• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): posting major spoilers with no description in a non-spoiler thread, ignoring modpost
mod edit: no spoilers in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
cmon guys, lets get back to talking shit about how terrible these new star wars films have all been, minus rogue one.

Can't we at least agree on that...?

I thought Rogue One was a pathetically empty film with miserable protagonists and a narrative that added virtually nothing to the universe. 🤷‍♂️ The droid was the only character I liked.

Everyone's gonna think different things about these movies.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be honest: I really don't know how anyone read that scene as anything other than an illustration of a point. It wasn't "LOOK AT THIS NEW KID PROTAGONIST", it was "look at what Luke's sacrifice did: it inspired the downtrodden!"
Luke's sacrifice didn't make him Force sensitive, though. I get what they were trying to do but that kid was going to crush his master's throat with the Force in a few years anyway.
I found more inspiring the final sacrifice of the ex Temple guard, Chirrut, in Rogue One. He wasn't Force sensitive but were able to make a difference in the end.
(I still believe RO wasn't a good movie but it had its moments)

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of the recent movies are bad, but... They were all kind of just there I guess? Like they are well done movies in the cinematography sense, but I never felt "oh wow I loved this"

I loved endgame, I loved Spiderman Multiverse movie, so is not because they are family movies. They need to revisit the universe and try to expand it and find more meaningful themes to explore, which TLJ tried but they didn't get deep..

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Luke's sacrifice didn't make him Force sensitive, though. I get what they were trying to do but that kid was going to crush his master's throat with the Force in a few years anyway.
I found more inspiring the final sacrifice of the ex Temple guard, Chirrut, in Rogue One. He wasn't Force sensitive but were able to make a difference in the end.
(I still believe RO wasn't a good movie but it had its moments)

Chirrut was Force-sensitive, he just wasn't a Jedi. That was kind of the point of his character - he was able to interface with the Force but his relationship with it was more religious than superpowered.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Why did Finn need a pilot in TFA when he confessed he couldn't fly a ship and then was flying one in the ending of TLJ with absolutely no training whatsoever?

are you talking about the thing he tries to sacrifice himself with? That was not a ship. It was basically a speeder. The star wars equivalent of a car.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I thought Rogue One was a pathetically empty film with miserable protagonists and a narrative that added virtually nothing to the universe. 🤷‍♂️ The droid was the only character I liked.

Indeed. I found the cast charmingly human and not as cheesy as the ST cast, in spite of their lack of screentime and still hokey antics on occasion. The story didn't NEED to be told but I'm very happy that it was. It showed another perspective outside of the Jedi and Sith ballet and made the universe richer for it. And this movie wasn't afraid to go all in on sacrifice for the greater good in the face of overwhelming odds. I mean, okay, we knew they were gonna die from the premise. But the journey there made me care still in spite of its mishaps and chaotic first 2/3rds.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's not much of a need to remember the Rogue One cast considering they all get BTFO.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

dagoba-force-cave.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How is Era feedback for this film? Can you chime in if you've seen it, and let me know how you felt about TFA and TLJ too?

Very curious.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait do people actually equate holdo and Finn suicide missions?

That's so fucking dumb. Finn would have been melted 100%. What did he think that speed was gonna do. That's why rose stopped him. He was being fucking dumb.

holdo jumping a massive ship into another one is completely different.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait do people actually equate holdo and Finn suicide missions?

That's so fucking dumb. Finn would have been melted 100%. What did he think that speed was gonna do. That's why rose stopped him. He was being fucking dumb.

holdo jumping a massive ship into another one is completely different.

Yup. His speeder was already coming apart before she knocked him out of the way. He was going to die and accomplish nothing.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Chirrut was Force-sensitive, he just wasn't a Jedi. That was kind of the point of his character - he was able to interface with the Force but his relationship with it was more religious than superpowered.
I thought he just believed in the Force like a religion. I remember that proper Temple guards had light sabers so I assumed he was like a lower hierarchy temple worker who wasn't Force sensitive.
Edit: ok, it seems he was force sensitive but with lesser talent so he wasn't picked for training, maybe? Broom kid, was able to move things with his mind with no training. He would have been picked as a Padawan for sure during Republic times.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
How is Era feedback for this film? Can you chime in if you've seen it, and let me know how you felt about TFA and TLJ too?

