• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ isn't well constructed when 2/3 of the film feel like pointless filler. And don't get me wrong, I thought this movie was poor as well. I ultimately couldn't bring myself to care much about either film.
I don't know that I'd call character arcs and themes filler, Canto blight suffers from bloat but the arcs are there.

It's just the pacing and execution are rough is all. Shave down that Canto Blight part and make Holdo less stupid and the chase scene isn't as bad.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
No the Prequels being good are a bad take.
And still there are many people who grew up with them and love those movies. It's frustrating that TLJ is some sort of sacred property and everything else Star wars related can be made fun of.

Is it really so hard to imagine not everyone has the same opinion?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
People rarely know how to end a trilogy, and when they do, it's only a matter of time before they fuck it up again.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Yeah. TLJ retconned TFA too. These films feel like JJ and Johnson having an argument and the audience is caught in the middle lol.

I'm so utterly bored by Star Wars right now.
Not to mention TFA retconned the entire previous movies. Once again I would like to remind everyone that in TFA the entire Republic was wiped out in minutes. The republic the first three movies spent defending, and the next three trying to get back. It is treated as such a non-event in TFA and TLJ that people have forgotten, that this massove catastrophe took place.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
And still there are many people who grew up with them and love those movies. It's frustrating that TLJ is some sort of sacred property and everything else Star wars related can be made fun of.

Yeah, because there's no one making fun of TLJ!!

Just enjoy what you enjoy, bud. Haters gonna hate, and hate fiercely.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Because critics are movie critics not Star Wars fans. TFA is a great movie with some pacing problems (which are ten times worse in TROS), TLJ is a great movie and TROS is an awful movie. That all from all that defines a movie independent on what you think the evolution of the Star Wars characters should be.

And WTF at the "Europeans couldn't relate to Black Panther"???
There are German critics who think BP is a bad movie because it "supports isolationism" for example, so they completely misinterpreted the whole movie. I haven't seen BP myself JFYI.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Saw it at midnight. I hated it. Don't think I've ever seen something so insanely fan-service-y. I lost count of how many times this film tries to beat you over the head by saying "HEY REMEMBER STAR WARS??"

Lousy plot, lousy execution. Quite possibly one of the worst Star Wars movies for me.

There's a cheap "gotcha" near the start and the emotional impact is taken away literally minutes later. Awful, awful movie.

The whole Palpatine nonsense is so contrived and stupid and actively undermines everything that came before it.

Good job JJ, that's Trek and now Wars. What other Sci fi franchises can you ruin?

The Phantom Edit:
At least the music and score are good. And Ian McDairmid hamming it up was fun. I also know how all the TLJ haters feel now, haha.

Last edited:

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, so, I have a question.

If anyone has listened to the TROS soundtrack on Spotify, I can't seem to find the musical cue that was in the first teaser trailer for TROS.

I absolutely adore that piece of music. Does anyone know what track of the OST it's in, if at all?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's frustrating having to deal with this fandom. If a new trilogy came out in 10 years, those same fans would hold this up as better. Because thats just what they do. Hate. And tear down. And suck.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Every review I'm reading sounds like the writers are fucking with everyone, like "See? This is the movie you wanted. See how much it sucks?"

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why liking TLJ is conflated with wokeness.
I'm deeply sad about the shit Kelly Marie Tran had to go through because of being in an awful movie but that doesn't really make me think the movie is good. Just that the creators let her and many others in the cast down.
Star Wars being a battleground for culture wars is peak internet stupidity. It feels like an unfortunate side effect of dumb alt righters hating on Tran's characters made this movie become a supposed litmus test of your political affiliation. In the real world of course people like/dislike the movie in a way that is largely uncorrelated with political affiliation. I found both TFA/TLJ entertaining enough (both better than prequels ) - I hate that they are inconsistent with each other. TFA is a uncreative rehash with very nice characters, TLJ is a significantly more daring and creative outing with terrible humor and what in my mind a couple of terrible writing decisions (the worst is turning luke into an effective McGuffin)

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
What I find funny about the 'TROS is all on JJ' argument is the same complaint of being dealt a bad hand is made for TLJ in regards to TFA's ending plot threads, and the same deterministic sentiment is echoed. So there is a group of people who believe that TLJ was dealt a bad hand but there's also people thinking TROS was dealt a bad hand. I think that argument is pretty defunct. The 'hand' doesn't determine how good a movie is gonna be.
I don't know that I'd call character arcs and themes filler, Canto blight suffers from bloat but the arcs are there.

