• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hindenblewp

Oct 27, 2017
It's indicative of the quality of the movie. Some people would consider that a spoiler.
giphy.gif

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I knew that when the review embargo was going to be lifted today I worried about what it would get for it's scores for days and here it is. Having the review embargo lifted on the same day as it releases in various countries is usually not a great sign and this is proof of that.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
People are making fun of you, but I agree, standards on spoilers have been raised.

I really resent Disney for spoiling Episode 9 when they stated they were making Episode 9. Really ruined my experience of being surprised at the theater and realizing they made Episode 9 of Star Wars. Not just that, they even spoiled the existence of Episode 7 and 8.

I managed to stay clear for a while. But I spoiled myself by buying the ticket.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Disney's next step is probably to just remake the OT.

Nope, from here on out it's the wildcard.
They don't seem to really grasp what to do and how to "fix" their problem, so they might just turn to pitches with a strong vision behind them.

Going with even more corporate identity won't work and they know it.
Watch them get people to work on this that knew how to take their own spin on the MCU successfully. Russos, James Gunn or Waititi incoming.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they committed to a fucking trilogy without a damn outline. Like, how in the hell? Why would they allow such a thing?

They had an outline:

J.J. Abrams Wrote Drafts For Star Wars 8 and 9, Says Daisy Ridley

"Here's what I think I know. J. J. wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII & IX. Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote TLJ entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way.

"Rian Johnson and J. J. Abrams met to discuss all of this, although Episode VIII is still his very own work. I believe Rian didn't keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII."

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
AOTC is a strange film because when it came out, you had people saying it was an improvement over TPM, while others said it was worse.

If memory serves right, the first positive reactions towards AotC were mostly because the film was less clearly aimed at a young audience and lacked Jat Jar. I remember the consensus turning real bad real quick though

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If memory serves right, the first positive reactions towards AotC were mostly because the film was less clearly aimed at a young audience and lacked Jat Jar. I remember the consensus turning real bad real quick though
The thing I remember most about it is that the 'Ain't it cool news' guy saw an early version of it and was raving about how good it was lol

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
She's not even sure herself. She says "here's what I think I know".

True, but it lines up with the initial reports back in '13 or '14(?) that said Abrams was attached to all three. And he and Kasdan wrote a whole book about the universe the new trilogy would take place in.

Everything around the reporting at the time seemed to suggest that Abrams had a rough outline in place for the trilogy.

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed but not surprised by the reviews. Can't win them all, i suppose.

I wonder how the review bombing will turn out since this excerpt is already the most "helpful" review on IMDB:

This is basically just a movie made by a committee - a movie made by a corporation, trying to pander and please as many demographics as possible. Like; we need to have 50% men and 50% women in the movie - we need to have 25% Asians, 25% Africans, 25% Hispanics and 25% Caucasians (who of course mostly should be evil).

As someone who liked Star Wars a whole lot when I was a kid, it's just sad that it's become a proxy fight in a cultural war where some people use it as a thinly veiled mask to hide their true issues.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The thing I remember most about it is that the 'Ain't it cool news' guy saw an early version of it and was raving about how good it was lol

I'm glad that I had no real access to American internet with 12 in my tiny Bavarian home "town". Star wars was and still is at least a little bit less of a big deal here in Germany and the discussion tends to be a little less toxic because of thst, at least as far my anecdotal evidence counts here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
True, but it lines up with the initial reports back in '13 or '14(?) that said Abrams was attached to all three. And he and Kasdan wrote a whole book about the universe the new trilogy would take place in.

Everything around the reporting at the time seemed to suggest that Abrams had a rough outline in place for the trilogy.

Abrams was never attached to all three. It was always intended for two other directors to helm 8 and 9.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god this thread is 62 pages already! I can't even begin to catch up, but looking at these reviews all I have to say is...

KNIVES OUT, OUT NOW IN ALL MAJOR CITIES!

But seriously, I'm very curious to see what the greater internet discourse around this film is once everyone sees it. I expected the review split.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all should read the Polygon review, it's really great - this paragraph is a pretty fantastic summation of JJ's filmmaking style, pretty much exactly what I thought about TFA despite liking it a lot (spoilered just in case).

The nonstop pace is an advantage in some ways for The Rise of Skywalker. It makes the film feel like a sped-up victory tour around the Star Wars galaxy, as the protagonists hop rapidly from one planet and conflict to the next, meeting new allies and worrying over past foes. The gasping pace doesn't leave much time for contemplating plot holes, or noticing that the stakes feel lighter than ever, even though in theory, entire planets are on the line. It also doesn't leave time for further character development, any form of nuance, or even a moment's reflection on the passing of an age. The Rise of Skywalker pointedly opens with a series of action scenes featuring different characters in different environments, all charging forward with such a frantic, breathless intensity that the audience is blocked from wondering why or whether any of the action matters. And that energy rarely lets up over the course of close to two and half hours.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god this thread is 62 pages already! I can't even begin to catch up, but looking at these reviews all I have to say is...

KNIVES OUT, OUT NOW IN ALL MAJOR CITIES!

But seriously, I'm very curious to see what the greater internet discourse around this film is once everyone sees it. I expected the review split.

the reactions are always more entertaining than the movie itself

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
i love the moment to moment directing and characters in tfa
i love the themes and story in tlj

can we just get a movie written by rian johnson but directed by jj?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Game of Thrones season 8 more than the previous 4 seasons but I don't act surprised when people tell me it retroactively ruined the whole series for them.

So let me get this straight. The only person stating that the trilogy is "tanking" is the poster I responded to. They also claim that RJ "stans" are happy with said tanking because it vindicates RJ. How is that comparable to what you're describing in regards to GoT? Not to mention, new Star Wars film hasn't even opened wide yet. So people are having the trilogy ruined for them based off of reading reviews, even though the vast majority have yet to watch the film itself?