Very curious.
I like both TFA and TLJ a fair bit, with TLJ being the better of the two. TROS is a mess of a film, a real mixed bag. A decent enough 2 hours at the cinema but overall I think it's only just better than episodes 1 and 2 as far as SW films go.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that people are saying "plot armor" ,"bad comedy", and "plot holes" as criticisms clearly shows the kind of lens we view these films.

Still, I don't think finding one director helming all these films is a bad idea if they were forcing themselves into a 3 film arc so you get some consistent tones and themes. If they had longer production times with no real end point pre-plan it actually gives everyone in pre-production and post production way more time to find footing for these characters. In the end TLJ was the only good film out of the bunch, and that's because Rian Johnson submitted script way earlier than the flash. The OT had Kasdan and George writing each time too which helped immensely.

I truly believe most fans would've liked the films in the end if there was one writer regardless of director, or at least just one director if we're changing writers.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I thought he just believed in the Force like a religion. I remember that proper Temple guards had light sabers so I assumed he was like a lower hierarchy temple worker who wasn't Force sensitive.
He's force sensitive. It's more subtle than say pulling a lightsaber from a distance but he was able to fight blind with a staff against multiple troopers with no problem.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I'll wait for more ofc, but the first two reactions have been the usual response I've had from people who liked the first two films.

I'm deciding if I'm going to see this tomorrow night or after x-mas.. .are the potential spoilers big? If so, that'll probably swing it for me.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017

Very curious.
I like TFA a lot, absolutely love TLJ. This is kind of a sequel to TFA, good but messy, with a little more emotion but also goofiness. Will watch again for better judgement, overall happy about this trilogy and thankful that we got Star Wars back.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't he basically just driving a motorcycle straight forward on a suicide charge? That's a little different from piloting a ship.
are you talking about the thing he tries to sacrifice himself with? That was not a ship. It was basically a speeder. The star wars equivalent of a car.
You'd think so, but it was actually quite advanced. According to tie-in material...

Captain Poe Dameron once remarked that the speeder was essentially "a B-wing that couldn't fly."

It wasn't just a normal speeder. It was described as a terrain ship with a lot of difficult controls and needed skill to handle, as it was prone to stability problems and wobbling in the hands of novice pilots.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
I hate it so much.

Its youtuber level garbage. Cinemasins and others conditioned a generation of moviegoers not to actually engage with that they are watching

Exactly, and the prevelance of YouTube type criticism have exploded with enthusiast channels taking hold, and RLM quoting.

I mean, we're literally on a page talking about if Finn can fly a space motorcycle because canon said it's hard to fly like it's come Plinkett review.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The fact that people are saying "plot armor" ,"bad comedy", and "plot holes" as criticisms clearly shows the kind of lens we view these films.

Still, I don't think finding one director helming all these films is a bad idea if they were forcing themselves into a 3 film arc so you get some consistent tones and themes. If they had longer production times with no real end point pre-plan it actually gives everyone in pre-production and post production way more time to find footing for these characters. In the end TLJ was the only good film out of the bunch, and that's because Rian Johnson submitted script way earlier than the flash. The OT had Kasdan and George writing each time too which helped immensely.

I truly believe most fans would've liked the films in the end if there was one writer regardless of director, or at least just one director if we're changing writers.
I know Star Wars isn't a traditional science fiction movie, but it's not really unreasonable to want a sci-fi world to be coherent and believable instead of contrived for plot convenience.

The phrase "plot hole" has been ruined by Youtube click bait, but that shouldn't be carte blanche to have your created universes breakdown under the slightest amount of scrutiny.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017

Very curious.

Leaning very negative, but not sure I am being very fair about it. Some of the character work was nice and I really like the cast in general, but the some of those story choices just had my head spinning.