It's just the pacing and execution are rough is all. Shave down that Canto Blight part and make Holdo less stupid and the chase scene isn't as bad.
My issue with the chase scene is there's no sense of speed or urgency, what with small ships flying in and out of the combat zone like they're going to starbucks.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I find funny about the 'TROS is all on JJ' argument is the same complaint of being dealt a bad hand is made for TLJ in regards to TFA's ending plot threads, and the same deterministic sentiment is echoed. So there is a group of people who believe that TLJ was dealt a bad hand but

My issue with the chase scene is there's no sense of speed or urgency, what with small ships flying in and out of the combat zone like they're going to starbucks.
To be fair small ships have a habit of doing this.

RotS
ANH
ESB
TFA

There's precedent. :P

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
What I find funny about the 'TROS is all on JJ' argument is the same complaint of being dealt a bad hand is made for TLJ in regards to TFA's ending plot threads, and the same deterministic sentiment is echoed. So there is a group of people who believe that TLJ was dealt a bad hand but there's also people thinking TROS was dealt a bad hand. I think that argument is pretty defunct. The 'hand' doesn't determine how good a movie is gonna be.

At the very basic level TFA ends with a cliffhanger while TLJ doesn't.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I hope this is sarcasm because my eyeballs nearly rolled out of their sockets.

I don't mean Era ONLY likes it. I'm just saying this is the place I see with the most defenders. Not an insult or anything really, just an observation.
Nope, fuck them for holding TFA on a pedestal above it when it was all questions and no answers then they got pissed when they got answers they didn't like.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fun Fact, when doing the Trilogy watch last night I actually enjoyed the Canto Blight chase scene this time around.

I dunno, after my country decided to go Full Brexit and Conservative there was a bit of Catharsism involved seeing a scene that was basically destroying what the rich had wrongly acquired.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The TLJ was a complete mess, this attempts fix this but it went too far. JJ should have made all three, or Disney should have set out the story for the three films

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
JJ should have stopped trying to make his cake once Rian shit in his batter. He should have just let it be and gone and done something else. Instead he decided to put the thing in the oven and stubbornly eats the whole thing through tears.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
To be fair small ships have a habit of doing this.

RotS
ANH
ESB
TFA

There's precedent. :P
Yeah I know lol, but seeing the small ships just kinda moving along as the capital ship gets bombarded while moving relatively much, much slower was funny to see.

At the very basic level TFA ends with a cliffhanger while TLJ doesn't.
That really isn't here nor there with regards to a director being given a bad hand and that forcing them to make their movie a certain way. Nothing is forcing them. Not JJ, and not Johnson. And I think both would agree and own their work.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

None was handed a 'bad hand', the issue is that none of both was handed the cards they wanted. You would think Disney would be smart enough to plan a trilogy of movies with a dedicated group of people and don't make stuff as going. Changing directors mid trilogy twice is a mistake, specially when they clearly has very different visions.

Get a group of people get the reigns of the saga at let them do their thing and fuck internet. Get Lindeloff.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame him specifically, but I do blame Disney. It's a terrible idea to have two directors with vastly different visions try to make a trilogy.

Either have Abrams or Johnson do the whole thing start to finish. Because it's obvious neither were willing to work together.
I disagree with this narrative somewhat. I don't think Johnson has tried to 'disrespect' Abrams' vision. I think he genuinely tried to answer the questions posed in TFA in a way that he deemed to be most satisfying to the audience.

However, it's hard to look at TROS and not feel like it's an answer to fan backlash. It doesn't disrespect TLJ outright, in fact, in many ways it tries to copy what TLJ did, especially regarding Kylo and Rey's relationship. Some aspects of it, though, like Rey's lineage and sidelining Rose Trico, are pandering to fan backlash in a big way.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Rose being sidelined is most likely the result of her character not being that interesting in the first place in TLJ. It's always been about the trio of Rey, Finn, and Poe.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I don't think Johnson has tried to 'disrespect' Abrams' vision. I think he genuinely tried to answer the questions posed in TFA in a way that he deemed to be most satisfying to the audience.
Yeah, I don't agree. At least, not completely. For the most part, sure, but stuff like Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder and Snoke being a nobody felt like deliberate attempts at Johnson trashing Abrams plot threads.

I mean, would Palpatine even need to come back if Johnson did something more interesting with Snoke?

Probably not, but I'll probably catch heat for that opinion.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Disney have no excuses. They bought Lucasfilm the year Avengers made bank. They saw the benefits of planning out films carefully and being patient. Then they farted it away because they wanted the money NOW.

