing here that i would consider to be good.
Yeah that's all we can do. It sucks you didn't like anything about it.

So yeah, count me firmly on the camp of people who'd rather see watch something as derranged as the prequels instead of this, because I'd rather watch something with an once of creative ambition instead of yet another film stripped down of all personality by the Disney Corporation.
the prequels have no creative ambition and no personality, I'm not sure how anyone can say they do.

Apr 21, 2018
Star Wars fans want the same movie served to them again and again,

Who ever said this? I really don't think it's true at all. People weren't upset that the prequels weren't the same movie. People weren't upset that TLJ wasn't the same movie. The reasons those movies get backlash is for completely different reasons. We just want something that's new AND *gasp* actually good!

And don't throw Zelda fans under the bus when both OOT and BOTW shook up the formula and were almost universally praised as classics.

Apr 21, 2018
For as hammy as the prequels are, at least they try to craft (and, I'd argue, succeed) their own sense of identity, aesthetically-speaking. They also understand that the emotional core of Star Wars as a franchise resides in its themes and character drama. All three are trainwrecks, to some degree, but you can't accuse them of not having a personality.

In contrast, this movie is a vapid imitation of what came before it, so creatively bankrupt there's no emotional core to be found in it. It's a nothing movie, the most cynical, approved-by-comitee product Disney could have put out to salvage the status of the franchise in popular culture. It's a Baudrillardian nightmare, choke-full of empty iconography for level 3 fans that has been stripped of all meaning in order to keep the runtime to a minimum.

There's a particular callback toward the end of the film to Rey's introduction in TFA that can only be interpreted as either JJ jerking it to his previous contribution, or as an example of using self-reference in a straight-up farcical way.

I havnt seen ROS but this sums my feeling up perfectly.

If someone were to just describe the plots of these films, the prequels are so much more dynamic and interesting and consequential and weighty than what Disney has done.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who ever said this? I really don't think it's true at all. People weren't upset that the prequels weren't the same movie. People weren't upset that TLJ wasn't the same movie. The reasons those movies get backlash is for completely different reasons. We just want something that's new AND *gasp* actually good!
you've got it in the sequel trilogy, three good movies.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Man I really wanted to like this movie. But it was just meh. It felt like there was barely any transition. Just one set piece to another. Editing felt weird and sudden. Maybe there will be an extended cut later that allows it to breathe more.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They both chase trends. They're both amazing. And it is Doom. It's the same gameplay with a different pace and more depth. Sometimes it's fast, sometime's it's slow. It does both action AND horror, and is an amalgamation of all the Doom games before it. It's also less broken than at least Doom 1. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Shit isn't black and white.

This applies to anything. So while I may be talking about Doom 3 now, I'm really talking about any sequel ever.

I enjoy them all. Cuz you didn't like it doesn't mean they did a bad job and/or the game is bad.

Well I mean, just because you like it doesn't mean it's good. It's a piss-poor follower to the FPS 'cinematic' gaming trends of those years. It didn't even put a good foot forward. You're basically saying 'it does a mixture of a lot of things. Sometimes it's fast sometimes it's slow.' Problem is, it doesn't do a lot of those things especially well.

Similar problem with TROS.

Apr 21, 2018
you've got it in the sequel trilogy, three good movies.

I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I was saying that nobody wants things to "be the same".

If anything this new trilogy (debatable whether it's good) has a problem with being too samey, retreading old paths, remaking A New Hope, cashing in on nostalgia, etc. Where atleast myself and the people I talk to all wanted them to be more original, with more fresh ideas.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ ends with Rey literally and figuratively shutting the door on Kylo and him festering in his rage and hatred. The clear path forward from there was for Kylo to become a crazed, barely-competent leader using his destructive force to bring chaos to the galaxy. It could have been awesome.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All they had to do was make the Thrawn Trilogy, but no Disney gotta cancel their whole expanded universe and pull some mediocre crap out of their ass.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ ends with Rey literally and figuratively shutting the door on Kylo and him festering in his rage and hatred. The clear path forward from there was for Kylo to become a crazed, barely-competent leader using his destructive force to bring chaos to the galaxy. It could have been awesome.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A friend of mine who once posted a comic he made with how TLJ was "supposed" to go (Luke taking the lightsaber from Rey with love and turning to Mara Jade to say, "Our daughter has returned") just posted his thoughts on TRoS.

He loved it because it was a "repudiation" of the "blasphemous" Episode VIII.

Oh no.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was make the Thrawn Trilogy, but no Disney gotta cancel their whole expanded universe and pull some mediocre crap out of their ass.

Thrawn Trilogy is better than this mess by far, but its nowhere near as good as we all remember it. Terrible dialogue (not PT level bad of course, but pretty bleh), a slow moving plot, and Thrawn was always kind of a Villain Sue who only dies due to Deus ex Machina.

Plus, Mark and Co. were all just too old now :-(

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Finally saw this earlier and I have no real words. I'm left not feeling anything. Just... what.

My passion for Star Wars has waned considerably throughout the Disney era, but I'm about to buy Fallen Order next week and we have The Clone Wars coming in February (jury's still out on The Mandalorian, for me), so that's something, right? Right.

Ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah what about those of us looking for reviews not actual dissection of the film by those here who have seen it already?

There's a difference :)

Oct 28, 2017
Yea I really wanted to see what the First Order would have been like under his rule

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Yea I really wanted to see what the First Order would have been like under his rule
I wanted an Azula in Avatar: TLA level meltdown. Just leaning more and more into total narcissistic insanity as the film went on. Adam Driver is a fantastic actor. He could have totally pulled that off, and he might have cemented himself as one of the most memorable Star Wars villains ever. Such a shame.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like WoM is pretty bad

from the BO thread
k2jvfk7q8x541.jpg

Cinemascore.

that's the same as Justice League as an FYI

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base

so it's just science fiction then.

the force, Jedi, mandalorians, bounty hunters a large empire etc IS Star Wars

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Posting spoilers in a non-spoiler thread, Ignoring staff post