Edit: Love TLJ enjoy TFA, just for framing.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I know Star Wars isn't a traditional science fiction movie, but it's not really unreasonable to want a sci-fi world to be coherent and believable instead of contrived for plot convenience.

The phrase "plot hole" has been ruined by Youtube click bait, but that shouldn't be carte blanche to have your created universes breakdown over the slightest amount of scrutiny.
TBF the whole SW universe breaks under the lightest critical eye. The Force is pure plot device, for starters. Literally an in-universe Deus Ex Machina if the writers wish it so.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a heavily overseen corporate production environment such as this, the director really shouldn't be an issue unless you give them free reign to do literally whatever they want. Whatever latitude Rian Johnson was given, I'm sure he didn't have carte blanche. His choices were sanctioned by the execs. The real mistake was not having a coherent story in place for all three films before beginning. They needed a guideline for the directors to stick to.

KK has said that she leaves final say up to the directors (unless she fires them I guess?)
FUCK OFF
FUCK THE ABSOLUTE OFF

To be fair Rey was never a nobody even in TFA.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
You'd think so, but it was actually quite advanced. According to tie-in material...

It wasn't just a normal speeder. It was described as a terrain ship with a lot of difficult controls and needed skill to handle, as it was prone to stability problems and wobbling in the hands of novice pilots.
So tie-in material retconned TFA? Ok.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
TBF the whole SW universe breaks under the lightest critical eye. The Force is pure plot device, for starters. Literally an in-universe Deus Ex Machina if the writers wish it so.
It's treated that way but it didn't have to be. There are plenty of great sci-fi universes that include psychic powers that don't feel so much like writer fiat.

Akira and Gundam come to mind right off the bat

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017

The phrase "plot hole" has been ruined by Youtube click bait, but that shouldn't be carte blanche to have your created universes breakdown under the slightest amount of scrutiny.

If in universe logic breaking things happen and feel like it hurts the character's growth or it distracts from the film for you that's a fair criticism. What's not fair is coming from it at an angle where "Finn/Poe/Rey couldn't do that because general grevious in Clone Wars cartoon said he's the only one to hold Kaiber crystals" or some bullshit. Like how can any characters develop on screen if we pidgeonhole them to the weight of so many in-universe logic when the on screen action is there to serve in service of the character's development.

Things happen that have not happened before, or changing things from before does not make the film bad. You don't have to like any of the ST, but root it in some actual film assessment. God, we literally have taken anime and comic logic to it's logical conclusion.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's from the design book that literally explains how all the machines and ships work, broken down to their very schematics and was released day and date with TLJ. Doesn't invalidate what I said. Finn shouldn't be able to fly it.
He doesn't fly it. He holds down a throttle and it goes forward, and he has to be told to put the ski down. Flying and piloting an interstellar ship is completely different.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If in universe logic breaking things happen and feel like it hurts the character's growth or it distracts from the film for you that's a fair criticism. What's not fair is coming from it at an angle where "Finn/Poe/Rey couldn't do that because general grevious in Clone Wars cartoon said he's the only one to hold Kaiber crystals" or some bullshit. Like how can any characters develop on screen if we pidgeonhole them to the weight of so many in-universe logic when the on screen action is there to serve in service of the character's development.

Things happen that have not happened before, or changing things from before does not make the film bad. You don't have to like any of the ST, but root it in some actual film assessment. God, we literally have taken anime and comic logic to it's logical conclusion.
Yeah those aren't really the things that bug me, I'm a huge space nerd so my problems are generally more like when the rebels look up I'm the sky in TFA and can see multiple other planets getting destroyed as if they were floating in D'Qar's upper atmosphere, or when those bombers in TLJ "drop" bombs on Star Destroyers that are floating in space. Or politically when the First Order seems to be basically a terrorist organization within the Republic (based on TFA at least, maybe it's explained in a novel somewhere that they're not but that's what the movie seemed to show) but has the resources to build a trained army and super weapon.

That's the kind of thing that cheapens the universe for me and makes it hard to get invested in the world. I understand why those may not matter to others but my favorite sci-fi movies are the ones where those details matter to the filmmakers and are payed attention to.