Imagine if the three LotR films had been filmed separately with 2-3 different directors. They're not perfect, but there's no question they are consistently Peter Jackson's vision.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't agree. At least, not completely. For the most part, sure, but stuff like Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder and Snoke being a nobody felt like deliberate attempts at Johnson trashing Abrams plot threads.

I mean, would Palpatine even need to come back if Johnson did something more interesting with Snoke?

You're probably right about that one. It'd also make Kylo's redemption a sensible arc in TLJ...which he threw away as well in that film.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm so curious what the discourse around the film will be. At least with TLJ the people
who adored could point to attempts to tackle deep, unconventional ( for SW) themes. Is this really going to be nothing but " Crowd pleaser/I was entertained/
It's fun/ ITS ABOUT SPACE WIZARDS FFS/pure SW fan love" like... is that going to be the level of positive analysis and critique we will be getting ? Is that what we've been reduced to because if so yiiiiiikes

Last edited:

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
I'm so curious what the discourse around the film will be. At least with TLJ the people
who adored could point to attempts to tackle deep, unconventional ( for SW) themes. This is it really going to be nothing but " Crowd pleaser/I was entertained/
It's fun/ ITS ABOUT SPACE WIZARDS FFS/pure SW fan love" like... is that going to be the level of positive analysis and critique we will be getting ? Is that what we've been reduced to because if so yiiiiiikes
Just TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF and enjoy!!!

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A lot of things that JJ set to be important like Rey's parents or Luke receiving the lightsaber, Rian thought was trash and threw that stuff in the bin. I think that was the right call on Rian's part. The problem is that Kennedy went back to JJ which makes me think that Kennedy either got blowback about TLJ from someone or the themes went over her head or whatever. In any case, picking JJ to pick up after TLJ seems to have been the absolutely wrong call as why would JJ play along with a movie that so strongly disagrees with what JJ feels SW is?

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
There's a cheap "gotcha" near the start and the emotional impact is taken away literally minutes later. Awful, awful movie.

That 'gotcha' was the first in a string of ones.. there were way too many. It felt like something from a weekly shonen manga at one point.

• Chewie dead? Nah, he isn't. Gotcha!
  • C3PO gone? Nah, R2-D2 booted that stuff straight back up again. Gotcha!
  • Kylo stabbed in the gut by Rey? Nah, got that healing power right here. Gotcha!
  • Ben yeeted into the pit? Nah, he missed the party but he crawls back out. Gotcha!
  • Rey dead? NAH! Ben gotta pay back his dues. Gotcha!
  • Ben dead again? Na.. oh shit, wait.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
A lot of things that JJ set to be important like Rey's parents or Luke receiving the lightsaber, Rian thought was trash and threw that stuff in the bin. I think that was the right call on Rian's part. The problem is that Kennedy went back to JJ which makes me think that Kennedy either got blowback about TLJ from someone or the themes went over her head or whatever. In any case, picking JJ to pick up after TLJ seems to have been the absolutely wrong call as why would JJ play along with a movie that so strongly disagrees with what JJ feels SW is?
The fact that this disagreement was even allowed is a travesty and a huge blunder from Kennedy/Disney. Multi billion dollar project hinges on two bickering directors. Smh

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine didn't need to come back even with what Johnson did with Snoke and it's response.

It genuinely saddens me that people think the only way the story functions is if there is an evil old guy, ANY evil old guy, in charge of the bad guys to oppose, even if they have to dig him up from a 40 year old grave.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017

Don't flatter the spiciness of your own take :P

I wholly disagree with the notion of Luke tossing the saber being disrespectful to TFA's setup. That moment could only have been a completely saccharine copout if Luke suddenly remembered that he's a worthy Jedi just because someone gave him his lightsaber back.

Snoke could never become anything other than Emperor-Lite, so I actually agree with both Johnson for killing him off to further another character's emotional arc, and with Abrams for bringing the actual Emperor back (if and only if what you desperately want for your story is a facsimile of the Original Trilogy). It's just that the Emperor was brought back in the most uninteresting, confusing and non-compelling way possible.

To be fair, Rose being sidelined is most likely the result of her character not being that interesting in the first place in TLJ. It's always been about the trio of Rey, Finn, and Poe.
Only for TROS to introduce a new female interest for Finn to get distracted by? Finn had nothing to do in TROS but run behind Rey and scream her name once in a while. The female distraction could just as easily have been Rose again.