• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Dismissive parroted quips about how hilarious it is that these movies suck.

So funny! Haha I criticized something everybody! Get it? No one's ever made fun of Star Wars since 99!
So what's your response to thought-out and argued criticism in the form of a review that concludes RoS is poop?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
So what's your response to thought-out and argued criticism in the form of a review that concludes RoS is poop?

A hell of a lot better than a two word drive-by I'll tell you that.

The prequels are absolutely among the worst movies ever made. The only positive they have going for them is that they were very expensive and at times looked pretty good, but on the whole didn't. They are poorly written, directed, acted, and shot. They have poor stories with inconsistent characters and almost completely lack any sort of narrative structure.

I didn't know you were such an expert!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This complete refusal to engage with someone sharing their opinion and instead just insulting them because they didn't like the Phantom Menace is part of what I meant by

Cuz it's dismissive. All he did was shit on everything. So basically what they're saying is everything is terrible.

It was just a checklist of:

Everything in the movie was bad. K. 🙄

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Cuz it's dismissive. All he did was shit on everything. So basically what they're saying is everything is terrible.

It was just a checklist of:

Everything in the movie was bad. K. 🙄

Yes. These movies had very little redeeming factors, which is why they are awful movies. When everything is done poorly, the end result is bad.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it and I thought it was really good. Lots of obvious stuff wrong with it but not enough to make it a bad movie.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
How are the podrace and the duel of fates bad? It's peak Star Wars.

Duel of the Fates is a great song for a lackluster moment. Two people die (Just kidding about one of them) before we ever had any reason to care about either. Darth Maul and the double lightsaber looked cool as hell but that alone doesn't do anything to make the movie good.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Darth Maul is a non-character that could not be less interesting, so beyond how expensive the scene was to make I had zero engagement with it. Like sure the song is good and it looks nice, but that's true about Sucker Punch as well.

And the podrace is just a nonsensical contrived sequence added so it could be in trailers. The stakes for it are the lowest they could possibly be, since if Anakin lost do you think the Jedi knight would just turn around and leave and let the powerless racist bug keep his slave? It's a terribly written conflict.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Saw it this morning. Not nearly as bad as reviewers have made it out to be. I hope they take a longer break from SW films after this than what they initially mentioned.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it and I can surmise more my feelings pretty easily. It's a fun film, but by no means a good film. And it's literally fan fiction come to life, which isn't terrible but makes for very vacuous storytelling because it's surprising on paper, but seem like audience pandering on screen.

So basically I can see why people enjoy it, and I did too, but you can enjoy a nostalgia drip product, and know it has no real substance.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Duel of the Fates is overchoreographed nonsense. It's flashy for the sake of being flashy and the fight itself is just without substance. It also breaks the movies own rules. You're telling me Jedi have super speed, but when Obi Wan needs to run through some laser barriers to help Qui Gon, suddenly he doesn't?

Fantastic song, but that's about it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The pod race is an awful sequence that has no reason to exist beyond spectacle.
Sure. One reason for me to watch Star Wars is the spectacle.
Duel of the Fates is a great song for a lackluster moment. Two people die (Just kidding about one of them) before we ever had any reason to care about either. Darth Maul and the double lightsaber looked cool as hell but that alone doesn't do anything to make the movie good.
It's a great lightsaber fight. I was pointing at that "everything in Episode 1 is terrible".

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
You could try maybe offering any counter.

Literally anything but "NO I LOVE IT SHUT UP"

Why bother? I'm wrong aren't I?

Isn't it some kinda truthfact that the prequels are awful garbage trainwrecks with no redeeming qualities? Everything about them is bad!

You and others have been pretty clear about it. Same with TLJ hyperbole, just in the opposite direction.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. One reason for me to watch Star Wars is the spectacle.
It's a great lightsaber fight. I was pointing at that "everything in Episode 1 is terrible".

I disagree that it's a great fight. I think it looks goofy and nothing has any real logic to it, the tension from the forcefields as mentioned above is nonsense, Obi-Wan doesn't demonstrate any skill, or learning, or any reason that he won the fight except he's Obi-Wan and we know he survives. Darth Maul dances in front of him the same way he danced in from of Qui Gon and then gets killed instead of killing the jedi.

Isn't it some kinda truthfact that the prequels are awful garbage trainwrecks with no redeeming qualities? Everything about them is bad!

You and others have been pretty clear about it. Same with TLJ hyperbole, just in the opposite direction.

You're wrong because you don't know how to formulate an argument, not because of any inherent quality.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Finn inspires people? To do what, be a space janitor and stand on the sideline cheering on the main character?
I don't think this is fair. They would have lost on at least 3 separate occasions alone if it weren't for Finns actions. That's just in this movie alone. He played an important role.

I'm not going to argue that his character arc or representation weren't disappointing to minorities or that they couldn't have done a lot better just....your characterization here is super disingenuous

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Mostly everything about the prequels is below par, except for the art direction and worldbuilding.

The scripts, acting, pacing, that's all bad. You can still enjoy them.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
aka obnoxious and annoying. I don't wanna hear some dickhead laughing when such an such moment happens in the movie. I didn't pay money to hear some dude who loves memes laugh at shit.

Someone better not laugh during my viewing, everyone better shut the fuck up unless the moment is intended comedic relief.
Better wear your badge officer, someone is definitely going to laugh.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'll say this again and again. Biggest mistake was bringing back the old characters.

I do feel bad saying it though

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
People don't seem to like the new movie though? So why would they keep doing this? This must be one of the lowest rated mainline Disney movies ever. They wont be happy with this.
I'm sure it will do just fine financially and be liked enough that it's not even a stumbling block.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
How many the quartering trolls aka "they listened us true fans and took rose and SJW put of the saga" giving it good scores?
A LOT. I've been sifting through the reviews and that's exactly how they read. The VAST majority are from new accounts that haven't reviewed other movies either, just like the last jedi user reviews. I'm assuming a lot of them will get removed as spam too, just like the last jedi user reviews.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
or what

Like what are you gonna do lmao

It's a movie theater, people are going to react how they react. Wait until it's on video if you don't want that
or else he will complain on the internet. entire theater is shaking in fear

Might tell em to shut the fuck up :)

I don't go to movies to mock and laugh at them, but I guess that's just me. Pretty obvious to me how people enjoy bashing shit.

--------

So while we're on the subject of the prequels having supposedly terrible scripts cuz reasons, anyone wanna enlighten me about the MIND BENDING scripts of the OT or TLJ? Since they're so damn mind blowing, right? Should be easy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

--------

So while we're on the subject of the prequels having supposedly terrible scripts cuz reasons, anyone wanna enlighten me about the MIND BENDING scripts of the OT or TLJ? Since they're so damn mind blowing, right? Should be easy.
No but they're competent which is more than can be said about the prequels and TROS

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Posting spoilers in a non-spoiler thread, Ignoring staff post
Mod Edit: Removed Spoilers

Not only does JJ rip off from previous Star Wars movies but he takes stuff from other Disney movies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017

I don't go to movies to mock and laugh at them, but I guess that's just me. Pretty obvious to me how people enjoy bashing shit.

--------

I see you've mastered the Jedi art of deflecting.