• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tentative ranking:
  1. ROTJ
  2. Rogue One
  3. AOTC
  4. ESB
  5. ROTS
  6. ANH
  7. TPM
  8. TROS
  9. Solo
  10. TLJ (by miles)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So I read some posts a dozen pages back and learned that people seriously argue about realism of space combat in Star Wars.

...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Realistic space combat is really, really, REALLY ugly ships shooting each other from hundreds of thousands (actually probably millions) of kilometers away. Not Naval Ships But In Space sending out Aircraft But In Space.

Last edited:

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
My rankings:
1.ESB
2.ANH
3.ROTJ
4.ROTS
5.TROS
6.TFA
7.TLJ
8.R1
9.Solo
10.PM
11.AOTC
Attack of the Clones is truly the only film in the series I'm not a big fan of but still it has interesting moments.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
welp

EMNZggWU0AAMjxI

EMNZgf4XUAEtQ7z

JJ:

tumblr_nmintdUdIZ1uqcr7ko3_r2_250.gifv

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I genuinely believe that if JJ was able direct all 3 movies in the trilogy, all 3 would have been largely critically acclaimed. I think he just stuffed too much into TRoS as a sort of retcon of TLJ, based on his own fandom and nostalgic love of the franchise, and what he believed fans wanted. I doubt it would have been nearly as heavy handed or condensed if he'd been responsible for the sequel. I'm also confident the third movie would have had slightly different story beats had he been responsible for the sequel too.

This isn't to completely trash Rian though. As I've said before, I actually would be quite interested in a Rian standalone Star Wars movie, I just don't think what he did with TLJ was thematically and tonally inconsistent as a sequel to TFA, which I think is one of the reasons for some of the pushback (likewise with TRoS from TLJ).

Last edited:

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Honestly, before this becomes a nonsense back and forth, a healthy chunk of it is great, but a larger chunk is a half cocked, poorly edited, mess. I have similar feelings with TRoS except it didn't hit quite the same lows and not the same highs. I rate them both above Attack of the Clones and below Empire Strikes Back. Enjoyable, servicable, with lots of flaws.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
People saying shit like "Movie would have been better if Rian Johnson hadn't ended The Last Jedi the way he did" or something similar are actually just saying "JJ Abrams is creatively bankrupt," which I don't think anyone can dispute at this point.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People saying shit like "Movie would have been better if Rian Johnson hadn't ended The Last Jedi" or something similar are actually just saying "JJ Abrams is creatively bankrupt," which I don't think anyone can dispute at this point.

That's not what people are saying or what that means at all. But yay for misconstrued or disingenuous sensationalism?

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it yesterday night, with some wtf here and there, it's a very good and fun movie at all. But the most important thing, it has the true essence of SW, that i love since the first one. Thumbs up!

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we should not be using Rotten Tomatoes as gospel period.

Edit: People were SOBBING at the end of the movie because of how bad it was? I'm starting to feel that in of itself is hyperbole. I rolled my eyes at the idea of people doing that at the end of TLJ and I will feel the same for this.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
People saying shit like "Movie would have been better if Rian Johnson hadn't ended The Last Jedi the way he did" or something similar are actually just saying "JJ Abrams is creatively bankrupt," which I don't think anyone can dispute at this point.

When I look at ROS, and what happened it, and then look back at what TFA set up - it makes quite a bit of sense. TLJ short circuited a bunch of TFA storylines, which makes the transition between the 2 films incredibly awkward.

It's painfully clear that TLJ is not the kind of movie JJ envisioned while making TFA.

If that makes him creatively bankrupt - I guess I can see it. But to me, it seems more that the lack of a central vision and mismanagement of disney is the main culprit.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
When I look at ROS, and what happened it, and then look back at what TFA set up - it makes quite a bit of sense. TLJ short circuited a bunch of TFA storylines, which makes the transition between the 2 films incredibly awkward.

It's painfully clear that TLJ is not the kind of movie JJ envisioned while making TFA.

If that makes him creatively bankrupt - I guess I can see it. But to me, it seems more that the lack of a central vision and mismanagement of disney is the main culprit.

Biggest problem with the series. I wish they either stuck to some overall plot or had a creative head taking the decisions regarding where the series needs to go. I don't think Kathleen Kennedy is anywhere close to that and seems to be just a business head than a creative person.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

nah. TFA was creatively bankrupt as well rehashing most of the OT. It just worked coming off the prequels.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Internet sensationalist negativity & vitriol really is out of control these days, especially with Star Wars fans. It's like TLJ all over again lol.

Yep. I'm getting severe whiplash just in another direction. I'm hearing people say "Its bad but its not Prequel Bad" and at the same time "I WANT TO DIE ITS SO BAD" like man what were the reactions after the Prequels then?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I'm getting severe whiplash just in another direction. I'm hearing people say "Its bad but its not Prequel Bad" and at the same time "I WANT TO DIE ITS SO BAD" like man what were the reactions after the Prequels then?
Bad enough they sent death threats to the actors.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's an argument going on in the OT about this, actually. So, "that's not what people are saying" is wrong.

Era isn't a hive mind. Just because one or more people are implying a particular thing from a certain stance or argument, it doesn't mean everyone who says the said thing feels the same way. I would have assumed that was basic common sense, but I suppose when you're trying to reductively diminish a particular viewpoint or argument, nuance and rationale no longer matters?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
J.J. is creatively bankrupt. His Star Wars movies are full of ideas taken from other movies, there are very few original ideas. And it worked for TFA because the series needed a retreat to OT after PT, but it doesn't work when you do exactly the same conclusion like before.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I fucking loved this movie. Its one short coming is that it had to overcome the garbage of a story and timeline that TLJ left behind in its wake.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would say is much worse trying to change stuff at the end of a narrative, than at the start. After all, TFA mostly sets up a possible road, there was nothing in stone. Not Kylo and Ren relationship, neither's Luke character, people says they changed Luke, but TFA basically is 2 seconds of Luke, even if not expected Rian giving Luke another character's arc is not jarring narratively is jarring only for people preconceived idea of Luke's character.

TLJ does set several things on stone, so trying to throw all of those through the window is really, really bad. JJ should have respected what TLJ did thematically and narratively, it would have been the best for the trilogy (if it was on his hands to keep it, probably not)

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say is much worse trying to change stuff at the end of a narrative, than at the start. After all, TFA mostly sets up a possible road, there was nothing in stone. Not Kylo and Ren relationship, neither's Luke character, people says they changed Luke, but TFA basically is 2 seconds of Luke, even if not expected Rian giving Luke another character's arc is not jarring narratively is jarring only for people preconceived idea of Luke's character.

TLJ does set several things on stone, so trying to throw all of those through the window is really, really bad. JJ should have respected what TLJ did thematically and narratively, it would have been the best for the trilogy (if it was on his hands to keep it, probably not)

Lets also not forget JJ wasn't supposed to be involved with the 3rd part. Suddenly he's thrusted upon by Disney in having to course correct the ship so to speak. Even the best Director's can only do so much when blindsided like that.

Look at Peter Jackson and the Hobbit. Dude had to salvage a train wreck.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Let's start by this: I like TLJ and what Rian Johnson did to the universe.

Just finished watching it. I read some reviews and thought I was prepared. I am still underwhelmed by how safe it is. I don't think I can rank the series right now since I just watched this and it has been some time since I watched the others, but I will say this: I think this is the worst one in the sequels. I was fine with JJ Abrams as the director of TFA. We needed a palette cleanser after the prequel and they needed to remind us what made SW good. Safe movie? Absolutely, but still needed. Rian Johnson had some new idea for the universe. I respect what he did even though a lot of fans didn't like it. The dynamic between Rey and Kylo was good and something that could work on. This movie went so safe. Rian Johnson may want to subvert your expectations, but the twists from this were out of nowhere. The gotcha element was so strong. Like in Double Toasted review, JJ Abrams probably check some boxes when making it. As bad as the prequels are, I still respect what George Lucas is trying to do by adding more new ideas around. I might rank this below RotS, but I need to rewatch that movie again.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Saw it last night. I liked most of it. There were some clumsy bits and the first 45 minutes or so feels like a video game plot mixed with a tonne of exposition. Then it finds it's feet and brings it home. I loved some parts of it. I thought it made sense narratively and the impact on The Last Jedi wasn't as bad as some have made out. The trilogy does feel disjointed, which was my main fear, but I can live with it in this form.

I feel like Disney have done well with the run so far. I think fans are prone to nitpicking the minutiae of each film - I know I am guilty of this. But at the end of the day, I don't think they are meant to be taken so seriously. Most of the films, including the OT, fall apart the moment you apply any criticial thinking to them. TROS is no different in that regard.

Here's my ranking so you can see where my opinion lies in relation to your own:

ESB>ANH>RO=FA>ROS>ROTJ=TLJ>SOLO>>>ROTS>TPM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AOTC

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I fucking loved this movie. Its one short coming is that it had to overcome the garbage of a story and timeline that TLJ left behind in its wake.
Timeline? The Last Jedi left the universe in a state where any amount of time could pass. 2 years, 5 years, 10 years and the resistance's forced being replenished could be explained by that.

Story?The Last Jedi left the universe in a state where the conflict could be much more personal between Rey and Kylo and hints at a new generation of strong force users. Some following Kylo. Some following Rey. Neither leading by Dogma of old.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Watched it last night. I was hoping for a better film, but it was far from terrible for me. It actually feels better today, than it did when I exited the theatre.

Rey was great, love her, up there with Luke, Leia and Solo for me. Also liked Ren. Dialogue was not as good, and I was hoping the "feels" scenes would be a bit better. Still, it's a good way to wrap everything up.

For me: Empire > Hope > TLJ > TFA > Rise > Return > Prequels. I know, I managed to put the new trilogy above Return of the Jedi, and put TLJ ahead of Abrams films, and yet, this is how I feel - I know a lot of people would disagree.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just saw this. Some of the prequels were significantly better movies than this.

The first half is flat out incompetent editing and storytelling.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucked up. I had a ticket for 6pm. I overslept and it is now 630pm.

Gonna see if they will let me swap for the next showing...

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Boyega should really take the Disney+ series, maybe he can have some plot or romance on it XD dude is getting wrecked in every episodes of the trilogy XD